The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread!

antaholics

718 posts in this topic

FFScrollX actually works pretty good! It took me a lot of time to tweak it. I'll post my preferences file later after stargate. Perhaps tomorrow. It was a bit of a hassle to get it working though but im surprised this project isn't more active.

My F3Jc runs almost perfect with Mac OS X 10.5.2 now. Its a clean Kalyway install with 10.5.2 upgrade (netkas howto). I only had to place AppleACPI and SMBIOS back. To get network, I switched the Intel Mini-PCIe with an Atheros 5008 card (11n!). The only thing I havent looked into is the card reader. Both CPU cores work as far as I can tell. Sleep works but not when I close the lid. Closing the lid turns of the LCD and it nicely turns back on if I open it. It just wont sleep. Restart/Shutdown isnt working always either but thats not really an issue for me. I just press fn+f1 for sleep and put it away.

Im very happy. I now have a real Macbook Pro 15" (intel) (gotta love it). An hackbook (F3Jc) and I have one more Core2DUO PC as a media center under a nice flatscreen TV. I think I might run Mac OS X on that as well to do some Apple TV/Front Row. I know this PC will run Mac OS X 100% with out a patch almost :) (been there .. done that).

Thanks Apple ! I'm considering buying a Family pack now! As I am not in to warez.

So a list of things to improve or test:

- Sleep on lid close.

- Shutdown/reboot.

- Card reader.

Everything else works! Including bluetooth/wifi/LAN/TwoFinger scroll etc :).

arrrrgghhh!!! Asus f3sr, I've installed kaly leo, and after reboot it stuck on using buffer......so I've loaded from dvd, but it stucks on still waiting for root device, even if I set compatible mode :)

I would imagine upgrading to Leopard isn't much different from a fresh install. You just need to replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext from 10.4.8 and use cpus=1. There are far fewer modifications needed than in 10.4.

Great ! Thanks :-)

First step : install 10.4.8 :)

try setting your HD to compatible mode in the BIOS...

if you still have the problem... I honestly don't remember how to fix it. I'm sure I've come across this before but I just don't remember how ><"

maybe someone else would know...

maybe try another BIOS version too

good luck!

Ant

so, I've installed kaly leo, it boot only from dvd and in welcome wizard it stucks after data transfer page(it stucks and the wizard restarts), when I boot from hd, bootloader doesn't show up, I get just blinking cursor

so, I've installed kaly leo, it boot only from dvd and in welcome wizard it stucks after data transfer page(it stucks and the wizard restarts), when I boot from hd, bootloader doesn't show up, I get just blinking cursor

you get this sometimes because the Leopard user creation thing is messed up. To bypass this I believe the easiest way is to install tiger first (don't worry about making it bootable, just boot off the DVD and create a user account), and then install leopard over it. another way to do this has something to do with deleting some file... I forgot how ><" sorry!

for the 10485 buffer error, boot from the DVD into your HD install using rd=diskXsY and then replace ACPI and APIC kexts.

you're almost there! :rolleyes:

boot up the HD through the DVD (see the first post on how to do this) and replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext from a 10.4.8 DVD. Then it should boot!

if not, let us know what happened and we'll try to help you out!

i finally can boot in my leo!! could anyone please send me the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext from a 10.4.8 DVD and where should i replace them is it like the first post?

thank you

OK, managed to get the resolution to 1680x1050 !! This is a real relief for me, because now it least it looks good.

Because I believe there are many people still trying to get their x1700 up and running at a decent resolution, here's a step by step guide of what I did:

(-3. Install Tiger 10.4.5 to a clean HFS+ Partition)

(-2. Don't boot into Tiger after install, but boot from ToH's Leopard DVD and install Leopard over Tiger)

Now for the driver stuff:

I attached all the files I used.

-1. Use Phoenix under Windows to extract your monitor's EDID. Save it as a .dat file, open it with Notepad, remove the stuff around the data and group the data into bits of 8 characters. For me, this was:

00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 244D8728 00000000 000F0103 80211578 0ABCA598 58558B28 24505400 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 0101A82F 90E0601A 10402040 13004BCF 10000019 B72790E0 601A1040 20401300 4BCF1000 00190000 000F00B3 0A32B30A 28140100 320C0000 000000FE 004C5031 35345730 322D544C 3036007F<BR>

Save it to a place you can load it in OSX and name it EDID.txt or something like that.

0. Download the files and install Property List Editor and Kexthelper.

1. In Leopard, I used Finder to extract the zip of the files, then go to downloads (stack from the dock) and open the x1700 folder.

2. Right-click the ATIinject.kext file > show package contents

3. Click Contents, then Right-click Info.plist > open with > Propery List Editor (default).

4. Click the arrows for "Root", "IOKitPersonalities", "ATIinject", "entriesToAdd".

5. Scroll down to the propery CRT2,EDID, click it, and click Delete to remove it.

6. in the property "device-id", change the Value to your device ID, for me I filled in <71d51002>

7. in the LVDS,EDID property, paste your EDID info which you retreived in step (-1). for me the new value was thus:

<00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 244D8728 00000000 000F0103 80211578 0ABCA598 58558B28 24505400 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 0101A82F 90E0601A 10402040 13004BCF 10000019 B72790E0 601A1040 20401300 4BCF1000 00190000 000F00B3 0A32B30A 28140100 320C0000 000000FE 004C5031 35345730 322D544C 3036007F>

8. DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING ELSE IN THE INFO.PLIST, NO IOPCIMATCH OR WHATEVER!

9. Save the Info.plist and exit Property List Editor.

10. Now, start Kexthelper, drag the two files ATIinject.kext (in which you just edited Info.plist) and ATINDRV.kext into it.

*For me, EASY INSTALL didn't work so I did the following:*

- Click Advanced and Make Script.

- Start Terminal from Finder>Applications>Utilities

- type sudo -s

- hit enter

- type your password

- hit enter

- now paste the Kexthelper's script line by line into the Terminal en hit enter between the lines (pretty obvious)

11. close terminal and kexthelper.

12. reboot and press F8 to interrupt the boot, then type:

"Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32"

(including the quotes and the capitals)

13. Now you boot into a great 1680x1050x32 Leopard Desktop (wow everything's tall!!), awesome!

(14. Now start Terminal from Leopard and type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and add the following lines in the right place (directly below a <string></string> thing):

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@85</string>

This boots into 1680x1050x32 every time you boot, so you don't have to enter the lines from step 12 each time)

Hope this was helpful.

My system specs are in the signature.

QE/CI is not working on my machine, so I still have to figure that out, but having never worked with Unix or OSX before I started installing all this stuff, it could take a while ;-)).

Ok I got my Mobility Radeon X1700 working flawlessly on my F3JP! 1680x1050 resolution, Qe/Ci enabled with no mouse tearing or artifacts!

Thanks to everyone who helped!

I followed the instructions above and everything is fine. I skipped step 14 because my EDID already provided me with the resolution

I am including the files i used: ATIinject.kext, ATIRadeonX1000.kext (to enable QE/CI), and ATINDRV.kext

Also included are teh tools that finetuned provided: phoenix editor, kexthelper, and property list editor.

X1700.zip

Phoenix.zip

Property_List_Editor.zip

Kext_Helper_b6.zip

excuse me i dont quite understand whats a chmod and chown can you explane it please thanks! and if i replace it with the ones in /System/Library/Extensions in your HD the computer will tell me that there's a error and tell me to reinstall.............

I try following the first page but i got stuck at the Edit file "/etc/rc" with "nano" command it said to:"at the beginning (first non commented line) , and the line" i dont under stand this can someone explane this and "in the second half, after "# Create local NetInfo database if it doesn't exist"." whats local NetInfo database how can i creat it thanks!

excuse me i dont quite understand whats a chmod and chown can you explane it please thanks! and if i replace it with the ones in /System/Library/Extensions in your HD the computer will tell me that there's a error and tell me to reinstall.............

chmod and chown edits the permissions on the kext files so that there will be no error.

if you read the first post, you would notice that it goes something like this:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

good luck!

@python1564:

congratulations!! B)

@danif:

where are you?? you need to try out the ffscroll and help me figure out ACPI and APIC kexts! :)

chmod and chown edits the permissions on the kext files so that there will be no error.

if you read the first post, you would notice that it goes something like this:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

good luck!

so should i just do the two commond that you typed out or i have to do it all the way from the first step on first post and how do i create local NetInfo database and what does "at the beginning (first non commented line) , and the line" mean thanks

you do it after you put the files in a Leopard install on your HD. As for the first post, most of it is only relevant to Tiger.

but as maxoid said W7S:Unfortunately, with EFI patch and stock kernel I can only boot with -x option (Safe Mode) and the /etc/rc trick with SafeBoot="" line doesn't work anymore. So, I'm using a patched ToH 9.1.0 kernel that easily boots with cpus=1 option.

I cant do what the first post did so should i just change my kernel?

I feel stupid :) ....

Lets just say I accidently switched it off (there is a physical on/off switch on the f3jc)....

Posting from the f3jc right now :blush: . Now only to fix the scrolling on the trackpad...

I also have a F3JC. Do you think there is a working fix for Scroling on the trackpad? And what about enabling the built in webcam?

Cheers,