GigaByte P35 DS3R OS X 10.5 Success! [Re-titled]

liebowa

106 posts in this topic

I've installed the Leo flat image on a second partition of my primary hard drive.

I can boot w/the DVD in the drive and it runs GREAT (even works with my 8800GTS video card). I have two remaining issues:

1.) I'd like to Dual-Boot between VISTA and OS X. Right now, I need to make the 2nd partition active and put the DVD in the drive in order to boot OS X.

2.) I can't get the built-in sound card (Realtek ALC889 audio) working on this motherboard.

ANY AND ALL Help is appreciated.

Wow this is great news. I got the same manufacturer/chipset combination and didn't expect that Leopard would run on this board. I even have the 8800 GTS :-)

Can you please tell me which perticular release you have used, and if you needed to tweak/add any settings for the P35?

Once I got that info we'll soon be on the same page and can sort out the boot and sound issues together.

Thanks a billion!

Did a bit of digging for the sound issue. Try this file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/51585161/alc889a.zip.html

Found the reference in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=ALC889A

Let us know if that did the trick!

No go on the drivers - or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I get a message that says the "System extension can not be used", then in the text below it says that it was not installed correctly. I tried it first by just copying in the files and running the Terminal commands. I then tried it another time by moving the original AppleDHA.kext file to the trash then copying in the files and running the commands - both end up with t he same message.

No go on the drivers - or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

That is a shame. I'm certain other people got it work (at least for the two stereo channels).

Can you still tell me which 10.5 brew you are using please? Would help me getting started.

Cheers,

Alex

NOTE THIS IS FOR THE FLAT IMAGE INSTALL FROM WINDOWS, I HAVENT TRIED IT ON ANY OTHER INSTALL.

ALSO, DO NOT JUST COPY AND PASTE THE TEXT IN THE CODE BOXES, YOU WILL NEED TO CHANGE /nameofdiskhere/ and /usernamehere/ TO YOUR OWN INFO

I have the exact same motherboard as you, and installed the flat image too. I managed to get the audio working using a kext patched just for leopard by someone on osx86scene forum.

Here's what you need to do!

First download the HDA.zip file attached to this post.

Next, extract and place ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext onto your desktop in leopard.

Open up the terminal

then type in

sudo -s

Enter your password

Firstly we need to delete the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.

Type

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Followed by enter

Then Type

sudo cp -R /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/Users/usernamehere/Desktop/ALCinject.kext /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/System/Library/Extensions/

Hit Enter

Then Type

sudo cp -R /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/Users/usernamehere/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/System/Library/Extensions/

Hit Enter

Now that the kexts are in the Extensions directory, we need to change the permissions.

Enter this, then press enter

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

and this, followed by enter

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext

Now that the permissions are changed, we now need to rebuild the kext cache

Enter this, followed by enter

sudo kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

Now you can reboot and make sure you boot with -f from the bootloader to ignore previously cached kexts and to rebuild your kext caches.

IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE KEXTS, ENTER THESE INTO THE TERMINAL

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext

This worked for me on a vanilla install of the flat image installation package found on the demon.

Now just need to get my 1950pro resolution and QE/CI working and im a happy guy! So any help on that matter would be great!

HDA.zip

I have same M/B Q6600 & ATİ 256mB X1600, But I did install before with some problems,

1. Sata DVD to which port, sata HD to which port

2. How to set up Bios settings ( Now I keep getting com.apple.boot.plist not found error )

3. My previous install never started withoud DVD in the drive ( how to fix boot )

3. after I solve this, I must solve sound and QE/ci somehow

4. if sleeps ok,ı would like to try

DS3 (not P, not R) + Leopard "nextrack"=OK!

Set your bios to AHCI (SATA AHCI) and AHCI (on-board SATA).

Boot the DVD using a SATA drive.

Use disk utility in the dvd to format your HDD as Master Boot Record.

Install, I've heard that you'd better uncheck everything (languages, printer drivers...)

Everything should be fine, then you won't be able to boot the second time.

Then lauch the terminal in the nextrack DVD, type

/usr/misc/script.sh VOLNAME (where volname is the name of your partition/hdd) and hit enter

Then, unmount the HDD where you've installed leopard using disk utility

Then lauch the terminal in the nextrack DVD, type again

/usr/misc/script.sh VOLNAME (where volname is the name of your partition/hdd) and hit enter

You should be able to boot without the DVD in the drive.

I have a X1950XT and have used the JCool method updated from empty skull to make it work.

For sound, I use the Azalia kext already working for Tiger.

The switch was painless and quick ! :thumbsup_anim:

One question: I can't see more than one HDD plugged, how can I see the others ? :blink: It was already the case in Tiger, so I guess I've setup something wrong in my DS3 BIOS, please HELP !

Here's what you need to do!

First download the HDA.zip file attached to this post.

Next, extract and place ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext onto your desktop in leopard.

Open up the terminal

then type in

sudo -s

Enter your password

Then type

sudo cp -R /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/Users/usernamehere/Desktop/ALCinject.kext /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/System/Library/Extensions/

Hit Enter

Then Type

sudo cp -R /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/Users/usernamehere/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext /Volumes/nameofdiskhere/System/Library/Extensions/

Still not working for me - but something just isn't right here.

After I execute the two cp commands, shouldn't I see the new kext folders in the System\Library\Preferences folder? I'm not. I'm sure I have the commands correct, and have made the appropriate substitutions - but the kext folders are not showing up for me there.

I've downloaded the file and extracted the two kexts out onto my desktop. My volume is named Leopard and the user is named bob. Here's what I'm typing into Terminal:

sudo cp -R /Volumes/Leopard/Users/bob/Desktop/ALCinject.kext /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/

Any ideas anyone?

Brilliant post hypoxiacion! This works for me.

I don't want to get cocky here but did anyone get the digital optical out to work? So far I can get stereo analog output only, which is not a major concern though.

Just thought I'd ask :-)

Still not working for me - but something just isn't right here.After I execute the two cp commands, shouldn't I see the new kext folders in the System\Library\Preferences folder? I'm not. I'm sure I have the commands correct, and have made the appropriate substitutions - but the kext folders are not showing up for me there.I've downloaded the file and extracted the two kexts out onto my desktop. My volume is named Leopard and the user is named bob. Here's what I'm typing into Terminal:
sudo cp -R /Volumes/Leopard/Users/bob/Desktop/ALCinject.kext /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/

Any ideas anyone?

The kexts should be in \System\Library\Extensions not preferences.Maybe you just made a typo in your post, or were you looking for them in System\Library\Preferences.

If you have the GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard and followed the guide word for word, It should work.

Make sure its type exactly like this sudo cp -R /Volumes/Leopard/Users/bob/Desktop/ALCinject.kext [space]then type /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/

Oh and I forgot to mention in the guide, you must delete the AppleAzalia kext from the extensions folder too! Delete that file, then follow the guide again and copy the kexts, set permissions etc..

Hopefully it should then work :)

I don't want to get cocky here but did anyone get the digital optical out to work?

I thought my digital output was working because I saw it in the sound panel, but in fact it's not...

But I'd like to !

Doesn't anyone have an answer for the sata ports I can't use ? I can only see my main HDD and the DVD drive which isn't much... system profiler show me 4 ports, I can only use two. Why ?! -_-

The kexts should be in \System\Library\Extensions not preferences.Maybe you just made a typo in your post, or were you looking for them in System\Library\Preferences.

If you have the GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard and followed the guide word for word, It should work.

Make sure its type exactly like this sudo cp -R /Volumes/Leopard/Users/bob/Desktop/ALCinject.kext [space]then type /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/

Oh and I forgot to mention in the guide, you must delete the AppleAzalia kext from the extensions folder too! Delete that file, then follow the guide again and copy the kexts, set permissions etc..

Hopefully it should then work ;)

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with me or what I'm doing here...!!

(By the way - yes - I mistyped the folder in my previous post!)

I just tried to delete the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext using the command as you typed it into your post above. I typed it exactly (yes, substituting my volume name in place of your nameofdiskhere). So, my command is this:

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

I press enter and get the standard:

"WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:"

I hit enter here because I have no password and I end up back at the prompt.

So, I check back into my Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions folder and the damned AppleAzaliaAudio.kext folder is STILL there.

It really seems as though I cat NOT modify the contents of the Extensions folder. I have YET to be able to place files in there (I still do NOT see the ALCinject.kext in there after all omy attempts), nor can I delete anything out of that folder.

What the hell am I doing wrong? I've re-installed this image a few times now - and the same thing EVERY time...

ARGH!!!

For the netwerk problem, the realtek r1000 kext is installed and work sometimes.

I really didn't understand, sometimes it is ok, I reboot and no connection, very unstable.

If someone had any idea ?

Thx

Stdu

I have de p35-ds3R but i have never ever used the Azalia kext to get audio working. Using the right kexts (applehda and alcinject) you'll get every single option except front pannel audio working. even spdif works here.

Ok!

Seems like the most important stuff is working fine on this motherboard, but what about the rest?

What about ICH9 Raid?

P-ATA?

Do all the S-ATA-ports work (purple S-ATA-ports too?)

Sleep/Wake...?

WakeOnLAN?

Well, that's about all the less mportant stuff I could think of for the monent. It would be great if we could compile a list of what is working, how to ge it to work, and what is not working. I will get my new HDD tomorrow and will of course install Leopard on my GA-P35C-DS3R as soon as I can.