Vista ONLY on a macbook?

simonf2007

23 posts in this topic

I was wondering if it's possible to run Windows Vista as the sole OS on a macbook i.e. completely remove Leopard? I read intructions somewhere here for using XP as the sole OS I think but can Vista be used too?

Thanks for any help!

Yeah, just pop in your Vista disk, and during the install erase all of your partitions and make a new one for Vista. You might want to make a disk with the Apple drivers first (if you need one). That's it though, you'll have a Windows only Apple computer.

^^ Mac Books are pretty good buys for the money....

Most people are going to tell you to keep OS X on your system....It wouldn't hurt. I'd use Boot Camp, and give as much space as you can to Vista, although I think there's a limit to how much space it'll let you have. There was a guide on here once, but unfortunately the poster got chewed out for brining up such an idea.

I wish more people were open to Vista on this forum....Good luck.

I never understand why people do this. You can get a similar powered PC laptop for around $500, ie:

Compaq v2000

14" Widescreen

CD-RW

~2.0GHz Sempron

1GB Memory

80GB HD

vs a $1300 Macbook. Sorry, but seems like a waste to me :/

Well first, it's a Compaq :/ , second, it's a Sempron processor, and 3rd, Macbooks start at 1099.

In an ideal world I WOULD just buy a windows laptop but I already have the macbook! I know the majority of people love their Mac OS but it's just not for me!

It doesn't need to be an ideal world :D

Second hand Macs sell really well. With the money you get you can buy a PC laptop with specs higher than a MacBook.

That's cool...it makes a pretty good windows laptop actually.

Thats very true, Windows does run phenomenally well on my Macbook in comparison to Dell hardware.

It doesn't need to be an ideal world :)

Second hand Macs sell really well. With the money you get you can buy a PC laptop with specs higher than a MacBook.

Also very true, what is great about mac's is that they retain their value better than any other computer brand. You can sell a 1 year old Macbook for $700+ easy.

hi rollcage,

recently i removed all partitions form macbook, and boot it from vista, at the partition stage i was getting "windows can't be installed on GPT drive"

how do i install vista only or from where do i get these drivers you mentioned in your post,

its not my macbook, some gived me to install vista on this :)

thanks

Keep in mind that not having even a minimal OSX install will mean you have no way to update the firmware. Think of the aluminum imacs that were freezing in osx and windows until the video card firmware update came out. I'm not sure if you can do such a low level update from an external drive either. Just something to think about.

I never understand why people do this. You can get a similar powered PC laptop for around $500, ie:

Compaq v2000

14" Widescreen

CD-RW

~2.0GHz Sempron

1GB Memory

80GB HD

vs a $1300 Macbook. Sorry, but seems like a waste to me :/

Hold the phone there - that's a Sempron!

You have half as many cores and probably an 8th of the cache.

I just built a PC with a Sempron for my sister. It's fast for the cost, but no way does it keep up with my C2D system

Thats very true, Windows does run phenomenally well on my Macbook in comparison to Dell hardware.

That doesn't make sense. If the two computers had identical specs, the performance would be identical.

I would use bootcamp so you can recieve firmware updates as said before.

It would be a crime to instal Vista and remove OS X. And "stuck"... what can't you do with Leopard that you can with Vista? Lose all your data?

Please accept the fact that some people are more productive in Windows, even after trying the "switch".

Not saying I'm one of those people, but it's true.

Why should he sell it. If he doesn't like OS X, go with Vista, why should he sell it? That's stupid, then he's out 300+ dollars and he's buying another brand laptop for 700 dollars which will be subpar compared to the Macbook

Because in reality you can do just as much with Vista on a sub-par system as you can with vista on a Macbook. Don't say that with your Macbook you can do amazing tasks in Windows that a walmart laptop can't do.

Some people buy macbooks because OS X "looks cool" but end up not liking it, so they install Vista instead of being "stuck" with Leopard with a macbook.

Use some logic, people. OS X isn't the ULTIMATE OS OMGZRZ.

OS X is the ultimate OS, doesn't require logic to figure that out.

Hold the phone there - that's a Sempron!

You have half as many cores and probably an 8th of the cache.

I just built a PC with a Sempron for my sister. It's fast for the cost, but no way does it keep up with my C2D system

True, but when running Vista exclusively on a non-gaming system what difference is it going to make really? An extra 10 seconds to open the web browser, big deal. If i were a Windows fanboi I would gladly take $300+ in my pocket for a new Windows laptop. Thank god I love OS X.

Because in reality you can do just as much with Vista on a sub-par system as you can with vista on a Macbook. Don't say that with your Macbook you can do amazing tasks in Windows that a walmart laptop can't do.

OS X is the ultimate OS, doesn't require logic to figure that out.

True, but when running Vista exclusively on a non-gaming system what difference is it going to make really? An extra 10 seconds to open the web browser, big deal. If i were a Windows fanboi I would gladly take $300+ in my pocket for a new Windows laptop. Thank god I love OS X.

It's stupid to sell a Macbook just to buy a subpar laptop. You are loosing money. Use what you have and just install Vista on the Macbook.