NForce SATA Controller

MeDevil

757 posts in this topic

I'll write a short post here to respond to all the incoming messages i've received in my mailbox.

1) Yes, i will probabily update the driver for all the non-working chipsets and for the DVD burning error.

2) No, i don't know when this will happen, since i don't have much time to dedicate to this (read the end of the post about #1 and #2 answer).

3) No, i don't have time to write an "idiot-proof guide" to how the kext must be installed nor the time to write a self-install package.

4) As a developer, i can virtually write a driver for every hardware out there, or even fix any kernel problem, but don't expect me to do so. As you know, i don't have time nor resources for this.

5) I wrote the nforce fix as a challenge with myself, to be able to install and use leo on my machine. Curiosity (as well a good internet connection) is all you need to get started into driver developement, so stop asking and explore this world by your hands :wacko:

6) Device/Vendor ID can be found in windows in the details tab of the hardware. They are shown as a string like this: "PCI\VEN_1111&DEV_2222", where 1111 is the vendor id and 2222 is the device id. Please, consult the online list of pci ids to understand if those are sata related.

Now, regarding the AHCI compatible chipsets:

There is a small chance that this driver could work with your ahci enabled chipset. I don't have any ahci enabled mobo, so i can't test this personally, but you can do it for me. First download the source code, then in the AppleNForceATARoot.cpp, add the following line:

is_ahci = false;

after the following declaration:

bool is_ahci = (hwDeviceID == PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S1 ||
				hwDeviceID == PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S2 ||
				hwDeviceID == PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S3 ||
				hwDeviceID == PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S3);

If it works, then report it back on this thread, so other can use this solution.

The last bad news: consider the developement of this driver dead. I really don't have time to manage this and don't want to make promises that wouldn't be respected. Maybe in the next immediate future i'll have some spare time and/or resources to work on this, but don't count on it. If someone want to hack with the current sources, i'll be glad to provide him/her all the info i have or, if needed, modify the first post to include any info/fix.

That's all folks.

MeDevil, could you please release the sources of the TEST kext?

And maybe any other files you have...

So we can look and maybe make it even better :P

Thanks!

Edit:

I've also send a PM to MeDevil, let's see what comes out of it :)

Here you can find the newest ATA kext driver for nforce pata/sata chipsets.

This has been tested and is know to work on the ASRock 939NF6G-VSTA motherboard.

Drive(s) are UDMA enabled, and fully working without i/o errors.

I have not tested this driver under leo, but it should work without problems.

Sources are not attached, if someone needs them, please pm me.

Here, some xbench results:

System Info		
				Xbench Version		1.3
				System Version		10.4.10 (8R2218)
				Physical RAM		1024 MB
				Model		ACPI
				Drive Type		Maxtor 6V200E0
			Disk Test	66.80	
				Sequential	129.43	
					Uncached Write	135.91	83.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
					Uncached Write	128.72	72.83 MB/sec [256K blocks]
					Uncached Read	117.43	34.37 MB/sec [4K blocks]
					Uncached Read	137.70	69.21 MB/sec [256K blocks]
				Random	45.02	
					Uncached Write	16.62	1.76 MB/sec [4K blocks]
					Uncached Write	111.64	35.74 MB/sec [256K blocks]
					Uncached Read	85.66	0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
					Uncached Read	124.17	23.04 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Please, report here ONLY if the drive is working or not (if you want to thank me, you'll find my paypal address in the firm ;) )

UPDATE 23-dec-2007:

I've fixed the driver because it was not handling atapi drive(s). The detection mechanism should be much fast now, however it will slow down a bit the boot process when trying to detect drive(s) on an empty channel. (i'll try to fix this in the next release).

This kext should also resolve the "still waiting for root device".

User with MCP55 chipset: please test this kext and report if it is working!

A little note: maybe native NCQ can be implemented on this driver. I'll look better at the sata_nv sources and try to implement it in the next (maybe last) version. Also, please note that this is just a challenge to me, and it's also probably that i'll never implement it in order to help other people with other drivers (eth, sound, etc).

UPDATE 31-dec-2007:

I've re-fixed the driver. Some users where still not detecting sata and/or pata drives, so this version should solve some problems. Below, a list of device+vendor id for supported pata/sata chipsets by this kext:

PATA: 0x01bc10de 0x006510de 0x008510de 0x00d510de 0x00e510de 0x003510de 0x005310de 0x026510de 0x036e10de 0x03ec10de

SATA: 0x008e10de 0x00e310de 0x00ee10de 0x003610de 0x003e10de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x026610de 0x026710de 0x037e10de 0x037f10de 0x03e710de 0x03f610de 0x03f710de 0x045c10de 0x045d10de 0x045e10de 0x045f10de

Know AHCI SATA enabled chipset device+vendor id: 0x044c10de 0x044d10de 0x044e10de 0x044f10d 0x055010de 0x055110de 0x055210de 0x055310de 0x056010de 0x055410de 0x058410de

Know AHCI PATA chipsets device+vendor id: 0x056010de 0x056010de 0x056c10de 0x075910de

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI SATA enabled chipsets" then you CANNOT USE THIS KEXT!

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI PATA enabled chipsets" then you can try to use this kext for the pata handling, but this is not tested, so try at your own risk!

If you have a device/vendor id that isn't in this list, please send me a pm.

UPDATE 11-jan-2008:

Source released to the public.

NOTE: This project is far from being finished. I'm planning to separate the sata part from the pata, add ncq support, add raid support, maximize performances, ecc ecc.

However, i've little spare time, so don't start asking: "when we'll have xxx/yyy/zzz?" :P

UPDATE 29-feb-2008:

Attached a kext (AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip) that should fix the "sam multimedia error" on sata dvd drives.

Please, report if there are issues with pata drives (either hd or dvds).

Regards, Domenico.

please give the information about how to use this driver

because my iatkos v7 DVD is not booting successfully

I've got a problem with my Asus Striker Extreme and an Samsung SATA 500GB Harddrive.

I started the iDeneb 1.6.1 ... Lite Edition - but on AppleNForceATA i got an error ...

AppleNForceATA: found 0 devices ... that come 3 times.

After that, i got the message "waiting for root device"

Anybody got an idea how to fix that?

I don't have the update from MeDevil - i think that its in the iDeneb release ...

Here my Hardware:

MB: Asus Striker Extreme

CPU: Intel C2D E6600

RAM: GEiL DDR2-800

HD: Samsung 500GB SATA

Sound: Creative Fatal1ty or ASUS MB Sound

Hope you can help me.

Thanks Skinwalker

I've got a problem with my Asus Striker Extreme and an Samsung SATA 500GB Harddrive.

I started the iDeneb 1.6.1 ... Lite Edition - but on AppleNForceATA i got an error ...

AppleNForceATA: found 0 devices ... that come 3 times.

After that, i got the message "waiting for root device"

Anybody got an idea how to fix that?

I don't have the update from MeDevil - i think that its in the iDeneb release ...

Here my Hardware:

MB: Asus Striker Extreme

CPU: Intel C2D E6600

RAM: GEiL DDR2-800

HD: Samsung 500GB SATA

Sound: Creative Fatal1ty or ASUS MB Sound

Hope you can help me.

Thanks Skinwalker

Couple things. First put your sata drives into ahci mode. Second is figure out your device and vendor id and check if the kext here has added those. If it has not, then if ur booting off of the idenib dvd, you need to ask them to add your device and vendor id to that kext. If it happens after installation, then you need to download macdrive or something similiar to make the osx drive readable to windows. Then edit the kext and add your device and vendor id's to it. If it isn't their, then you need to select it during the install.

Couple things. First put your sata drives into ahci mode. Second is figure out your device and vendor id and check if the kext here has added those. If it has not, then if ur booting off of the idenib dvd, you need to ask them to add your device and vendor id to that kext. If it happens after installation, then you need to download macdrive or something similiar to make the osx drive readable to windows. Then edit the kext and add your device and vendor id's to it. If it isn't their, then you need to select it during the install.

Ok, can you tell me how i bring them into the AHCI Mode - i don't find that option on my MB ... or i don't see it :blink:

I know from other threads that the Asus Striker Extreme should work with iDeneb, since 1.4...

So i think my devices are in the kext-file ... maybe its just the AHCI Option

Hope anybody know how to do this.

Thx Skinwalker

Ok, can you tell me how i bring them into the AHCI Mode - i don't find that option on my MB ... or i don't see it :D

I know from other threads that the Asus Striker Extreme should work with iDeneb, since 1.4...

So i think my devices are in the kext-file ... maybe its just the AHCI Option

Hope anybody know how to do this.

Thx Skinwalker

It's in ur bios somewhere, take a look. Also update ur bios too if you don't see it.

It's in ur bios somewhere, take a look. Also update ur bios too if you don't see it.

There no option in my BIOS - not even with an update ...

Should I try it with an IDE Harddrive - what i did, but doesn't work ;)

Why does it work on other computers with the same MB - but not on mine :) ?

I planed to build a new little box - what hardware can you recommend for Hackint0sh?

There no option in my BIOS - not even with an update ...

Should I try it with an IDE Harddrive - what i did, but doesn't work :)

Why does it work on other computers with the same MB - but not on mine ;) ?

I planed to build a new little box - what hardware can you recommend for Hackint0sh?

Then it is most likely already in ahci mode. Now you need to add your device and vendor id for the storage controller. If it's on the dvd itself that you're having trouble, u gotta ask them to add it for ya. If it's after you install, then u gotta edit the install afterwards to include your storage controller's device and vendor id.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm tryin to install Os X 10.6 on my HP a6500f.

A friend made me a USB key and with the Psystar EFI rebel i cant boot up and get into USB to start installation. Installation look good but OSX cant see any drive.

My computer is using an Nforce chipset then i'm trying to copy the driver on the USB key with ubuntu 9.10 but i cant because all file and folder are read-only system.

I've tried a lot of thing to get to there and i think if i can put the driver into the USB key then i should be able to complete the installation.

If anyone have a hint, that should be nice.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
Here you can find the newest ATA kext driver for nforce pata/sata chipsets.

This has been tested and is know to work on the ASRock 939NF6G-VSTA motherboard.

Drive(s) are UDMA enabled, and fully working without i/o errors.

I have not tested this driver under leo, but it should work without problems.

Sources are not attached, if someone needs them, please pm me.

Here, some xbench results:

System Info		
			   Xbench Version		1.3
			   System Version		10.4.10 (8R2218)
			   Physical RAM		1024 MB
			   Model		ACPI
			   Drive Type		Maxtor 6V200E0
		   Disk Test	66.80	
			   Sequential	129.43	
				   Uncached Write	135.91	83.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
				   Uncached Write	128.72	72.83 MB/sec [256K blocks]
				   Uncached Read	117.43	34.37 MB/sec [4K blocks]
				   Uncached Read	137.70	69.21 MB/sec [256K blocks]
			   Random	45.02	
				   Uncached Write	16.62	1.76 MB/sec [4K blocks]
				   Uncached Write	111.64	35.74 MB/sec [256K blocks]
				   Uncached Read	85.66	0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
				   Uncached Read	124.17	23.04 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Please, report here ONLY if the drive is working or not (if you want to thank me, you'll find my paypal address in the firm :D )

UPDATE 23-dec-2007:

I've fixed the driver because it was not handling atapi drive(s). The detection mechanism should be much fast now, however it will slow down a bit the boot process when trying to detect drive(s) on an empty channel. (i'll try to fix this in the next release).

This kext should also resolve the "still waiting for root device".

User with MCP55 chipset: please test this kext and report if it is working!

A little note: maybe native NCQ can be implemented on this driver. I'll look better at the sata_nv sources and try to implement it in the next (maybe last) version. Also, please note that this is just a challenge to me, and it's also probably that i'll never implement it in order to help other people with other drivers (eth, sound, etc).

UPDATE 31-dec-2007:

I've re-fixed the driver. Some users where still not detecting sata and/or pata drives, so this version should solve some problems. Below, a list of device+vendor id for supported pata/sata chipsets by this kext:

PATA: 0x01bc10de 0x006510de 0x008510de 0x00d510de 0x00e510de 0x003510de 0x005310de 0x026510de 0x036e10de 0x03ec10de

SATA: 0x008e10de 0x00e310de 0x00ee10de 0x003610de 0x003e10de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x026610de 0x026710de 0x037e10de 0x037f10de 0x03e710de 0x03f610de 0x03f710de 0x045c10de 0x045d10de 0x045e10de 0x045f10de

Know AHCI SATA enabled chipset device+vendor id: 0x044c10de 0x044d10de 0x044e10de 0x044f10d 0x055010de 0x055110de 0x055210de 0x055310de 0x056010de 0x055410de 0x058410de

Know AHCI PATA chipsets device+vendor id: 0x056010de 0x056010de 0x056c10de 0x075910de

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI SATA enabled chipsets" then you CANNOT USE THIS KEXT!

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI PATA enabled chipsets" then you can try to use this kext for the pata handling, but this is not tested, so try at your own risk!

If you have a device/vendor id that isn't in this list, please send me a pm.

UPDATE 11-jan-2008:

Source released to the public.

NOTE: This project is far from being finished. I'm planning to separate the sata part from the pata, add ncq support, add raid support, maximize performances, ecc ecc.

However, i've little spare time, so don't start asking: "when we'll have xxx/yyy/zzz?" :unsure:

UPDATE 29-feb-2008:

Attached a kext (AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip) that should fix the "sam multimedia error" on sata dvd drives.

Please, report if there are issues with pata drives (either hd or dvds).

Regards, Domenico.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

Mannnn it's been a long time. I remember helping the community with AMD problems back when 10.4.2 was released! (hi macgirl! :( )

anyyyyway.

I still have the saaaame computer from way back when.

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI

AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.65 ghz

2GB RAM

BFG 8600GT 512MB

120GB x 2 @ Nforce4 SATA RAID 0 running Windows 7

60GB @ IDE running Hazard SnowLeopard 10.6.2

Now, the problem I would like to solve, and I think's it's fairly easy, but my methods have not yet worked...

I'm not entirely sure how to disable my SATA drives from being detected.

The OS is installed and I do not want OSX to see and wake up my SATA drives.

Every time I boot up I see the issue of the drives not being readable, probably because they're NTFS, They're RAID ), or They're Windows MBR's. It sees them as individual drives too, which tells me the Array is not being processed properly by OSX.

I hear the drives being accessed and then some time during OSX fiddling, it will turn off the drives and then wake them up again, and then repeat.

What I would like to do is simply disable the RAID drives. I have tried removing keystrings for SATA in some drivers, but I've not found the solution. Can someone tell me if I can do this easily. I'm using Kext Injector to reinject the drivers after modifying, then Using OSX86 Tools to purge the Extensions Cache.

Any help on disabling the SATA but having my IDE function is super appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi i have a problem with a nforce controller in my laptop.

notebook acer 7520g chipset mpc 67 ,i can install leopard on a usb drive but not in my internal disk!

When trying it internal after installing os i've "still waiting for root device" error .

The strange thing is that i can boot on internal only when i've two hardisks installed!!! and no " still waiting for root device" error.

someone has any idea about it?

tnx and sorry for my english

This is crazy! I simply CANNOT find a copy of AppleNForceATA.kext that fixes the 32-bit memory addressing problem (using 4GB RAM) AND fixes the SAM Multimedia Error. I can only fix one or the other, depending on which kext I go with. Nobody has one that'll do both?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
My Snow can recognize my LG sata dvd but can not read it or write. I am using AppleNforceATA.kext, chipset nforce mcp61. Help please.

Known bug. It was fixed with a later version, but that version's source was never released. So the version you're using with the ram fix in it doesn't have the cd/dvd drive fix. Unless someone can figure out how to fix it like it was, you're gonna have to go without.

Well, this is what I've done, I erased the old kexts AppleNforceATA and SuperNorceATA and then installed the AppleNforceATA(TEST) from the first post. Now my sata dvd writer can read the discs. Thanks a lot, people!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

having same problem like LoneWaffle

using the common nforce sata kext all running fine, except of sata dvd only playing cd.

using the nforce sata test kext dvd running fine, but sometimes getting a kernel panik copying file.

is it possible to someway merge the two kext?

many thanks in advance

It's binary code. You can't merge binary code.

The maintainer of the fixed nforce kext has to figure out how the previous author fixed the dvd/cd drive issue. That source code was never released, so put up with a broken cd/dvd drive for now.