Hacking Leopard GUI

SCARECR0W

225 posts in this topic

Thanks! Yeah. that was one of my biggest gripes actually.

I left some transparency in this one, but I was using one without transparency, so the icon reflections did not show - which is nice too. Just can't make up my mind which way I prefer.

Only bummer is that you cannot change the shape of the dock, it is stuck as a trapezoid or whatever. I've search through all of the plists, code, etc.. and cannot find it. It must be hardcoded that way, which is a bummer as you wont be able to change the shape nor will you be able to completely remove the background and have a 100% clear dock.

I'm working on the Stacks stuff now - see what can be done with it.

Sure, all of the files are inside the Dock.app which can be found at:

System>Library>CoreServices>Dock

Select the Dock app, and show package contents.

Inside the Content>Resources directory are all of the files for the Dock.

The one you want is called "indicator.png"

The ones for the Dock background are "scurve.png" and "frontline.png"

Hope that helps.

Actually, you can do what I did.. delete the file you want to change from the terminal (sudo rm -rf and then drag the file to be deleted to the terminal window and it should autocomplete the path for you)- then drag the new file into its place in the originals spot in the resources folder which will ask you to authenticate. Then open activity viewer and find the dock process and force quit it.. the dock should quit and then immediately open back up with your changes displayed.

If you try to just move the file from its spot to the trash, it doesn't seem to "take" very well... thats why I outlined the method above - it seems the fastest easiest way and doesn't require loggin out and back in a thousand times.

I stress that you should have a copy of the original files before attempting any of this... and of course, the basic warning - you are altering core system files, so be careful. (there is not much danger in this unless you really muck something up but still be careful)

DsruioN - I will try and put something together once I figure out how to make them into a user-installable skin - right now it's just raw files being put into the resources folder as described above. Eventually I'd like to make a little installer app that allows you to select from a variety of dock styles and then puts the files where they need to go and restarts the dock.

Open up the terminal.app

Type "sudo rm -rf " in the terminal window (be VERY careful here, if you mis-type an extra "/" at the end you will literally zero out your harddrive) - again, that is sudo[space]rm[space]-rf[space]

With that typed in, drag the file you want to be deleted onto the terminal window you just typed in. This will autocomplete the path to the file that you are trying to delete into the terminal window just after the sudo rm -rf part from above. Hit return.

You will be asked for your password and possibly given the standard warning about sudo commands.

Then thats it.. the file should be deleted. Now just drop your new revised graphic into the resources folder which should ask you for your password again... once that is done open up the Activity Monitor application. Select "dock" which should be one of the running processes. Then click the red stop sign button. Then click "Force Quit".

Voilà, you're new dock should now be visible.

Open up the terminal.app

Type "sudo rm -rf " in the terminal window (be VERY careful here, if you mis-type an extra "/" at the end you will literally zero out your harddrive) - again, that is sudo[space]rm[space]-rf[space]

With that typed in, drag the file you want to be deleted onto the terminal window you just typed in. This will autocomplete the path to the file that you are trying to delete into the terminal window just after the sudo rm -rf part from above. Hit return.

You will be asked for your password and possibly given the standard warning about sudo commands.

Then thats it.. the file should be deleted. Now just drop your new revised graphic into the resources folder which should ask you for your password again... once that is done open up the Activity Monitor application. Select "dock" which should be one of the running processes. Then click the red stop sign button. Then click "Force Quit".

Voilà, you're new dock should now be visible.

It keeps saying this after I enter my password :

'rm: illegal option -- /

usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...

unlink file

What gives??? :boxing: