atheros 5006EG WORKING!

Chrislitkei

95 posts in this topic

1) download airport extreme update 04-2007 from apples website.

2) installer will say no supported hardware, cant install.

3) manually extract io80211.kext and new included frameworks from airport update.

4) replace io80211.kext in /system/library/extensions

5) insert provided framworks (directory name is - headers)into /system/library/frameworks/kernel.framework/versions/A/

6) run terminal, type sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /S*/L*/E*/

chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*/

7) open disk utility and repair disk permissions

8) restart and enjoy working WIFI!!!

**optional**

you may have to insert your Device ID into io80211.kext/atheros.kext

LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS FOR ALL OF YOU?

Worked perfectly on my Toshiba P205-S6327 laptop with Atheros AR5006X wireless. Thank You very much. If you know how to make an installer, others would be forever in your debt (or for a while anyway), the extraction and installation required me to use Pacifist, but the process could be greatly simplified.

There's a folder called Headers in the A folder of the upgrader, put this Headers folder from the upgrader in the A folder of your existing system folder found at:

/system/library/frameworks/kernel.framework/versions/A/

The upgrader also has a system folder that follows the same path as above, all you want is that one Headers folder. Use Pacifist or Kext Helper to install the kext.

hey iulius, this sounds good... I am in the process of trying to tweak my gigabyte WGI10GT which uses an atheros 5005gs chip. (no one has got this particular card working so far)

But like the other two posters, I see NO absolutely no "HEADERS" folder in the updater package, using Pacifist as the extract tool.

Could you please clarify, if this folder could be hidden elsewhere, or is visible only after installing the updated io80211.kext???

musch appreciated...

regards,

ninetto

Open the AirPortExtremeUpdate2007004.dmg

Drag the AirPortExtremeUpdate2007004.pkg into Pacifist

In Pacifist:

Open the folder called System

Open folder called Library, this folder contains two folders: Extensions and Frameworks

Open the folder called Frameworks

Open the folder called Kernal.frameworks

Open the folder called Versions

Open the folder called A

Extract the Headers folder to desktop.

Drag the headers folder to YOUR system's A folder.

Open the AirPortExtremeUpdate2007004.dmg

Drag the AirPortExtremeUpdate2007004.pkg into Pacifist

In Pacifist:

Open the folder called System

Open folder called Library, this folder contains two folders: Extensions and Frameworks

Open the folder called Frameworks

Open the folder called Kernal.frameworks

Open the folder called Versions

Open the folder called A

Extract the Headers folder to desktop.

Drag the headers folder to YOUR system's A folder.

OK this is clear enough, and is what I expected and tried....EXCEPT for some friggin' reason there are NOT two folders in the update package!!! Under /system/library I see ONLY the EXTENSIONS folder not the FRAMEWORKS... can someone confirm this? Or is there some more recent version of Pacifist which allows deeper digging than the version I am using (version 2.0)????

regards,

ninetto

P.S. maybe someone could just post the FRAMEWORKS folder to simplify the detective work?

Apparently the file upload is broken after someone hacked the site.

OK...Let's try this:

Kext and Headers

This has the pre-extracted kext and header folder, I also included Kext Helper to install the kext, just drag the kext package into the Kext Helper window (NOTE: if you are not using a password, in the password field type any character, like a period, to activate the easy install button, then delete the character).

FANTASTIC ! ! :rolleyes:

Thanks MUCH to Chrislitkei and sej111 ! Amazing, as no one up until now had reported my pci-e card, the GIGABYTE WI01-GT (with AR 5006eg chip) as working.

Well mine does now, with no extra work at all, I just followed your instructions. My device id, etc were instantly recognized properly, as "AIRPORT EXTREME (0x168c, 0xE913)

I only might note that I have not yet checked WEP or WPA encryptation, which I do not need since my router uses a MAC-filter-table to keep out unwanted guests.

UPDATE: WEP/WPA works!

The speed and reach of the connection are really nice!

This no-name notebook is now an almost perfect super-speed darling.

hats off 2 ya and

regards,

ninetto

p.s. I will add a link on the HARDWARE section as I think this one might help out a lot of people...

Still unable to get my Atheros AR5007EG (AR5BXB63 chipset) to work.

This is output at dmesg after reboot:-

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully

Does anybody know what this error mean? Thank you. :hysterical:

I'm not an expert but it may be OE (operator error). If this doesn't work with 5007 chips, wait for a fix.

Instructions for newbies:

Install the kext using Kext Helper.

drag the Headers folder to your A folder.

Go to utilities, select :"Terminal"

Type sudo -s

translation: (sudo[space]-s) then hit enter

Enter your password or just hit enter if you are not using a password

Copy then paste the following lines, using the arrow keys to navigate;

Copy:

Paste the above line to terminal, press enter.

Copy:

chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*/

Paste the above line to terminal, press enter

close terminal

Restart, FIX PERMISSIONS (using Disk Utility), go to preferences, go to network, hope you see a new network device has been found.

Good luck

My router is using standard 64bit WEP and the 5006 wireless works just fine in OS X mode.

Even more important to me: My windows server is running a PC MacLan Appletalk sub-server so my Macs and PCs share printers and hard drives. Non-airport devices don't recognize Appletalk. This fix lets me use ALL Appletalk resources. Now my Macs and Windows machines play together perfectly.

FANTASTIC ! ! :)

Thanks MUCH to Chrislitkei and sej111 ! Amazing, as no one up until now had reported my pci-e card, the GIGABYTE WI01-GT (with AR 5006eg chip) as working.

Well mine does now, with no extra work at all, I just followed your instructions. My device id, etc were instantly recognized properly, as "AIRPORT EXTREME (0x168c, 0xE913)

I only might note that I have not yet checked WEP or WPA encryptation, which I do not need since my router uses a MAC-filter-table to keep out unwanted guests.

The speed and reach of the connection are really nice!

This no-name notebook is now an almost perfect super-speed darling.

hats off 2 ya and

regards,

ninetto

p.s. I will add a link on the HARDWARE section as I think this one might help out a lot of people...

Hey ninetto,

Could you be so kind and upload the kext and frameworks on some rapidshare or megaupload or something that doesnt require any software to install in order to download the file?

Cheers,

Mik

sej111 already post the file (framework & kext). You can download it using safari. The page mention that you have to download it using internet explorer. I just refresh the page, and after that I can see download button to download the file. Good luck! :)

sej111 already post the file (framework & kext). You can download it using safari. The page mention that you have to download it using internet explorer. I just refresh the page, and after that I can see download button to download the file. Good luck! :)

The way you described is not working for me.

Hi,

Well, it is not going too well...

I am running 10.4.8 Jas sse2/sse3 on a dell e1405 laptop with an Atheros 5006x card. I applied the directions suggested in your post, no go. I then edited the Info.plist file for the "AirportAtheros.kext" to explicitly include the pci device ID for my card

entry line: <string>pci168c,1b</string>

Still after changing permissions and ownership and reboot, ifconfig shows the card is not recognized. While it is tempting for me to think I did everything right and the airport extreme update applied just wont recongnize my card, the results of others suggest the 5006X can be recognized...so i am doing something wrong here :D ??

One thing I noticed and perhaps it is just a traditional usage issue, but the names of the kext directories I navigated to were not as reported in the original post, i.e. no "io80211.kext" exists in the sys/lib/ext directory, its called IO80211family.kext, and the relevant kext for the card is called "AirPortAtheros.kext", in the plugins directory of the IO80211family kext. Maybe I found the wrong kext??

Also, I did put the headers folder into sys/lib/framework.... location as directed.

I scanned around to try and figure this out, but havent had much luck..in the meantime I will try and do the install again...and work on sound :D

Thanks for any suggestions!

DG

1) download airport extreme update 04-2007 from apples website.

2) installer will say no supported hardware, cant install.

3) manually extract io80211.kext and new included frameworks from airport update.

4) replace io80211.kext in /system/library/extensions

5) insert provided framworks (directory name is - headers)into /system/library/frameworks/kernel.framework/versions/A/

6) run terminal, type sudo -s

chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*/

7) open disk utility and repair disk permissions

8) restart and enjoy working WIFI!!!

**optional**

you may have to insert your Device ID into io80211.kext/atheros.kext

LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS FOR ALL OF YOU?