Recomendation for Dual Boot XP/Macosx

trixxie

25 posts in this topic

After trying a lot of ways, this is my favorite:

1. With XP installed in first Partition, create a new one (primary) and install macosx, after that you have a disgusting darwin boot loader that auto load Macosx if you don´t press F8.

2. Download Hiren´s boot cd from P2P or whatever you want.

3. Start Bootcd.

4. Select Dos and use Fdisk to change Active flag to first partition, this will change second partition ID to NTFS and macosx will not start: HPS+ Partition Error, no worries.

5. Restar pc and bootcd again.

6. Select Partition tools and select eXtended Fdisk.

7. Use eXtended Fdisk to change second partition ID to AF (this will not destroy data in the partition, only change ID).

8. Install eXtended Fdisk Boot Manager and create entries for First Partition with your preferred name (eg. XP), then create the second entry for second partition with another preferred name (eg. MacOsX).

9. Customize the menu and autoselect Os for your boot manager (I have select 3 second and auto XP if no key pressed)

10. Save all when exit eXtended Fdisk.

10. Now you Have a little menu when start pc.

I decide to use this method because chain0 method never work for me.

Good luck and best regards.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I find it much simpler to do the following:

1. set winXP partition to active using fdisk

2. install winXP as normal

3. set OS X partition to active using fdisk

4. install OS X as normal

5. boot into OS X and edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file to allow for multi-booting using Darwin Boot Loader

The file you need to edit is:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

You'll need to be admin to edit it:

sudo -s

Add the following:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>

would this work for dual booting with 2 harddrives?

I only have 1 HDD, so I'm not sure. You could always try it out and then resort to another boot loader if it doesn't work out, such as Acronis or SPecial Fdisk 2000 (from Hiren's boot cd). I have used the SPecial Fdisk 2000 boot loader before with success.

Edited by vinlar

Do you know how to add Linux to this setup? I kind of like that boot manager, too.

Any of the methods discussed herein should be capable of booting into a Linux partition. The Darwin boot loader automatically offers each available partition in the boot menu. The down side is that non-bootable partitions (e.g. a partition intended for data sharing between OS's) will also show up on the Darwin boot menu. If you want to use the OP's method, then just add your Linux boot partition in step 8.

IMHO, the SPecial Fdisk boot loader is more friendly for complex partitioning and systems with non-bootable partitions.

Edited by vinlar

I didn't actually have any issues at all with the Chain0 technique...

Just copied Chain0 to my root directory (C:) and modified Boot.ini to look like:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

c:\chain0=”Mac OSX”

I've got Windows XP installed on my primary HD, Mac on the secondary. (set as so in BIOS)... This took me about...30 seconds to set up...I honestly see this as easier than the method mentioned above, but...I guess some quirks could come up with different systems. Do what works for you.

OK, I'll try adding Linux...

For some reason chain0 and boot.ini didn't work for me. It would'n boot the OS X, it just went back to the menu. It booted Widows though. I have them on partitions of the same drive, otherwise I had the same exact settings..

Yeah - unfortunately, the Chain0 method only works with two separate drives. Really, the only reason I have my system setup with two separate drives is because I a) had two drives installed in the system, and :o found it impossible to install both OS's on the same drive, separate partitions...(I didn't have any internet access at the time...)

Anyway, good luck with the same drive deal. I know many have had it working without any issues, and really...if I weren't too far into the whole deal at this point I'd most likely hop back and do the same.

Yeah - unfortunately, the Chain0 method only works with two separate drives.

Sorry, thats not correct. I use chain0 with one hdd, so take a look: 10gb winxp ntfs, 10gb hpf+, 8gb fat32, 30gb ntfs. Works without problems.

Edited by bushmills

Nope, first i had installed "jas 10.4.7", but all i could see, after reboot, was: .. "waiting for root device" .. After 10.4.7 install i copied the chain0 from this release to my win-partiton.

Then i used "tubgirl 10.4.8 final" and this worked, runs smooth without problems. So i dont know the right solution.

chain0 method works well on a single harddrive. However, Darwin boot loader will boot Active Partition hence when you select chain0 from windows boot menu you will see a brief "rotating slash" from Darwin boot loader then it will send you back to windows boot menu again which is an active partition. If you press F8 just in time Darwin will show you a boot menu.

To fix this, in short, you need to add the following text to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

Then you will see a Darwin boot loader from chain0!

For more information please see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=39459

I ended up using Grub. It would be really easy if Suse didn't have a problem with it's control panel (YAST2) boot module that edits the text file incorrectly... So I had to mahually add text to the Grub menu file. It could've been a matter of naming the os and selecting a partition (plus, checking the make active checkbox) in a nice looking control panel. But because of the Suse's bug I had to manually add this code to /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Whatever you call your OSX
root (hd0,0) 
makeactive
chainloader +1

Where (hd0,0) is whatever your actual OSX partition is. You can find what it is in the Linux OS partitioning utility.

Still, if somebody knows how exactly to add Linux to XFdisk it would be good to know... Without Linux it's really simple to use.

[edit] Oh, and satanko - thanks for explaining about the active partition thing. So I guess Darwin loader makes it active the way Grub does?

Edited by dvornik

Darwin boot loader doesn't make any change about active partition. It just load a partition marked active by default all times. So if MacOS is not an active partition when you arrive Darwin boot loader you have to manually select MacOS partition from menu (by quickly press F8 or set waiting timeout) otherwise Darwin boot loader will send you back to where you come from (an active partition). If we understand boot loader behavior we don't need any boot utility. By chain0 method (with Darwin boot timeout setting);

To boot MacOS if Windows is an active partition: from Windows boot menu->choose chain0 to MacOS->arrive Darwin boot loader->choose MacOS partition->MacOS is loaded.

To boot Windows if MacOS is an active partition: from Darwin boot loader->choose Windows partition->arrive Windows boot menu->choose Windows XP->Windows is loaded.

To boot Linux if MacOS is an active partition: from Darwin boot loader->choose Linux partition (Darwin shows all partitions even it doesn't contain OS so it should work I guess).

Hence set an active partition to which one you're most frequently use. Sure, boot utilities are more versatile but I don't want to add more complexity to my hdd so I choose to deal with windows/darwin/lilo boot loader :-)

I see. Thank you. That does make sense.

Since I wanted to add Vista and also my old XP installation I ended up with Grub. Also, Grub troubleshooting advice was easier to find. I didn't know how to fix it so I reinstalled Suse after everything else.

XP is my main workstation and is a separate install on a different disk with all applications installed. I can switch boot order in BIOS so I boot directly from XP without any other OSs (in case I screw up the disk with OSX, Vista and Linux). But I also added XP to the Grub menu. There was some issue with XP not booting from non-primary disk (although all disks are SATA). So I had to add remap lines to Grub menu list file (menu.lst) like so:

title Windows XP
		   map (hd0) (hd1)
		   map (hd1) (hd0)
		   rootnoverify (hd1,0)
		   chainloader +1

Now I have a quad boot with a Suse Grub menu. I had to manually remove the ennoying random pinguin graphics from there. But now it's all neat and professional and I can go back to XP-only if I need to via the BIOS boot order.

Edited by dvornik

• 2 weeks later...

Two things. I tried this, but after I'm done I'm still getting the hps+ partition error for OSX. I either need somebody to help me do another option or to get this figured out.

Also, my USB keyboard doesn't work in any of these steps, and I really don't want to have to use a PS2 one.

Edited by Overshee

• 2 months later...

just my first post here... so greetings all

i am getting that loop thing with the chain0 method.

previous post just mentioned the solution which i am to try still. (timeout setting)

my question:

how do i change that OS X partitions descriptions?

by accident I had my C: (XP) drive unamed at the time i installed OS X and I always get the "NO NAME" description

i think it was based in the volume label as recognized then. Now I have relabeled it to "WINXP" Darwin keeps the old one.

"Foreign OS" was even better!!!

any ideas how to change this?

how to specify the partition description in Darwin Boot Loader?

hell... any ideas how to put some nice loading selectable picture in the background???

EDIT: I am using Gparted (booting from a USB key) to flag each partition I require to be boot either XP or OS X,

which may be more user friendly for some guys here. All the options are on the table! just not with the best

easthetics :thumbsup_anim:(

it has some style to use a nice looking key to boot OSX when I power on my Mack. no one gets there with out it! :whistle:

including my XP-only family...

• 4 weeks later...

imack wrote:

i am getting that loop thing with the chain0 method.

previous post just mentioned the solution which i am to try still. (timeout setting)

i also got the loop thing when i trying to dualboot xp/osx86. i needed to edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to have Quiet Boot=no, and add Timeout=some number

then instead of looping back to the xp boot selection, when i selected osx86, then it got me into the darwin boot loader, which i had to hit any key so that darwin would give me a list of os's it could boot. then i selected osx86 and it booted osx86! yay!

perhaps this might help you if you're still experiencing the loop thing.

• 1 month later...

Is there anyway to choose the default OS to boot in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file? It keeps choosing the default OS as the active partition. Is there a way to leave the same active partition but boot to the other OS?