What should I do now that I'm here in Europe?

89 posts in this topic

ok listen up peeps, Im Going to Europe to Visit my Moms family in France (Yes Im French) and I have no Clue what to do or what to Bring to Europe,where to go, or what to know Please Help me Folks! :rolleyes: Im only 15

I've never been out of the States, Thats All, I already got My passports and other important stuff, Im going bymyself, Im bringing my Learners Permit, (I wonder if i can drive in Europe with my Permit, Lol) Im Going on Contenental, From Kansas City to New York to London to France, My stuff is paid for, 1st Class Baby! I'll buy my Toothbrush and Toothpaste in France.

A Gun.

Ever seen Hostel?

Bring a decent internet connection you won't find any in europe!

I hear ya. Ive seen the statistics. I heard Japan is laying down gigabit fiber in homes. :\

Wish we had that here. If the government would stop subsidizing these damn Bell monopolies, we would have it.

As you can see from the chart, the average download speed was 1.9 megabits per second.

At this rate, it would take an hour and a half to download a movie. This average U.S. download

speed compares to 61 megabits per second in Japan, 45 megabits per second in South Korea, 18

megabits per second in Sweden, 17 megabits per second in France, and 7 megabits per second in

Canada

Oh god, forget What I've said, france has a good speed, on the opposite, my country doesn't even appear in that study

ok listen up peeps, Im Going to Europe to Visit my Moms family in France (Yes Im French) and I have no Clue what to do or what to Bring to Europe,where to go, or what to know Please Help me Folks! ;) Im only 15

Simply don't worry too much. You'll find that we are a civilized lot here in Europe :)

(BTW, I have been in France several times. Expect some of the best food in the world).

You could bring a Mac and sell it to us, poor European sods. We have to pay 40% more than in the US.

I'd recommend an open mind and an appetite for new things..

The food is spectacular, the culture charming, if you just grasp how to slip into it & let it wash over you, as opposed to wearing a 10-gallon hat & waving the stars & stripes wherever you go. (j/k)

Any french you speak will be an advantage, and even if it's just a little bit, trying to speak the language is a politeness that is appreciated, and you'll quickly find the french are far happier to try speaking english after they've heard you try to speak french.

Depending on how long you're staying you'll want to think about a cellphone (either bringing yours or borrowing/whatever one there) and an appropriate charger. if you have one with a decent camera so much the better, as it's far less obtrusive than carrying a separate camera, and you will want to get some pictures.

Above all, have fun.

I'll Bring my Laptop, BUt...I won't Be able to Charge it Because of the Plugin Diffrences :) And i might get a Prepaid phone from Vondaphone (if they do that) thanks for the info, keep on going

I'll Bring my Laptop, BUt...I won't Be able to Charge it Because of the Plugin Diffrences :) And i might get a Prepaid phone from Vondaphone (if they do that) thanks for the info, keep on going

they sell adaptors for that. they can be a little pricey, but its worth it.

check the power adapter on your laptop, a lot of them are global these days.. if it says "input 100-250 volts" or something like that, then all you need is a simple plug cable or adapter, which should be available for very little money.

(I wonder if i can drive in Europe with my Permit, Lol)

You must be 18 to drive, and I believe at least 16 to be able to drive under supervision. France is one of the countries where you really should know the language. At least how to greet and say thanks. Especially if you meet older... they might know english and the might most likely not want to speak it. But I guess the basics you know from your family.

Don't forget blankets and glass beads so you can get some native porters to carry your stuff. You will also need to talk loud and shout a lot to make yourself understood; the cunning buggers will pretend not to understand English, then steal your cargo behind your back.

Cut out the French-bashing, folks. I've lived in France and just like anywhere else there are good people and bad people there. On the whole the French are open, generous people who will be friendly and helpful, particularly if you make some effort to speak the language. Even a little - and they don't generally mind if you get the language totally wrong. Most young people speak perfect English - but they'll still like it if you can come up with an introduction in French. Paris is different; like any big city it has a lot of ripoff merchants and they do tend to be less friendly to foreigners. Americans come in for a lot of bad press in France - it might be better to avoid proudly announcing where you're from initially.

France is not a third-world country. You can buy almost anything there that you could get in the US, and you shouldn't have any problems. It will be relatively expensive though.

Forget about driving unless you have a full licence and you are fairly experienced. Driving is very different in most of Europe and you will be caught out by different traffic rules and different driving styles. The French do not drive like lunatics despite what some people say; the French would say much the same about American drivers - it's really just a question of habits and what's accepted as the norm.

French girls are truly like girls anywhere else, though they tend to be more 'romantic' (guys too). But to quote a line from "Trois Couleurs Bleu", they "sweat, fart and cough like any other girl" (my translation) . They tend to have close families, so don't go having casual sex if there's a brother or father nearby. Actually that goes for most places.

Take whatever you'd take on a trip to another State. If the worst comes to the worst and you don't have something you absolutely need, you can always buy it or borrow it there.

A guide of french or english, the plugs conversors..maybe some jewelery (don't know the real name, i mean..like the one that wear soldiers), in where in the case that u go to an hospital, doctors know, your name, and posible data like blood type or alergic reactions.

Condons...well, it's good to carry with u everywhere :(

A list of useafull phrasses...well remember that go to france is not go to europe...there many diferences between countries.

Don't know the frequencies of the gsm terminals in usa...so maybe u have to buy one here...at last, the sim card.

A good account of money and many desires to have fun :D

Wow That ALOT of Useful Information Thank you all, Do they have good speed in france? And i Hae having to know to learn about the metric system (im almost a sophmore in Highschool and my bad subject is math, lol) I have a question, Why does the rest of the world use Metric and the Americas use US Imperial?

Cause the english people that go to america in the first times of the history of this country, were english people, that live in europe but not connected by any terrain or ground...so it's that's the reason of that strange way of measure things :)

If this is not correct, i would be very gratefull to the one that can correct, and with all my respect to english and nort american citizens of this forum ;)......but those weirds units.. :hysterical: