[How To] Enable QuartzGL and Disable BeamSync on Leopard

Shredplayer

23 posts in this topic

This guide will help you enable/disable QuartzGL and BeamSync on Leopard!

Enable QuartzGL

Open Terminal

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES

Change YES to NO to disable it.

Restart or Log Out to take effect.

Disable BeamSync

Open Terminal

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

Change 0 to 1 to enable it

You can also edit the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist using PlistEdit Pro or Property List editor from Xcode.

That should take care of it..

- Shredplayer

TPC Hackintosh Users Group

hey thanks, ive been editing the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver but cannot make Quartz2DExtreme to work, i did'nt know it should be QuartzGLEnabled. rather than Quartz2DExtremeEnabled.

thanks works on my 9A527 though i don't notice any improvements, oh well i'll try Xbench!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well QuartzGL can boost extra performance if the application is hardware acceleration dependent, though some applications will be slowed down when used on system wide default, for regular users this is not really recommeended other than the fun testing it but for programmers, this can be used this for debuging purposes....it's still a buggy drawing mode that's why it's Off by default.

BeamSync on the other hand is a delay time mode for CPU/GPU/Output syncronization, if you're using a CRT better leave it on but if using LCD's you can turn this off since LCD's don't used Beamsync and can actually slow down GUI Speed.

it slows my xbench score

i got a nvidia 8800 gtx and intel Q6600 cpu with leopard 10.5.2

video score goes from 250 to 200

i guess the reason why apple don't activate QuartzGL is the slow overall performance

would QGL and beamsync slow down the overall performance or feel to the desktop? ive noticed if i put my resolution up high (1920x1200) it just feels laggy compared to lower resolutions on my 7950GT, if it does slow the performance then i'd be better of disabling these yeah?

thanks =]

• 2 months later...
when i open that file,i haven't nothing inside,please help me

Hello, Please help. I have ASUS Geforce 8600GT. I have problem with resolution and Chipset Model. ;) Others working well. Can you help me to resolve these.

Sorry for bad english :D

• 2 months later...

I'm hardly an Apple in-house systems engineer, I'm a user, but from what I understand from my reading, it works something like this.

QuartzGL may not be so optimised at the moment. Your Graphics card may be not so hot. CPUs are really fast when munching up screen-res sized images. It may also be that the apps aren't optimised for QuartzGL either, and is having to effectively run the old code as well in order to translate into suitable Hardware Accelerated form. It may also be all of the above co-operating to make it sluggish.

QuartzGL is not exactly off either. It's off by default. Applications which are compatible with it switch it on, and use it happily.

Basically the data flow is that QuartzGL or Quartz non-GL (CPU flavour) feed into a natively OpenGL Compositing element of OSX. This whole process is called Core Image. Were you to do Quartz non-GL > QuartzGL > OpenGL Composite, then obviously this is less efficient.

Chances are that when we get OpenCL in Snow Leopard, then all of the tasks can be passed to the GPU indiscriminately, and the card will just munch them raw, regardless of what you want.

When you activate QuartzGL by default, all apps start using QuartzGL, not just the right apps.

The bottom line: the software which uses it dynamically will run at the same speed. The software which predates the option to switch it on isn't written for it, and won't work any faster. In actual fact, it'll run slower. The CPU is having to do just the same work as before, running just the same code as before.

I don't know which version of Xbench you're using. Chances are it's for testing current Macs, so the performance will obviously deteriorate when you switch on QuartzGL by default.

• 2 weeks later...

bishopdante are right! Don't enable QuartzGL as a default!

Some days ago I read an official article about that. QuartzGL is a graphic option enabled automatically by the software it needs it. This functions will work for all apps including os x, in snow leopard as bishopdante said too.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting old thread.

Can confirm that QuartzCL Enabled slows down graphic performance of adobe applications, showing artifacts in PDF, slow screen refresh in ID and longer refresches in photoshop.

So I disabled it again.

Waiting for OpenCL...