Leopard BETA as main OS

Supersonic

47 posts in this topic

Oh, and there's one thing i still don't understand, when i installed leopard , i thought that all my appz/files will be deleted, but it didn't happen ( which is cool :D ) . Do you know what might be the reason for this ?

You probably did an upgrade by accident.

I have 2 backups, one of tiger from superduper and time machine. talk about a waste of space.

You should use rsyncx (it's free) next time to back up your entire drive to an external. You have the option to make an exact bootable copy and boot of the external to make sure everything works fine before you start tinkering with your main OS. The copy can be updated and so forth.

Its my main OS right now.. and its a pain in the ass. Mail freezes, Toast 8 won't work worth a :thumbsup_anim: .. parallels starts when it wants to. I'm going to go back to 10.4 tonight.. I'm just going to do a fresh install..

You probably did an upgrade by accident.

Which might also explain, at least in part the bugs/slowness. The build of Leopard doesn't like upgrades. Install it fresh or not at all.

Its my main OS right now.. and its a pain in the ass. Mail freezes, Toast 8 won't work worth a :censored2: .. parallels starts when it wants to. I'm going to go back to 10.4 tonight.. I'm just going to do a fresh install..

Which is odd, because I have a core duo as well (imac) and with less RAM, and Mail works beautifully, Toast 8 works fine (mind you, I only burned a quick data dvd, no encoding involved.) I don't use parallels, so I can't comment on that.

It seems a lot of odd behaviour can be prevented if you just do a clean install, no upgrade. For me, leopard is as smooth as anything can be. I have yet to experience a crash. The only annoyance is that quicktime likes to take extra time to recognize movies that require perian/avi/xvid codecs. I installed the codecs correctly, but the videos take a bit longer to appear. No big deal, given Leopard's beta state.

WAY too many :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: bugs to be used as on a work machine. I need this computer to get my through my day.. and with parallels not working, that was a nightmare.

I went back to tiger for now. Leo is cool.. but not yet.. not on this machine.

Seems to depend on the machine/installation method? I've encountered very few, if any bugs, certainly nothing to stop me from using it as my everyday OS. Funnily enough, I've so far found it even faster and more stable than Tiger!

I even put my pictures folder, which is *loaded* with pics and odds and ends into the dock as a stack, just to see what would happen under a lot of load. Worked fine, pretty fast, considering. In fact all the animated eyecandy is pretty smooth. Current uptime is 10 hours and so far so good.

Again, I did a clean install, no upgrade. Totally wiped Tiger from my drive (backed up my files to dvds before), using disk utility, during the install process.

i am actually very tempted to switch back to tiger tonight, i like the features but i'm all about having a hella fit or tight OS and there is just too many kinks bugs that make it not clean and it gets on my nerves.

Any word on if the archive and install is a good choice? I'm going to install over my Tiger install on the macbook, but I'd like to keep my home directory with as little trouble as possible.

No, not a good choice. A complete reformat is the only sure way to go. Take a look at what others have done including me.

I've been using various builds as my main OS since WWDC 2006. Unfortunately, I now have no bluetooth with 9A466, so I can't use my Apple Wireless keyboard/mouse. I didn't even do an upgrade install!

That happened to me too when i installed it on an external USB drive. But as soon as i installed it on my main internall HD, the bluetooth started working fine.. Go figure ;)

Adi

i just went back to tiger and i am def glad i did. leopard made me appreciate how f'n slick tiger is, i can only hope that apple gets their {censored} in gear within the next couple months b/c from install to working desktop tiger was 150% snappier than leopard was, which i am dissapointed with because i really dig leopards features, just going to have to wait (till leopard release + one week grace to see what the word is)

i miss quick look the most.

I took SuperDuper and made a bootable clone of my Tiger install on a partition of an external drive. Then I formatted and installed Leopard, and imported my home folder from the Tiger clone. So now I've got Leopard, openSuSE, and Vista on my 120G internal, with the Tiger clone on the external. Just about all of the cool stuff in Leopard works flawlessly; Time Machine is a bit glitchy (sometimes makes double hourly backups...) but it's saved my ass once already.

Problems:

1. Adium doesn't automatically convert the text equivalent of a smiley to the actual image. They say it'll be fixed when Leopard actually releases. :(

2. I have to use Dev Builds of Firefox because the rendering is screwed up in 2.0.0.4. Tons of textual glitches all over the place. And for some reason I can't compile from source... :P I guess Gecko 1.8 (FF 2.0.0.4) doesn't work properly with Leopard; 1.9 (Dev Builds) seems fine. Some of my extensions got broked, though, even with the Nightly Tester Tools. And Live Bookmarks don't refresh by themselves anymore.

;)

3. CoverFlow in the Finder is glitchy; if I open a folder of PDFs, open one in Preview, then minimize the Finder window, whichever PDF was in focus on CoverFlow stays superimposed on the Desktop. Apple will fix this, but it's annoying.

4. I can't get rid of the Quicksilver icon on my Dock. Minor, but aggravating.