[Guide] OS X iAtkos 1.0i Leopard Install on Dell Vostro 1400, 1500, 1700 / Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720 with GMA X3100

kristoff

206 posts in this topic

i need help everytime I install it take forever (16 hours) and the install didn't finish. It would say can not write to partition (what i named it) and this was half-way through so I switched my hard drive to ata mode instead of ahci and it did install. So I marked it as bootable and when I restarted it said HFS+ error. I did not do that timing thing because my screen did not black out.

Heres my specs:

Dell Inspirion 1720

Intel 9300 @ 2.5 Ghz

4 gb of ram

1680X1200 resolution

8600m Geforce Nvidia

Windows Vista Home Premeium (but I hate windows)

i need help everytime I install it take forever (16 hours) and the install didn't finish. It would say can not write to partition (what i named it) and this was half-way through so I switched my hard drive to ata mode instead of ahci and it did install. So I marked it as bootable and when I restarted it said HFS+ error. I did not do that timing thing because my screen did not black out.

Heres my specs:

Dell Inspirion 1720

Intel 9300 @ 2.5 Ghz

4 gb of ram

1680X1200 resolution

8600m Geforce Nvidia

Windows Vista Home Premeium (but I hate windows)

What distro are you trying to install with? iATKOS normally takes about 30 minutes to install. Also you won't have the screen black out with the Nvidia.

Hi Kristoff, All...

I am trying this method on my Dell 1500 (same specs as the 1700 here, I believe), and get as far as the 11 minute and 20 second sweet spot. So far, not so sweet. Machine just won't spring back to life. Is it possible the timing might be different? Should I not be touching the keyboard or pad for the full 11 minutes?

Thanks in advance for any input (pardon the pun).

Hi Kristoff, All...

I am trying this method on my Dell 1500 (same specs as the 1700 here, I believe), and get as far as the 11 minute and 20 second sweet spot. So far, not so sweet. Machine just won't spring back to life. Is it possible the timing might be different? Should I not be touching the keyboard or pad for the full 11 minutes?

Thanks in advance for any input (pardon the pun).

Your lid should be shut for the 11 minutes so you shouldn't be able to touch anything.

Pull the plug, wait 20 seconds, shut the lid wait 11 minutes, open the lid and you should see the screen come back on.

You could use a startup script to make the display sleep, or use some of several aplications as Login Items to make the display sleep.

Search in MacUpdate or VersionTrakcer for SleepDisplay

somebody else succeeded in getting sleep and waking up working on his vostro 1500. I've asked him to tell what he has exactly done (cf topic: DELL XPS M1330, M1530, V1400, V1700 etc...)

I hope he has found the solution for our vostro/inspiron

Salut yeye,

J'ai moi aussi un 1700

J'aimerais savoir comment tu as fait pour faire marcher les touches multimédias, et comment tu as fait pour avoir le sleep quand tu fermes le capot (le sleep fonctionne chez moi quand je clique sur "suspendre l'activité", mais quand je rabat l'écran rien ne se passe).

Dernière question: As tu toi aussi un problème avec photo booth (chez moi il plante assez souvent)?

Merci.

Hello Yeye,

I have a vostro 1700 too

I'd like to know what you have done to have multimédia keys working, and what you have done to have the sleep working when you "close" the screen (for me, when I close the screen nothing happens but when I click on sleep in the apple menu, sleep is okay).

And, have you a problem with photo booth (it often leaves suddenly on my computer)

Thanks

Salut yeye,

J'ai moi aussi un 1700

J'aimerais savoir comment tu as fait pour faire marcher les touches multimédias, et comment tu as fait pour avoir le sleep quand tu fermes le capot (le sleep fonctionne chez moi quand je clique sur "suspendre l'activité", mais quand je rabat l'écran rien ne se passe).

Dernière question: As tu toi aussi un problème avec photo booth (chez moi il plante assez souvent)?

Merci.

Hello Yeye,

I have a vostro 1700 too

I'd like to know what you have done to have multimédia keys working, and what you have done to have the sleep working when you "close" the screen (for me, when I close the screen nothing happens but when I click on sleep in the apple menu, sleep is okay).

And, have you a problem with photo booth (it often leaves suddenly on my computer)

Thanks

Sleep on shut lid.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=694940

Your lid should be shut for the 11 minutes so you shouldn't be able to touch anything.

Pull the plug, wait 20 seconds, shut the lid wait 11 minutes, open the lid and you should see the screen come back on.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Still no dice though. Tried your suggestion. Also tried closing the lid right away and waiting 11:20. Then tried both with and without plug. Starting to think I might have to go the Kristoff route and try different times while watching TV.

Question: anyone know WHY this happens? I assume it's to do power saving features that are part of the factory BIOS (as Dell's is apparently nothing more than dumbed down overlay of the real deal). With that in mind I am considering reverting to the factory BIOS by popping the MB battery out (upon the advice of a friend), which should give way to the real BIOS UI, including power saving features. Of course, I can't see Dell respecting the warranty after a maneouver like that, so if I'm way off base I'd love to hear any other suggestions.

You know you hate Windows when...

Thank you very much, but, I've a problem:

Sleep was working on my computer, but didn't when I closed the screen.

So, I tested the application of superhai: TurnLidOn.

The problem is, now, my computer doesn't want to wake from sleep.

He goes to sleep, and when I want it to wake, the computer wake but the screen remains black.

What can I do to have my sleep working?

Thanks

Nicolas

Thank you very much, but, I've a problem:

Sleep was working on my computer, but didn't when I closed the screen.

So, I tested the application of superhai: TurnLidOn.

The problem is, now, my computer doesn't want to wake from sleep.

He goes to sleep, and when I want it to wake, the computer wake but the screen remains black.

What can I do to have my sleep working?

Thanks

Nicolas

Have you tried it with the vanilla kernel? I am running a iATKOS 10.5.1 install with a Kalyway combo update to 10.5.2. I installed a vanilla kernel using kalyway's kernel update and was able to get sleep working using this.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=668434

After that I used superhai's lid turn on and everthing works fine with the exception that once in awhile it thinks the 7 key is pressed.I know there is a fix for that too I just haven't bothered.

I later ran the timemachine update and it updateed my kernel to 9.2.2.

Edited to correct kernel version.

Have you tried it with the vanilla kernel? I am running a iATKOS 10.5.1 install with a Kalyway combo update to 10.5.2. I installed a vanilla kernel using kalyway's kernel update and was able to get sleep working using this.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=668434

After that I used superhai's lid turn on and everthing works fine with the exception that once in awhile it thinks the 7 key is pressed.I know there is a fix for that too I just haven't bothered.

I later ran the timemachine update and it updateed my kernel to 10.5.2.

Thank you very much, everything is okay with the vanilla kernel.

I tested vanilla yesterday and it didn't work but, now, it works

Thanks to Kristoff and all the X86 teams.

I got iAtkos 1.0i to install and run fine (apart from the sound so far) on a 1/80gb Dell Inspiron 1520 Celeron M (it was the laptop supplied by AOL/Carphone Whorehouse as part of their broadband deal).

I know the instructions for pulling the power cable sound mad, but they do work.

THe main thing to remember is that if you follow the instructions to letter and they still dont work, its probably because your source download was corrupt or your burning process was bad in some way.... user error ;0)

My AppDell looks fantastic.

EB

so anyone can help me with my problem?

I think a little self help is in order here. Everything you need is covered in the first post of this thread.

You might want to save the people you want to help you some time by posting your specs and your problem when you are asking for help.

One more hint look for hotcorner tip.

I think a little self help is in order here. Everything you need is covered in the first post of this thread.

You might want to save the people you want to help you some time by posting your specs and your problem when you are asking for help.

One more hint look for hotcorner tip.

i couldnt find hotcorners with that name (unless its the setting that you select which corner of the screen does some functions which i did that)

i ve done everything until the - then add it to your login items under "Accounts" in System Preferences. It will put your display to sleep whenever you log in, so you just have to touch any button to get it working! Also - add the option under Hot Corners to put your display to sleep, in case the SleepDisplay app does not work, or in any other situation where you need to get your display back - i.e., when you play a video game and the resolution changes. part. i had to go to work at that point, so i shutted down the system and after i tried to resume things (sound etc) i couldnt get it turn on (black screen no matter the 11 mins or not)

specs vostro 1400 x3100 2gb ram 120gb hdd

Well I know have everything working on dell inspiron 1520 9/10 (prefer coffee:P) thanks for that brill guide :)

Hey Paine,

What did you end up doing to get past this? I'm on my 90th install, and I keep hitting the same wall. Set-up my goodies, install seound, permissions, reboot, poof. Blackness. 11 minutes, 5 minutes, 35 minutes and 23.2 seconds.... nothing.

Thanks Kristoff for the guide! very nice. Got my Vostro 1500 running 95% now, mostly from this thread and macgirl's compilation thread.

Few comments:

For the screen sleep/wait 11 minutes thing during install: I found attaching an external monitor helps figure out how long you need to wait. Just connect an external monitor and wait for it to blank (after about 11 minutes) then move the mouse and both monitors come back on, this also helps on the first boot before applying the hot corners fix.

I also found that the black screen after resolution changes no longer occurs after a sleep/wake. I can play Starcraft and Warcraft fullscreen after a sleep/wake cycle.

You said your media buttons work? I can't get mine to do anything... even with the new keyboard kexts from macgirl's compilation thread.

I've also installed the graphics update normally after 10.5.2 without any problems. Comparing to a real macbook with intel GMA950, the xbench openGL test is a LOT slower, but the cinebench is faster on the x3100 by about 50%. Warcraft III framerates are also slower on the x3100. I've searched around and this may simply be a driver issue with apple? as the x3100 drivers are fairly new while the 950 drivers are very well optimized by now. At least I'm hoping this is the case, and it has nothing to do with our computers being hacks.

Thanks Kristoff for the guide! very nice. Got my Vostro 1500 running 95% now, mostly from this thread and macgirl's compilation thread.

Few comments:

For the screen sleep/wait 11 minutes thing during install: I found attaching an external monitor helps figure out how long you need to wait. Just connect an external monitor and wait for it to blank (after about 11 minutes) then move the mouse and both monitors come back on, this also helps on the first boot before applying the hot corners fix.

I also found that the black screen after resolution changes no longer occurs after a sleep/wake. I can play Starcraft and Warcraft fullscreen after a sleep/wake cycle.

You said your media buttons work? I can't get mine to do anything... even with the new keyboard kexts from macgirl's compilation thread.

I've also installed the graphics update normally after 10.5.2 without any problems. Comparing to a real macbook with intel GMA950, the xbench openGL test is a LOT slower, but the cinebench is faster on the x3100 by about 50%. Warcraft III framerates are also slower on the x3100. I've searched around and this may simply be a driver issue with apple? as the x3100 drivers are fairly new while the 950 drivers are very well optimized by now. At least I'm hoping this is the case, and it has nothing to do with our computers being hacks.

I've seen where the sleep and wake cycle has fixed other problems for sound and video on other systems but I never thought to try it for resolution change but that does work for me too. Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just a quick question for audio:

My audio works fine, but no mute of course. But Ihave to switch manually between internal speakers and headphone jack in sound preferences every time i plug in/unplug headphones.

And although sound settings say "Built-in Speaker" and "Built-in Headphone", System Profiler still reports "No Built-in Audio".

I'm just wondering if this is what everyone else has, or if i patched something wrong when I did audio, or maybe have an AppleSMBIOS issue or something.

Hey guys just a quick question for audio:

My audio works fine, but no mute of course. But Ihave to switch manually between internal speakers and headphone jack in sound preferences every time i plug in/unplug headphones.

And although sound settings say "Built-in Speaker" and "Built-in Headphone", System Profiler still reports "No Built-in Audio".

I'm just wondering if this is what everyone else has, or if i patched something wrong when I did audio, or maybe have an AppleSMBIOS issue or something.

I think if you use the HDAkext and txt from this post it should all work. I'm not as sure about the headphones because I never use them. Mine also says no built in audio but it all works.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=614704

@ gimmered 

"I've seen where the sleep and wake cycle has fixed other problems for sound and video on other systems but I never thought to try it for resolution change but that does work for me too. Thanks for the tip."

whats this sleep and wake cycle ? and on my computer sleep and wake are not working . i tried installing superhai's installer but after that also wake doesn't work.

plz explain what to do so that i can change resolution without putting my display turning into black. and so there is no problem while starting games like warcraft etc with different resolution

system: dell inspiron 1520 T5250 1.5 GHZ, gma x3100, iatkos 1.0 r3 with kalyway intel combo update 10.5.2 and updated kernel.

using sleep/wake script to get the display at login

thanks in advance

@ gimmered

"I've seen where the sleep and wake cycle has fixed other problems for sound and video on other systems but I never thought to try it for resolution change but that does work for me too. Thanks for the tip."

whats this sleep and wake cycle ? and on my computer sleep and wake are not working . i tried installing superhai's installer but after that also wake doesn't work.

plz explain what to do so that i can change resolution without putting my display turning into black. and so there is no problem while starting games like warcraft etc with different resolution

system: dell inspiron 1520 T5250 1.5 GHZ, gma x3100, iatkos 1.0 r3 with kalyway intel combo update 10.5.2 and updated kernel.

using sleep/wake script to get the display at login

thanks in advance

If you are updated to 10.5.2 you should be able to get sleep working with this.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=669969

Once you have that working you should be able to get it working with the lid with this.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=694940

With sleep working I rarely shut my laptop down. I can open the lid and my wireless connects in seconds. Sometimes I need to turn my bluetooth off and back on to get it to connect to my mouse but that it no big deal.

Edited to change the sleep link.

@gimmered

i replaced the superhai's iousbfamil.kext in extensions folder, after that sleep started working . but my usb ports were disabled nd now i cant use usb mouse nd keyboard.

is there anyway to work sleep without disabling usb ports

Running into trouble with audio on my Inspiron 1525....

I've followed steps in the 1st post to enable audio but that doesn't help....

If I look in preferences under sound it says "no output devices" found. Tried copying AppleHDA.kext and disk repair utility again and again...

Anyone got a similar problem and hopefully a solution?

________

Got it working!

Used kext helper b7 to install ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext after reboot all was fine ^_^

@gimmered

i replaced the superhai's iousbfamil.kext in extensions folder, after that sleep started working . but my usb ports were disabled nd now i cant use usb mouse nd keyboard.

is there anyway to work sleep without disabling usb ports

There were others with that problem. Macgirl explains it here. (Got to love her!)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=669530

This must be what I used because superhai made an installer.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=669969

Sorry about the mixup.