Which Vista?

bswinnerton

33 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, i've just purchased a macbook pro, and i'm waiting for it to ship...

I am going to install vista on my macbook with boot camp, and i was wondering which vista i have to get.

I would like to purchase home premium, but i know that the upgrade won't work right? So my question is, if i get the OEM verison will that be okay?

Thanks for all your help, and i look forward to seeing you all around the forums.

The upgrade WILL work, even if you don't already have another copy of Windows installed. I doubt Microsoft wants you to do it this way, but hell... :hysterical:

Allow me to explain...

1. Install Vista. When it asks for a product key, DO NOT enter one.

2. When Vista boots up for the first time, it'll start nagging you about activation. This is good.

3. While Vista is running, insert your Vista upgrade disc and start the setup process. This time, DO enter your product key.

4. Pick Upgrade from the list.

5. Let it run. When the "upgrade" process is finished, you'll have a legal, activated Vista with just the upgrade version.

For some reason, Microsoft lets Vista upgrade from itself. I suppose this is because of the "Anytime Upgrade" thing they have going, but it also helps out us cheap bastards who don't want to pay for the non-upgrade copy. :hysterical:

This does work... I do it every time I reinstall Vista.

Well if you notice on the link that included, that version is even cheaper than the upgrade, thats why i asked.

The OEM edition is 119 and the upgrade is 156. Would the OEM version be sufficeint?

*smacks self over the head*

Yep, I didn't even follow the link. So sue me. :)

OEM will work fine, and you won't have to go through my annoying, crazy, upgrade-to-Vista-from-Vista process. :thumbsup_anim:

Ugh, the one time I don't click a link in a topic...

Haha, well the only reason that i will be installing vista is for the games, and i did watch the keynote speech stating that EA games will be doing simultaneous releases, but i think until everything gets up to speed it will take a little while.

And plus i just want to see what's so horrible about Vista =P

And plus i just want to see what's so horrible about Vista =P

Nothing! Nothing is horrible about Vista, its terrific. You'll be presently surprised that dispite all the negative hype, Vista is a very solid OS. I dont see how someone could hate Vista, but I can see how they would prefer OS X or Linux.

Haven't seen any straightforward replies here, so:

I installed Vista Home Premium OEM on my Macbook using Boot Camp, and it works just fine. And I can use Parallels to boot the BC partition in to a virtual machine in OSX(there were some glitches with the original release of Parallels 3.0, but they seem to be worked out with the latest update). It is definitely slower in Parallels, but not terribly so(rough estimate 2/3 the speed)

One thing to consider - Boot Camp right now is a public beta, so it is not impossible that when 10.5 comes out with the final Boot Camp release that somehow Home Premium will be disabled. I wouldn't think that this would happen, but you never know, so if a copy of Vista Business or Ultimate isn't much more it might be worth it just to be on the safe side(since I think the EULA's for them say Virtual Machines are OK).

Well i have ordered the 32 bit OEM Home premium version, and the only thing about boot camp is that i don't intend to use it. I am going to use rEFIt instead, so that i can tri-boot between os x, vista, and ubuntu. So hopefully no problems will occur.

And it's okay to run Home Premium in a VM just that you can't use the same license on the host.

What do you mean by that? Running a Vista VM in Vista?? Haha, that just really confused me.

IF you want something that is going to be more compatible, go with the 32-bit version. You won't be able to just burn a disk with the Bootcamp drivers with the 64-bit version.

Hey i was just wondering, what do you mean you won't be able to burn a disk with bootcamp drivers? What about with rEFIt?

No it absolutely is not. The Vista EULA totally prohibits using Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium at all in a virtual machine.
Could you copy/paste the part where it says that ?

I just had a look and for Home Basic/Premium it only has this:

4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the

licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.

So, isn't that saying you can't use the software in a VM on the licensed device? So, you can't use the same license?

But for Ultimate it has this:

6. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may use the software installed on the

licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed device. If

you do so, you may not play or access content or use applications protected by any Microsoft digital,

information or enterprise rights management technology or other Microsoft rights management

services or use BitLocker. We advise against playing or accessing content or using applications

protected by other digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other rights

management services or using full volume disk drive encryption.

Here it say you can use the software on the same device/license. Also, in other places they've made an emphasis on the ability to run versions like Enterprise/Ultimate within a VM on the same one and with Enterprise up to 4 VMs IIRC, so this emphasis sort of cements what I'm getting at.

Or is there something I'm missing?? :P

Reading the EULA carefully makes it clear (albeit legalese-clear) that the only thing you're not allowed to do on versions other than ultimate is install Vista, install a VM and install the same copy of Vista inside that VM. On Ultimate you can do that as well though.

What's the big deal? Nothing's been banned and in one case you're actually allowed to effectively use the same license more than once. Relax everyone.

There's a comment someone made elsewhere. And here's another from someone else who has come to the same conclusion:
From reading the license, my interpretation differs from your summary on a few points.

The license does not state that you cannot use Home Basic or Home Premium within a virtual hardware system. It states:

============

4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.

============

meaning you cannot use the same software you have installed on a licensed device (e.g., your computer) in a virtual hardware system.

IOW, you can either install Home Basic or Home Premium on a real computer or a virtual machine, but not both (without acquiring an additional license).

Likewise, the limitation on rights management technologies and BitLocker in a VM only apply when you are using the same Ultimate license on both real hardware and the VM. Otherwise (i.e., you have a seperate license for the VM instance), you may use those technologies in a VM. The license doesn't exclude them in the latter case, but does strongly advise against their use for obvious reasons.

===============

6. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed device. If you do so, you may not play or access content or use applications protected by any Microsoft digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other Microsoft rights management services or use BitLocker. We advise against playing or accessing content or using applications protected by other digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other rights management services or using full volume disk drive encryption.