DELL x86 forum..

englishnamja

34 posts in this topic

Hi I've been trying to install OSX x86 (kelyway 10.5.1) on a dell machine, from trying so many diffrent types of BIOS settings, and staying up for 3 days in a mad effort Ive tempory given up..

I was trying to install on the DELL M1730 XPS, (LAPTOP) any other XPS users, DELL users please post relivent details here, such as:

*Bios settings

*Duel Boot

*which hardware you turned off....

....basicly any information you can include on how to get your dell XPS range working..

I think M1720 or above, whould be the best idea, since the hardware is simulare...

My Specs for my FAILED INSTALL.

2.8ghz Pentium Extreme (only in windows Overclocked to 3.4ghz)

4GB Memory

2x 200GB 7200RPM Sata 2 Drives (NO RAID SETUP)

100M physis card FPU

2x SLI Nvida 8700 GT Cards

Bluetooth, WIFI, GAMEPANNEL LCD, (G15)

Backlight keyboard, (all light fuctions in BIOS turned off)

Onboard sound.

Thanks.. lets get DELL XPS higher end machines working together...! :rolleyes:

There is a huge thread in the Tutorial forum about installing OS X on Inspirons. My Inspiron E1705 matches up with their results. OS X runs, but only on one core (cpus=1), SpeedStep, sleep, and power management don't work (vanilla, I refuse to use hacked kernel), the flash memory card slot doesn't have any driver, and tho not mentioned in that thread, my Broadcom 440x, while working, likes to randomly cut out sometimes.

How does your install fail? I know your true intention is to get help, so tell us what it does.

There is a huge thread in the Tutorial forum about installing OS X on Inspirons. My Inspiron E1705 matches up with their results. OS X runs, but only on one core (cpus=1), SpeedStep, sleep, and power management don't work (vanilla, I refuse to use hacked kernel), the flash memory card slot doesn't have any driver, and tho not mentioned in that thread, my Broadcom 440x, while working, likes to randomly cut out sometimes.

How does your install fail? I know your true intention is to get help, so tell us what it does.

yap, just as SubZero says, there is already a huge thread in the Genius section, no need to start something else. I have 10.5.1 installed on my XPS 400 in dual boot with Vista as well as on my E1505 in dual boot with Vista. Using ToH kernel to get power management on notebook.

btw. I'd love to hear how you can change things in the Dell BIOS, it's all locked down.

XPS 400, only get one DVI on my Saphire X1650 256Mb, but everything else works

E1505, still mouse tearing (can get rid of most with mousepose), no sleep with gma950 (probably will never be), powermanagement working half with 10.5.1. Everything else is working.

both only work with cpus=1 enabled in com.apple.Boot.plist

E1505/6400

Core Duo 1.6GHz, 2Gb PC6400, Intel GMA950, WD 160Gb SATA

XPS400

Dual Core 3GHz, 3Gb PC6400, Saphire X1650PRO 256Mb, 78Gb Raptor (boot), 320Gb Seagate, 160Gb Seagate (all SATA)

i have e1405 with similar specs: Intel Core 2 due 2 Ghz, 2 Gb memory, 120Gb SATA hard drive, Intel GMA950, dvd burner, intel 4965 wireless, bluetooth. I have installed both Kalyway 10.5.1 and iATKOS v 1.0i. Both of them have EFI and vanilla kernel, they both work. there is a bit of mouse tearing but it is minimal. While the broadcom 440 works after you install drivers from install disk. Both cores work but they run hot as the powermanagment needs to be fix. sound works as well. Only thing doesn't work is the wireless and sleep.

Got mine working with both iAtkos and Kalyway, but Kalyway works better :blink:

Dell XPS 410/Dimension 9200 (Dekstop)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

2GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce 7900GS

320GB: 2x 160GB SATA drives

Bluetooth Works (I bought an extra dongle ages ago)

Wifi doesnt work: Bought a Netgear WG111v2, I can see it in the Ralink Software i saw and downloaded in another post, connects for 10 secs then disconnects, cant fix that problem.

Ethernet NIC doesnt work :D No internet for me.

Bios is 2.5.3 Latest

19" Dell Standard LCD

Hard Drive Partitioning

Disk 1: 3 Partitions

Partition 1 - 119GB, Windows Vista Home Premium Boot Partition

Partition 2 - 10GB, Windows XP Home Boot Partition

Partition 3 - 20GB, Mac OSX86 Leopard Kalyway 10.5.1 Boot Partition

Disk 2: 1 Partition

Partition 1 - 149GB, EXTRA (basically data files)

Dual Boot Settings

1. (Default) Microsoft Windows Vista [TM] Home Premium

2. Microsoft Windows XP [TM] Home

3. Mac OSX86 Leopard

I used EasyBCD to help me dual boot my comp :blink:

OSX86 Installation

• Used Kalyways 10.5.1 Leopard install image
  • EFI and Stock Kernel (no speedstep)
  • Titan driver (for 7900GS)
  • No network patches
  • etc.

So overall, im happy with my Leopard installation on my Dell, i must have downloaded 4-5 Tiger disk images, of which NONE worked lol, I either couldn't boot, or installation would crash or installation would work but I wouldnt be able to boot. So i was happy when BOT iAtkos and Kalyway worked, I chose Kalyway because iAtkos wouldn't let me start up unless it was in Safe Boot and it wouldnt work well with my Dual Boot setting (eg. EasyBCD wouldnt work :blink:).

So there ya go, a (mostly) working Dell XPS 410/Dimension 9200

• 2 weeks later...

Dell Inspiron 1420 (Laptop)

Bios: A03

HDD: 250GB SATA HDD

Memory: 2GB DDR2 RAM

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 1.80Ghz

Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset (stuck on 1024 x 786)

Audio: SigmaTel High Definition Audio ( Detected But Unable To Test | Reason Below )

Wireless: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN ( Obviously Not Working For Anybody :wacko: )

Ethernet: Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet ( Tried a Fix But Didnt Test )

OSX86 Installation

• Used The OS X 10.5.0 Flat IMG
  • No EFI ( Didnt Read Up On How To Install It )
  • Dont Know The Rest of The Install Details
  • ect.
  • I dont know if it was because i used the flat image or because of the configuration of my laptop that resulted in some stuff not working correctly ( Sound and Video )
  • I had to start up with -x-s or it would result in a kernel Panic. I didn't try to Install from a disc. though i am thinking about it now. Any Suggestions?? I recall reading somwhere that the Intel 965 was detected and worked under Leopard. Not sure if it was true,

Dell Optiplex 170L

P4 - 3GHz

1 GB DDR

20 GB Maxtor Drive - Primary Drive

40 GB WD Drive - Backup for Time Machine

LG 16x DVD-Rom

Installed and works awesomely with Kalyway, everything including sound and Ethernet work great. Very fast performance, beats Windows XP on the same machine by a lot, and beats Windows Vista on same machine by a huge amount. Boot to desktop takes about 8 seconds, shut downs takes about 2 seconds.

Currently have MS Office 2008, and Adobe CS3 installed as well as a few other apps.

I tried the iAtkos install and it works, but I had to also use the fix iAtkos boot CD to make the drive actually bootable, and the general performance with iAtkos is not as good as with Kalyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dell Latitude D620 here:

1.83GHz Core 2 Duo - sleep works (not the display) and dual core too - SpeedStep not working

2GB RAM

NVidia Quadro M110 (IIRC) (Works out of the box)

120GB HD SATA

Broadcomm 43xx Wireless (Works out of the box)

Broadcomm 5752 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet not working - using a Conceptronic CSP480LU with the USBAx8817x driver.

BlueTooth (Works OOB - Can't turn it off, though)

DVD-R Working

Sound working after the D620_sound fix

PC Cards Works after updating with the updated IOPCIFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext (the bus is detected - I still have to test with a Vodafone Connect Card)

USB Works OOB

• 3 weeks later...
XPS M1730 here too .. couldn't even install the damn thing because of the 8700M GT SLI Cards. Anyone had success yet on a M1730 ?

No luck here, I've tried iAtkos and Kalyway, various versions and cannot get it to boot outside of safe mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Dell Inspiron 6000

Installed Kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2

Ethernet worked at first then I got wireless running with iwi200 using the network selector. Now only wireless works sometimes.

Has anyone experienced this and has a fix?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 running Leopard 10.5.2 here, everything working great with good performance. Including 7300GS graphics, usb bluetooth and wifi adapters.

Only thing that doesnt work on this box is sleep, but thats due to the specifics of the hacked kernel Im using and doesnt bother me anyway because I dont use sleep. Oh and I cant get dual-monitors to work with this gfx card, no matter what I try. In all other areas this box is 100% and performs very well. Unfortunately these Dell Optiplex's are notoriously noisy at high load because of their fan setups, thats basically my only annoyance, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotten my M1730 mostly to run.

I used an external hdd and installed Leo4allv3 10.5.2 to it.

Updated to 10.5.3 with JaS OsX86 10.5.3 Intel SSE3 Combo Update.

To get my 8700M to work i replaces the gfx kexts and the opengl framework with this:

Latest_10.5.3_kexts.zip on Rapidshare

and installed the latest NVkush: http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/

For Audio i used: AppleHDAPatcher v1.16 and the attached dump of the audio device.

Wireless and Ethernet do not work since i have a Intel 3945 Wifi card and a Broadcom Gigabyte card

that don't seem to be supported as of yet. I solved this issue by getting a the cheap

D-Link DWL-G122 USB WLAN Stick that works with the drivers from the CD you get with it.

CD/DVD drive works out of the box.

Bluetooth i haven't tried honestly.

You may or may not experience problems with your internal HDD's

if you have em in Raid. I had it fixed once by replacing some kexts

with the ones from a Kalyway ISO. But i can't recall the steps really,

so i'm just leaving it this out.

That should cover most to get a smoothly running system i'd say.

I atleast, am happy with my triple boot machine now :P

stac9228.txt

I've gotten my M1730 mostly to run.

I used an external hdd and installed Leo4allv3 10.5.2 to it.

Updated to 10.5.3 with JaS OsX86 10.5.3 Intel SSE3 Combo Update.

To get my 8700M to work i replaces the gfx kexts and the opengl framework with this:

Latest_10.5.3_kexts.zip on Rapidshare

and installed the latest NVkush: http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/

For Audio i used: AppleHDAPatcher v1.16 and the attached dump of the audio device.

Wireless and Ethernet do not work since i have a Intel 3945 Wifi card and a Broadcom Gigabyte card

that don't seem to be supported as of yet. I solved this issue by getting a the cheap

D-Link DWL-G122 USB WLAN Stick that works with the drivers from the CD you get with it.

CD/DVD drive works out of the box.

Bluetooth i haven't tried honestly.

You may or may not experience problems with your internal HDD's

if you have em in Raid. I had it fixed once by replacing some kexts

with the ones from a Kalyway ISO. But i can't recall the steps really,

so i'm just leaving it this out.

That should cover most to get a smoothly running system i'd say.

I atleast, am happy with my triple boot machine now :D

Hi , so how did you do that? i have Leo4all 10.5.2 and tried to install on external USB drive but my DVD boots fine an then nothing i cant even get to the installer....

did you disable anything in the bios ?

Deluxegolfer

Not that i could recall. I do run the latest bios though. the A06 if that is the correct id for it. Leo4all (is yours v3?) boots up normally and gets without any hickups or the like to the installer.

Well i have 10.5.2 V3 but after booting from DVD i have initializing complete and then it hangs.... dunno whats wrong , i think to have the right DVD though.

Maybe it's because i have 4GB RAM installed? or because of my raid setup?