What should I do now that I'm here in Europe?

89 posts in this topic

The French do not drive like lunatics despite what some people say; the French would say much the same about American drivers

The French would be right when they say that, I have no arguments whatsoever.

Why does the rest of the world use Metric and the Americas use US Imperial?

We brought it over from the Britain and never got rid of it simply because of the problem of teaching everyone (older generations) about it, and the cost of having to change all the labels and signs. Iit would be quite expensive to change all those mile markers to km (it would probably cost less than a war in Iraq though :hysterical:). Eventually the US will be forced to change over and follow worldwide standards.

Lol, Im gonna hate the day that happens, for an Example

Me: Dad, The speed limit is 100 km/h and your going 20 mph

Dad: Cause the speed limit is *passes by the Newly converted speed limit sign saying '100'

Dad: oh.....

I'll laugh the day the US Stockmarket Crashes again and the Dollar goes lesser in value and the Euro dominates the Global Market

Yes, you need to know the metric system, and you need a tri or quadband gsm if you have an american gsm-phone.

And as you already are off topic, when US will introduce km/h signage they will do as they do in northern New York state and other places close to canadian border with either both limits and a reminder.

as a sidenote, if anyone talks about mile in europe, get it converted to km, as each country has varying definitions of that word.

If I was going to France, I would bring marmite and brown sauce, because they don't have any there.

But that's more of a british need....

I would take a French power adaptor and a sense of humor.

Also, how long are you staying?

If it's going to be a long time, I would grab a French PAYG sim card (I recommend Orange)

Though only if your phone is GSM or EDGE.

From the Marmite hate fan club:

Eat Marmite? You'd rather rip the wings off live chickens. You'd rather be stripped naked in public. You'd rather swallow rat's tails and snail shells... Enough already! We get the picture. And yes, you're in the right place... :)

Don't forget blankets and glass beads so you can get some native porters to carry your stuff. You will also need to talk loud and shout a lot to make yourself understood; the cunning buggers will pretend not to understand English, then steal your cargo behind your back.

lol :)

(are you British or Aussie by any chance?)

Back to the question. Definitely bring a French dictionary with certain catch phrases. It makes life much easier in France if you're not fluent. The easy thing about French (unlike other languages) is that most people always use the exact same phrases for certain essential things. Don't even start trying to translate literally from English word by word. Nobody will understand you and quickly move on. Especially Parisians have an extremely short patience span.

But hey, France is not the only country in Europe where they speak French and the other 'francophones' are definitely less uptight about their language. (Just needed to get that straight :))

What you should leave at home is the widespread belief that the customer is always right, even if he isn't. In France they will quickly let you know when you aren't or sometimes even when they just think you aren't...

Apart from that, you'll encounter lots of things that might seem odd to you but if you're truly culturally interested and open to most things there you can make some true friends for life.

I really don't know what part, but its the good part of Paris, Im confused about the Cell Phone Providers in Europe

Which One should i Get?

Vondafone

or

Orange

????

Orange.

They have the best network coverage and are practically giving away sim cards

I prefer vodafone, but that's just me.

Ohw and come to the Netherlands, the freeport of Europe. No need to learn the language since half of the people here talk in a foreign language anyways. And try if you can get a macbook/pro fro someone in europe can save that person up too 600 dollars. At least I do it when I go to the US.

Hmm Thanks for the info, You never know where i might be, From the UK to France,or somewhere, Who knows, But i'll have fun while im there, I'll get a Orange SIM, (Netherlands = Bicycle Capital of the World)

I'll try and firgure out how to use the damn Euro :o

I double that. Especially Amsterdam is got to be the coolest city on earth. :(

I second that too.

I'll try and firgure out how to use the damn Euro :P

Actually things are a lot easier than they used to be. Once you have learned how to use the Euro, things will be the same in most European countries where you are likely to go, except for Britain.

I remember travelling by car from Britain to Italy with seven currencies before the Euro (and being horribly ripped off by British banks in the process, having to pay a commission for each currency)

Guess what, I MADE IT TO EUROPE! But Im in a 2 HOUR delay in the UK, So im stuck here for 2 hours sitting at the gate, typeing onn my laptop ^^ and anything should i Do while im in the UK? and Damn, that sucks being ripped off and paying a commission? Are some british people rude?

Yey, Im in FRANCE!!! Im sitting in the guest room typeing on my Laptop (we got WIRELESS) and its 4:08 AM I know im supposed to be in bed but i am EXCITED, (first nite in a foreign country) so..w00t!