wow, what is the problem with safari?

viniciusc

20 posts in this topic

it caches everything you go to and keeps it in RAM. this is what price you pay for with the fastest browser. it will page itself to disk eventually if its unused RAM.

your solutions are

1) get more ram

2) stop looking at activity monitor and understand that OSX will automatically page things to disk after a while

3) quit safari and restart it

it caches everything you go to and keeps it in RAM. this is what price you pay for with the fastest browser.

That's right but caching my all youtube videos and divx films played through Web divix plugin don't make my system any faster it dug it down or crash safari

That is bug not feature

That's right but caching my all youtube videos and divx films played through Web divix plugin don't make my system any faster it dug it down or crash safari

That is bug not feature

I'm pretty sure it doesn't cache youtube stuff because I have to reload it everytime I watch a video.

imagem2gk0.png

I'm surprised most programs wont go for more than 30mb of ram. But whats the matter with safari? I had only 3 tabs open.

(Core 2 Duo MacBook/ 1gb RAM, Leopard)

Why are all your programs using 500+MB of Virtual Memory?

Why are all your programs using 500+MB of Virtual Memory?

that's a good question btw, I noticed it and asked about it on a forum, no one knew so I thought it was normal. I even did a fresh install on my MacBook and nothing changed.

Do you guys running Leopard are having the same "issues"?

Maybe it displays the virtual memory usage wrong because if all your programs use like 900MB of virtual memory then you'd be losing a good portion of your hard drive space. I've never seen something like that on real Macs nor hackint0shes, although I admit that was on computers running Panther and Tiger :happymac:

the virtual memory listing/column has nothing to do with swap space. it's simply all the memory that could get allocated to a single application and other shared memory, but it really isnt allocated to the app. you also cant just go an add all the numbers in that column and come up with something meaningful, its virtual (doesnt exist).

the virtual memory listing/column has nothing to do with swap space. it's simply all the memory that could get allocated to a single application and other shared memory, but it really isnt allocated to the app. you also cant just go an add all the numbers in that column and come up with something meaningful, its virtual (doesnt exist).

Exactly correct.

I've never seen something like that on real Macs nor hackint0shes, although I admit that was on computers running Panther and Tiger ;)

I have on both including my current Leopard machine. You'll get more useful info in the System Memory tab of Activity monitor rather than the process list. Things like swap file size, Used, Active, VM Size, etc.

Activity Monitor is seriously screwed up. It tells me on all of my applications with the Inspector that the shared memory size goes from 5.35MB to 16.7TB, then back to 5.35MB.

there's really nothing important or significant with the virtual memory number, it doesnt mean anything.

there's really nothing important or significant with the virtual memory number, it doesnt mean anything.

If it didn't mean anything, then why would that be in there? If they're going to put it in there, it should, at least, show the correct value.

It doesn't mean anything in terms of your performance. All that really is, is the total address space allocated to that app. Remember Leopard = 64bits = 2147483648 GB of Address space. So whether or not the app is assigned REAL memory to those VIRTUAL addresses or not is the issue and can not to be seen by total Address space used by the app. Why is it listed? No clue, maybe Apple has had address clash bugs in the past and it is just a general way of seeing if any single app is using way too much address space?

i think people are confused with virtual memory being swap memory. the thing that starts using your hard drive space when you run out of memory is called 'swap' and the stuff that gets assigned but doesnt actually get used is 'virtual'. when you start to actually think of what 'virtual' means you understand that its infact _nothing_.