What would the perfect Mac site be like?

11 posts in this topic

Although I started a thread here for you to tell us what your favorite Mac sites are, I'm very curious about what you think a site should have. Of these, what do you like best? What else do you like? Are some of the unimportant to you? What really bugs you?

Website Characteristics

*Digg-like capability to submit news and rate it

*Headlined stories with a paragraph or two about each item

*Editorials

*Reviews

*How-To Guides

*A good forum

*A smooth interface and look/feel

*Blog style (TUAW)

*News site style (CNet)

*Anything else?

Please let us know what you look for in a site, since your suggestions will help give us an idea about how to move on in the future!

I'd go mostly with How-To Guides and a good forum. It is the person to person quality that makes this site what it is so far. Right now, the How-To thing needs to be and is pretty interactive, but once the dust starts to settle and there is not a new Apple release every 2 or 3 weeks, that will become less important. Then it will be all about the forums where a user can share their knowledge and experiences to help other users solve their problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm stuck with those sites for mac users which only speak about how good is the mac, and such pretty designs they make.

What I really like from a site are "how-to articles", written by proffesionals: design, video, audio, net. Most of the programmers work with PC-Windows or PC-Linux. It's very hard to find advanced net administration guides written for Mac OS X.

My favorite Mac site is MacAddict which I like almost entirely for their forum. The site is visited by keyboard-wielding ubergeeks and novices alike, and it's a great place to discuss or troubleshoot anything Apple, and, in general, people over there seem refreshingly knowledgeable. I don't know how to make that into a suggestion though. Almost everybody here is a Mac novice, which isn't surprising considering how they came to be Mac users *cough* bittorrent *cough*. Naturally, this forum's collective Mac knowledge will strengthen with time. All I can say is keep up the good work :poster_oops:

As a PC/Intel nerd for over 20+ years, and never had liked the MAC, for cost, limited applications, and the other 'negatives' (which seemed so in the beginning), and now in the last few months having had the opportunity to touch, feel, and play with the OSX86 version, I have become addicted to the MAC.

Why? Simply, because it has matured, become effective, exciting and I feel, it's finally it's time.

So, with that stated, let me say that this medium/forum is very helpful, and as a novice Mac user, it's ok for me to have growing pains, as well as await the 'experts' in the Mac field to make this place the best on the web, and to be known as the beginning of the change that took place in 2006, the change in the entire industry, to make the Mac the defacto standard in the computing business.

It will just be a matter of time (hopefully very very fast and soon) that Steve Jobs allows the OSX86 to run on any X86 hardware platform (not just locked into their own hardware), and when that day happens, it will be remembered as the shift in the industry that changed the face of computing forever.

With that said, I hope that this OSX86 Project forum becomes the core beginning of it all also.

Keep up the great work!

Hey Mashugly, I think your site is in great shape, but I like your attitude towards always trying to be better.

I think ArsTechnica still should be some kind of a model for this site (it is a great place for PC and Mac people to come together too). Like I said before, I think you should offer OSx86Project hats and shirts just like ArsTechnica does. I want one or both.

I also think you could use some more writers (but they have to be very good) for the front page news items. You have the opportunity to lock-in this sites position as "the" new source for what should be the fastest growing segment of PC market over the next five years.

I guess, you really need to set some goals for where you what this site to be in year and three.

Edited by bofors

Tutorials for noobs such as myself. A more organized site. For instance, theres so many topics not labeled correctly in the drivers section.

Also, it would be nice to have a organized page where only mods and admins put info. Such as an updated driver that you can instantly download, with a tutorial on how to install. Also what computer models it will work on, like some noobs don't know how to find the exact name of the hardware they have, this would certainly help me.

:withstupid:

• 1 month later...