[How to] GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R guide

thysm00

195 posts in this topic

That sleep also works for me. What doesn't work is setting a time for the system to sleep.

Ok i did not understand that... but i don"t realy use this feature

The fan mate seems interesting.

it defenately is :D

Which Bluetooth solution do you use? Will it run the Apple wireless kb/mouse?

I have a simple usb bluetooth dongle from ovislink, it was the cheapest one i found and it works great with my mighty mouse, i did not try the keyboard...

For the selling thing, i thought i could sell it but when i looked at the prices of a new computer like mine, i deceided to keep it :) Everything lost about half of its value in 6 month...

2 thysm00

I am doing a G5 enclosure mod right now and using G33M-DS2R motherboard. It is not completely assembled yet, but I am allready running some tests with it. I have rewired front pannel. Everything is working from windows, but while using OS X Power Button does not send machine to sleep and front panel audio out is not working. Do you have the same problem?

Thank you.

Yes you can! avec plaisir!

Hi thysm00; i believe you are french, i am french too, and build a Hackintosh with the same motherboard. Can i ask you a few questions in french ? My english is not perfect...

The power button doesn't put computer to sleep for me neither but i get audio output working, you have to select headphones from the sound ref pane.

I am doing a G5 enclosure mod right now and using G33M-DS2R motherboard. It is not completely assembled yet, but I am allready running some tests with it. I have rewired front pannel. Everything is working from windows, but while using OS X Power Button does not send machine to sleep and front panel audio out is not working. Do you have the same problem?

Thank you.

Voilà j'ai monté une config' basé sur cette carte mère. Tout marche très bien, sauf le firewire. Quand je branche un disque dur par exemple, il ne monte pas dans le Finder, par contre, j'ai accès aux informations du disque branché dans les informations systèmes... Une idée du soucis ?

Oui, il semble que le firewire nécessite une alim assez puissante (je ne vois pas vraiment pourquoi). Il y a un post dans ce thread d'un mec qui a du souder un des cables 12v sur 1 des pins firewire pour avoir assez de jus puis il a simplement changé d'alim et ça a fonctionné tout seul. L'alternative simple est de choper comme moi une carte firewire avec 3 ports (et seulement 3, pas un combo usb firewire sinon : même problème), ça revient à 10 euros ou même moins chez grosbill (7 je crois).

Voilà, bon courage

Voilà j'ai monté une config' basé sur cette carte mère. Tout marche très bien, sauf le firewire. Quand je branche un disque dur par exemple, il ne monte pas dans le Finder, par contre, j'ai accès aux informations du disque branché dans les informations systèmes... Une idée du soucis ?

thysm00, I have tried to install using leo4allv3. Evrything is working fine, but it takes long time to boot (40-45 sec). First I thought that maybe it happens due to LAN or Wireless card, but it takes the same time even when I remove WiFi and disable LAN in Bios. The machine just freezes for 20 seconds at the end of the boot. Another motherboard I have (ASRock Conroe 945 DVI) does it much faster on 10.5.2.

My Specs are:

Core 2 Duo e6420@3.0GHz

2048MB Ram running at 733MHZ

500GB Western Digital SE16 HDD

Maybe you know of any possible solution to that problem, cause I saw that at first your system also took long time to boot.

Thank you!

Hi, i did not try the leo4allv3 but the long boot time was because of the firewire. Try to disable it in the bios.

You should also try to boot in verbose mode (-v at prompt) ans see on what it stops. If you did not install the ich9 patch by dune, your boot time can be longer, try to turn on ahci, you'll get the ahci bios init but after that the boot is much quicker.

Other than that, i really don't know.

Good luck

J'ai aussi un problème avec l'USB. Tous les périphériques qui sont connectés dès l'allumage fonctionnent. Si je les débranche et rebranche, ça marche toujours. Par contre si un périphérique qui n'était pas là à l'allumage est connecté, il n'est pas vu. Comment "forcer" l'USB ?

Au passage, quel kernel utilises tu ?

Ca c'est assez bizzare... je n'ai jamais eu de soucis de ce genre... Est-ce que tu as réparé les autorisations? Forcer l'usb, il n'y a pas moyen, si ce n'est pas reconnu, c'est que cette connexion usb n'est pas initialisée. Est-ce que tu as essayé de faire un reset du bios avec les "optimal settings"?

Sinon pour le kernel, j'utilise le vanilla, il ne s'éteint complètement qu'une fois sur 2, mais ça me va.

J'ai aussi un problème avec l'USB. Tous les périphériques qui sont connectés dès l'allumage fonctionnent. Si je les débranche et rebranche, ça marche toujours. Par contre si un périphérique qui n'était pas là à l'allumage est connecté, il n'est pas vu. Comment "forcer" l'USB ?

Au passage, quel kernel utilises tu ?

Hi, i did not try the leo4allv3 but the long boot time was because of the firewire. Try to disable it in the bios.

You should also try to boot in verbose mode (-v at prompt) ans see on what it stops. If you did not install the ich9 patch by dune, your boot time can be longer, try to turn on ahci, you'll get the ahci bios init but after that the boot is much quicker.

Other than that, i really don't know.

Good luck

Thanks for reply. Everything is fast with Kalyway 10.5.2 and removing Firewire does not make any important speedup for me. Rather good board for overclocking too.

Help ME!

I was merrily chugging along on a nice, stable, native, 10.5.2 iAtkos leopard installation when I decided bluray would be a great idea. So, off i went to the shops and bought one. Simultaneously, my existing SATA dvd drive buggered up and had to be sent off for repair. Since bluray in OS X doesn't really exist, i had to install vista. Wiping everything on my drive, i put a clean install of vista with some space for leo. THen i found i couldn't boot off bluray. So i was stuck on Vista. I also found my 7300gs was woefully underpowered for the job of decoding 1080p. 8800gt in the mac pro had just come out, so that seemed like the logical choice. So I bought one of them. Finally, after 3 months, my dvd came back and I'm on leopard again. But not in the same way as before. My 8800gt causes kernel panics at boot regardless of what i do in install options, EFI just makes the whole pc reboot just before the gray loading screen, and i now need the dvd in to boot.

Can you guys help me get my install back on its feet? I did a bios update during my Vista days, do you think this is causing my problems?

P.S. FIRST POST { for me :angel: }

Help ME!

I was merrily chugging along on a nice, stable, native, 10.5.2 iAtkos leopard installation when I decided bluray would be a great idea. So, off i went to the shops and bought one. Simultaneously, my existing SATA dvd drive buggered up and had to be sent off for repair. Since bluray in OS X doesn't really exist, i had to install vista. Wiping everything on my drive, i put a clean install of vista with some space for leo. THen i found i couldn't boot off bluray. So i was stuck on Vista. I also found my 7300gs was woefully underpowered for the job of decoding 1080p. 8800gt in the mac pro had just come out, so that seemed like the logical choice. So I bought one of them. Finally, after 3 months, my dvd came back and I'm on leopard again. But not in the same way as before. My 8800gt causes kernel panics at boot regardless of what i do in install options, EFI just makes the whole pc reboot just before the gray loading screen, and i now need the dvd in to boot.

Can you guys help me get my install back on its feet? I did a bios update during my Vista days, do you think this is causing my problems?

P.S. FIRST POST { for me :censored2: }

Try Kalyway 10.5.2 Works fine for me. Only has some issues with USB MassStorage mounting, but these can be resolved. Regarding 8800GT, I have tried once 8400GS and found it crappy. It seems NVIDIA 8 Series drivers for OS X are not that good as for ATI HD 2xxx and 3xxx. And ATI is better for Blu-Ray, but not that good for Windows gaming.

try to set the right settings in bios as described on the first post. I got this reboot sometimes. When you did a bios update, everything went back to default i think

Help ME!

P.S. FIRST POST { for me :) }

What means retail leopard? Is that an original dvd? Or just something else i don't know?

EDIT: okl i found what this is about, but i can't really see the difference between this method ans the kalyway or others...

firewire works if you have a powerfull power supply (the first i had did not work, but i changed it and now it's ok).

I did not test esata, but since it's connected to the internal sata, it just should, but you have to boot with the drive attached, it does not support hot plug.

What means retail leopard? Is that an original dvd? Or just something else i don't know?

EDIT: okl i found what this is about, but i can't really see the difference between this method ans the kalyway or others...

The reason I decided to use retail DVD is that I have faced some problems I could not solve with both Kalyway 10.5.2 and Leo4allv3

Kalyway: USBMasstorage kext is not loaded properly, so in order to mount USB drives I had start with the drive plugged in. Solution offered on the DVD solved the problem only untill I reboot. Lingon solution worked but a little bit buggy. Plus Wireless Mighty Mouse stopped working after rebooting the system for several times. Tried to repair it with no luck.

Leo4Allv3: Long boot time (about 45sec). Could not fix it.

Retail: I sometimes have problems with Shutdown (common problem with Vanilla kernel). Solved it by adding Verbose mode parameter in boot.plist

Hot swapping is unconfirmed, but is reported to work by others with AHCI mode selected in Bios.

I have tried eSata. Hot plugging works with AHCI activated in Bios, but I can only plug one drive, because Sata 3 seems to be not operational.

Edit: Tried once again with 4 and 5 Sata ports. Hot plugging is working with both of them, though I don´t really need it.

This is really great, i may have to redo an install like yours!
It's not clear what is meant by this type of install! Do you/he mean to use BrazilMac+ retail? You can't just install from the retail DVD. It won't boot the PC. I assume at the very least you'd have to install the PC EFI first. I have switched to iATKOS and sleep works perfectly (even letting the system go to sleep after a set time). I also got rid of NVInject by modifying com.apple.Boot.plist using netkas' instructions which can be found at forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html . That leaves just the shutdown issue. lstep
The reason I decided to use retail DVD is that I have faced some problems I could not solve with both Kalyway 10.5.2 and Leo4allv3[ ]Retail: I sometimes have problems with Shutdown (common problem with Vanilla kernel). Solved it by adding Verbose mode parameter in boot.plist
What do you mean by installing using the retail DVD? Are you talking about the BrazilMac method (or something similar)? I would have thought the DVD wouldn't boot the PC. There are guides for using the retail DVD but they all seem to use some extras! Be nice if there were an easy way like install PC EFI and boot from the DVD.Also, I have that Shutdown problem running iATKOS. When you say verbose mode do you mean editing com.apple.Boot.plist to read<key>Boot Graphics</key><string>No</string>instead of<key>Boot Graphics</key><string>Yes</string>?Why would booting in verbose mode fix the shutdown issue?lstep

It's not clear what is meant by this type of install! Do you/he mean to use BrazilMac+ retail? You can't just install from the retail DVD. It won't boot the PC. I assume at the very least you'd have to install the PC EFI first. I have switched to iATKOS and sleep works perfectly (even letting the system go to sleep after a set time). I also got rid of NVInject by modifying com.apple.Boot.plist using netkas' instructions which can be found at forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html . That leaves just the shutdown issue. lstepWhat do you mean by installing using the retail DVD? Are you talking about the BrazilMac method (or something similar)? I would have thought the DVD wouldn't boot the PC. There are guides for using the retail DVD but they all seem to use some extras! Be nice if there were an easy way like install PC EFI and boot from the DVD.Also, I have that Shutdown problem running iATKOS. When you say verbose mode do you mean editing com.apple.Boot.plist to read<key>Boot Graphics</key><string>No</string>instead of<key>Boot Graphics</key><string>Yes</string>?Why would booting in verbose mode fix the shutdown issue?lstep

I did it the following way:

1. Booted into Leo4allv3

2. Partition the HDD using Disk Utility as GPT (If you want you can stick with MBR) leaving 100GB as FAT for Vista

3. Installed EFI in Terminal

4. Booted from external HDD into Leopard (I have it installed just in case)

5. Mounted Retail Leopard image (It is faster than from DVD)

6. Installed Leopard

7. Applied 10.5.2 Update and Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

8. Installed all the necessary kexts (had to set permissions manually)

9. Booted into a newly installed Leopard

10. Passed initial Set Up and Installed Airport Update and Time Machine Fix

11. At first the System was Shutting down properly, but later it didn´t

12. Tried booting using Verbose mode for 10 times and it was fine

13. Set ¨-v¨ in Kernel Flags

Actually I do not understand why Verbose mode Would change anything as it should not, but it does for me.

More on retail DVD install: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404 (credit to karaakeha1)

More on EFI and Dualbooting: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...6261&hl=GPT (credit to sponkemonke)

Hot plug is working for me with that install and it should work for you as well.

In the attachment you´ll find all the necessary kexts. Credit goes to respective makers. Natit included is for Radeon HD.

ga33mds2r.zip