[GUIDE] Leopard on HP Compaq 6710b with EFI_v80 (Wireless, Graphics, Sound)

KlyX

119 posts in this topic

Ok ppl, finally a DSDT solution that allows us, the 6710b users, to use latest x3100 kexts, no need to delete IntelIntegratedFramebuffer etc. Tested on 10.5.8 Leopard. I'm still experiencing issues on external monitor mirroring.

In DSDT, do the following modification in C098 device

Device (C098)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00020000) // Modification start
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) 
               {
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "AAPL01,DualLink", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               } // Modification end

Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
               {....

The DTGP method is required at the beginning of your DSDT for this to work. The DTGP method must be inserted as follows.

*     Compiler Version 0x20091112 (537465106)
*/
DefinitionBlock ("./dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 1, "HP    ", "nc75xx", 0x00010000)
{
   External (\_GPE._L1A)

// Modification start
   Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
   {
       If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
               {
                   /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
                   /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
               }))
       {
           If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
           {
               If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
               {
                   Store (Buffer (One)
                       {
                           0x03
                       }, Arg4)
                   Return (One)
               }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
               {
                   Return (One)
               }
           }
       }

Store (Buffer (One)
           {
               0x00
           }, Arg4)
       Return (Zero)
   } // Modification end

Name (C000, Zero)
   Name (....

I attach my DSDT for your information. These DSDT mods will let you use latest x3100 kexts, natit.kext not required, QE/CI Enabled. Looking forward for some feedback

dsdt.zip

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to make a new thread for this but I'm on Snow Leopard.

Finally i've got a working dsdt. How did you make it Einstein?? i always got errors on extracting?

I used 10.6.0 with old X3100 drivers from 10.5.4 and removed the HPET.KEXt

Now I was able to upgrade to 10.6.2 and restored the HPET.

I needed to completely delete the old X3100 kext and Framebuffer and restored them from my main Hackintosh which was already on 10.6.2.

Now Graphics are working fine on 10.6.2 with original drivers, but it says in Systemprofiler under ROM Version that it was enabled by EFI String. I used a EFI String before but deleted it from com.apple.boot.plist

Next problem is now that Shutdown and Reboot does not work.

Furthermore Sleep does still not work. It does not turn off the notebook.

I noticed a CPUPowermanagemet fix in the DSDT but I can't remove the NullCPUM Kext it screws up graphics after reboot.

Adjusting Brightness with FN does not work either. There is a dsdt fix for FN Key but I couldn't find the PS2 device in the dsdt, every devices have strange names like C315 or something like that.

Any sugestions?

I don't want to make a new thread for this but I'm on Snow Leopard.

Finally i've got a working dsdt. How did you make it Einstein?? i always got errors on extracting?

I used 10.6.0 with old X3100 drivers from 10.5.4 and removed the HPET.KEXt

Now I was able to upgrade to 10.6.2 and restored the HPET.

I needed to completely delete the old X3100 kext and Framebuffer and restored them from my main Hackintosh which was already on 10.6.2.

Now Graphics are working fine on 10.6.2 with original drivers, but it says in Systemprofiler under ROM Version that it was enabled by EFI String. I used a EFI String before but deleted it from com.apple.boot.plist

Next problem is now that Shutdown and Reboot does not work.

Furthermore Sleep does still not work. It does not turn off the notebook.

I noticed a CPUPowermanagemet fix in the DSDT but I can't remove the NullCPUM Kext it screws up graphics after reboot.

Adjusting Brightness with FN does not work either. There is a dsdt fix for FN Key but I couldn't find the PS2 device in the dsdt, every devices have strange names like C315 or something like that.

Any sugestions?

Ok, thanks for the pm.

Sooo, after 31 trial-and-errors in dsdt here is my final one (I have lots of comments). It will help you use appleintelcpupm vanilla. And the steps I used to install snow leopard on both my 16GB flash drive and on my laptops hard disk (3 partitions, 2xHFS+ and 1 NTFS with windows 7) are the following (a copy of my notes follow and i attach my notes in a rich text format for better viewing)

To install SL to a new partition (or USB hard disc as I did in the tutorial) these are the steps:

a) to make MBR installation possible I "restored" using Disk Utility the Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg on a partition. Then substitute ./System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg with the one found on the net (and now in the directory)

b.) install Chameleon 2 r431 pkg (and not the latest) and replace the /boot file created by chameleon with the one from pc efi 10.1. If u don't use that boot file then you’ll get the dreaded EBIOS read error: Error 0x01. Also Leopard's chameleon cannot boot Snow leopard, so you must press F9 and boot from the usb drive making necessary changes in BIOS

c) run /Volumes/MacOSInstallDVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg and finish installation, which being run from flash drive and installed on a flash drive will be slooow

d) problem with changing ownership and thus ./Extra/kextcachesfix.sh? Then visit

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/inde...p/t-104014.html

The solution is to right click the drive "/Volumes/snowleo"-Get info-Untick Ignore ownership on this volume. And then "sudo chown" your files and voila permissions can be changed again

e) copy the following kexts in /Extra folder (no need to repair permissions, we’ll deal with it later)

Needed ApplePS2Controller.kext,AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (for keyboard and trackpad), works in both /S/L/E and /E/E, /E/E preferred, not required if VoodooPS2Controller is installed in /Extra/Extensions

In 10.6.2, x32, works great, double tapping on trackpad

In 10.6.2, x64, works great, double tapping on trackpad

Needed fakesmc.kext v2.5

(Waiting for DSMOS… problem, which is not very obvious some times)

Needed OpenHaltRestart.kext (to fix restart, maybe use some other kext would suffice)

Not needed but left PlatformUUID.kext (to find find UUID quicker, I added UUID in Contents/Info.plist, as in smbios.plist)

Needed VoodooBattery.kext

v1.2.1 with some kp's on battery insertion, works only in x32

v1.3.2 is best, works both in x32 and x64. In x64 may end up in garbled screen on battery insertion and adp1 extraction. Voodoobattery works both in /E/E and /S/L/E, I preferred here

Not required VoodooPS2Controller.kext (installed through VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg and moved in /E/E from /S/L/E, it works on both btw). I prefer this than installing ACPIPS2Nub and PS2Controller in /S/L/E as gives me touchpad double tap

In 10.6.2, x32, VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg working great, double tap on touchpad & keyboard are excellent in /S/L/E and /E/E directories

In 10.6.2, x64, not working both in /E/E and /S/L/E

Not required Disabler, NullCPUPowerManagement as I fixed my DSDT properly and ACPI AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement loads and runs smoothly.

SleepEnabler.kext not doing anything,

f) copy the following kext in /Volumes/snowleo/S/L/E folder (again no need to repair permissions)

Needed AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

In 10.6.2, x32, AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext in /S/L/E works

In 10.6.2, x64, not working

Needed IOATAFamily.kext (necessary as with the original kext kp is at boot is definite)

Needed VoodooHDA.kext

v0.2.1 a lot of output in console and a special version works in x64

v0.2.53 gives mic support though, with latency in system sounds, also Sleepwatcher is not required anymore. But after wake sound is lowered (for instance if you hit space on previewing a movie the sound is lower).

Needed VoodooSDHC.kext (for Ricoh Card reader)

Not required fakesmc.kext (in Extra is enough), AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext (not working)

mv AppleHDA.kext.notinuse and IOFireWireFamily.kext.notinuse

g) after copying all .kexts run /Extra/kextcachesfix.sh to repair permissions and generate .mkext properly

h) added arch=i386 under Kernel flags in /Volumes/snowleo/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and copied it in /Extra

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

i) in smbios.plist I added my SMUUID (diskutil info /Volumes/snowleo | grep UUID)

Problem Solution

In console worklaptop com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root. " "sudo chown root:admin /"

Sound distorted after sleep install both .pkgs from sleepwatcher_2.0.5.dmg

cp rc.sleep rc.wakeup /etc/ to overwrite the ones created by the second package and voila (reboot is required) sound is not distorted anymore after sleep & wake. Or install v0.2.53 of voodoohda

System Preferences-Other, to get rid of "To use ‘…’ preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen" in Applications right click on SysPrefs and click on "Open in 32-bit mode". By default SysPrefs is running on x64

In console "PM kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!" Add kextunload and load again in rc.wakeup of sleepwatcher for

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleFWOHCI.kext

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleFWOHCI.kext or

mv IOFireWireFamily.kext IOFireWireFamily.kext.notinuse

_CFGetHostUUID string In 10.6.2, x32, If _CFGetHostUUID string, then UUID.kext from Leopard in /S/L/E works great

In 10.6.2, x64, not working, no UUID.kext for x64

i5) install latest Chameleon (rc4 at the moment of writing)

j) install MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg not with pacifist as it may end up in kp

k) after update you can removed arch=i386 from both com.apple.Boot.plist files but wake will be broken, since the screen is not coming up again and the system is not responding (vnc is not possible), everything else can be worked out.

Not working:

a. Mirror displays results in garbled screen

b. Zeroed Mac address for BCM5787M [14e4:1693] (rev 02) in x32, in x64 .kext is not loaded

c. Mic not working with v0.2.1 of VoodooHDA

d. Wake from sleep not working in x64, screen does not come up, nor vnc (seems system is not responsive)

dsdt.zip

10.6.rtf

Hey great tutorial,

with the new dsdt shutdown and reboot works again.

Trying the other fixes this night and post my result.

Thank you very much!!

Let me state for the sake of correctness that CharredPC helped alot in the DSDT I'm providing

Can you upload your Kexts as i'm having some issues, for instance graphics are screwed up when on battery and in 1680x1050 resolution.

Other resolutions working.

thx.

EDIT:

Resolution 1680x1050 works on battery if I use smbios.plist with type: MacBookAir2,1

However my LAN does not work yet. It does not recognize the cable connected

Can you upload your Kexts as i'm having some issues, for instance graphics are screwed up when on battery and in 1680x1050 resolution.

Other resolutions working.

thx.

EDIT:

Resolution 1680x1050 works on battery if I use smbios.plist with type: MacBookAir2,1

However my LAN does not work yet. It does not recognize the cable connected

I haven't tested your solution (smbios.plist). Which VoodooBattery version are you using? I solved this problem using v1.3.2 but only in x32 bit. There is a known issue with x64 x3100 drivers (cannot wake from sleep), so I refrain from using x64 yet. It seems the problem with x64 is not fixed even in 10.6.3. In my opinion "wake from sleep" problem is not due to x3100 kexts but sources somewhere else in the system as after wake SL is not responsive at all. You cannot even vnc to it. Which kext would you like me to upload? I mention all versions, you can d/l them from kexts.com. Keep me updated on how u r doing.

Is your BCM5758 ethernet adapter recognised? Are you in x64? Cause AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext is not compiled for x64 and thus cannot be loaded (you'll observe a relative notification in console messages). In x32, this kext is loaded just fine, but you get 00000's in mac address.Btw I don't use ethernet, airport only.

Edit:

Tried inserting MacBookAir2,1 in smbios.plist. Worked well, no scrambled lcd when working on battery, but got some random kp's due to VoodooBattery. All these in x64. No problem in x32 whatsoever

Which AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext do you use. Can you attach it? Did you change any applekexts. Does it need a script to start tcpdump??

The 6710b has the BCM5758 chip right?? Is it right to use a 5751 kext ?

I'm on 32bit! Double checked it! I downloaded the 1.3.2 voodoobattery.kext it panics sometimes when working on battery and then plugging in power cord. Or when I'm on power and plug in battery.

I attached my improved dsdt.aml. I added the FN-Fix. Now the FN-Key works for the Numkeys and standby button. However the brightness control only works through the Systempreference not the buttons, and when I reduce the value it seems to turn off one of the backlights. Don't know yet how to fix this.

EDIT: modified dsdt

EDIT: Britness control works on Scroll + Pause. But it still controls the brightness wrong (left side of the screen goes dark)

One more thing: FAN scheme is strange on first boot and after sleep. Turns the fan completely of and only cools when getting to hot. After a reboot fan stays on low level and cools constantely (much better in my opinion)

dsdt.zip

No tcpdump or anything, I hate when I'm loading scripts, especially if they have to stay on running. Just the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext in /S/L/E. Only works in x32. And mac address zeroed.

VoodooBattery 1.3.2 panics rarely in x32, I've unplugged my battery as a) my laptop is lighter, b.) I'm on power supply 99% of the time, c) power & full battery destroys battery life. Sometimes that I want to move places with battery, on injection of battery I get kp, lets say 1 in 20 times.

Yes, brightness works with with scroll-pause keys. I'm gonna check ur .dsl right away.

Btw, FN+F3 (sleep/standby), FN+Numpad works even with my dsdt.

Never spotted a problem with my fan. Actually I modified my dsdt so that I get proper fan control after wake (the fan used to work unstopably before).

Which VoodooHDA version do u use? Have you noticed the lag in system sounds with v0.2.53?

Have you noticed any benefit from using VoodooSDHC.kext?

I've minimised the necessary kexts in /S/L/E, this improves boot process.

In inuse.txt, the extensions in my S/L/E directory (109 kexts+dir "Extsnotinuse" that I backup my unneeded kexts)

In notinuse.txt, the extensions I moved to another dir to improve boot process.

Edit: Just saw your dsdt. You've added DSM method in PS2K device, right?

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x02)
                           {
                               "AAPL,has-embedded-fn-keys", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }

What does that accoplish? U still use AppleACPIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller in /E/E right?

How's situation with mirroring your display?

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

inuse.txt

notinuse.txt

i'm back to voodoobatter 1.2.1 because 1.3.2 fails for me. It panics on battery change or a few minutes after battery change. After a reboot i don't have battery anymore.

When working on battery after a cold boot, the fan sometimes does not spin up and the notebook gets hot and crashes. If I reboot after first boot, fan works nicely. After sleep (on battery) it does not want to turn. I need a restart then.

Working on powersupply works good.

I noticed the fn-key works also without the hack. I always tryed fn+brightness keys and thought it didn't work.

Do you also have the problem that the screen is not illuminated correctly when reducing brightness (left side very dark).

I don't use VoodooSDHC.kext because the sd reader worked out-of-the-box i think.

You say you modified the dsdt for FAN. Can you upload this version or is the final version online? Which parts did you modify?

I'm gonna try the BCM kext later and report. Also I'm gona to try vga out later.

Thank you for the files!

i'm back to voodoobatter 1.2.1 because 1.3.2 fails for me. It panics on battery change or a few minutes after battery change. After a reboot i don't have battery anymore.

When working on battery after a cold boot, the fan sometimes does not spin up and the notebook gets hot and crashes. If I reboot after first boot, fan works nicely. After sleep (on battery) it does not want to turn. I need a restart then.

Working on powersupply works good.

I noticed the fn-key works also without the hack. I always tryed fn+brightness keys and thought it didn't work.

Do you also have the problem that the screen is not illuminated correctly when reducing brightness (left side very dark).

I don't use VoodooSDHC.kext because the sd reader worked out-of-the-box i think.

You say you modified the dsdt for FAN. Can you upload this version or is the final version online? Which parts did you modify?

I'm gonna try the BCM kext later and report. Also I'm gona to try vga out later.

Thank you for the files!

a) Same problem with brightness, uneven brightness reduction, don't bother trying, there is no solution. What you c is the best result

b.) Towards the end of my dsdt (I made 31 trial and errors in modifying the dsdt) you'll see the following

Method (C3B7, 0, Serialized)
       {
           C3A2 ()
//            C3A3 () // iliapis30 NOT ok seems to be the fan-on-wake problem thus commented out
           If (And (\_SB.C058, 0x80))
           {
               Subtract (\_SB.C058, 0x0100, C058)
           }
           Else
           {
               Store (\_SB.C058, C058)
           }
       }

I commented out the C3A3 line to fix fan being fully on after wake. The version I attached is the final one btw.

c) I agree with you that VoodooSDHC.kext is not needed

I've tried to install 10.6 by using the install DVD made by Hazard, this works perfectly on my desktop. No mather what I try with my 6710b, it always gives me a KP at the first boot. Is there a way to get around this or do I have to create a custom install disk?

I've tried to install 10.6 by using the install DVD made by Hazard, this works perfectly on my desktop. No mather what I try with my 6710b, it always gives me a KP at the first boot. Is there a way to get around this or do I have to create a custom install disk?

In my personal opinion is that the best installs are made from scratch. In other words installing mac OS from a retail DVD. In this way you'll know what you have modified in order to have your OS working. In the case of distros the user is unaware what has been modified. As such, when the time comes, which will come eventually, and your system will be broken for some trivial reason, you'll face difficulties in finding what is wrong.

If you have a working mac OS, the best thing to do is to make a brand new install from a retail DVD. Believe me, you'll feel more confident about your snow leopard's knowledge when you finish (there is a guide on doing this a couple of pages back, in one of my posts).

We can help you overcoming your kp's, boot in -v (verbose) and paste here the messages that come up.

installing AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip breaks sleep and reboot for m.

Systemsounds are delayed, but hey finally we have mic!!

@Daylights

attach your notebook harddrive to the desktop pc and install from original 10.6 Retail Disc to the Laptop Harddrive. You need the dsdt and the kext stuff to boot Snow Leo on 6710b. It won't boot without the fixes.

installing AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip breaks sleep and reboot for m.

Systemsounds are delayed, but hey finally we have mic!!

@Daylights

attach your notebook harddrive to the desktop pc and install from original 10.6 Retail Disc to the Laptop Harddrive. You need the dsdt and the kext stuff to boot Snow Leo on 6710b. It won't boot without the fixes.

Broken sleep is due to _PRW method in Device (PXS1). Delete that and u r set. I once again state that I don't use ethernet.

@Daylights

Thanks Defender666 and thanks Einstein for your replys, attaching the HD to the desktop sounds like a good idea! I will try that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to You all!

I have few problems with my Snow Leo installation on HP 6710b...

I managed to:

- install Snow Leo Retail from dmg on external (USB) HDD disk on my other working Hackintosh configuration

- updated it with 10.6.2 Combo update

- installed Chameleon RC4 on that disk

- put fakesmc v 2.5, AppleBCM5787Ethernet, OpenHaltRestart, VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooBattery, PlatformUUID, VoodooHDA v2.5.4 kexts in /E/E

- fixed permissions and ownership

- created Extensions.mkext in /Extra and caches folder

- put dsdt.aml from Einstein_ein's post on page 4 in /Extra

- put Start_promiscous script in /Library/StartupOptions and fixed ownership and permission on those files

- booted HP 6710b from that disk and created new user

- reboooted

Few things that don't work as expected:

- won't boot without AC power - I keep getting IO ACPI Vector messages as last output from kernel

- with AC power boots normaly but fans are reving on max - very annoying! :(

- start_promisc won't start automatically - keep getting message (console) that tcpdump start FAILED

- reboot and poweroff are messed up because of AppleBCM5787Ethernet kext

Can anyone help me with the most annoying problem - very loud fan?

EDIT: Don't use E/E for VoodooHDA and remove or rename(.kext.notinuse) AppleHDA. Also repair System/Extension with Kext Utilitiy, and use Kext Helper to install new kexts.

try adding smbios.plist with Macbookair settings

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBA11.88Z.00BB.B03.0803171227</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>133</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2500</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<string>0xAD00000000000000</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_4</key>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>0x48594D503131325336344350362D59352020</string>
<key>SMmempart_2</key>
<key>SMmempart_3</key>
<key>SMmempart_4</key>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>0x00001020</string>
<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
<string>0x00003021</string>
<key>SMmemserial_3</key>
<key>SMmemserial_4</key>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>533</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookAir2,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W8813QJ5Y55</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

hey i have a compaq presario f756nr and i have literally tried most of the amd distros available for tiger and leopard. none seem to recognize my hard drive while others dont even boot to the install page. others i keep getting a kernel panic and still waiting for root device errors. i have found solutions to edit my bios but i have a crappy phoenix bios where editing is very limited. i cannot find an answers and ive been searching forever! here is my specs:

Processor: AMD turion 64x2 mobile tl-58

mainboard: quanta 30ea

nvidia chipsets nforce 560

hewlett-packard bios brand

graphics nvidia geforce 7000m/nforce 610

and windows 7 ultimate already installed

First this is a 6710b Thread. So may be you should look for a thread with something similar to f756nr

Installing OSX on AMD Machines requires an alternative kernel because Apple never released an AMD MAC.

Second if your Harddisk is not available you should first try the advanced options in the disc utility to partion an format it to MAC (GUID).

OSX also recognizes the disc if it is in IDE Mode so you should at least see it. What exactly fails?

I strongly recommend not to use those distribution like ideneb iatkos....this is the OLD way to get OSX. Today everybody uses the real retail disc. You have a much cleaner system then.

If you don't have a running OSX use a real MAC and prepare your disc for your machine. Install from OSX Retail CD to the blank disc. Install Cameleon and prepare a DSDT for your notebook. You can get dsdt on win or linux too. Install an AMD Kernel for your Version of OSX and it should load.

Keep in mind, running osx on AMD is never the same easy task like on Intel. You always have to patch or wait for new kernel if you update....and it will never be 100% stable

• 3 weeks later...
First this is a 6710b Thread. So may be you should look for a thread with something similar to f756nr

Installing OSX on AMD Machines requires an alternative kernel because Apple never released an AMD MAC.

Second if your Harddisk is not available you should first try the advanced options in the disc utility to partion an format it to MAC (GUID).

OSX also recognizes the disc if it is in IDE Mode so you should at least see it. What exactly fails?

I strongly recommend not to use those distribution like ideneb iatkos....this is the OLD way to get OSX. Today everybody uses the real retail disc. You have a much cleaner system then.

If you don't have a running OSX use a real MAC and prepare your disc for your machine. Install from OSX Retail CD to the blank disc. Install Cameleon and prepare a DSDT for your notebook. You can get dsdt on win or linux too. Install an AMD Kernel for your Version of OSX and it should load.

Keep in mind, running osx on AMD is never the same easy task like on Intel. You always have to patch or wait for new kernel if you update....and it will never be 100% stable

I have a compaq 6710 and a retail SL cd. I have read through all of these guidelines but i cant seem to get past the first hurdle.

Firstly, i downloaded the efi package and i put on my usb stick

Restarted my laptop

Enabled put from usb stick.

However it does not boot from the usb, it does recognise any boot files and therefore, just starts up to windows.

Im a missing a very obvious step, someone out there pls help me.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply.

I never managed to install with usb either.

Use a real mac or a desktop hackintosh to prepare the laptop disc.

Install snow leo to the blank disc (Formated as GUID Partition table Mac os extended filesystem)

Install Cameleon to the disc and put the latest dsdt file and the additional kexst from this thread.

Install combo update. And you have a flawless system.

Hey guys, hope you can help.

I're found the right iso to use. burned it on 4 different types of DVD's.

it loads fine, lets me partition my hdd and get into terminal to do all the changes BUT when i try to install it always fails at about 30% of checking the DVD. and the install doesnt go any further.

what program did you guys use to burn the image and at what speed?

ive used Xilisoft ISO Burner at 1x and 2x speed to burn. It burns and verifys that it is all good. but its got me completely stumped.

Also, when i type in cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v80 it says directory does not exist even though the name of the USB stick is 123 and i have extracted the zip file to the root of it. the usb is formatted to FAT32 format. is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry also, can someone tell me if there are any special things i need to change in the BIOS?

I have a HP 6710b

320gb hdd

4gb ram

Intel WLAN chip.

• 3 weeks later...

The Step by step guide at the start post is very old. Does not work anymore, at least for me it did never work.

Do not check the dvd. Hit SKIP. It is unnecessary to check it.

Do not use 123 method also did never work for me.

Use a real mac or a hackintosh which is already installed to prepare your notebook HDD. Do not boot the install disc, directly install Snow Leopard to that disk while being on the booted osx system. Do not use any OSX86 prepared discs like ideneb, use a retail disc.

Install Camelon to the disc and put the kexts and dsdt provided here in the later posts.

If you do not have a hackintosh or MAC ask a friend or try an OSX86 disc at your desktop to get a running installation first on the desktop, then prepare the notebook HDD.

HDD SCHOULD BE SET TO TO AHCI (NOT IDE MODE IN BIOS)

• 2 weeks later...