[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

step #3

There is something missing in the guide he says

Next we need to find the Leopard disk number (ex. disk1s1) the mount command will list them.

Write it down.

Then go back to terminal.

CD /Volumes/Patcher

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s1 ./boovt_v5

after r you should have your disk

so for example, I wrote disk0s1

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s1 ./boovt_v5

But then I had, You don't have permissions.

So I was stuck here, I did a little searching and found this..

type

chmod -R 755 ./startupfiletool

and

chown -R root:wheel ./startupfiletool

Then it worked.

Try that!

@lindmar: i have no Security update in my softwreupdate..., normaly they ont go as deep as the kernel, so i think you can go with it (have a backup...).

@all:

I'm now fully loaded: 3 x SATA Disks (500, 500 & 750 GB), 1 x SATA DVD-R, on Firewire there are 3 Devices connected (SAT, HD 1TB for TimeMachine, 250 GB Transfer-HD. All USB-Devices are connected. Startuptime is slower now.

Tonight i was onto the Overclocking-thing, i tried several things and restarted several billion times to no avail, the board simply want post my settings and gaves an error (BIOS has detected an unsuccessful post-attempt...). But this morning i found a Page where a deatiled discussion is given regarding OC'ing the Bad Axe 2 with Q6600. So i tried new and thanks to this Page i am at 3.0 GHz!!!!

Everything runs stable, the thing is a killer now, it simply screams...

I leave the Settings for 2 or 3 days at this Point, Monitor my Temperatures and will then try to go to 3,4 GHz where i will stay forever.

Here is the Page i'm referring to: http://forums.legitreviews.com/about7726.html

Make sure you have speedy RAM and a very good fan if you overclock!

If someone want to know the details i will gladly tell my detailed settings and how i get to it...

Lindmar,

Thanks for your reply.

Everytime when I try to install Leopard, I get different errors.

Maybe this time the problem is this part of step 3:

[ ] Then go to our USB stick and copy some files over to the hard drive:

cd /Volumes/PATCHER/

cp -R dsmos.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext NVinject.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext

/Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/

I've tried some different thinks, like an enter after IONetworkingFamily.kext or only a space. When I push enter after /Extensions/, he gives me a lot of text, with a lot of Permission Denied. (or something like that)

Does anyone know what to do. I'm already thinking of getting Windows.. :)

Not sure. All the instructions worked perfect for me except the one line I showed you I had to figure out..

Everything else is case sensitive.

Remember each line he writes is one command.. (I know you probably know that, but just in case)

Sounds like you are at the commands in step 3?

Anyways.. I ran the security update with no issues

My graphics issue still remains.

iTunes will still not burn cd's.

Had a problem with the unzipper built into OSX but stuffit has solved that.

I'm having trouble installing CS3 but I think its my DVD.. I keep getting a Java error.

The graphics issue is really my biggest issue since I want to be able to use sleep.

Other than that, every time I go to this thing I'm in amazement at how sweet it runs.

OH Big Question for the more technically inclined.

As I said at the beginning of my venture, I didnt update the BIOS on the board at all. Can I hurt my perfect insall by running the BIOS update now in hopes it might fix my graphics issue?

I'm hesitant to do this unless I know everything should be OK.....

I also saw a newer version of NVinject is available.. perhaps that may fix it?

Anyone?

Make sure you have speedy RAM and a very good fan if you overclock!

If someone want to know the details i will gladly tell my detailed settings and how i get to it...

hi,

please share your details, i'm curious...

i've just get my Q6600 2,4Ghz today (box retail version with fan in the box) is that fan safe enough to overclock or have to change to another one ?

wich T° manager software are you using ?

(my bad axe 2 order is delayed cause out-of-stock, i'm frustrated :( and have to wait to january...)

See ya

I've now tried a friends Cs3 disc..

Installer gets a java script error, same as my dvd..

this would be a major bug if cs3 cant be installed..

I've got another buddy sending over his companies retail Cs3 dvd.. hope it works..

This machine is blazing fast!

FIX FOUND

This is apparantley a leopard/safari bug.. removing safari allows CS3 to be installed. Installing now.

Lindmar: it looks like the ADOBE Installer looks after somme apple-spezific hardware whatsoever, i have migrated my complete applications folder from my old macbook pro disk to my hacintosh with apples migration assistent (you will find this in the utilities folder in /Applications) and my complete cs3 Apps are all working fine, they even look for updates and download and install them!!! This is unusual, i have migrated my adobe apps several times between different APPLE-branded maschines and ALWAYS had to reinstall them! NOT needed on my hacintosh, they run without a problem from the migrated cs3-Install (Photoshop, Indesign, Flash, Acrobat...), so i think it must have to do with what the adobe installer looks for and it seems he is looking for something apple-specific (bare speculation, maybe users with other mobos have different experiences...). I haven't tried to install the CS3-Suite from my DVDs, but i probably will just to see if it's the same issue for me if i i would try to install fresh...

as for your graphic-issue, i would recommend trying the BIOS-update but have not much hope for the better. I think the new NVinject will be a better choice. If problems persist i would invest in a new card (mine is a XFX 7600 for around 50 euros and she works great...). Is your card a pci-e card or what interface has ist? I could be that the card is never used in apple machines (the 7600 was in the iMacs and is therfore very well integrated in the systemsoftware...

As for iTunes-burning: My Pioneer DVD-R works with iTunes while i write this message it burns a cd in the background. My burner has a sata-interface, what interface ist your lite-on?

Zipping/-unzipping with the apple default-installed BOM-Archive-helper worked fine with my machine...!!!

If all else fails i would recommend to re-install everything, if this doesn't solve your issues then invest in a new grafic-card 7600 and try to migrate a ADOBE-Install from some iMac or macmini with intel-proc. then this two issues could hopefully solved. Maybe the problem with burning from iTunes will get solved with a new install also (if it is a sata-drive).

Tommorow i will post my settings and experiences with OC the Q6600 to 3.GHz.

theotherone..

Thanks

Graphics card is PCI-E - Its not a huge deal. It works perfectly except for the minor annoyance. I found on another site that Leopard Safari was causing issues with Adobe CS3 - so I removed safari and sure enough, Adobe is installing.

I have an 8800GT down stairs waiting for that 10.5.2 update, I read some people have started to get them going but again, I'm apprehensive to lost whats working so nicely.

I'm apprehensive about doing the BIOS or NVInject since I'm happy with the system as is!

BomArchive is working..

Still no burn from itunes, drive is a lite-on SATA - not a huge deal. Maybe just a config issue.

Just ran some preliminary geekbench scores

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/29990

Scored 5337!

Not bad...

Not sure. All the instructions worked perfect for me except the one line I showed you I had to figure out..

Everything else is case sensitive.

Remember each line he writes is one command.. (I know you probably know that, but just in case)

Sounds like you are at the commands in step 3?

Anyways.. I ran the security update with no issues

My graphics issue still remains.

iTunes will still not burn cd's.

Had a problem with the unzipper built into OSX but stuffit has solved that.

I'm having trouble installing CS3 but I think its my DVD.. I keep getting a Java error.

The graphics issue is really my biggest issue since I want to be able to use sleep.

Other than that, every time I go to this thing I'm in amazement at how sweet it runs.

OH Big Question for the more technically inclined.

As I said at the beginning of my venture, I didnt update the BIOS on the board at all. Can I hurt my perfect insall by running the BIOS update now in hopes it might fix my graphics issue?

I'm hesitant to do this unless I know everything should be OK.....

I also saw a newer version of NVinject is available.. perhaps that may fix it?

Anyone?

Yeah, give a different version of NVinject a shot. I included 1.5 in my guide.

Regarding the commands, it's one command per line. If there is no space between lines and the second line is indented, then that means the line is continued and it is still ONE line, just that the page wasn't long enough to display it all on one line.

Ippel, don't be so quick to give up and go back to Windows! Building a Hackintosh isn't like building a Windows computer, it requires a bit more effort and tweaking initially. I get home on Thursday and I'd be happy to lend you a hand if you want to hop on IRC/IM and walk through your system sometime.

Lindmar,

Thanks for your reply.

Everytime when I try to install Leopard, I get different errors.

Maybe this time the problem is this part of step 3:

I've tried some different thinks, like an enter after IONetworkingFamily.kext or only a space. When I push enter after /Extensions/, he gives me a lot of text, with a lot of Permission Denied. (or something like that)

Does anyone know what to do. I'm already thinking of getting Windows.. :)

Are you logged in as root when you do this? sudo -s first?

Patrick

Hey Weaksauce, thanks so much for sharing all this info with us all! I've been reading the guide and the threads, and I really appreciate it.

I have a question about dual-displays - I'm hoping to build one of these systems, and I'd like to support 2x24" displays. (1920x1080 each) Can you recommend a low-priced graphics card that will work in the system? I see that the 7300GT has two ports, one VGA and one DVI. Can I just use a VGA->DVI adapter on the VGA port and run it like two DVI monitors?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Bob

OK, so you really want your INTEL D975XBX2 with Q6600 Quad CPU perform at 3.0 GHz insteed of the 2,4 GHz Stock-Configuration? Then read on!

Foreword: I'm in no sense an overclocking expert, i consider me an absoute overclocking beginner, i have build several PCs and modded several macs and have programming experience, thats my technical background. There are tons of people here on this board and elsewhere who have more overclocking experience, i would really like comments of the experts, refinements of my settings and i hope to get further explanations on how to go to around 3,4 GHz. So anybody feel free to comment on this post.

• Make sure you have the D975XBX2 Motherboard with the latest Firmware installed
  • You have at least 2 GB of RAM installed, (look for the fast modules...)
  • You have a G0-Stepping Q6600 (Marked SLACR on the Case)
    i don't know how to check these without taking the cooler from the installed processor, i don't even know if there are Q6600's out there without "G0"-Stepping...
  • you have a decent CPU-Cooler (Stock-Cooler is not recommended!)
    mine is an Zalman 9500 (around 40 Euros)
  • You have a decent PSU that can handle the needed current, i would recommend a quality PSU with at least 500 Watts

Make sure to note your current settings before you make any new adjustments so that you can go back if you get the "BIOS has attempted unsuccessful POST attempts..." Message after reboot with the new settings.

I included 3 Attachments to this Post:

• BIOS Startscreen after Modification
  • Memory-Settings to make for OC'ing to 3.0GHz
  • CPU-Adjustments to make for OC'ing to 3.0 GHz

Overclocking these Configuration of Motherboard/Processor to 3 GHz seems a rather conservative approach (with heavy cooling some have reached nearly 4 GHz with this Configuration!!), so it should be feasible without too much risk. Could you damage your processor with these settings? I can't give any guarantees for your configuration, but mine works since nearly 30 Hours without any problems or even smallest signs of overload (i haven't stressed the CPU that much...). Ideally you should have a Windows or Linux installed where you can check temperature of the CPU and/or make some stress-tests. I tried to look with VISTA under parallels but core temp seems not to work under emulation... and i don't know of any tools for OS X for checking thermals of the processor.

If you don't want to make all adjustments in one step then go first for the memory-adjustments. If you could start with these new settings and after successful restart go on to the CPU-Settings and make adjustments like seen here in my pictures. If you can restart with that too: Congratiulation! You succeeded! Now look at you're temperatures, try some programs and look if your system is stable.

Recommended Reading 1

Recommended Reading 2

Happy Overclocking! :(

Comments? Suggestions? Corrections?

Happy Holidays...

Bernie

post-163918-1198588200_thumb.jpg

post-163918-1198588217_thumb.jpg

post-163918-1198588699_thumb.jpg

Okay, question... My case is arriving in a separate shipment (tomorrow, I guess), but I have all my hardware so I opened up the boxes to examine everything and make sure there's no physical damage, etc... and realized that the burner I bought is EIDE and not SATA. Has anybody tested to see if the EIDE ports work under leopard on this board? Everybody seems to be using SATA for their hard drives and burner, so I wonder.

@mesasone: i tried this for you at that very moment and it brought my whole system to its knees!!! :D

After simply adding a LG DVD-Writer (Set at "Master") to the IDE-Bus my system wan't start and gave me the "An unsuccessful POST-attempt..." Message, it also automatically set my Memory-Settings (in the "Performance"-tab of the BIOS) back to default 800 MHz (which was before on 533 MHz, 4-4-4-12). I found this before also that the Memory-Settings, if the BIOS gets unexpected results in your overclocking attempts) defaults halfway back to its default settings of 800 MHz Memory Frequency and 5-5-5-18 Setting but stays at "manually". If you (or whoever tries to Overclock his system) get problems, keep this in mind...

It seems that the BIOS (when Overclocked) is very picky about changes in the Hardware-chain.

Try for yourself if all parts are delivered, but i guess you will need a SATA-Writer..

bernie

There is a new NVInject version with an installer.

I installed it, putting me up to NVInject 0.2.0

No change in the sleep/res change problem...

What card are you using? (brand/model) It may be that your specific card has some strange issues. All of my cards have been pretty smooth so far.

bob99, like bibendum said you'll need to get a dual-DVI card. I'm sure there are VGA-to-DVI adapters out there, but they'll probably cost more than a new card since you're converting an Analog signal to a Digital one (the other way around is easy! hehe). I think you can get good, 100%-compatible dual-DVI cards for between $100 - $150, plus they'll let you run any app under the sun (Aperture, FCP, etc.).

theotherone, nice work! Thanks for the detailed guide. Did you just use a digital camera to get shots of the BIOS? Those came out pretty clear!

mesasone, it should work fine. I'm not 100% sure, but when I get home on Thursday I'll give it a try.

Merry Christmas y'all! :D

@mesasone: i tried this for you at that very moment and it brought my whole system to its knees!!! :)

After simply adding a LG DVD-Writer (Set at "Master") to the IDE-Bus my system wan't start and gave me the "An unsuccessful POST-attempt..." Message, it also automatically set my Memory-Settings (in the "Performance"-tab of the BIOS) back to default 800 MHz (which was before on 533 MHz, 4-4-4-12). I found this before also that the Memory-Settings, if the BIOS gets unexpected results in your overclocking attempts) defaults halfway back to its default settings of 800 MHz Memory Frequency and 5-5-5-18 Setting but stays at "manually". If you (or whoever tries to Overclock his system) get problems, keep this in mind...

It seems that the BIOS (when Overclocked) is very picky about changes in the Hardware-chain.

Try for yourself if all parts are delivered, but i guess you will need a SATA-Writer..

bernie

Oh boy...

I did do a search, and the results indicated that the IDE ports worked, so perhaps there's a modified kext out there that would be needed. Perhaps with luck (for me anyway), you're just having a configuration issue in bios.

Also, I've been looking over the guide and woundering if we can't simplify this further. For example, I think we could move the partitioning and EFI installation on to the USB stick and run it from the install DVD. I'm not 100% sure, but I beleive the process is essentially formating with GPT in Disk utility, unmounting, and then running some terminal commands (which could be automated by a shell script) which format the specific partition scheme and copy the EFI files on to the drive. (At least, this is what I could gather by reading a few EFI installation guides. I will have to look into it further.)

Another thing I'm curious about is the BrazilMac patcher. I wounder if anybody could tell me exactly what this does? I tried searching but I couldn't find any info on what the patcher actually does. Does it just remove content from the DVD so it will fit on a single layer DVD or does it make other changes? If it just removes content from the DVD, perhaps this step is only optional for those who only have a single layer burner/discs... and for those who have a retail copy of leopard, maybe actually be able to install directly from the DVD? Of, if it makes changes by adding/changing files on the DVD, then maybe we could use it to shoehorn the EFI related materials on to the DVD image?

I don't know, just some food for thought if you wanted to give the guide further revision weaksauce.