KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release (the official)

kaly

2,627 posts in this topic

Thanks Kalyway and others in the team , I have installed OSX 10.5.1 in my PC.

Now, my system runs OSX on NVIDIA 8600GT in ASUS P5LD2VM-SE motherboard.

Thanks a million ....

I have two questions,

1. Every time my system starts, do I have to type "vanilla" , to start OSX in vanilla kernel ?

For now, I have renamed "vanilla" file to "mach_kernel" or Is there a better solution to boot

vanilla kernel always without typing?

2. Also, how do i verify that I'm booting with EFI ? Since, I don't want to mess up my system after

installing a system update !.

BTW, a suggestion , Probably someone can bundle up some common question like the one above or the questions asked in this forum section in a FAQ file and attach it to the front (1st) post.

thx again for everyone ....

does kalyway 10.5.1 dvd supports GeForce 8 series card drivers?thete nvidia 10.5.2 kext included in the driver?

Well, not so ... After a painful work (Tried to copy from USB drive, In-built Windows HDD in

the Single user mode but in vain ) I managed to copy the 10.5.2 kext by replcaing my Old 7300LE card

and reattaching my 8600GT card ...

I really do not know, how severel ppls mangaed to load 10.5.2 kext in their existing leopard !!!. When I tried

to load my pen drive or my WindowsXP HHD,it failed to mount .Played aroung with mount commands

but eventually in vain. I even wasted a DVD by modifying the ISO file of Kalyway using

MagicISO, which ended up in non-bootable DVD !! ...

Finally, the hardware method worked .... Any suggestions from ur side ?

I burned KALYWAY using PowerISO into DVD and booted from it

I pressed f8 and typed -vanilla the next thing that comes up is

E BIOS read error: Error 0x01

Block 6471344 Sectors 64

I have a dell dimension 4700 could somebody please help me

Ok after switching sata ports of my DVD I was able to have a successful install.

Then I tried to boot up but it stops with the please restart image. So I tried to boot with verbose and it stops here. (see image below)

Can you guys tell me what's going on?

My Hardware are:

P5W DH Deluxe

Quad Core (Q6600)

4GB RAM

400GB HD Sata2

x1950 Pro

Netgear WG311T

Thanks in advance

post-21405-1200412296_thumb.jpg

post-21405-1200412766_thumb.jpg

That was my stupid mistake. Double checked AHCI. Once that was done it booted and installed without a hitch.Now I've got OSX installed and I just need to do some fine tuning. I didn't bother to install a bootloader first, is there one that's easy to install in OSX? I can just restart and use the boot disk to get back into Windows, certainly, but I should probably solve that problem in the near future.Otherwise, the hard part is one.
I use Vista's bootloader (used EasyBCD to add a Leopard entry) to dual boot Vista and Leopard. You can even use EasyBCD if you're running XP, just let it install the Vista bootloader first.
Ok after switching sata ports of my DVD I was able to have a successful install.Then I tried to boot up but it stops with the please restart image. So I tried to boot with verbose and it stops here. (see image below)Can you guys tell me what's going on?My Hardware are:P5W DH DeluxeQuad Core (Q6600)4GB RAM400GB HD Sata2x1950 ProNetgear WG311TThanks in advance
Looks like a problem with ATYinject/video driver. Try installing it without any video drivers and see if it boots. You can always worry about getting video stuff working later.

I burned KALYWAY using PowerISO into DVD and booted from it

I pressed f8 and typed -vanilla the next thing that comes up is

E BIOS read error: Error 0x01

Block 6471344 Sectors 64

I have a dell dimension 4700 could somebody please help me

i fixed the error and installed kalyway but when my computer restarts it goes to Darwin and then reboots again, Im trying to install it using different ways, like changing GUID for MBR and formating my HD but until now im not succesful

please help me

Kalyway 10.5.1

Here's what worked for me:

f8 w/ "-v" at the boot from cd to see verbose

when the install gets to DMOS: STARTING if I don't do the next step I get cpu shutdown

I count to 15 seconds and hold the power button for a few seconds then let go (otherwise computer will shutoff)

If things go right I hear a little sound from the boot cd

About 30 seconds later the install continues

All I can figure is there must be a timeout that I'm getting around

When I get to the normal install screen I used the drop down menu to run Disk Utility

and chose to erase my hard drive (I'm using all of it)

I went back to installer

Then I searched around and saw 3 choices one of which is new install of OSX

the other 2 choices are grayed out (not available)

Just before installation begins there is a custom choice button

I chose SSE2 and MBR to boot

Everything seems to be working (no kext patching for wireless)

The first round of installation I chose Guid boot and that strangely brought me to a login screen that I couldn't get past (I didn't have that problem on this install)

Previously I had 10.4.8 running but was unable to install 10.4.9 due to needing an SSE2 simulator.

I couldn't get iAtkos to install but it looks like there are some workarounds

I's suggest always using the verbose boot that I mentioned earlier to see where the boot hangs

Hardware:

Asus Z71A laptop w/Intel graphics chip Alviso 915GM

Intel M750 1.86Ghz processor

1Ghz RAM

Azalia compliant audio

Broadcom 4311 Wireless Card

40Gb ATA hard drive

Here's a link with info about this laptop:

http://www.overclockers.com/arlticles1230/

There's a Z71V available that has Nvidia graphics

Also for Mac because this laptop has a VGA port you have to connect pins 6 & 12 (numbered right to left, top to bottom) w/paperclip

I know that sounds crazy but it works

This laptop has been a good workhorse

but the Intel M chip doesn't support SSE3 so I can't recommend it going forward

I hope this helps someone.

Think of this as a test drive and buy a Mac when you can.

Yup same error. I only checked the bootloader and the vanilla stuff

Well, I don't have any ATI experience myself, so I can't help you, sorry. ;)

Seems weird that you'd still get an ATI error without installing the driver. Also, I'm pretty sure your card is compatible.

Well, I don't have any ATI experience myself, so I can't help you, sorry. ;)

Seems weird that you'd still get an ATI error without installing the driver. Also, I'm pretty sure your card is compatible.

Thanks for trying. Yeah my card works fine with the image method install I guess I have to do the long work again. (Install, repartition the 20GB install, patch drivers, EFI patch, etc)

I have two questions,1. Every time my system starts, do I have to type "vanilla" , to start OSX in vanilla kernel ?For now, I have renamed "vanilla" file to "mach_kernel" or Is there a better solution to bootvanilla kernel always without typing?
No, if you have checked Vanilla kernel when you installed, you have to do nothing. you are running with Vanilla kernel.
2. Also, how do i verify that I'm booting with EFI ? Since, I don't want to mess up my system after installing a system update !.BTW, a suggestion , Probably someone can bundle up some common question like the one above or the questions asked in this forum section in a FAQ file and attach it to the front (1st) post. thx again for everyone ....
you don't have to verify... If EFi was not there, your system would not even boot... But EFi or even vanilla kernel does not mean that you can do combo update (Ex: 10.5.2) without problems.this kind of update brings most of the time updated kexts and replace some vital kexts for your mobo.So you have to be very carefull. Dont do this kind of update till we say to all of you that you can do them.Of course, minor updates can be done without problems.
Ok after switching sata ports of my DVD I was able to have a successful install.Then I tried to boot up but it stops with the please restart image. So I tried to boot with verbose and it stops here. (see image below)Can you guys tell me what's going on?My Hardware are:P5W DH DeluxeQuad Core (Q6600)4GB RAM400GB HD Sata2x1950 ProNetgear WG311TThanks in advance
boot with -x.

After that go to this page and donwload the 10.5.1 drivers for your 1950 pro

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=58988

You probably selected MBR EFI when your disk was partitioned as GUID, or vice versa.

Kaly or Dune, you should really put this in the first post, because this question keeps coming back and people are not willing to read the thread before posting.

can you show me a link?? I selected MBR partition so shouldn't it boot as MBR?? where can I find more info on this MBR EFI/GUID???

Thanks

Steve

i keep getting an "EBIOS read error" and then it lists a number like 82236589 sector 64 or something.

a few times, the cd actually booted up and got pretty far into the bootloader, but then it stopped near the end and kept repeating an error that said something like "SAM Multimedia READ or WRITE failed" or something.

ONE time I actually got to the installation screen and I formatted my partition and began to install. It got 47% through the installation and then stopped installing. Nothing was being written from the DVD or written on the HDD (HDD activity light and DVD drive light stopped flashing).

I've made 3 copies of the DVD, 2 with Alcohol and one with ImgBurn.

wtf??

Hey guys,

Super smooth install, EVERYTHING works (except for wireless, but I am stuck with the dreaded 3495). My only problem which I have not been able to find a definitive answer for is booting from the install. I am able to boot from the install disc into my installed leopard, but I am not able to boot straight from the hard disk. My leopard partition is set to active, but if I turn my computer on without the disk I simply get a flashing underscore. I have also tried booting in from GRUB but to no avail. Any advice will be appreciated.

finally i had successfully installed kalyway 10.5.1+Vanilla Kernel on my abit ip35-e. LAN works out of the box. my 7300GT is fully working. audio patching in progress. restart doesnt work. shutdown works. my only problem is i cant boot without the dvd installer on my drive. and is there a way to use my wireless usb network adapter (Linksys WUSB11)? i need it badly for my internet connection.

boot with -x.

After that go to this page and donwload the 10.5.1 drivers for your 1950 pro

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=58988

Thanks Dune! It worked!

I did a different way tho. I installed 10.5 using the image procedure in windows then installed Kaly's dvd.

I did this procedure because I noticed some of the devices like the ethernet (only one recognized) are missing.

Now everything works except wireless but I'm using the Netgear WG311T with P5W's antenna dongle.

Speakeasy speed test: Up 1913kbps/ Down 11675kbps woohoo

Thanks everyone for the help!