Monster Q-core Hackintosh for FCS2 and XP/Vista!

26 posts in this topic

Hello all,

After researching this forum for the last week, I'm now prepared to buy my DREAM hackintosh.

I will use it for both windows (editing, office & games) and Hackintosh (Final cut and more).

Here is what I going to buy:

Processor:

INTEL CORE 2 DU QUAD Q6600 2.4GHZ 1066MHZ 8MB 64BIT BOX

I will OverClock it to about 3Ghz (don't want the system to be unstable)

Motherboard:

P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP

At first I thought about the Bad Axe 2 but it was very important to me that the MoBo will support the new Penryn (45nm) processors due to arrive this year.

When they'll hit the market and the price will drop I'll be able to easily upgrade without replacing the Mobo.

I understand that the P5K3's extra features will not run "out of the box" but asap18 who has the P5K3 recommended it to me and even showed me a way that should be simple for a newbie like me to run:

asap18's answer to my question:

Hi, Firstly, it is very unlikely, and i mean very unlikely the xbx2 will support penryn (Doesn't even support the e6850 or qx6850 atm). I prefer the p35 board, due to extra features like 2 LAN's, built in wifi, and the new memory controller, penryn support, etc that comes with the p5k deluxe. Regarding compatibility i recommend just going all sata including dvd drive. I made a bash script that will fix all nonworking stuff except wifi drivers which can be downloaded from realtek's site. If you get an IDE dvd drive, the install might be a pain bc atm i dont think any dvd's have the jmicron driver, although u could add it yourself.

Script is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?b0e9nhgfznd

And I recommend getting a firewire sound device, bc although it works with audio out, afaik nothing else (mic, line in) work. I am very happy with this board :dev: as i dont see the point in buying old gen stuff like the bad axe when the new stuff is out.

What do you say about this script? Is dummy-newbie proof? :P

Memory (DDR2):

CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX DDR2 4GB (2GBX2) 800MHZ CL5 XMS DH

Should do the job… it was important for me to have 2 modules of 2GB for future upgrades.

Hard Drive(s):

4 X W.D WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB BUFFER

I'm not sure that I'm going to do RAID0

Hard Drive planed Usage:

1) Two Partitions: A. NTFS - Windows B. HFS+ - OSX

2) NTFS Personal Data, documents, photos, music movies etc,

3) NTFS Working area for editing both for WIN Apps and OSX (FCP)

4) NTFS Working area for editing both for WIN Apps and OSX (FCP)

I'm going to use NTFS-3G so I should be able to work with FCP with no problems.

If you guys have a better way for me to use the Hard Drives please tell me.

Graphics card:

SAPPHIRE X1950XT ATI RADEON X1950XT 256MB DDR3 DVI VIVO PCI-E

OK it was very important for me that the hardware will be compatible and will work "out of the box" or at list will have a patch or simple package to run (no ROM flashing, Terminal tweaking etc.)

I wanted the best card (performance-wise) that will be compatible.

The other option was the 7900GT but I understand that his performance is poorer…

I heard that the Sapphire X1950XT's fan is very loud so I'll purchase a Zalman VF900-Cu LED

I'm going to use two monitors.

For TV-Out im gonna use the Apple DVI-Video adapter. X1950XT should support it.

DVD/R/W DRIVE

ASUS DVDRW X18 DRW-1814BLT DUAL LAYER LIHGTSCRIBE SATA BLACK

CPU Cooling:

THERMALTAKE BIG TYPHOON or Cooler Master GeminII

The AMAZING Case:

ECA5000 Uber Chakra

Power Supply:

ENERMAX ELT500AWT LIBERTY 500W or Corsair CMPSU-520HXEU 520W

Sound Card:

I understand that the sound card wont give me a mic in or line-in so I think I'll buy an external device such as the Firewire 410.

OK folks what do you say?

Should I change anything? Is the Graphics card OK? MoBo approved? Hard drives OK?

Please suggest/comment freely am going to order it in very soon! :D

Yeah you have to get the P5K deluxe to get DDR2, the P5K3 is DDR3, hence the 3 at the end of the model number. DDR3 is about 3 times the cost of DDR2, for about a 10% at most performance difference. Unless you are going to drop about 600 bucks on some nice memory go with the DDR2 board. I have the Asus P5K deluxe wifi, and a quad coming. I can't wait. I have a 7800 gtx currently as well. But you can check my sig for my rig :( PS, quad core Q6600 won't need super fast memory, your FSB will tank before you mem will.

OK I Updated the Mobo to P5K-Deluxe instead of P5K3-Deluxe.

He wont support DDR3 though, Right?

Guys:(ChuckDSanders, BebopBlues)

why are you going for the 7600gt or the 7800 gtx?

Isnt the X1950XT 256mb better?

Does your cards support TV-out? (using the Apple DVI-VIDEO adapter, or other method)

X1950XT is working with the adapter... (according to ppl on the forum)

Oh and about the memory... (CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX DDR2 4GB (2GBX2) 800MHZ CL5 XMS DH)

I wanted super fast because I will upgrade my Q6600 in the future and I wanted to have the option of OC it well...

what do you say?

What do you say about this script? Is dummy-newbie proof?

I'm talking about the script asap18 created.

"I made a bash script that will fix all nonworking stuff except wifi drivers which can be downloaded from realtek's site."

Script is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?b0e9nhgfznd

Did any1 test it... agan i'll use the P5K Deluxe MoBo.

can any1 explain Step-by-step how should I run it?

or maybe show me a post that regards it?

I have/had similar items to the ones on your list.

Q6600 currently running stable @ 3.8Ghz.

However, I dunno if the P5k board works completely. I just got ANOTHER ONE because the Gigabyte board was a flub w/my Quad Core CPU.

I'll try to boot OS X tonight to see what's working and what's not...

I think it's: Wifi, Lan, Sound that need to be fixed.

You'll most likely find NTFS-3G+MacFuse too slow & CPU intensive for video editing work. It provides a solution to a problem, but sadly, not the best one at this stage.

I can't even watch DivX video off the Windows partition on this Mac Pro...

I'll be honest in saying that I have no idea what you guys are talking about... LOL

But I sure as heck have no issue cutting in Final Cut Studio 2 (Motion, Final Cut Pro, Compressor, etc.) on my rig.

It's all speedy, much faster than the Quad G5 I work on and my Geekbench compares to a real Mac Pro.

But you guys know more than me so I guess I just dunno how slow my system is. I have a very similar setup to him.

Sorry, was away with my girlfriend.. oh chicks... all the time I was with her I fantasized on my soon to come hackintosh!

:P

OK let's get busy:

Khid:

You bought the P5K Deluxe? the same as Im gonna buy?

Do you run it now?

Did you use asap18's script ? (if so I wold like to hear step-bystep how)

I cant wait to hear how it works: What VER of OSX do you run?, how the OC works, etc...

"Q6600 currently running stable @ 3.8Ghz."

Damn! that very fast - what kind of memory do you have?

You said in your sig you're waiting for the "G0" is it a newer ver of the Q6600?

Is it going to enable me a better way to OC and stable my Q6600?

About the slow performance of the Hard drives - I guess they ment that the NTFS-3G is too slow to edit with...

I guess you dont use NTFS to your FCP project files...

Azurael,japhex:

ntfs3g+fcp lol? Do you know the current speed of ntfs3g ?

You'll most likely find NTFS-3G+MacFuse too slow & CPU intensive for video editing work. It provides a solution to a problem, but sadly, not the best one at this stage.

I can't even watch DivX video off the Windows partition on this Mac Pro...

I wanted to do NTFS-3G because I wanted both OS's to be able to read/write on all partitions.. I guess I'll have to find a better solution... ;)

Kiko:

uugh, if your going to buy something that big, just get a mac pro, you will be much much happier

OK

Mac Pro 2.6 with upgrades (HDD+4Gig MEM+X1950) will cost ~ 4,750$

My configuration will cost ~2400$

*Those are the prices in Israel, Im sure Mac Pro is cheaper in the US.

Besides, my config will support the soon to arrive PENRYN Processor! and can be OCed!

badge:

i tested out asap's bash, works perfectly

Can you please please please tell me how you did it? or send me a link a relevant topic?

Or the best hit me with a Step-By-Step procedure?

Thanks you guys!

You bought the P5K Deluxe? the same as Im gonna buy?

Do you run it now?

Did you use asap18's script ? (if so I wold like to hear step-bystep how)

I cant wait to hear how it works: What VER of OSX do you run?, how the OC works, etc...

"Q6600 currently running stable @ 3.8Ghz."

Damn! that very fast - what kind of memory do you have?

You said in your sig you're waiting for the "G0" is it a newer ver of the Q6600?

Is it going to enable me a better way to OC and stable my Q6600?

About the slow performance of the Hard drives - I guess they ment that the NTFS-3G is too slow to edit with...

I guess you dont use NTFS to your FCP project files...

The first Asus board I bought was a P5K Deluxe. It worked with OS X, I didn't keep it that long. Now I've had to go back to P5K-E. There's a thread telling ya how to get it mostly up and running.

I will be using asap18's script. Big rep to him.

I am running OS X 10.4.9 with Semthex Kernel (if I remember right.) Ran perfect on DS3P, Hope it does the same on P5K-E. Also going to update to 10.4.10 after I get an extra 320gb HDD to copy the drives.

I have 4 Gigs of Ballistix DDR2-1066. They'll run up to 1200 on all four gigs. Tried and true. Just gotta get them back in after I finish playing.

I have purchased and installed a new Q6600 G0 Stepping CPU. It is definitely a new Revision requiring less power, higher thermal spec, and lower temperature output. Well worth the wait!

Indeed, the G0 Stepping has proven itself so far. Those with weeks similar to mines have managed stable 3.4-3.8Ghz OC's. One even stabilizing 4Ghz on air @ 1.6v (that's a lot of volts, though.).

Khid:

The first Asus board I bought was a P5K Deluxe. It worked with OS X, I didn't keep it that long. Now I've had to go back to P5K-E. There's a thread telling ya how to get it mostly up and running.

Why didn't you keep it? and why moving to the P5k-E? Should I Buy P5K-E? will it work better with OSX?

Actually what's the diffrence between them?

I will be using asap18's script. Big rep to him.

I am running OS X 10.4.9 with Semthex Kernel (if I remember right.) Ran perfect on DS3P, Hope it does the same on P5K-E. Also going to update to 10.4.10 after I get an extra 320gb HDD to copy the drives.

I heard OSX 10.4.9 is problematic, and has bugs is that correct?

and when I asked what kind - I ment is it JaS or other?

I have 4 Gigs of Ballistix DDR2-1066. They'll run up to 1200 on all four gigs. Tried and true. Just gotta get them back in after I finish playing.

Do you think that the memory I'll buy will give me a the option to OC it good? how much can I reach do you reckon?

CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX DDR2 4GB (2GBX2) 800MHZ CL5 XMS DH

It's important for me to have 2 modules of 2 gigs for future upgrades (to 8 gigs)

Should I buy something else?

I dont want to go wild with the OC - 3-3.2Ghz is enough I guess (I want it to be stable..)

I have purchased and installed a new Q6600 G0 Stepping CPU. It is definitely a new Revision requiring less power, higher thermal spec, and lower temperature output. Well worth the wait!

Indeed, the G0 Stepping has proven itself so far. Those with weeks similar to mines have managed stable 3.4-3.8Ghz OC's. One even stabilizing 4Ghz on air @ 1.6v (that's a lot of volts, though.).

Great when I'll purchase I'll ask for this Stepping!

You mentioned on your sig that you have Sapphire Radeon X1950XT 512mb (I wanted to purchase the 256mb)

Did you use Jcool Method?

is it working 100%, Dual monitors?

Is the cooler noisy?

did you try TV-out?

Oh, BTW, do you use only hackintosh on your system or do you use Windows as well?

Edited by ArkaPro

Ok, i'll be watching this topic also :D

i'm on the verge of creating a similar machine, to do similar stuff, this is what i've gathered yet:

MOBO ASUS P5K-E WIFI-AP INTEL P35 SK775

CPU INTEL CORE2 QUAD CORE Q6600 BOX G0 STEPPING

RAM CORSAIR PC6400 4GB XMS2 DHX TWINX (2X2GB) DDR2 [TWIN2X4096]

GRAPHICS MSI X1950XTX 512MB

COOLER Scythe Ninja Plus

VENTS NOCTUA NF-S12

VENTS NOCTUA NF-S12

VENTS NOCTUA NF-S12

CHASSIS LIAN LI PC-V1200A PLUS II SILVER

FONTE CORSAIR HX-620W MODULAR

DISK SAMSUNG 400GB 7200 RPM S-ATA2 16MB

COOLER GR  ARCTIC COOLING ACCELERO S1

not sure about the x1950xtx.. or the x1950xt

Me too:

MOBO GA-P35-DS3P

CPU Q6600 (G0)

RAM 4 X 1GB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 4-4-4-12

GRAPHICS XFX 7900GT

HARD DRIVE 500GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.11

CPU COOLER TUNIQ TOWER 120

CHASSIS COOLERMASTER CM STACKER

PSU CORSAIR HX-520W MODULAR

elastic:

Me:

---------------------------------

Ok, i'll be watching this topic also :)

Great!

i'm on the verge of creating a similar machine, to do similar stuff, this is what i've gathered yet:

Do you plan to run windows as well?

If so how would you recomend using the HDDs?

MOBO ASUS P5K-E WIFI-AP INTEL P35 SK775

I plan to purchse the Deluxe version. do you know whats the diffrence between P5K-E to P5K Deluxe?

CPU INTEL CORE2 QUAD CORE Q6600 BOX G0 STEPPING

The store Im buying it from is making trouble with the G0 :( Is it that hard to get it?

RAM CORSAIR PC6400 4GB XMS2 DHX TWINX (2X2GB) DDR2 [TWIN2X4096]

Is it the same Ram as I want to buy? if so Im not sure you'll be able to OC it to more than 3.3Ghz (so I've heard)

Correct me if Im wrong.

GRAPHICS MSI X1950XTX 512MB

Are you shure its gonna run perfectly with Jcool's method? I heard that it has Issues (running fan always at 100%)

COOLER Scythe Ninja Plus

Ya baby, it's better than my Big Typhoon, be shure to check if it fits to your case.

FONTE CORSAIR HX-620W MODULAR

I'm gonna get the 520W ver, I think its can cope with Q6600, X1950XT and 4 HDDs - Correct me if I'm wrong!?

DISK SAMSUNG 400GB 7200 RPM S-ATA2 16MB

If you want to have this mechine for Video editing dont you want to get more HDDs? its so Cheap now days!

COOLER GR ARCTIC COOLING ACCELERO S1

Nice, Passive? - So I guess you wont have 100% fan Issues I mentioned... ;)

not sure about the x1950xtx.. or the x1950xt

Try to ask if some1 has the XTX, I chatted to guy with XTX but he didnt try Dual monitors nor TV-out...

I actually want to make a similar system too..

I allready know:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (want to overclock to 3.5Ghz, is it possible with 800Mhz RAM??)

2 or 4 GB of RAM (probably Corsair ones..)

Definately i go for the Intel Battle Axe 2 motherboard, because i heard that it's one of the most stable and compatible MoBo's for OS x86..and mostly : Intel chipset+intel processor = best..

nVidia GeForce 7600GT XFX or 7900GT (<--- is the price difference of about 100 euro worth it?)

The rest i got to think about it.. but i still got a question about harddrives:

Are 2 harddrives of 250GB really much faster in Raid0 then one harddrive of 500GB??

How much can be this difference in speed??

And is it possible to make 4 primary (3 primary+1 extended) partitions when you got a Raid0 configuration? Because i want to run a tri-boot of OS x86, Windows and Linux...

Help is appreciated, i'm 14 years old :)

I actually want to make a similar system too..

I allready know:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (want to overclock to 3.5Ghz, is it possible with 800Mhz RAM??)

2 or 4 GB of RAM (probably Corsair ones..)

Definately i go for the Intel Battle Axe 2 motherboard, because i heard that it's one of the most stable and compatible MoBo's for OS x86..and mostly : Intel chipset+intel processor = best..

nVidia GeForce 7600GT XFX or 7900GT (<--- is the price difference of about 100 euro worth it?)

The rest i got to think about it.. but i still got a question about harddrives:

Are 2 harddrives of 250GB really much faster in Raid0 then one harddrive of 500GB??

How much can be this difference in speed??

And is it possible to make 4 primary (3 primary+1 extended) partitions when you got a Raid0 configuration? Because i want to run a tri-boot of OS x86, Windows and Linux...

Help is appreciated, i'm 14 years old :hysterical:

What exactly do want to use your OSX86 machine for? Raid may make sense on some systems and not on others.

What exactly do want to use your OSX86 machine for? Raid may make sense on some systems and not on others.
I will use OS x86 its own for: Adobe designer software (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Premiere,Fireworks...), Final Cut Studio 2 Pro**NOTE that my video editing is very amateur, and NOTHING professional, i am just starting**...

In Windows i will use: all rest of small software that doesn't run on OS x86, my games and network experimenting like uploading files to my own server at home to host PHP files etc... I will also experiment in windows with batch files, JavaScript hacks on IE...

And finally in Linux i will use: the nice Beryl interface, aircrack-ng, other *ethical* hacking tools...

What about speed gaining in Raid0? And when is it best to use it? And what about the question: Can you make and let work 4 primary(3 primary + 1 extended) partitions in Raid0?

It will be Like this then:

Primary #1 : NTFS | WinXP/Vista
Primary #2 : HFS+ | OS x86
Primary #3 : EXT3 | Ubuntu Linux
Extended #4 :  
					- Linux SWAP Partition of 2GB
					- A good big FAT32 Partition for Data Storage

So will this work on Raid0 if it's good for it?

Finally question again: is 800Mhz DDR2 enough to overclock a Q6600 to 3.5Ghz?

Thank you! :hysterical:

• 9 months later...

I've set up a hackintosh using Final Cut Studio 2 and a q666 processor ocerclocked to 3.4ghz. If I use all 4 cores the system crashes. If I only use 2 cores cpus=2 at darwin the system works great. Any ideas on what makes the system crash when using 4 cores of a Q666