Just Curious: Does anyone work with a PCI audio card with osX86 ?

tomHack

26 posts in this topic

I just wanted to know if anyone had managed to get an audio PCI card to work with a hackintosh ?

If yes, how ?

The more I read about it the more I am thinking that I am going to have to part with my trusted PCI MOTU 2408mkII.

Anyone interseted ? :P

BTW, I did read in the Wiki osX86 site that the PCI card was compatible.... does anyone know anything about that ?

I've a little Trust SC-5200 (C-Média 8738)

all output work.

Digital output work but only 2 channels.

Little price.

I appreciate the answer... I gather that this is not a soundcard for audio production though, is it ?

Does it have ins as well ? What are your machine specs / system ?

Hmm, my Fw1884 drivers worked from the Tascam site. They are UB.

I don't know if yours is, I also don't know if you need UB drivers..

Maybe move slots...

Don't know what else

Firewire is usually not a problem. I had a M-audio Projectmix and a FW410 to run on virtually all versions and kernels from 10.4.4 to 10.4.9 without a glitch.

The thing is to get OSX to even recognise a PCI card in a first place. Even if you find a UB driver for the card, it still won't guarantee it'll work.

I've already given up on my RME DIGI in OSX - (I can still use it though with Ardour in Linux).

The thing is to get OSX to even recognise a PCI card in a first place. Even if you find a UB driver for the card, it still won't guarantee it'll work.

This is exactly the case with my MOTU 424 PCI :(

The MOTU drivers are all UB, and aven if you have a driver problem, you should be able to see your card in the system profiler.

Now, here's a wild guess: correct me if I am wrong, but there isn't any MacIntel with regular PCI slot, is there ?

That sort of would make sense that any OSX intel (legit or hack) would ignore the PCI slots.

Now please anyone correct me...

Not an audio I/O card, but the UAD-1 dsp card (PCI) works like a charm in my HackMac.

Therefore it is the combination MoBo/OS that is crucial for the Hackmac to see the PCI card then..... mmh :P

For info: MOTU has released 3 versions of their 424:

The PCI, the PCIx and the PCIe.

Therefore it is the combination MoBo/OS that is crucial for the Hackmac to see the PCI card then..... mmh :P

Don't think so. Strange that you can't get the MOTU card to work. The Motu website says that the UB driver supports all 3 models, so I would guess it should run fine. Hmmm...is your rig overclocked? Have you already tried a different PCI slot? Maybe it's the kernel.

FYI, system profiler does not list any PCI card in my HackMac either - neither the UAD, nor my firewire card. The firewire card is somehow detected by OSX as standard firewire ports. The UAD however communicates fine with the UB driver, but no sign of it in the system profiler.

Don't think so. Strange that you can't get the MOTU card to work. The Motu website says that the UB driver supports all 3 models, so I would guess it should run fine. Hmmm...is your rig overclocked? Have you already tried a different PCI slot? Maybe it's the kernel.

FYI, system profiler does not list any PCI card in my HackMac either - neither the UAD, nor my firewire card. The firewire card is somehow detected by OSX as standard firewire ports. The UAD however communicates fine with the UB driver, but no sign of it in the system profiler.

well, there might be a way to get it working.... maybe it is the default overclock that is messing the thing up...but after already a couple weeks of sleepless nights I've have given up. I've put my 2408mkII for sale and moved on. As a matter of fact it might be working out for the better since that with the money I'll get for the PCI system I won't have to spend much to get the Konnekt24D which is going to be adequate for my current studio needs. (I used to have the need for all the I/O of the 2408, but not anymore)

I too have a fire wire card and confirm that it does work.... strangest thing.

Well OK then.

I am converting to Vodoo ! :D

Go figure. Good for you then. :P

I don't even want to try to get my 2408 PCI to work anymore, I want to see it out on ebay within days !

If anyone has a rational explanation then I would be happy to read it.

BTW I just pluged my brand new TC Konnekt24D.

Up and running in 5mins tops.

Now still talking about Vodoo: If I plug it to the native Firewire port: it works fine.

Then if I plug an external drive on my PCI FW card, the TC Konnekt crashes.

If I do the other way around: the TC on the PCI FW card and an then the external drive on the native port: the system is stable, works flawlessly.....

oh well, let's just make music and let's forget about this ! :D:D

• 11 months later...

hi

I have a Motu PCI424 (yes PCI), that used to be in my G4 MDD, now it's in the machine of my signature, well it's all working great with the drivers (v1.2.2)...on a PCI slot... :)

I thought I had to spend extra €295 to buy a PCIe, but no, it's working great with the driver :)

• 4 weeks later...
hi

I have a Motu PCI424 (yes PCI), that used to be in my G4 MDD, now it's in the machine of my signature, well it's all working great with the drivers (v1.2.2)...on a PCI slot... ;)

I thought I had to spend extra €295 to buy a PCIe, but no, it's working great with the driver :)

I have a MOTU 324 PCI, a MOTU 424 PCIx, and a MOTO 424 PCIe

the PCIx is a standard 133mhz PCI port.

the PCI 324 is standard 33mhz PCI 1.0 port

and the PCI 424e is a PCIx16 port.

if you think for a split second that the PCIx is the same as a PCIe you are sadly mistaken by about 80 gb/sec of bandwidth...

there is a reason you switch to a PCIe card - thats for a intel mac with a PCI "express 16" port...

I run a G4 dual 1ghz with the old PCI 424x card.. if I wanted to run that card I'd still use my G4.. but I want to run a PCIexpress card so thats the reason for the upgrade...

your card is running 133mhz with 1gb of bandwith (maybe 3gb). the x16 card "PCIe" 80gb bandwidth is a HUGE HUGE difference.

Any of you guys ever get the non-express PCI-424 working on a hack with Leo running on it? I am not getting it to work either. I have tried all three versions of the audio driver that are currently available from the MOTU website and they all install fine, but report that there is no MOTU pci card present when I try to run PCI audio setup.

when I use lspci, the card is detected there, but apparantly the MOTU drivers can't see it or aren't looking for it. I'm pretty much resolved at this point to give up on it, but I am just curious to find out if there is anyone currently able to use this card. Seems like pci-424e is the ticket on MacIntels. Anyone?

maybe i will finally have to switch to firewire, but I don't really want to.

I am using 2 UAD1 PCI cards and 1 Duende PCIe card. Motu 896HD firewire interface on a seperate PCI Fw card. A powercore Fw connected to onboard Fw on my ASUS P5K board.Works great . Can max out all cards without CPU spikes. There have been a few times when the UADs or Duende card can´t be found, but after a reboot they are there again. Happens maybe two times a week. Don´t know why. But besides that, a great working setup.

Hi

I´m using a RME HDSP 9632 from one year in HAckintosh (Tiger & Leopard) whitout issues.

Rme have a intel x86 driver for use this card in intel machines!!!!

If i buy a new MAC PRO i can´t use my souncard because this new machines only have a PCI-X slots.

Thanks to RME.....

Cheers

I installed the MOTU PCI 424 OSX leo drivers and the Unitor 8 is installed via Logic Studio

PCI 424e - with 2408mk2 x 2 / 1 x 24i interface / all 72 in and out working / adat / spdf etc

Logic Studio 8 / fully working - 2 x Unitor 8's full working

Kalyway 10.5.2 - Nforce kalybaby kernel

NO LAN / realtek lan card oob

HDPatcher 1.20 with 888.txt ALC

Geforce 7300 GT / NVInject Custom Dual display

Fatality FP-IN9 Motherboard

4 GB RAM

2.66ghz Core2Duo

Everything runs without a hitch. Logic Studio is wicked fast. All of my plugins load / work. I have massive sequencing going on 16 midi in / out - multiple soft instruments - plugins - C4 - L2 - always running. No issues. I love my PCI 424e

also have Sound Diver 3.1 working with my XSKEY and it runs perfectly without a problem as well. full automation of my virusC and whole studio.

So just a heads up because the OP's post was made well over a year ago and he didn't seem to have much sucecss with the PCI 424 and motu. If you have a pci x16 slot (express) you should be able to run the PCI424e no problem.

• 3 weeks later...