[Guide] OS X iAtkos 1.0i Leopard Install on Dell Vostro 1400, 1500, 1700 / Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720 with GMA X3100

kristoff

206 posts in this topic

Anyone have luck with iatkos 10.5.1 r2 ? I keep getting the message "Error loading operating system" after install. This DVD is definitely a smoother installation, and does not black out the screen, as it has extended x3100 support. But Post-installation, I am unable to boot. Going to include this in the guide if I can get it working. Thanks.

I did my Vostro 1400 (with X3100) install with the new r2 DVD. I picked everything under the EFI boot loader tree. I also have a partition with linux in order to be able to boot without the DVD. I have GRUB point to my OS X partition, which in turn starts the leopard boot process.

I once had the exact issue you're describing where is said that it had an error when loading the operating system. That was when I was trying to restore from a flat file image of my leopard install. The reason why this happens is because the boot loader is not properly installed after restoring an image to a partition. Now, since you did a flesh install, I imagine your issue is related to choosing something wrong in the installer.

successfully installed iatkos 1.0r2; there was no sleep problem during installation ie. 5 minutes sleep was not required

selected darwin x86 efi bootloader without stock kernel; selected gma x3100 ; didnt select any patches, just selected only one driver broadcom network. didnt select anything from system menu.

after installation darwin bootloader came. you can select first partition if u want to boot windows.

on first boot when it gets to blue screen; now the same problem came again, so i followed exactly 11 minutes sleep method . then it came out of sleep. then i had setup one corner sleep display. because the sleep problem still exist( just installation was fine ).

1.the only difference i found was that it now detects battery and power adapter, u can add menu for battery . because of power management bundle.

2. on some boots pressing power button gets the display on instantly and you dont require

mouse pointer sleep wake ( but i.e only on some boots)

otherwise you have to scractch the mouse on pad for atleast 1min to get display on.

config: dell inspiron 1520

core 2 duo 1.5 ghz

gma x3100

plz kristoff give permanent solution for gma x3100 sleep wake problem, there are links to two threads

on gma x3100 and sleep on macgirls compilation for dell laptops, plz check them.

successfully installed iatkos 1.0r2; there was no sleep problem during installation ie. 5 minutes sleep was not required

selected darwin x86 efi bootloader without stock kernel; selected gma x3100 ; didnt select any patches, just selected only one driver broadcom network. didnt select anything from system menu.

after installation darwin bootloader came. you can select first partition if u want to boot windows.

on first boot when it gets to blue screen; now the same problem came again, so i followed exactly 11 minutes sleep method . then it came out of sleep. then i had setup one corner sleep display. because the sleep problem still exist( just installation was fine ).

1.the only difference i found was that it now detects battery and power adapter, u can add menu for battery . because of power management bundle.

2. on some boots pressing power button gets the display on instantly and you dont require

mouse pointer sleep wake ( but i.e only on some boots)

otherwise you have to scractch the mouse on pad for atleast 1min to get display on.

config: dell inspiron 1520

core 2 duo 1.5 ghz

gma x3100

plz kristoff give permanent solution for gma x3100 sleep wake problem, there are links to two threads

on gma x3100 and sleep on macgirls compilation for dell laptops, plz check them.

Can you post this solution?

Thanks for the guide, kristoff! My main problem is that I can't get wifi to work. I have a Inspiron 1420 N (Ubuntu pre-installed). Looks like a Intel 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card. Any ideas why wireless isn't working? Airport is off and can't be turned on. Any help is appreciated.

Anyone have luck with iatkos 10.5.1 r2 ? I keep getting the message "Error loading operating system" after install. This DVD is definitely a smoother installation, and does not black out the screen, as it has extended x3100 support. But Post-installation, I am unable to boot. Going to include this in the guide if I can get it working. Thanks.

I installed with iATKOS 10.5.1 r2 after I patched it from here.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88404

I just installed the first patch without patching with the bad bios patch.

I am dual booting from a single 160 GB drive on a new i1720.

I resized my vista drive using the disk management in vista and gave it a 50 GB partition that I left unalloted.

I then used gParted live to delete all the recovery and media direct partitions. I formated the 10 gig recovery and the new 50 GB to fat 32 and flaged the 50 GB as bootable.

I did find I need to set the Hard drive to ata in the bios or this disk won't see the drive.

I selected Darwin EFI boot and the intel video drivers. The install went as expected with the screen going black. 11 minutes later I was filling out the registration.

I did have to poke around a little before I found the hot corners with the screen savers.

After setting up Leopard I used gparted again to flag windows as bootable and had to repair with the vista dvd to boot back into windows. After that I set up Easy BCD to add OSX into the windows bootloader. I also have hit a key and select OSX or it Darwin will boot back into the windows bootloader.

Edited: I went back into Easy BCD and removed OSX from the windows boot loader and set the timeout to 0 I then booted back to the g-parted live and set the OSX partition as boot and just use Darwin bootloader.

I do have a few bugs with the install. from time to time when I boot into osx my drives will not show up on the desktop. When this happens nothing will stick to the desktop if you drag it to it. This would happen some with Tiger on my i9300 also.

Edited: I have found when this does happen I can just log off and log back on and the missing drives will show up.

The screen going black seems to be from a resolution change more then power management. If you manualy change it it will go black again. I know when I started my 9300 it would change resolution to 1440x900 after it booted and the 1720 seemes to be doing the same thing when it goes black.

Edited for Sound: I know this is covered but this thread jumps all over so I hope to make it as simple as it really is.

Download the AppleHDAPatcher the stac9205txt and the appleHDA.kext from post 223 here. (Right click download attatched file.)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7926&st=220

Delete the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the system/library/extensions. I think the patcher will do this but it only takes a second.

Open the patcher and drag the frogs face to the desktop.

Drag the stac9205txt file on to the Frog icon. Enter your password. It will tell you it is done.

Next replace your appleHDA.kext with the one you downloaded. (drag your old one from System/library/extensions to the trash, password, drag the new one into it's place, authenticate, password.)

Next use the disk utility to repair your disk and reboot.

You should have sound.

hello,

Do you know if it's possible to set the dell media direct button launching MAC OS X and the normal power button launching VISTA?

Furthermore, I have no success to pair my mouse MICROSOFT LASER 8000. Do you have any idea why?

Thanks

edit: My mouse is now working!!!!!!!

I'm going to be revising this guide within the next week, but would like to get as much helpful information posted before I do. If anyone has ANY tips on getting sleep to work correctly, and preventing the display from blacking out during login / resolution change, please post here and I will include it in the original guide (credited to you, of course!).

Clues: the display does not black out during login for me after I use the GParted LIVECD, and shut off the computer without exiting the gparted program. I believe that this somehow tweaks the power management settings.

Hope to hear from you!

Well it's not a total fix but you can download Sleep display from here.

http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Aspe...load-27923.html

If you drag it to the dock and select open at log in once it opens any mouse movement or key stroke will bring your display back.

Edited to add that this doesn't work for resolution change.

hello,

I've succeded to connect my mouse to my computer (without pairing it because it doesn't work!)

Furthermore, I've done a keyboard.layout in AZERTY for vostro 1700 keypad. So you may use it if you are azerty and if you are qwerty, you need just to do small changes with ukulele.

I've put in the archive 2 files found on the internet to set the "home" and "end" keys working as on windows (i.e Home bring you to the beginning of the line, end to the end of the line)

There are 2 files for the keyfixer because firefox needs the second file to be patched

Hope it helps you

Now, I've a new problem:

I cannot access to "mouse and keypad" in system preferences. It stays loading indefinitely and never loads!

Do you know why?

Thanks

Archive.zip

Well it's not a total fix but you can download Sleep display from here.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/32332

If you drag it to the dock and select open at log in once it opens any mouse movement or key stroke will bring your display back.

Edited to add that this doesn't work for resolution change.

Do Not use the Sleep Display, it will mess up your wireless connection and it not working better than the space sleep method.

Do Not use the Sleep Display, it will mess up your wireless connection and it not working better than the space sleep method.

I've been using it now for several days and have had no problems what so ever. I wait about 8 seconds or so after the screen goes black and hit any key and my display is on.

Wireless is connected by the time my display is on and the bluetooth mouse shortly after.

Edited to add that I fixed the link. The original link was to a widget, what I'm using is the Application. Anyway it should work fine.

THANKS!!!

Worked perfectly for me 1st time on an empty HD. Easy. props to everyone involved. The r3 add-on (what its called as far as I'm concerned) is great.

All had to do is choose ATA in bios, otherwise disc utility would not see anything.

I chose x3100, x86darwin boot only, and I think thats it for customize options.

No 5min blackout, just the 11min one.. which worked like a charm.

Rebooted, and in !! (Vostro 1400) .. Dell Wireless 1490 worked 'out of the box' and battery meter too.

THANKS AGAIN!!

my only question is... I have to wait 2min to get in after logon while playin w/ trackpad and hotcorners (i have it set). and also if my screen goes to sleep on me the hotcorners trick either doesnt work, or takes like 5min sometimes of playin around to get my display back...this nomal?

Hey guys,

I hope your Inspirons and Vostros are running nicely!

If you have any new information on updating the x3100 graphics, or on getting sleep to work correctly, post it here!

I am planning to do a major re-write of this guide at some point in the near future. I would like to gather any useful facts first, and make a really comprehensive, all-in-one solution for Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720, as well as Vostro 1400, 1500, and 1700 - along with other notebooks that have similar configurations. Thanks!

-Kristoff

ANOTHER SLEEP/WAKE METHOD:

download this 'Aspecto' sleep display app from here.

http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Aspe...load-27923.html

move it into your dock and right click on it, selecting to open at log in.

When you turn your laptop on, after the screen goes black, wait about 8-10 seconds, then move your mouse around for a second and you're in.

Props to GimmeRed for this one

it doesn't work for me, I've lost my USB ports and sleep was working before but the problem is to wake up the laptop. It stays black

Furthermore, I've installed DCPUmanager and I can that my two cores are running at 90%! I find this level very high. What are your level with your laptop?

it doesn't work for me, I've lost my USB ports and sleep was working before but the problem is to wake up the laptop. It stays black

Furthermore, I've installed DCPUmanager and I can that my two cores are running at 90%! I find this level very high. What are your level with your laptop?

I can run programs such as ableton live with 15 tracks and vst plug-ins and cpu still says under 10%. same with 3d animation program Maya.

Check your activity monitor.

If there's a reportCrash spiking at 100% and keeps generating more and more... then you've probobly installed something not leopard compatable. If thats the case, reformat and make sure ya dont do it again.

(I had to do that once already after I installed a widget, my machine was unusable and my error reports were not even googlable and forums couldnt help me either...was a nightmare)

yeye, Superhai made another USB ECHI based on Apple Original Sources, he made an easy installer so it is easier to install, just delete PCGen USB EHCI

I tried this one last night on my 1720. It seems to put my laptop to sleep properly when I select sleep,the power light slowly blinks, but I still can't get it to wake up.

I tried this one last night on my 1720. It seems to put my laptop to sleep properly when I select sleep,the power light slowly blinks, but I still can't get it to wake up.

You should look in your system.logs (if it is easier for you go to Console and choose LOG DATABASE QUERIES -> All Messages and go to the entry after "Kernel" "System Sleep". From there and to the startup you might find hints of what causes problems and what is not, but remember that a few errors or failures are due to the fact that the computer is going from/to sleep.