Top 10 Free Linux 3D Games

Alessandro17

20 posts in this topic

I'm more of an Urban Terror guy myself, which wasn't mentioned. :D

I think it's worth mentioning that every single game listed there has a Windows version also available (and in many cases OS X too), which is disappointing because it means Linux has few games which it can claim as its own. There are no killer games in Linux - everything listed there you can already run in Windows so there's nothing to draw attention to Linux. Doesn't help that America's Army is stuck at 2.5 and as such there are far less servers than the current 2.8.2 used in Windows.

I think it's worth mentioning that every single game listed there has a Windows version also available (and in many cases OS X too), which is disappointing because it means Linux has few games which it can claim as its own. There are no killer games in Linux - everything listed there you can already run in Windows so there's nothing to draw attention to Linux.

If you like Linux already (and hate Windows), that won't matter very much.

If you like Linux already (and hate Windows), that won't matter very much.

I look at it from the point of view of a way to advertise Linux gaming, which from this POV, sucks. Linux won't exactly bring people if there are no killer games on it. Many people dislike Windows yet remain on it due to certain games that either don't run via WINE/Cedega in Linux, or don't run well enough or without trouble. In these cases it's a specific game that the person cannot live without. Linux could do with a native, Linux-only game which owns enough to make people more interested in switching. Of course, this single-platform limitation would be entirely against the open-source philosophy of Linux to begin with.

The way I see it, Linux and Windows have the same number of "niggles" between them, just that the niggles are different between them (not even sure niggles is a word, but anyway.) So, Linux needs to offer something superior to Windows, and although this games list is neat, it's not a good way of saying "hey look, there's games for Linux!" when they already exist in Windows for those of us without any complaints. I'm fine to admit I might be missing the point of the article though; it's probably not there for advertising the benefits of Linux to outsiders.

I installed Tux Racer on my iMac G3 500MHz with a 16MB ATI Rage 128 Pro graphics chipset (Running OS X 10.3 Panther). It ran smoothly, except for 2 bugs:

- No sound

- If you install too many new tracks, the game won't load

it's probably not there for advertising the benefits of Linux to outsiders.

Exactly. That is the way I see it. Strong Linux points are:

1)Free in both meanings of the word

2)Stable

3)Secure

However if we must talk games, Linux has more than 1,000 free games available (not all available in Windows), a few commercial ones and an increasing number of Windows games running amazingly well under Wine/Cedega. So the situation isn't bad at all.

However if we must talk games, Linux has more than 1,000 free games available (not all available in windows), a few commercial ones and an increasing number of Windows games running amazingly well under Wine/Cedega. So the situation isn't bad at all.

True, the situation isn't "bad" as such. But then again, the commercial games we do have a lot of people in the Windows world have moved on from, for the most part. The latest commercial game I'm aware of which has a Linux client, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, does not have particularly strong player numbers when compared to the stuff Valve makes for Windows for example, and so due to the saturation of MP games available in Windows, it's likely to get worse for ETQW.

Location is another factor. Where I live (Australia), there's zero point of having games like Warsow, Nexuiz, AA 2.5, Alien Arena 2007 or TrueCombat: Elite install on my Linux box, because no-one plays them online! Maybe it's different elsewhere in the world, but here, even though there are normally a couple of servers per game which are local and hence have playable pings, it's pointless if no-one else is playing on them. But in Windows, Team Fortress 2/Day of Defeat: Source/Counter Strike: Source/COD4 - sure, plenty of players. The closest thing I've got so far to having reasonable player numbers is Urban Terror and the original ET, which is a good thing since I like them. :)

I hear Unreal Tournament 3 will have a Linux client sometime next year, but what's the point? UT3 player numbers aren't that great, particularly in Aus. It's one of the reasons I've moved back to my old love of single-player games, and we don't have anything of the Half-Life calibre in Linux for example. I want to see more quality single-player games in Linux, commerical-grade too.

Hi, This post is very informative, however ther are some queries to ask about some specific topic. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Thanks,

Why don't you ask here? You'll benefit from the knowledge of more people, and several users might benefit from the discussion.

@Azurael

While your signature is quite entertaining I am left wondering, "Why can't there be a Christian torrent site?" Torrent sites don't have to promote or offer piracy. A LOT of things/information can be shared via BitTorrent. *shrugs*

P.S. Armagetronad is certainly worth wasting a few minutes of our lives to play.

P.P.S. Does anyone make use of "fink" to run any open source linux games on their OSx86 machines?

Through Wine one can get TES IV: Oblivion and it's expansions running on Linux. 'Nuff said ;) (I realize Oblivions not free, but if you've got time to kill it's your best bet. Be sure to install patches, I realize thats a {censored} in Linux but damn do they help.)