How does one become a moderator?

68 posts in this topic

yes admins are mods with access to the Admin CP

Of course they are, they are above everybody else. But as I already said, they don't always actively moderate.

ColdFusion doesn't seem to be very popular here, but I appreciate him for the wisdom he is showing by keeping a low profile.

Do you completely disregard you're own signature, and what goes on around here? "I don't remember seeing anyone leave for him to fill a gap." Let's recap on who left:

sHARD>>

other

Kevin_4e

To the best of my knowledge, the admins are mods, too....

Admins may have Mod privileges but they are not Moderators as in the title as they don't go around moderating. They are Administrators. other and sHARD>> were Admins and simply because they left how does it make sense for me to become a Mod? It has nothing to do with them leaving. It would make more sense if I wanted to be an Admin, which I doubt the staff want too many off. If however a Mod left you are actually filling the exact gap left vacant.

It like I heard recently News Team staff members have moderating privileges. simply because Kevin_4e left does that mean the staff need a Moderator? Come on dude...

It would make more sense if I wanted to be an Admin, which I doubt the staff want too many off.

Actually I believe that the only way to become an Admin would be to buy a large share of Fubra Limited, and I doubt it is for sale.

Actually I believe that the only way to become an Admin would be to buy a large share of Fubra Limited, and I doubt it is for sale.

Fubra Ltd is a business. InsanelyMac is not a business. You definitely do not become an admin by buying shares of Fubra Ltd.

- Sb.

I see where you're coming from but remember we still have staff members in Admin positions who (I assume) have no stake in Fubra Limited. Cmoski (?) is one of them.

Fubra Ltd is a business. InsanelyMac is not a business. You definitely do not become an admin by buying shares of Fubra Ltd.

- Sb.

Thanks for putting a firm position on that Sb. I think we needed it too.

And like the new avatar. :thumbsup_anim: Guess the other one was becoming a little overused by the cummunity.

And like the new avatar. :thumbsup_anim: Guess the other one was becoming a little overused by the cummunity.

Thanks - it's the icon for a program called Coda. ;)

- Sb.

Fubra Ltd is a business. InsanelyMac is not a business.

No? What would you call something sold for $75,000?

You definitely do not become an admin by buying shares of Fubra Ltd.

How do you become one, then?

No? What would you call something sold for $75,000?

How do you become one, then?

1) Just because you sell something does not mean it is a business. I don't want to get into the whole 'selling the site malarkey', we have plenty of topics about that, but I will say this. If InsanelyMac was a business (which, in my book, means that it is run purely for the generation of profit) then why aren't I being paid for what I do around here? Swad sold the ownership rights of InsanelyMac, OSx86Project, and OnMac. That's all (at least, that is how I see it).

2) I don't think there is a defined set of procedures to become an admin. However, I'm not 100% sure on that. I would say that you work your way up, from moderator => admininstrator. Well, that's the only way that makes sense to me.

Well, I'm sure the Admins would be quite complimentary if someone donated, say...

Seven hundered and forty-five thousand pounds?

Just a guess, that's all ;)

:(

You expressed in a funny and very effective way what I wanted to say with different words.

2) I don't think there is a defined set of procedures to become an admin. However, I'm not 100% sure on that. I would say that you work your way up, from moderator => admininstrator. Well, that's the only way that makes sense to me.

That doesn't seem to be the way ColdFusion and his companions became administrators. Mind you, I don't have anything at all against them: it is only reasonable that if you own a place you can do what you want with it.

not really. I want to be a moderator to clean up some of my topics with the moderators should have.(Racism and personal attacks have penetrated some topics{look in real life}, and the moderators haven't cleaned them up!?)

if you find something offensive, or if you think a thread needs moderating, report it, or p.m. a mod.

i know i check in every day. :)

p.s. if i were you, i would ignore the foolishness you find in "Real Life' and "Thunderdome". they are the

pressure release zones. if one primarily posts in those areas, one gets what they have coming. but still

p.m. a mod, or report.

Back on topic: How does one become a moderator?

I believe the main criteria should be the overall maturity shown by the candidate, otherwise this forum (like any other) could become a lunatic asylum. Very often people who want to be moderators are not good candidates, because they want it for the wrong reasons. I refused a moderator position at linuxiso.org (now defunct), where I was one of the most senior and respected users.

That doesn't seem to be the way ColdFusion and his companions became administrators. Mind you, I don't have anything at all against them: it is only reasonable that if you own a place you can do what you want with it.

They're administrators because, as you say, they own InsanelyMac. That doesn't mean you have to own something to become an administrator of it. I suppose, if you want the absolute answer, PM ColdFusion. He'll tell you everything you need to know about becomming an administrator. :)

- Sb.

I guess the first requirement is the kindness. Anyone can "ask to google", but there are no so many that can be kind and always ready to support the community (of course a moderator should be and IS a normal member for me, with some rights only on the board but = to anybody who posts).

A moderator is not a God, it's the first rule.

Sooo, how about my question. I would be willing to be a mod. so Sabr, would i have a chance? (remember the knives)
You know at first I laughed my head silly when I thought of Kiko as a Mod but then I tried to think a little more seriously and actually realised it wouldn't be a bad idea. The mods here are great. Really great, but Kiko does have way of things and I do feel he would probably get things done faster, although with a chaotic process. So Kiko, you got my vote.

:P