atheros 5006EG WORKING!

Chrislitkei

95 posts in this topic

Hmmmm .....

No go on my D620 with this instrutions. I've got the Gigabyte Card with the 5006EG chipset.

Any Idea ?

Best regards

McBlack

No go for me either. My laptop: Toshiba Satellite P100.

Please Toshiba, allow us to use anything other than Windows. :blowup:

Cheers,

Mik

Still unable to get my Atheros AR5007EG (AR5BXB63 chipset) to work.

This is output at dmesg after reboot:-

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully

Does anybody know what this error mean? Thank you. :)

I have a AR5006X pci-e on 10.4.9 (Acer 3680)

I also get that error on the same line of '480', but not only that but this kext update/header install seems to have messed up my UI/permissions. After reboot I no longer was logged into my usual desktop. It became the OSX default one instead. And when I try to create folders on the desktop i get permission errors and the whole UI crashes and reloads (dock/apple bar disappears and then reappears) and changes to the dock are not saved.

I tried running in -x. and checked out -v too and it didn't seem like anything else was wrong. I fixed the permissions as noted in this thread. Any ideas as to what i could try to do short of reinstalling OSX?

[EDIT NOTE] I did a clean install of the uphuck 10.4.9 system and this fix DID NOT work due to the badly damaged network files in the uphuck installer.

I have a couple of thoughts that may or may not help. I had to reload system 10.4.8 using the Jas universal installer because the 10.4.9 Uphuck installer had serious networking problems. If you're running an Uphuck 10.4.9 system, this could easily be your total problem.

A couple of days ago I decided to try a different kernal to improve laptop power management and ended up screwing up my system, so I had to reinstall 10.4.8.

The first time I reloaded, the wireless worked, but it wouldn't automatically connect, I had to select a network every time I booted the computer. Prior to this reload, it had connected automatically.

I remembered I had installed the AirPortExtremeUpdate2007 002 into the first install, BEFORE I found the the 2007 004 kext and header folder fix. When I tried to install this upgrade AFTER installing the 2007 004 fix, the installer wouldn't allow installation. Since I had just reinstalled the system anyway, I erased and reinstalled the system again, this time I installed the 2007 002 update before the 2007 004 fix and the wireless worked perfectly again.

What I'm getting at is: The 2007 002 update may resolve other issues also. It may be possible to use Pacifist to force install the earlier update (you might need to redo the 2007 004 fix afterward).

It's also possible that if you remove the kext and headers folder you installed during the 2007 004 fix, the 2007 002 installer will work for you, but doing it this way might also make matters worse.

If you've been experimenting a lot, it might be wise to just start over with a clean system install, your previous fiddling may be what's now biting you in the butt. for what it's worth this is what works for my Toshiba P205-S6237:

I recommend the instructions at: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=vista+boot

if you're dual booting vista (even if you're not).

I Loaded 10.4.8 using these settings:

Printer drivers

Intel CPU

GMA950

10.4.5 login

Boot up, fixed permissions, installed the ethernet driver at:

http://www.necnet.de/krass.man/Installers/...0Installer.html

(I had to force the the ethernet to enable by manually addressing, after it started working I had no problem switching to DHCP and all was well.)

NOTE: Get your ethernet working before your wireless, I think if your wireless is at en0 instead of en1, it won't work...I haven't done it the other way around but I suspect it's a really bad idea.

installed the 2007 002 update, fixed permissions, installed the 2007 004 wireless fix, fixed permissions, rebooted.

Then I booted the 10.4.9 uphuck installer, and without erasing the previous install, I used these settings:

DO NOT SELECT Intel CPU or any kernal

DO SELECT:

Drivers:

GMA900 [edit] I went to play a DVD and it was choppy, I loaded this driver and it works properly.

Azalia audio

Power Management Bundle

Core Duo Temp

(I also threw in a few apps, the VLC media player is excellent)

Everything works but waking from sleep (I set sleep to never) and the the built-in camera.

I hope this helps someone.

I have a AR5006X pci-e on 10.4.9 (Acer 3680)

I also get that error on the same line of '480', but not only that but this kext update/header install seems to have messed up my UI/permissions. After reboot I no longer was logged into my usual desktop. It became the OSX default one instead. And when I try to create folders on the desktop i get permission errors and the whole UI crashes and reloads (dock/apple bar disappears and then reappears) and changes to the dock are not saved.

I tried running in -x. and checked out -v too and it didn't seem like anything else was wrong. I fixed the permissions as noted in this thread. Any ideas as to what i could try to do short of reinstalling OSX?

If you do backup your framework (Headers) and IO80211Family.kext folder, you should able to revert to earlier state. You can accomplished this in single mode (-s), or boot with your OSX installation DVD.

If you don't have backup, I'm afraid you have to reinstall. Just try reinstall on top of your existing OSX without erasing it. Good luck. :)

Still unable to get my Atheros AR5007EG (AR5BXB63 chipset) to work.

This is output at dmesg after reboot:-

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully

Does anybody know what this error mean? Thank you. :)

Hi kizwan,

Did you allready solve this problem?

I recently got my ar5006x recognised by osx in the system profiler- Airport Extreme (0x168c, 0x425) using this method but it us just showing up as airport being off... Whenever i try to open network preferences it just crashes and clicking on the cone in the menu bar just gives me a airport not configured message. What do i do?

yeah i did use the uphuck installer... i tried a fresh install without any wireless patches except this time i tried using the ethernet patch for my R8139 and i guess it has nothing to do with the wireless but totally with the uphuck release... this sucks really bad because i couldnt get the Jas 10.4.8 release to boot because im using a serial ata HD... maybe i could do a VM ware install and then apply the nessisary ati/via sata patch what do you think?

i couldnt get the Jas 10.4.8 release to boot because im using a serial ata HD

Are you saying the system installed then wouldn't boot? If so, the problem could be your partition isn't set to active. I've never had a problem with SATA drives and Jas 10.4.8 Universal installer.

I take that back, I once loaded Jas 10.4.8 on a 320GB Western Digital drive and the system refused to boot OSX from the drive. I put in a 320GB Seagate and it booted perfectly. Both were new drives and I've used Western Digital drives before so I was a bit mystified.

sorry about that last post i was in a hurry and left it a bit confusing... Upon booting the Jas 10.4.8 DVD i couldnt see any of my hard drives... i have an ati chipset (x200) that isnt very well supported and a ton of peoplehave problems with it but anyways back to my problems- they are gone :)!!!!! I was fiddleing with the network setup wizard and it suddenly enabled the network preferences pane and everything works just awesome- I have sound, Ethernet, WiFi, Can set resolutions(as good as it gets no ci qe for me) in the preferences pane, battery is showing in the menu bar, and both of my T2060's cores are recognised! I have never been happier....

here goes, I'll try to attach the files from sej111 as an upload.

good luck...

I'm quoting this because I've reported many successes using this with Atheros 5006EG. All you have to do is use the enclosed installer and paste the Kext into it. No need to do a kext edit and import vendor_id or anything

I think i have tried pretty much every combination of io80211family.kexts, OSX versions (jas 10.4.6, 10.4.8, uphuck 1.3) and i have also placed the headers into the /A folder but i still get either :488 :480 or cannot load dependencies, when intalling the headers, will it want to over write anything? or do they need to be complied? there doesnt seem to be much information as regards to this step.

I have an acer aspire 9420, and my card is a linksys wpc55ag pcmcia which has the atheros chipset in however im not aware what type (5006etc)

My card is picked up at boot

Any help would be much appreciated, or if anyone has anymore information :D

The only thing I can imagine you're doing wrong is putting the contents of the Headers folder in the A folder. If so, you need to put the whole Headers folder in the A folder. You'll be asked to authenticate and you must do so.

Another possibility is you're trying to install in the A folder of the Kerberos.framework instead of the kernel.framework. They are right next to each other, both have a Versions and an A folder, but only the kernel.framework path is correct.

/system/library/frameworks/kernel.framework/versions/A/

I have put all the contents into the kernel.framework folder, will i have to chmod/perm repair at all? or should it ask to overwrite anything at all? I'll do a fresh install of Jas 10.4.8, get my cardbus slot working and use your kexts ill get the info from kextload -vt

Before the Headers folder is installed, the only folder in the A folder is a folder called Resources. You drag Headers into the A folder, authenticate, then install the kext, then enter the appropriate lines using terminal, restart, fix permissions and you're all set.

I have tried your method but i get this error

kernel extension /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext/contents/plugins/airportatheros.kext has problems:
Missing dependencies:
{
   "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily" = 
       "A valid compatible version of this dependency cannot be found"
}
Warnings:
{
   "Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleVersion does not match executable's MODULE_VERSION" = true
}

I suggest you try to find the JAS 10.4.8 Universal Installer somewhere. The Uphuck 10.4.9 version I have has damaged networking code and this fix doesn't work on that system. What you might try is installing the current airport updates using Pacifist to see if this fix is dependant on a previous Airport update.

• 2 weeks later...

ok i decided to put leave mac for a while and give it a break before i lose all my hair, but ive come back to it and what i have found that may be causing the problem is that the io80211family that i have been using requires the 2.0 version of the iopcifamily.kext, however i cannot use that version as it will not let my pcmcia slot to work, so i guess what i have to do is find an older version of io80211family.kext that has the airportatheros.kext with a dependancy of 1.8 or lower.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've used the Easy-Installer and everything worked fine.

But when I reboot I get

configd[54]: No Airport Driver found.

In the logs.

I use a Gigabyte mini-pciE Card (Atheros 5006EG) on a fresh installed JaS 10.4.8 without any modifications (just made the internal NIC working).

System ; Dell D620

Any ideas ?

THX in advance and best regards

McBlack