Hacking Leopard GUI

SCARECR0W

225 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I was just thinking that when you drag a whichever folder in the dock, it just loses its customization (if you have changed the icon) and just shows the content of the folder itself (if it is a pdf, an excel or whatever)

I find this pretty annoying as at the moment it seems impossible to have YOUR own customized icon in the dock which I find is nice and useful ... any of you guys find it annoying also and has found/tried any workaround for this?

That would be great!

Thanks!

Hi guys, I was just thinking that when you drag a whichever folder in the dock, it just loses its customization (if you have changed the icon) and just shows the content of the folder itself (if it is a pdf, an excel or whatever)

I find this pretty annoying as at the moment it seems impossible to have YOUR own customized icon in the dock which I find is nice and useful ... any of you guys find it annoying also and has found/tried any workaround for this?

That would be great!

Thanks!

it's called stacks. it's a feature.

I'm lost on how you got the dock to a more solid color than the transparent glass. Not that I want it to be a solid, but I would like a more defined darker look, or a completely transparent one. Any tips?

I'm lost on how you got the dock to a more solid color than the transparent glass. Not that I want it to be a solid, but I would like a more defined darker look, or a completely transparent one. Any tips?

Please read the previous two pages.

Guest Ramm

You could have just answered him/her, you know ;)

Well, Ayanami, in the Dock's "scurve.png" file, there is an amount of transparency. You can take this file into Photoshop or something of the like, and either start it over and make it more opaque, or make it more transparent. Remember, transparency also determines the amount of reflection:

100% opacity = no reflection

0% opacity = super-mirror-style reflection (but the dock will essentially be nothing but icons)

@ 5th Agent:

I have been reading them....Maybe I skipped over a post or two. Sorry =(

@ Ramm:

Thanks. Now I have to go get Photoshop again....I backed up the folder my .dmg was for CS3, but there was nothing in it. I feel reeeeeeeal smart for doing that.

EDIT:

Actually...let me add to this, I was using one of the "Dock Skins" (I think it was yours, Ramm), that had the darker dock background. I understood what the discussion so far had been about, but when I re-booted, only the indicator lights had changed (and not that much). It's starting to look a bit darker to me now, and I don't think it helps that the background behind it is pure white. I'll fool around with it a bit more once I get Photoshop back on here.

Hey Island, here's one.

Create an Alias of whatever folder you want, and drag the Alias folder to the dock. Works just like Tiger, and you can keep the folders with the icons on them (I know some people kinda like the new folders.)

Quick Edit:

Make sure you rename your Alias. Forgot to do that with mine =D

You could have just answered him/her, you know :)

Of course. But, I'm a lazy machead. Not all of us are as motivated as the Woz.

@ 5th Agent:

I have been reading them....Maybe I skipped over a post or two. Sorry =(

el oh el. No biggie. The meat of the thread for this one is all on page 1. The process and whatnot.

I don't mean to be rude... :D

Meh....no problem.

I just started getting used to 10.4, and now I'm reading about editing system files of 10.5....Still learning.

I still miss Windows 98. Well, really what I miss is Windows 3.1, but I really miss Windows 98. I ran that for years....

Guest Ramm

That's my old one :P

I made a newer one, I think it looks much better. I can post the files if you want.

Picture2-2.png

Sure, all of the files are inside the Dock.app which can be found at:

System>Library>CoreServices>Dock

Select the Dock app, and show package contents.

Inside the Content>Resources directory are all of the files for the Dock.

The one you want is called "indicator.png"

The ones for the Dock background are "scurve.png" and "frontline.png"

Hope that helps.

hmm... i don't have the indicator.png??

Here they are:

Dock.zip

great, you're the best :unsure:

Hey Island, here's one.

Create an Alias of whatever folder you want, and drag the Alias folder to the dock. Works just like Tiger, and you can keep the folders with the icons on them (I know some people kinda like the new folders.)

Quick Edit:

Make sure you rename your Alias. Forgot to do that with mine =D

Thanks Ayanami, will give it a try soon and let you know!.... am I really the only one that does not like stacks??

Thanks Ayanami, will give it a try soon and let you know!.... am I really the only one that does not like stacks??

Meh.......I don't mind Stacks, but they did a horrible job at giving you options for them. Wait, I don't really think they gave ANY options for Stacks. They should at least have an On/Off function, a View Option, and the ability to pick your own Icon. Maybe if anyone from Apple's Dev. team is reading this....?