Why are we paying more than $3 bucks for gas?

41 posts in this topic

We have to pay $6.2 bucks in germany..

Actually if the liter costs 1,40€ this equals 7,14$ (US) at the moment. Anyway I can't tell if it's at 1,40€ right now because that's the price I've paid recently here in France (well, even 1,45€ (7,39$)!!!) ^_^

Why are we paying more than $3 bucks for gas?

Because we should be, to cut down the use of a precious resource.

Want to save on petrol? Get an electric hybrid car, or run it on ethanol.

You don't need to pay $3 a gallon (whatever that is in real money ;))

In America we pay 3 dollars for a gallon, although, in Great Brittan, they pay about the same price per LITER. and much of it is taxes by the way. so really, we have cheep gas. :hysterical:

3 bucks still sucks though.

and Snerler, thats dumb, they want to make AS MUCH as possible without turning away buyers, thus they can jack up gas prices and no one will walk etc.... so they end up making more total $$$, but if they rased prices too much $$$ would go down because people would stop paying for it.

basic economics.

To the US fellas on here:

How about downsizing your habits of ridiculously huge SUVs and other petrol-guzzling 4-5+ litre giants in general.

When I lived in the US for a while, nobody would answer my question why the rear area of those XXXL pick up trucks seem to be always empty and why there are so many 'average' people driving around in those monsters without ever hauling anything really bulky....

It's all about energy efficiency in the long run, not about how to get the same insane amount of energy for cheaper.

haha.

I like how when asked why the average person needs a car, the response is that the average person needs to haul tools. The average person uses their vehicle to get themselves to and from work. Which can probably be replaced with some other method of transportation.

Yea? and how far does that person have to travel? Depends on where you live.

Some people have to drive 80 miles. I don't see a person walking, or using a bicycle to travel 80 miles.

The average person doesn't have to drive 80 miles to get to work. I see people every day getting in their cars to cross the street to the minimart.

The average person could easily live without a car by making different choices.

Yea? and how far does that person have to travel? Depends on where you live.

Some people have to drive 80 miles. I don't see a person walking, or using a bicycle to travel 80 miles.

Yeah, but even if they do need to travel 80 miles, there is no need to use a SUV.

Hybrid cars are getting cheaper, and there is always public transport.

My Dad used to commute 120miles back and forth to work everyday, and it was costing him a metric :censored2: load. Now, he gets the bus into work. Saves money, and unbelievably, time too

• 4 weeks later...
The average person doesn't have to drive 80 miles to get to work. I see people every day getting in their cars to cross the street to the minimart.

The average person could easily live without a car by making different choices.

But think of this. It is not just a question of cars. How much gas, or coal does it take to manufacture paper? Or even to recycle it? To create a better fuel efficiant car you must use less gas, more compression, and more air intake. Take a look at this. This is quite amazing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...h&plindex=0

Here's what's happening in the UK and US:

UK - We've never been a fan of gas guzzling muscle cars and long distance travel because long distance over here is less than in the US. This means that we buy smaller cars because they're more efficient at the shorter distances we travel. Now the oil companies are noticing that people are having to buy less fuel so to keep the books healthy they incrase prices to an insane level. Plus, the government put a stupid amount of tax on fuel.

US - The US loves big vehicles which generally average almost nothing to the gallon. This means the oil companies cam charge less and the consumer doesn't mind having to fill up every few metres because it's cheaper than just about anywhere else. However you're now stuck in this way of life and buying trends are slowly moving towards the UK end of the market, with more efficient German and Japanese cars able to do 3 times the mileage on the same amount of fuel. Example - The old Lupo had a 1.2 diesel that could do 112mpg whereas the average American saloon car can't manage above 40mpg.

You need to realise that oil companies will push up prices to keep the books stable as the more efficient cars drink less. $3 for a US gallon (Which is about 25% smaller than the UK gallon) is cheap as for a US gallon in the UK you're looking at £3! That's a 100% increase in price over you!

Prices increase because there is more demand than supply... not because fuel-efficient cars use less gasoline to drive...

The UK for instance taxes gas much more than gas is taxed in the united states, this is true. But another reason why gas is much more expensive in the UK is that gasoline is not produced there, nor is oil. Oil and gas are both produced in the United States. The closer you live to a gasoline refinery, the cheaper your gas is.

In the UK, gas costs 0.95 Pounds per liter, more than half of which is tax. So, with taxes in both the united states ($0.22 a gallon), the cost of gas itself in the US on average is $2.88 and is $3.41 in the UK on average. When accounting for the cost of shipping to Britain, that seems like a reasonable price.

(On a side note, there is also a sales tax of 17.5% on british gas purchases.)

If gas in the US tomorrow went up to $10 a gallon, through either taxes or supply and demand, it would motivate people to look for alternatives.