[How to] GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R guide

thysm00

195 posts in this topic

Hmm...this does seem quite interesting. I'll have to try it. Do you get sleep working properly (not manually starting sleep but having it go to sleep have a set period of inactivity)?

Thank's for the very nice instructions.

lstep

Hmm...this does seem quite interesting. I'll have to try it. Do you get sleep working properly (not manually starting sleep but having it go to sleep have a set period of inactivity)?

Thank's for the very nice instructions.

lstep

I did not try sleep, I don´t use it actually.

Hi, i have some really good news for the shutdown:

I tried this and it works, shutdown 100% of the time. The only thing that doesn't work is to shutdown after having rebooted.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=shutdown

You just have to install the xcode tools and then follow the link to the installer posted in post 8.

Have fun!

Kalyway: USBMasstorage kext is not loaded properly, so in order to mount USB drives I had start with the drive plugged in. Solution offered on the DVD solved the problem only untill I reboot. Lingon solution worked but a little bit buggy. Plus Wireless Mighty Mouse stopped working after rebooting the system for several times. Tried to repair it with no luck.

Maybe This could solve the Kalyway USBMasstorage problem. The installer in the first post is down but there is a newer version in post #177. If nobody is willing to try this I will, but it will take sone time as I just burned my CPU and now have to wait for a new one ;-)

Hi, i have some really good news for the shutdown:

I tried this and it works, shutdown 100% of the time. The only thing that doesn't work is to shutdown after having rebooted.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=shutdown

You just have to install the xcode tools and then follow the link to the installer posted in post 8.

Have fun!

Hi...

This is great. It fixed the issue I had with shutdowns. I did not install the xcode tools (only need to do this if you are compiling the utility and the version in #8 is compilied). I have now moved the iATKOS install (via restore) to a partition I made on my main GUID disk which has the Kalyway install. The iATKOS install was on a disk (MBR) with win XP. I simply did a restore using Disk Utility. No messing with bootloaders or EFI, GUID, etc... The fact that iATKOS was on an MBR disk didn't matter. With this setup and the fix you referred to I can now claim that the iATKOS v1.0i (upgraded to 10.5.2 using Kayway) works 100% and this includes sleep (manually AND sleep automatically from Apple's scheduler).

So I now have Main SATA HD with Kaly10.5.2 + iATKOS1.0i (upgraded to 10.5.2)+ Kaly10.5.1 DVD restored to a 5gig partition - GUID. 2nd internal SATA which is the Time Machine disk. External e-sata which has XP and iATKOS (for now). The e-sata is plugged in from start as I haven't changed bios settings (and won't).

The only minor thing which I notice when booting in verbose mode has to do with Firewire. FW works fine but there are some wierd messages when shutting down. I get the invalid FW guid 0x0000 or something like that. On booting it assigns the FW id correctly (for the TI chipset) but then it defaults to full security. Is there some issue with Firewire that I haven't noticed? It works fine.

ls

Hi!

I have today installed 10.5.3 Update from JAS. It works great!

1.) Install the JAS 10.5.3 Update, then reboot

2.) On Darwin press F8, type "mach_kernel.orig." without " " for Vanilla 9.3.0 Kernel and click enter

2a.) If you boot your PC without bootflag mach_kernel bla bla, Leo starts with your current Kernel (9.2 etc)

3.) Works this Kernel on your Machine (On my PC works Vanilla great!), install the new kernel with pcwizkernelinstaller.

4.) Install the Driver for your Audio (On my PC after install 10.5.3 my sound don´t work), then reboot - Audio works!

5.) After the last reboot, your Leo works with 10.5.3 and new Vanilla Kernel!

All hardware works, reboot and shutdown too.

Sorry for my bad english :wacko:

After updating to 10.5.3 AppleHDA.kext started to work without patching.

Only thing needed to do this is original AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleHDA.kext and

HDEnabler.kext wich is improved replacement of ALCInject.kext.

Taruga's wiki site (HDEnabler.kext)

I got sound like on screenshot. (AppleHDA 1.5.7 and AppleACPIPlatform 1.2.1)

picture1uk2.th.png

In this case there is no microphone input visible in system preferences,

however front mic is 100% usable (it has amplification) and it has common line with LineIn.

Outputs:

LineOut is Green jack

InternalSpeaker is Black jack

Headphones is pink jack (microphone) :)

Optical is optical (optional SPDif cable)

Inputs:

LineIn -Gray jack

MicIn - Pink Front

Optical - optical (optional SPDif cable)

So that's kind of cool feature cause another kext doesn't require patching

After updating to 10.5.3 AppleHDA.kext started to work without patching.

Only thing needed to do this is original AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleHDA.kext and

HDEnabler.kext wich is improved replacement of ALCInject.kext.

Taruga's wiki site (HDEnabler.kext)

[ ]

So that's kind of cool feature cause another kext doesn't require patching

What process did you use to update?

lstep

Hi@all

When I install the AppleHDA.kext 10.5.7 and HDAenabler.kext, I got this and no sound:

Look in the attachment files...

Any solution? Do I have to install ALCinject.kext, too?

I have the same audio ALC889a and the same Board

With these two kexts my sound doesn't work

sorry for my bad English... pls help!

huMbuG

post-77150-1212431193_thumb.png

Netkas way. plus restore AppleSMBIOS.kext + Edited (add ICH9) AppleAHCIPort.kext

Nothing else has been changed.

Are you using sata with ahci enabled in the bios? I am testing upgrading iATKOS from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 using the netkas way but I lose access to extra sata drives. If you use the sata in ide mode there seems to be an issue with the # of drives that can be recognized.

lstep

Yes all devices are SATA (2 HDD, 1 Optical) i had no occasion to try more devices.At first boot it was Generic AHCI and Info.plist edition was necessary.

Hi@allWhen I install the AppleHDA.kext 10.5.7 and HDAenabler.kext, I got this and no sound: Look in the attachment files...Any solution? Do I have to install ALCinject.kext, too?
No HDEnabler is (better) replacement of ALCInject.Check system preferences if you see any input output devices its mean that you should get sound out thru MicInput :) (pink).I had same situation till i replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext, one used by me has version 1.2.1

• 2 weeks later...

---------

Aed0101:

I did it the following way:

1. Booted into Leo4allv3

2. Partition the HDD using Disk Utility as GPT (If you want you can stick with MBR) leaving 100GB as FAT for Vista

3. Installed EFI in Terminal

-----------

Hello, I am interested in your method, but:

Can you explain to me, please, how do you install EFI in terminal please?, thanks.

I really need a mini howto for this part.

And the second part like lstep said before:

Do you get sleep working properly (not manually starting sleep but having it go to sleep have a set period of inactivity)?

Thank's for all.

---------

Aed0101:

I did it the following way:

1. Booted into Leo4allv3

2. Partition the HDD using Disk Utility as GPT (If you want you can stick with MBR) leaving 100GB as FAT for Vista

3. Installed EFI in Terminal

-----------

Hello, I am interested in your method, but:

Can you explain to me, please, how do you install EFI in terminal please?, thanks.

I really need a mini howto for this part.

And the second part like lstep said before:

Do you get sleep working properly (not manually starting sleep but having it go to sleep have a set period of inactivity)?

Thank's for all.

The easiest way to install EFI is as follows:

----

Put the two files EFI.sh & folder pc_efi_v80 on the desktop of a working OSX. Make sure you unmount the drive where you want to install Leopard . Switch to root (see below). Now drag drop the edited EFI.sh into the terminal and hit return. This will install the EFI on the target drive. It then mounts the drive and asks if yuo want to restart. Type N for No. Install OSX.

---

This is from the excellent article found at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404 (look just below the Simple Guide). Make sure you edit the lines

PATCH="/Users/yourusername/Desktop/pc_efi_v80" # path to EFI v 7.2

EFI="/dev/rdisk2s2" # the drive for EFI

DRIVE="/dev/disk2" # drive where EFI is <--- this means the disk where you want pc_efi to go

You can find the disks by opening a terminal and typing "diskutil list" . This will give you the items such as disk2, rdisk2s2 and so on. You can either enable the root user using Directory Utility.app which is found in /Applications/Utilities . Click show advanced settings and look under Edit. Then type su in the terminal and the password. At that point you are root in the terminal and you don't have to worry about the sudo stuff. Just drag the edited EFI.sh to the terminal window and press return and it magically works. It's magic. I have used this only with GUID disks.

I have upgraded to 10.5.3 with the Kalyway upgrade and my Nvidia 7600GS card works perfectly (I used a string in EFI in 10.5.1 and it continued to work in 10.5.3).

Sleep now works fine (it automatically goes to sleep after a period of inactivity).

I did try the iATKos distribution and 10.5.2 worked great but I had hassles going to 10.5.3 so I went back to Kalyway. I have also tried the retail install but haven't been successful yet.

lstep

My GA-G33M-DS2R has internal RTL8168 LAN, so that also doesn't work "out of the box". Did anyone find the driver for it?

take the orig. driver from the realtek site!

it works! realtek has a orig. osx driver....

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

install and reboot :P

Under 10.5.3 works my network out of the box....

take the orig. driver from the realtek site!

it works! realtek has a orig. osx driver....

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

install and reboot :)

Under 10.5.3 works my network out of the box....

Hmm...tried it and it works but it still has the Bonjour problem (doesn't support it). Does that work for you?

lstep

• 2 weeks later...

Is SATA hot-plug working for anyone?

I have not been able to get SATA hot-plug to work. USB/Firewire hot-plug is OK.

But, to access external SATA drives I need to have them powered up with I boot.

Have tried different SATA ports, with no luck (either with Gigabyte's eSATA

backplate, or another 3rd party. (works OK in XP)

If you have it working, please confirm how/what port(s), BIOS, etc.

I'm on F7 BIOS, AHCI enabled, of course.

Previously I ran 10.5.1, then 10.5.2, now 10.5.3. Shutdown was slightly problematic

in 10.5.2, but not I get the spontaneous reboot in 10.5.3. I'm using the 9.0.3 vanilla

kernel (used combo package and kernel update).

I'm going to have to stick with this setup for now, so I'd really, really like to get

eSATA working, and the shutdown fixed. I've spent a LOT of time with re-installs

to get this far.

Any help much appreciated!

Ops, this thread is almost dead...

I have one suggestion, you should all try this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...113288&st=0

This just works great on this board! Vanilla install, retail dvd, it's just easy!!!

I was wondering when someone would try this. I was looking at it and getting a bit confused about the whole dmos.kext issue. Did you have to modify any iso or img to add that in?

I'm a bit confused as to the advantages. Is it that upgrades will work automatically? What about shutdown, sleep, etc...issues?

Perhaps you could give a simplified instruction set? That whole thread is a bit confusing with all the variations for modifying the iso.

I have a feeling this method is really important. Just a bit cautious and it's summer so ...

lstep

I was wondering when someone would try this. I was looking at it and getting a bit confused about the whole dmos.kext issue. Did you have to modify any iso or img to add that in?

I'm a bit confused as to the advantages. Is it that upgrades will work automatically? What about shutdown, sleep, etc...issues?

Perhaps you could give a simplified instruction set? That whole thread is a bit confusing with all the variations for modifying the iso.

I have a feeling this method is really important. Just a bit cautious and it's summer so ...

lstep

At the beginning i just followed the method from the first post using the second image. But after a little practice, i simply removed allmost all the kexts and just left the 3 usefull ones from the original post and the dsmos one. Then i added the sound, graphics and the acpi. I also used the usb method, you can then plug it into an internal usb and just boot from it.

The only problem with this is that it takes quite long to boot. ANd it seems that it depends from the img size (ie the number of kexts and also the size specified in the hdiutils resize command) but i can't get it to resize to less than 25Mo.

I also think that it's a huge step because all we'll need is an iso with the needed kexts and everything will just work for everyone with a native installation.