Expect a new GUI in Leopard?

t3mur

21 posts in this topic

So besides the little improvement in the GUI shown in the latest Leopard Beta, I highly doubt that the final will have any changes esides it. Afterall Leopard is just an update from Tiger. Its not like its OS 11, where i'd really expet A LOT of hanges.

Anywho.. thats my opinion, and I hope i'm wrong and that there is a great new GUI running with Leopard in Oct. What do you guys think?

I reckon there will be a GUI change. They've already changed iTunes - that doesn't blend with the rest of the Aqua feel of 10.4 does it (for instance, the scoll bar)? I think they did that to prepare us for a change in Leopard.

Hopefully we'll have a few themes to select from?

I suppose we'll find out for sure in the fully-featured beta in July.

- Sb.

I think Apple's certainly going to change the GUI. What those changes are ...I haven't a clue but odds are they'll likely be changes that work in conjuction with Core Animation.

Thus we need to be thinking in terms of "If Apple is adding animation to Leopard as a tool for improved computing and not just flash. What GUI features have to change to support the new architecture?"

We know that there will be dedicatated threads to the GPU for OpenGL rendering of the GUI. This means Apple can go "heavy" on UI stuff without the corresponding hit in display performance. Windows now may be able to slide back and out of your way in a quasi 3D manner.

Preference settings for folders will probably be on the backside of the window. Apple's current unification could be just to create a base look that will allow them to add in a unified but vastly different UI over the top and ensure that widgets and other UI elements remain the same. If you're building a new foundation it's always easiest to build from flat ground.

Interface Builder 3.0 contains a plugin format (XIB) and the ability to utilize more custom UI elements. Apple would be foolish not to show the benefits of XIB and more custom UI features. Note that in recent years Apple has not been cramming HIG dogma down developers throats. In fact they seem to be going more out of their way to encourage unique UI that "wow" customers to 3rd party developers.

If you're a developer you're fingers are thanking Apple making Leopard easier to code for by reducing the amount of code you have to write. You're happy about the knew tools that will make you more efficient. Consumers don't give a damn about this stuff. They want the sizzle more than the steak and Apple will deliver the sizzle to consumers to match the steak they've fed developers.

i'm sure there will be some minor changes, obviously they are moving away from the brushed metal window style. However, i think that those of you that are expecting apple to whip out some drasticly new interface at the last second are in for disappoinment.

Lets put it this way, whatever you see (UI wise) in the Feature Complete build of Leopard to be handed out to attendees at WWDC 2007 is what you will get in October when you go to the store and purchase it. Vista was also rumored to have a new UI in its RTM (6000), but it turned out looking just the same as build 5270 released in December of 2005. So, chris3g noted, do not get your homes up or you are in for a very huge surprise.

I think Apple's certainly going to change the GUI. What those changes are ...I haven't a clue but odds are they'll likely be changes that work in conjuction with Core Animation.

You bet. I'm expecting nothing less than a complete UI overhaul, utilizing the theme of light, shadow, and luminosity.

I also expect major new UI features (or enhancements to current UI) on the level of sheets, the Dock, Dashboard, and Exposé. And a handful of new, cutting-edge applications bundled with the OS.

I find rather extraordinary that people really think Apple would keep Aqua by and large the same after six years, especially with glossy, blingy Vista as their new and long-expected competition (even when Apple has flat-out said that there's more to Leopard than they've shown!). It's striking to see just how much Apple have led their users to expect so little (UI-wise) after four evolutionary updates.

The hints are many if you care to do a little digging.

I don't think they will bring out a completly new UI, but they will definately be some tweaks.

We've seen already that brushed metal has been eliminated, so either they will stick with what they have in 9A410 (which sucks) or they will refine it more OR go for something completely new!

Just please get it right, Apple

I think Apple's not stupid. If they did such a thing like Core Animation, there's a reason, and I think it's something more than beautiful iMovie effects & similar.

So, I think we'll see at least something new Core Animation-based. :(

Sherry Haibara

i was viewing videos about leopard in apple.com. concerning UI changes, from what i saw, there shouldn't be any major upgrade UI wise if what's shown in apple.com is indeed how Leopard will look like. it's just the same as Tiger. darn, can't apple just give out some screenshots? they (apple) always put mac users in a very curious stage.

they (apple) always put mac users in a very curious stage.

The enigma of their new releases does help towards the creation of the hype machine, though? Hell, it got me intrigued!

I'm actually expecting them to just keep refining the Aqua interface until OS11 (or what ever they call it)

afterall.. the Aqua interface has been there since the start.

and regarding Leopard's GUI... I think it'll be similar to what we see now in the beta's (a UNO-like interface)

which isn't bad.. alot of people actually prefer it over Tiger's brushed metal look.

I'm actually expecting them to just keep refining the Aqua interface until OS11 (or what ever they call it)

afterall.. the Aqua interface has been there since the start.

and regarding Leopard's GUI... I think it'll be similar to what we see now in the beta's (a UNO-like interface)

which isn't bad.. alot of people actually prefer it over Tiger's brushed metal look.

Yeah I'm not hoping for an entirely new interface, but it looks like all the apps will share the same look and feel now at least.

I just wish they went for a lighter colour as what they have now looks too dull.

Some core animation lovin to have things swish around a bit more might be nice.

I was watching the intro of Time Machine from WWDC 06 and Scott Forstall mentioned this is the "standard finder". Why would he have to mention what kind of finder it is? Couldn't he just said finder?

The point about the standard Finder was just to emphasize that there's no need to modify your application in any way to make it work in Time Machine.