[How to] GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R guide

thysm00

195 posts in this topic

could it be because i am using an IDE DVD-RW drive instead of a SATA one? what type of optical drive are you using?

no worries. i think i shall jump on the leo4all bandwagon.

11 hours to go at 720kb/s :]

No, an ide drive is fine since you have less than 2g of ram. I'm using a lightscribe sata dvd burner (samsung writemaster). But i used an ide before and it was also working. did you pick the boot_mbr or boot_guid when installing kalyway 10.5.1?

great stuff thysm00!

i am successfully up and running with the Leo4Allv2 image. everything works nicely. Sleep doesn't work, but i suppose i can tolerate that until i find a fix. Also, when i attempt to shut down the machine, the OS closes down, but the power stays on :/ do you have the same problem?

this isn't really an issue, as i intend to leave this machine running.

thanx again for the help.

Sleep doesn't work, but i suppose i can tolerate that until i find a fix. Also, when i attempt to shut down the machine, the OS closes down, but the power stays on :/ do you have the same problem?

Sleep works weel for me. But i have the same problem as you do. The machine shuts down half of the time. If you want it to shut down properly you have to get the latest kernel from netkas.

Hi thysm00. I see that you have listed Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L (along with G33M on this thread) on the 10.5.2 compatibility page. In it you said that the alc662.txt on AppleHDA patcher would make audio work.

Well I have made audio on certain boards work via codec dump fed through Taruga's patcher, but so far the ALC662 on ICH7 continues to elude me. I have tried an alc662.txt from the forum earlier, but that one resulted in: no volume control, mic-in found but not functioning, no front audio.

The thing is, on the compatibility list you have ALC662 linked to this thread, which doesn't seem to carry any relevant info about GA-G31M-S2L at all, much less ALC662. So how do I get this chip working with the front audio and mic in? Thanks in advance.

Some one please help am trying to install Kalway 10.5.1 on GA-G33M-DSR2. It did work once but messed it up. Now it will not install gets to the end of installation the says failed to install could not write some files to /volume. Have got two sata2 hard drives have compleatly wiped one with Gparted and set disk label as mac. Then try'd again with only this one conected but still gives same error have try'd so many different ways but none seem to work please help :D:D:(

Some one please help am trying to install Kalway 10.5.1 on GA-G33M-DSR2. It did work once but messed it up. Now it will not install gets to the end of installation the says failed to install could not write some files to /volume. Have got two sata2 hard drives have compleatly wiped one with Gparted and set disk label as mac. Then try'd again with only this one conected but still gives same error have try'd so many different ways but none seem to work please help :(:(:(

Are you installing with the internal graphics? IDE DVD? Why use gparted? Just boot from the DVD and set up the hard drive using Disk Utility . I have an identical setup and that approach has always worked . You just have to decide GUID or MBR. GUID is nice as you can add partitions, resize, etc... In fact you could make a 5 gig partition and restore the install dvd to it and install from there :) It's much faster than using the dvd.

ls

Are you installing with the internal graphics? IDE DVD? Why use gparted? Just boot from the DVD and set up the hard drive using Disk Utility . I have an identical setup and that approach has always worked . You just have to decide GUID or MBR. GUID is nice as you can add partitions, resize, etc... In fact you could make a 5 gig partition and restore the install dvd to it and install from there B) It's much faster than using the dvd.

ls

Don't you get the boot problem with the partition restored from de install disk? I mean can you boot this partition without tweaking anything? It really would be a releaf for me!

Istep thanks for the ideas sorry last post was a bit vage full specs of my machine are

core2duo E6600

GM-G33M-DSR2

ECIL 6400 800Mhz 2 gb

2 sata2 320gb hard drive

1 western digital firewire 250gb

sony notebook dvd drive with ide converter

wanted to ask how you boot from the restored dvd image as it does not show up as a start up disk. Was using MBR but have changed and used GUID still does not work. Have also try'd to install to an external hard drive but does not work. As i said before did have it work once but messed it up. this was due to multi boot issues. Really want to get osx86 installed will try anything please help :D:P :P :)

It works, it was the AHCI in the BIOS. Had this on but this was what was stopping it from working as soon as in normal mode installed fine.

Here are full specs

Modified G4 quicksilver case

Corsair HX620 power supply

Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-5540A dual layer burner (with notebook to IDE converter)

GeForce 7300 LE graphics card

2gb GEIL pc6400 800mhz Ram

Intel core2duo E6600 2.4 Ghz (am going to try to overclock)

2x Samsung 320Gb Hard drives

Apple Pro keyboard

Apple Mighty Mouse

Thanks to thysm00 for this guide and all of the others who have contributed. It took me some time to get it working but it does. Am sure will be here quite a lot but for now am going to play with my new toy :):D :D

Don't you get the boot problem with the partition restored from de install disk? I mean can you boot this partition without tweaking anything? It really would be a releaf for me!

Both 5 gig partitions with the restored DVD installs boot. I didn't have to do anything. I simply added a 5 gig partition and restored the install DVD to it. Then a week later I added another one (can't decide which install I prefer- Leo4all or kalyway). The partition will get added to the Darwin bootloader (and you press a key when you see the counter and then decide). It's way better than using a physical DVD and much faster (and doesn't get you into the ide/sata dvd issues).

Try it with the kalyway 10.5.x . Add the 5 gig partition and it should get added to the bootloader automatically.

ls

Forgot: Is there a way to get reliable sleep and shutdowns? It seems to be hit and miss for me.

Did dsomeone try to (re) install recently? I've had crashes and kernel panics recently and my install was broken. Since then, i cannot install anymore. I tried everything... Kalyway 10.5.1, toh, leo4all Kalyway 10.5.2 and nothing is working, the install allways fails... saying something like unable to validate osinstall... i don't get it... i also tried removing everything from the motherboard, event the ram. The last thing i did before it broke was the apple alu keyboard firmware update.

EDIT: nevermind... when i replugged everything back in, it worked... but i'm tired of installing reinstalling... i bought myself a imac 24', it's kind of expensive but i think i spent a lot of money and time into my hack pro, i think i'll keep my hack, or maybe sell it since i have everything working like a real mac, bluetooth, infared, wifi native...

[ ]

EDIT: nevermind... when i replugged everything back in, it worked... but i'm tired of installing reinstalling... i bought myself a imac 24', it's kind of expensive but i think i spent a lot of money and time into my hack pro, i think i'll keep my hack, or maybe sell it since i have everything working like a real mac, bluetooth, infared, wifi native...

That would be a shame. We'd miss you around here. The 24" iMac is very nice but there is a perverse pleasure in getting things to work on PC's. If you installed from a 5 gig partition you'd find it less of a pain:)

In short, don't sell!

ls

In short, don't sell!

I received my imac this morning, didn't have time to try it before going to work :P ... but you're right this perverse thing is making me want to keep my hack. I think i'll put it in my little studio for audio recording since it's more powerfull than my imac (and people will think it's a G5 :P ). But my girlfriend won't agree i think :P .

EDIT: went back home to try it... the IMAC just blows any hack pro over here... this screen is soooooo beautifull, no wires... i felt stupid when i was about to cancell the update fearing to break the install :) :) :)

EDIT: went back home to try it... the IMAC just blows any hack pro over here... this screen is soooooo beautifull, no wires... i felt stupid when i was about to cancell the update fearing to break the install :P :P :offtopic:

Ah, you got the wireless keyboard and mouse. You really can't beat that combination. Many people don't appreciate just how nice it is to have silence and no wires and a beautiful appliance. There's no question that the iMac blows away any of the PC's I have assembled. Still, there is beauty in ugliness :offtopic:

ls

PS: I too have been merrily installing all the updates on my machack and all is well, except sleep of course :offtopic: In addition summer is coming so I won't hear my PC over the noise of the air conditioner :offtopic: :offtopic:

PS: I too have been merrily installing all the updates on my machack and all is well, except sleep of course :P In addition summer is coming so I won't hear my PC over the noise of the air conditioner :P:)

My hack was more silent than the imac... i'm kind of disappointed on this... i spent something like 150 euros just to make imy hack silent (hard drive silencers with rubber band to make it not touching anything in the case to avoid vibrations, silent fan and silent power supply with fan speed control) and since i'm in Paris, france, i really don't need any air conditionner, i had to reach the perfect silence!!!).

And about sleep, i may be lucky, but i allways had it with my gfx card, from 10.5 till 10.5.2 with all updates... and i chose the cheapest one i found which had 7300 chipset... :)

And about sleep, i may be lucky, but i allways had it with my gfx card, from 10.5 till 10.5.2 with all updates... and i chose the cheapest one i found which had 7300 chipset... :)

I have the same nvidia 7300 card. Sleeping the monitor is no problem. It's putting the whole system into deep sleep that is. As for silence, did you get a special power supply? My Mac Mini's are totally silent which is why I went with them (same with my Cube). I thought the iMac was also quiet.

Silence is easily worth 150 euros. I can't see getting it for that price though. Silent power supplies are expensive.

ls

When you say sleep, is that clicking put computer to sleep from the apple menu? If so, i can do it and then come back from sleep by pressing the power button.

And when i say silent power supply, i mean a normal even cheap power supply but with a big fan (12cm) and then the "fan mate" (basically a resistor) attached to the psu fan. You'll need to open the psu case and solder some wires but it's weel worse it. The only problem with that is that you will have to limit your hardware configuration (not too many HDs for example). My psu runs this way with 2hds, my 7300gt, a cam, a Q6600, luetooth usb, wifi pci card and 6g of ram since 2years and no problems so far. And the more powerfull your psu is, the more you can reduce the fan speed and reach silence.

And i'm not saying that the imac is noisy, it's really silent but you can still hear the fans a little and the hard drive vibrations which i eliminated on my hack.

When you say sleep, is that clicking put computer to sleep from the apple menu? If so, i can do it and then come back from sleep by pressing the power button.

That sleep also works for me. What doesn't work is setting a time for the system to sleep. When it goes to sleep I have to reboot and do all kinds of odd things. It would be nice for the system to be able to go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity. It's just odd that it works from the Apple menu but not from a scheduled time.

The fan mate seems interesting. It's the power supply which is causing a lot of noise for me. I also regret getting the 7300 with a fan when the fanless version was the same price. That fan when I wake up the system can sound like a sawmill. I just press it and it's ok. Should replace the fan.

Am basically running out of tweaks to try with the PC and OSX and so I mainly use my Mini attached to an HDTV. I don't really need the speed (the PC running OSX is much faster) so things are silent with my hack off :D Maybe 10.5.3 will cause chaos and make things interesting again :D

Which Bluetooth solution do you use? Will it run the Apple wireless kb/mouse?

ls