Atheros AR5006 and 5007 Working.

TheTimster

206 posts in this topic

I just installed the IPC 10.5.6 and it could detect the Atheros card and also prints MAC address but it prints several other error messages like

• no interface name for airport_athr5424ab
  • unable to reset hardware; hal status 67 507
  • AirPort: Link Down on en0
  • Apple80211Scan() error -6

The Kismac cannot find any network when I scan after adding the "Airport Extreme Passive mode" .

However I can see the correct vendor & sub vendor info in system profile.

any advice?

Okay, i was messing around wiht the drivers for wireless cards because i couldnt get mine (atheros 5006 series vendor 168C device 001c) to work. I tried everything. I couldnt download the airport update becasue my hardware didnt meet the requirements, according to apple. So heres what i did. I went onto the apple support site and donwload the Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. Once i downloaded it i mounted the dmg and right clicked the update installer and "show package contents". Then, i opened the archive and extracted the kext that was in there. I simply overwrote the one included with osx and did all the neccesary repairs (chmod, chown, rm) and restarted. I booted up and BAM it was detected!! So i set it up and connected, BAM i have wireless!! I attached the kext for you guys so you wont have to extract it yourselves. Just overwrite, chown, chmod and remove the caches. Restart and you should be set!! Enjoy guys!!

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forum, please move it, sorry i've never actually posted here as I've never found anything useful.

EDIT2: Please post if this works for you or not.

No this not work, well leopard detects the AirPort Atheros but, it dosen´t detect an network

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hi,I'm italian user,sorry for my bad english,I have an asus eee pc 900 with atheros AR5007EG wifi card,I use mac osx leopard 10.5.6 ,I try many tutorials but my wireless is not work... please help me ;)

I'm italian sorry for my english. I have a eeepc 900 and more time i tried many solutions, but ther is Airport icon but always yellow. It can' find any network, with or without Kismac trick. Help me plese.I'm confused and desperated. Any other Italian? :unsure:

• 1 month later...
Okay, i was messing around wiht the drivers for wireless cards because i couldnt get mine (atheros 5006 series vendor 168C device 001c) to work. I tried everything. I couldnt download the airport update becasue my hardware didnt meet the requirements, according to apple. So heres what i did. I went onto the apple support site and donwload the Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. Once i downloaded it i mounted the dmg and right clicked the update installer and "show package contents". Then, i opened the archive and extracted the kext that was in there. I simply overwrote the one included with osx and did all the neccesary repairs (chmod, chown, rm) and restarted. I booted up and BAM it was detected!! So i set it up and connected, BAM i have wireless!! I attached the kext for you guys so you wont have to extract it yourselves. Just overwrite, chown, chmod and remove the caches. Restart and you should be set!! Enjoy guys!!

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forum, please move it, sorry i've never actually posted here as I've never found anything useful.

hi I tried this on my M3a32-mvp deluxe motherboard and still not shown in airport or network settings. Shame i was hoping this might work.

• 3 months later...
Step to install IO80211Family.kext.zip file posted by TheTimster:-

1) Unzip the file at Desktop (for example) and you should get IO80211Family.kext folder

2) Make backup for your existing IO80211Family.kext folder (/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext) to safe location.

-- Run this in terminal:

$ sudo -s

$ mkdir /BackupExt

$ cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext /BackupExt/

3) Now you have your original kext file in /BackupExt folder. This usefull if you have problem later.

4) Now you have to copy the IO80211Family.kext folder from Desktop to original location

$ cp -R /Users/<your login id>/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

5) Remove kextcache file, so OS X will rebuild it at reboot.

$ rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

$ rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

6) Fix permission

$ diskutil repairPermissions /

7) Reboot

If you got kernel panic after reboot, boot with your installation DVD and use Terminal program to restore the original KEXT file from backup. Your partition should mount in /Volumes folder, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

I did what kizwan posted. Doesn't detect Atheros AR5007. Appears Wifi logo on top, but appears as disabled and I can't enable it. At System Profiler doesn't appear.

Thanks in advance! Wireless is the only thing that doesn't work at my Hackintosh!

Maybe it's just me but I have not yet found an Atheros card I was not able to make work including the AR5007 series because I have spent so much time on this subject.

Baring any BIOS whitelist (cause I don't have a laptop but do have a miniPCI and miniPCIe slot in my badaxe2 so I can use laptop adapters) I am able to recognize the card in OSX and reflash with modified firmware which includes rebranding with apple ID's.

For the most part you can perform the rebrand using the Atheros linux tools (don't ask me for instructions, tutorials or guides - use google) which was how I was doing it when I first started rebranding cards before I moved to a totally Mac OS X solution.

The key is in knowing exactly what options are available in your card based on the chipset and to rebrand accordingly and I have made several references to this so time to educate yourself by reading.

You will not get any AR5007xx working properly without rebranding the card, those that support 802.11a/b/g are much more compatible and are worth the effort to rebrand while the 802.11b/g cards can benefit from the rebrand, the effort is not worth the time in my opinion.

What I do see as a bigger problem is that no one seems to know exactly what hardware they actually have, they don't look for similar posts which might contain a solution, they wont take advice to make required changes and want a solution that requires nothing more than editing an Info.plist file to add their cards ID's and they demand a solution rather than ask in a respectful manner.

I have made many replies regarding the AR5007xx issues and one person took my advice made the changes and now enjoys the good life while everyone else finds it too difficult and want a step by step tutorial and this isn't going to happen.

• These are your only options!!!
  • you buy another card that works out of the box (AR5BXB6 are cheap on fleabay)
  • you write a driver that works with your existing card as is (I did this for the AR5001 but good luck to you)
  • you pay someone for their time to write you a driver(not economical for you and I'm not interested in writing it)
  • you buy a cheap Mac OS X compatible USB adapter that comes with driver for Mac OS X(so you don't waste more time playing with an incompatible device)
  • you give up on wireless all-together and stick with wired ethernet

Hey, you said you wrote a working driver for ar5001? (Madwifi shows my card as a ar5001 even though im pretty sure it's a 5007)

/opius

hello !

i'm from the netherlands, and i've installed mac on my emachines laptop (acer)

because some program's won't work with vista (i am a musican)

after installing mac, the wirelles on/off button won't work

i have a atheros ar5bx863 and i've read the topic about 3 times but don't understand anything of it!

please can some one help me !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was using this method and it worked fine for months and it just quit working :P:rolleyes: there have been no more updates and I have tried (rebooted 100+ times) tried booting into windows first tried everything I can think of I reinstalled every thing and it will work one time and not again any advice

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just installed mac osx 10.6.2 on toshiba NB100 a12 BUT i have to plug in my LCD to get the video and i dont have any LAN or WLAN can you help me,

Wireless Lan Driver Atheros Windows XP 7.7.0.233.1

Display Driver Intel Windows XP 6.14.10.4926

LAN Driver Realtek Semiconductor Corporation Windows XP 5.694.507.2008

as you can see thats for XP im in the Mac OSX 10.6.2 by hazard please help me ive seen other posts but i didnt see anyone with the same problem .

im new to this and i dontknow about patching on mac YET !

thanks for anything you can do inadvance !

yo ,hi

thanks for sharing the work u've done.but .... im still new to Mac, just installed it,although tried 10000 times before turning my sound on . i did find it thanks to me dissambling my whole laptop, to every single piece. I saw the chipsets, anyway...

what i dont understand is this "chmod, chown, rm " . Can you tell what these actions means, how do i do it ?

i have atheros 5007 eg

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

please help me i have a ibm thinkpad t41 (2373) and i installed mac os x leopard 10.5.1 (kalyway 10.5.1) and i used ideneb combo upgrade to upgrade it to 10.5.8 and i realised what ever i did my wireless wouldn't work my thinkpad has a atheros wireless card

and i tried this from a different web post

For the wireless to work, go to folder /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/ and open the file Info.plist as super user (sudo vi Info.plist). Add the following text within <IONameMatch> in the key-section <Atheros Wireless LAN PCI></Atheros Wireless LAN PCI>:

<string>pci168c,1014</string>

Then save and close the file. Set the right permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

and clean the cache

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Then, reboot (preferably with option “-v”).

but it never worked so i hope your way works thank you for the file i will reply if it works :)