Atheros AR5006 and 5007 Working.

TheTimster

206 posts in this topic

What did you do ? Mine doesn't and it's a Apple one, extracted from an original MacBook pro Core Duo

Are you sure your hardware ID already exist in the athreos kext file? Your minipcie bus may misconfigured by bios. Try ~Eureka's (Chun-Nan) IOPCIFamily.kext. Search in this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a AR5007EG like most of people around, why is there no one able to solve the problem?

I have this wifi on an Esprimo V5515 that has Kaly on it and the wifi is out, the Mirage S3 i got it working!

hi,

I have azurewave aw-ge740 atheros 5006eg mini-pcie on dv5280ea (hp dv5000) and its ids 0168c,001c.

Its working chuck nan's IOPCIFamily (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=119291&view=findpost&p=904446) and original IO80211Family.kext (change IO80211Family.kext.orig to IO80211Family.kext) and apple80211 frameworks on Kalyway 10.5.2.

and I tired this upchuck 10.4.9i with IOPCIFamily.tiger.

But I have the little problem.My Intel Pro 100 VE nic dont work with this method.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey grendude. I have a very similar card: AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter. I am a programmer, but know next to nothing about drivers / hardware. I was able to get the wireless card working using NDISWRAPPER and a windows wrapper. Given that mac and Linux are both *NIX systems is there any way I can adapt what I did in Linux for Mac or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Thanks but this one isn't helping that much.

Since I don't have your card I can't play arround with your working code, too much.

What I'm looking for is how OS X is configuring a working AR5006 card.

7:~ 3k$ sudo -s

Password:

Sorry, try again.

Password:

bash-3.2# chown -r 0:0 /system/library/extensions/iopcifamily*

chown: illegal option -- r

usage: chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ...

chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ...

bash-3.2# chmod -r 755 /system/library/extensions/iopcifamily*

chmod: 755: No such file or directory

chmod: /system/library/extensions/iopcifamily*: No such file or directory

bash-3.2# touch /system/library/extensions

bash-3.2#

the problem is this :

bash-3.2# chmod -r 755 /system/library/extensions/iopcifamily*

chmod: 755: No such file or directory

how can i solution this problem?

wish you answer

thanks

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 using Leopard 10.5.4.(iATKOS 4i.iso) and Vista Ultimate

.In Vista under Device Manager it gives me an Atheros 5007EG but on another

hard Disk runing XP it displays Atheros 5006 so i did the following

1.Without installing Airport Update 2008-004 l use kext helper to install io80211family.kext (v.2.1.2)

2. After an restart l noticed that Airport turned on but yellow (No Network) I have tried at least 5

or 6 different versions of io80211family.kext but only version 2.1.2 loads properly and gives me

under System Profiler/Airport Card/ Airport Extreme (0x168c,0x428) and System Profiler/ Extensions

-AirPortAtheros v.3.1.5

-IO80211Family v.2.1.2

I noticed that the networkinterface.plist under /library/preferences/systemconfiguration is en1

If l delete all the mkext files and repair io80211family.kext permissions

(chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

chown -R root:wheel /system/extensions/io80211family.kext),

after the next restart the AirPortAtheros /IO80211Family are vanished!!!

3. So I tried the >-f< trick editing f to com.apple.boot.plist

from /Library /Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

as bellow

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key> Kernel Flags </key>

<string>-f</string>

4. Although it gave me kernel panic l rebooted as -v so l reboot again as root user

5.Then without Repair disk permission or repairing io80211family.kext permissions again or anything else

6.l started kismac went to preferences --> driver and add airport extreme passive mode --> Start scan

and after l see network detected, l close it .l went to the airport icon on the top right on my desktop

and my network was listed. I clicked on it

From System preferences/Network the Airport icon is green!!!!Surfing with safari the the wireless Lan LED is

always inactive like if it doesn't work?The only thing thats annoying is that l have to always start kismac.

IO80211Family_kext_v.2.1.2.zip

Atheros_5007EG_proof.zip

• 3 weeks later...
I finally got my wireless working on my BenQ S41 with AR5006EG

i used chuck nan's IOPCIFamily (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=119291&view=findpost&p=904446)

and the kext in the first post of this thread

Thx a lot

peter

hi there~ can u please teach me step by step how u made the wireless on s41 work?

ive been trying for a very long time...

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 using Leopard 10.5.4.(iATKOS 4i.iso) and Vista Ultimate

.In Vista under Device Manager it gives me an Atheros 5007EG but on another

hard Disk runing XP it displays Atheros 5006 so i did the following

1.Without installing Airport Update 2008-004 l use kext helper to install io80211family.kext (v.2.1.2)

2. After an restart l noticed that Airport turned on but yellow (No Network) I have tried at least 5

or 6 different versions of io80211family.kext but only version 2.1.2 loads properly and gives me

under System Profiler/Airport Card/ Airport Extreme (0x168c,0x428) and System Profiler/ Extensions

-AirPortAtheros v.3.1.5

-IO80211Family v.2.1.2

I noticed that the networkinterface.plist under /library/preferences/systemconfiguration is en1

If l delete all the mkext files and repair io80211family.kext permissions

(chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

chown -R root:wheel /system/extensions/io80211family.kext),

after the next restart the AirPortAtheros /IO80211Family are vanished!!!

3. So I tried the >-f< trick editing f to com.apple.boot.plist

from /Library /Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

as bellow

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key> Kernel Flags </key>

<string>-f</string>

4. Although it gave me kernel panic l rebooted as -v so l reboot again as root user

5.Then without Repair disk permission or repairing io80211family.kext permissions again or anything else

6.l started kismac went to preferences --> driver and add airport extreme passive mode --> Start scan

and after l see network detected, l close it .l went to the airport icon on the top right on my desktop

and my network was listed. I clicked on it

From System preferences/Network the Airport icon is green!!!!Surfing with safari the the wireless Lan LED is

always inactive like if it doesn't work?The only thing thats annoying is that l have to always start kismac.

My system is the Compaq c762nr with the Atheros AR5007 chip.

With this kext, the driver loaded and is visible in the system profiler and network tab but no luck with kismac. No matter what i try, the scan comes up empty and I can't connect to anything.

So close and yet so far.

In the network tab, if I manually type in a network to join and set the correct security settings, it'll try to connect then just say "Connection Failed"

*** UPDATE ***

I'm making this post from my wireless connection from my Compaq C762nr in OSX Leopard 10.5.2. Today, I got 2 kernel panics then booted into Leopard. First thing I did was open up kismac and start scanning. To my amazement I saw access points. I then closed kismac and clicked my wireless icon. I connected and here I am. I'll see how long this connection stays open.

I was telling myself that I was going to get rid of that kext cuz I was getting tired of kernel panics.

I have an aspire one i installed the kext above on iatkos 5i 10.5.5 and it did not work but i was reading somewhere the some acers have problems wif the bios accsessing the pci-e bus at startup so i did some brain storming and found a kext that made it work i restarted and opened system profiler and i had the card dectected so i retarted again and i got stuck at the apple gery screen loading so i hard powered off and booted with -v and i can see the card and pci bus being dectected but im stuck at

jnl: unknown-dev: journal start/end pointers reset! (jnl 0x273af00; s 0x4d2800 e 0x4d2800)

so i think im on to something but i cant get past that above

even if i do -s and /sbin/fsck -fy it freezes

please help

:)

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks Gabo_c! That Kext allows mac to see my wireless card but I can't join any networks. Any ideas?

Same problem here. Acer Aspire One with Atheros AR5007EG. Can turn airport on & off but can find no networks when scanning with kisMAC. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Update 1: Ok I edited the networkinterfaces.plist file and switched the en1 to en0. Now I can detect networks but when I try to join I get "connection timeout". This happens on open & secure networks. I've got a Dell 1390 card on the way and hopefully that will ease my suffering! :-/ Until then I'm still looking for suggestions.

Same problem here. Acer Aspire One with Atheros AR5007EG. Can turn airport on & off but can find no networks when scanning with kisMAC. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Update 1: Ok I edited the networkinterfaces.plist file and switched the en1 to en0. Now I can detect networks but when I try to join I get "connection timeout". This happens on open & secure networks. I've got a Dell 1390 card on the way and hopefully that will ease my suffering! :-/ Until then I'm still looking for suggestions.

Well guys if you have WAP or WEP sometime it happens, then go to system preferences, net, airport and add manually, wap/wep... and the password, aplly , deactivate airport and activate, should conect if you previusly run kismac and see the networks, so if don't .. then run kissmac, see if some networks appears then close kissmac and try to joing again, but, if you dont see anything on kissmac you must restar the computer. do not try to join wile kissmac is scanning..this should happen sometimes on reals mac on non apple routers...specially on zyxel brands.

Well guys if you have WAP or WEP sometime it happens, then go to system preferences, net, airport and add manually, wap/wep... and the password, aplly , deactivate airport and activate, should conect if you previusly run kismac and see the networks, so if don't .. then run kissmac, see if some networks appears then close kissmac and try to joing again, but, if you dont see anything on kissmac you must restar the computer. do not try to join wile kissmac is scanning..this should happen sometimes on reals mac on non apple routers...specially on zyxel brands.

It appears my problem was the permissions which I never repaired. After repairing permissions all is good. I knew I was supposed to repair the permissions but I didn't know that the disk utility was located in the utility folder. lol All part of the noob learning process I guess.

Also after I got the wireless working I installed the HDA kexts for the microphone fix. It worked but broke my wireless connection again. I found that the networkInterfaces.plist had reverted the en0 & en1 ports back to the original and so I had to edit the file again. Once I did that my wireless came back to life.

My last issue is that I'm using the slim battery monitor and I like it but how do I get rid of the other standard battery icon from the menu bar?

It appears my problem was the permissions which I never repaired. After repairing permissions all is good. I knew I was supposed to repair the permissions but I didn't know that the disk utility was located in the utility folder. lol All part of the noob learning process I guess.

Also after I got the wireless working I installed the HDA kexts for the microphone fix. It worked but broke my wireless connection again. I found that the networkInterfaces.plist had reverted the en0 & en1 ports back to the original and so I had to edit the file again. Once I did that my wireless came back to life.

My last issue is that I'm using the slim battery monitor and I like it but how do I get rid of the other standard battery icon from the menu bar?

Should be on sytem preferences, Energy Save...

• 2 weeks later...

Newbs: you need Chun Nan's IOPCI, IOPMCI and IONetworking. Plus you need IO80211 v2.1.2 Find them here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156546

(it may be Marvel/Yukon IOPCI/IONet, not sure, all I know is I have working wireless Ar5006eg / Ar5007eg --devids 168cx001c and kismac)

Okay, i was messing around wiht the drivers for wireless cards because i couldnt get mine (atheros 5006 series vendor 168C device 001c) to work. I tried everything. I couldnt download the airport update becasue my hardware didnt meet the requirements, according to apple. So heres what i did. I went onto the apple support site and donwload the Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. Once i downloaded it i mounted the dmg and right clicked the update installer and "show package contents". Then, i opened the archive and extracted the kext that was in there. I simply overwrote the one included with osx and did all the neccesary repairs (chmod, chown, rm) and restarted. I booted up and BAM it was detected!! So i set it up and connected, BAM i have wireless!! I attached the kext for you guys so you wont have to extract it yourselves. Just overwrite, chown, chmod and remove the caches. Restart and you should be set!! Enjoy guys!!

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forum, please move it, sorry i've never actually posted here as I've never found anything useful.

EDIT2: Please post if this works for you or not.