[How to] GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R guide

thysm00

195 posts in this topic

Is SATA hot-plug working for anyone?

I have not been able to get SATA hot-plug to work. USB/Firewire hot-plug is OK.

But, to access external SATA drives I need to have them powered up with I boot.

Have tried different SATA ports, with no luck (either with Gigabyte's eSATA

backplate, or another 3rd party. (works OK in XP)

If you have it working, please confirm how/what port(s), BIOS, etc.

I'm on F7 BIOS, AHCI enabled, of course.

Previously I ran 10.5.1, then 10.5.2, now 10.5.3. Shutdown was slightly problematic

in 10.5.2, but not I get the spontaneous reboot in 10.5.3. I'm using the 9.0.3 vanilla

kernel (used combo package and kernel update).

I'm going to have to stick with this setup for now, so I'd really, really like to get

eSATA working, and the shutdown fixed. I've spent a LOT of time with re-installs

to get this far.

Any help much appreciated!

Software Update to 10.5.4 solved the shutdown, so now sleep/shutdown working OK.

Can anybody help me with the eSATA? I'm really stuck on this problem. Thanks

• 1 month later...
At the beginning i just followed the method from the first post using the second image. But after a little practice, i simply removed allmost all the kexts and just left the 3 usefull ones from the original post and the dsmos one. Then i added the sound, graphics and the acpi. I also used the usb method, you can then plug it into an internal usb and just boot from it.

The only problem with this is that it takes quite long to boot. ANd it seems that it depends from the img size (ie the number of kexts and also the size specified in the hdiutils resize command) but i can't get it to resize to less than 25Mo.

I also think that it's a huge step because all we'll need is an iso with the needed kexts and everything will just work for everyone with a native installation.

Hello,

Now I´m starting to feel a bit stupid, but for whatever reason I cant get my boot iso to work. Would it be possible for you to send me your iso with the needed kexts included? It would be really helpfull to test with an iso that is known to work.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally took the plunge and installed the retail Leo 10.5.2 using the Boot-132 method. I used the generic iso (the 2nd as the 1st didn't work for me). Boot from it, get prompt, press enter, insert Leo Retail (it has to be that), install. Reboot with the boot-132 CD and install Chamelion. This puts an Extra's folder at / which allows you to always keep a pure OSX Extensions folder. In order to get sound I had to move one kext out of Extensions (into a backup) and replaced it with the usually 2 kexts. Wouldn't work if I added it to Extra. I get video via an efi string so no need for anything special. Lan works (though Bonjour is not perfect so I may replace the ethernet driver) and restart/shutdown required the usual acpi older kext. Basically, apart from one older kext in Extensions I have a pure Leo 10.5.5 install (well that Extra folder does a few things) which functions perfectly. Better than any of the patched distributions. The upgrade to 10.5.5 was seamless...

Very nice indeed and free B) Still curious about efix though but it's quite pricey and wouldn't support my ntfs winxp install.

ls

Hi there,

i just installed Mac OS 10.5 from retail DVD with boot-132 "P35-DS4" iso-Image on my G33M-DS2R. So far so good. I also updated to 10.5.4. with AutoUpdater (just remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext before reboot).

The thing is, that my sound is working with the kext from above, BUT as soon as I update to 10.5.5 it's gone. I tried several other drivers, patchers and injectors without success. Anybody got it to work on 10.5.5? If yes, how?

BTW: if helpful, i have 8800GTS installed with efi studio (just added the strings)

Hi there,

i just installed Mac OS 10.5 from retail DVD with boot-132 "P35-DS4" iso-Image on my G33M-DS2R. So far so good. I also updated to 10.5.4. with AutoUpdater (just remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext before reboot).

The thing is, that my sound is working with the kext from above, BUT as soon as I update to 10.5.5 it's gone. I tried several other drivers, patchers and injectors without success. Anybody got it to work on 10.5.5? If yes, how?

BTW: if helpful, i have 8800GTS installed with efi studio (just added the strings)

I used the injector kext with the older applehda kext . They don't work for me when I put them in /Extra, but they do work when I put them in the usual Extensions' folder . I had the identical problem that you are having.

I thought that a driver in Extra took priority over one in Extensions but maybe not. The bottom line is that to get a perfectly stable (sleep, restart, sound, etc...) I require the 2 kexts for sound and an older AppleACPIPlatform.kext to be in Extensions. I am sure I could get rid of many items in Extra but things are stable now and I'm taking a break. Did you put all the kexts in the boot dvd into the Extra folder on the hard drive? Or were you able to omit some?

By the way, I upgraded to 10.5.5 without removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext . There is a kext in /Extra which disables that. Of course removing it is also ok :)

ls

I have succesfully installed Mac OS X from retail disc (using DFE's BOOT-132) and updated to 10.5.4 with Apple combo updater and installed needed kexts (tried iAtkos 10.5.4 too). Everythings seems to work but dvd drive, after few minutes it hangs up and not respond with disk in it or after few minutes and replacing disks doesn't mount it.

DVD (SATA): Liteon LH-20A1S (tried LG DVD ATA too)

My config:

Core2Duo E6600

4x1GB OCZ Special Ops 800MHz

nVidia Quadro 570 FX (tried onboard too)

S1: 40GB SATA (OS X)

S2: Liteon LH-20A1S

S3: 40GB SATA (Windows)

S4: 400GB SATA (Data)

Audio: Creative Xmod (onboard disabled)

Onboard ATA controller disabled

Logitech WebCam, Kbd and Mouse (all USB)

Could help me resolve that problem?

Ops, this thread is almost dead...

I have one suggestion, you should all try this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...113288&st=0

This just works great on this board! Vanilla install, retail dvd, it's just easy!!!

Hi,

have you a special step by step howto and boot131 iso for me? i have the same board on my desktop.

Hi,

First you need is Retail Leopard Install DVD from Apple. Any others (from iMacks or MacBooks) don't work.

Next study carefuly this guide and other about DFE'S BOOT-132, get BOOT-DFE-146-BUMBY.ISO file from this post (#84) from topic above or from here.

You can make your own iso (Superhai metod) but remember to include folowing kexts in initrd.img /Extra/Extensions folder:

- dsmos.kext (mach_kernel "on-the-run" decrypter) mandatorily!!!

- IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext (to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext) mandatorily!!!

- SMBIOSEnabler.kext or AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext (to use original AppleSMBIOS.kext and get correct info in System Profiler)

- ACPIPS2Nub.kext or AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext (enable PS2 support)

If your hardware is:

- CPU: C2D or compatible (check HCL out)

- Drives: SATA (HDD and DVD)

- VGA: compatible (check HCL out)

you are able to install Leopard from retail DVD on this mobo (GA-G33M-DS2R).

Installation process is very simlple, easy and fast enough (about 15-25 min.). I've used for Leopard separate HDD and disconnect any others disks (to be sure to format no others).

Burn your BOOT-132 iso, check your BIOS settings and go ride.

1. Restart your machine

2. Press F12 (boot menu)

3. Insert your BOOT-132 disk

4. Select boot from CD

5. After a while you'll see Darvin/Chameleon screen ended "boot:", eject BOOT-132 disc and insert Leopard Install DVD then press enter

6. You'll see question about a number of drive to boot "80 first 81 second ... [9f] default", press enter (sometimes you can get erros, don't worry, then after inserting disk wait until a led on your dvd drive will stop lighting)

7. Next screen is Darvin bootloader wchich countdown (8 sec.), you can press F8 and enter boot options (suggest -v to see possible errors), press enter

8. Take a few minutes, will see language selection menu, select your and click next (blue arrow)

9. Run DiscUtility from menu, select your disc and click Partition tab, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), click Options and select GUID scheme (!), select 1 partition (or more if you want more partitions) and click Create, close Utility

10. Follow by installator istructions, select partition for Leopard, skip disc checking - it's long process (if next button is inactive try prev button and once more next button).

11. If you get installation succesful screen and countdown messsage to reboot you must reboot manualy (shutdown if dvd tray is blocked)

12. After reboot repeat 2. to 4., if you'll see Darvin/Chameleon screen ended "boot:" press enter, next you'll see question about a number of drive to boot "80 first 81 second ...", type your (usually 80) and press enter

13. If you finished personalizing, crating account and get desktop it's mean you're succed!

Next you must install EFI emulator/bootloader (my choice is Chameleon because has installer). To update and install needed kexts suggest you to follow the guide from this topic (or another from this forum), my favorites:

karaakeha1, LTL, Onetrack, ~pcwiz

Good Luck

Are you sure it doesn't work on a IDE DVD Drive or harddrive? Cause i've both IDE, i just spent the content of my whole wallet to this mainboard, a processor and 2 strips of ram. i hope that it works, otherwise i have to wait till my next salary comes, and have to stick with the kalyway's setup method

Thanx alot and greetings from Amsterdam!

Are you sure it doesn't work on a IDE DVD Drive or harddrive? Cause i've both IDE, i just spent the content of my whole wallet to this mainboard, a processor and 2 strips of ram. i hope that it works, otherwise i have to wait till my next salary comes, and have to stick with the kalyway's setup method

Thanx alot and greetings from Amsterdam!

I have installed it both from an IDE DVD-Rom unit and a USB one.

ls

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that in order for me to boot my installed Leopard, I need to put the installation disc in the ROM and boot from it but don't press anything during the count down. tysm00 did mentioned about this problem at his first page but the fix requires a TOH installation DVD which I do not have it.

To solve this problem you can download Chameleon-1.0.11-installer.zip Sorry that I can't post the direct link as the board does not allow to post any link to this website so do your homework by using google.

It is a bootloader from chameleon, just install the file and eventually you can boot into Leopard without the installation DVD

I updated straight from Kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.5 without much hassle by following Mysticus C'sGuide For the post combo patch, I only tick the Vanilla Kernel patch and the mandatory ones like ACPI and DSMOS script fix.

tysm00 : Feel free to update at your first page as I believe it is a great help to others. Thank you for writing this guide as it really help a n00b like me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ontoid,

Thank you very much. Trying it as we speak.

Cheers

EDIT:

ontoid,

You are a STAR! Your DSDT.aml was just the trick (now I want to know why I can't compile correctly). Installed, rebooted, and all the sudden sound showed up in the system profiler. A good sign but an update to 10.5.5 thru the software updater proved it out beyond a doubt. I owe you big. Thank you so much :)

Kindest Regards (and Happy Thanks Giving),

Chris

http://rapidshare.com/files/167968190/dsdt.aml

HPET, RTC. Patched AppleHDA (no injector needed), sleep, restart, shutdown should be ok

without patching any kext's (or OpenHalRestart)

also Power Button works as sleep.

Thanks! Work fine! without Disabler.kext OpenHalRestart.kext

Use AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext OK

Sound OK no use injector

Restart&Shutdown&Sleep OK

• 2 weeks later...

does this method on the main page work for the in-build intel graphics card but only on the 1024x768 resolution or you need a patch to enable other resolution settings?

also, if I decided to upgrade graphics card, what should i do to use it for my hackintosh

and finally, since I'm going to dual-boot windows xp and mac os x I wanted to use this tutorial with the Installation instructions: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...5.2#searchInput

Would it work with Kalyway 10.5.1?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

ipc x-dl sleep wake working ! lost lan

got sleep working, by enabling , restart after power faillure in energy saver options,

problem now, lost lan ethernet at reboot ,

maybe because of OC ? even tried ifconfig en0 down ; sleep/wake ; ifconfig en0 up;

still not working, and 10.5.6 ethernet kext ?

request: sata hotplug , really would like to be able to hot-swap drives

any solutions ?

also loocking at sata / esata controllers, but thinking a sas controller , has definitly hot-plug support,

but heard , even on a mac pro, with sas controller, sleep is not supported,... argh ,....

- thinking of putting a quad in ? recommendations ? or scrap, use for media box and got i7 ?

UPDATE:

- RTL1000 driver, in preferences, set to gigabit, full duplex, and on DHCP, set manual ip address,

- went with ideneb v1.4 install, got everything working for me, ( not using sound, alc889a, but usb stick)

• 2 weeks later...

rschultz101, I assume you're in AHCI mode with ahci native mode enabled?

Regarding your realtek ethernet issues after sleep, in the "configure" dropdown of Network Preferences, set it to "off", apply, and set back to "dhcp".

-f