ALC880 Audio works!!!

skippyretard

236 posts in this topic

If you have 10.4.3 then you should already have Azalia and HDA kexts you use one or the other, though the HDA kext for 8f1111 currently causes a kernel panic for some when modified.

to get details for your hardware open a terminal and execute ioreg -l

WOW THANK YOU CALLYSTO!

after modifying the applehda.kext you posted I now have full audio out & in, and core audio in Logic!!!!

I must have been editting a 10.4.4/10.4.5 kext all along!!

Thanks again.

WOW THANK YOU CALLYSTO!

after modifying the applehda.kext you posted I now have full audio out & in, and core audio in Logic!!!!

I must have been editting a 10.4.4/10.4.5 kext all along!!

Thanks again.

Yeah, but you (at least I do) get a lot of crackles, specially at low latencies, so it's basically unusable for audio.

Yeah, but you (at least I do) get a lot of crackles, specially at low latencies, so it's basically unusable for audio.

Testing at default settings seems solid - so far.

what latency/buffer settings do you suggest I test?

I have an maudio mobilepreusb for low latency audio if I need it.

I am just so happy to have onboard general purpose audio working at all! :thumbsdown_anim:

I now have a nearly fully OSx86 compatible notebook (no wireless & non-widescreen res)

I am sticking with 10.4.3, which runs fantastic, unless anyone can tell me what advantages I could expect with 10.4.5? Can you upgrade over a 10.4.3 install to 10.4.5mylar, and replace with working 10.4.3 kexts if needed?

I usually work with 256 samples of latency. This gives you around 7ms at 44 kHz which is just fine for live playing virtual instruments.

I am running 10.4.5, I don't know if it's responsible for hda working so bad. And also, I get input but only output via laptop speakers. I also have alc880 and 26688086 bus. You only replaced the bus ID in the AppleHDAController kext right?

I usually work with 256 samples of latency. This gives you around 7ms at 44 kHz which is just fine for live playing virtual instruments.

I am running 10.4.5, I don't know if it's responsible for hda working so bad. And also, I get input but only output via laptop speakers. I also have alc880 and 26688086 bus. You only replaced the bus ID in the AppleHDAController kext right?

I ended up putting the 0x26688086 in applehdacontroller, and doing the 0x10ec0880 & 0x26688086 in appleazalia.

Both the laptop speakers, and the headphone jack output (disables built in speakers) work fine.

Input is also detected, but I haven't recorded from microphone yet.

I'll post back about latency once I've tested more.

Is 10.4.5 worth the upgrade?

I think I read somewhere that at least 10.4.4 was needed for some apps (iLife06?), not shure, so that's what I went for. Besides, all my hardware is fine (pcmcia and ATIX700 QE included) except audio.

Strange you managed to load both azalia and HDA, I tought they were exclusive from one another. Can you do a capture from your extensions panel at the system profiler? And also, if you can, do another for the audio+midi utility panel.

Thanx.

I think I read somewhere that at least 10.4.4 was needed for some apps (iLife06?), not shure, so that's what I went for. Besides, all my hardware is fine (pcmcia and ATIX700 QE included) except audio.

Strange you managed to load both azalia and HDA, I tought they were exclusive from one another. Can you do a capture from your extensions panel at the system profiler? And also, if you can, do another for the audio+midi utility panel.

Thanx.

ok, reboot and no sound!

deleted azalia, reboot and it's back ok, so hda it is then.

still not fully tested, but here is the screengrab.

Ok, so that's just HDA being loaded. So yes, I was right, you can't load both drivers at the same time. HDA gives me line in too, but output defaults to laptop speakers only and I get a lot of crackles on audioapps and itunes, so it's not very useful here. It would be very nice to find a hack that enables all output/input in azalia but I haven't been able to. Still researching from time to time though...

Ok I ow have audio output on my asus A6Ja, I removed the AppleHDA.kext from the Extension folder and I made the change that is described at the beginning of this thread to the AppleAzalia.kext.

Now I have audio output and that's enough to me.

Core Audio in Logic Express 7 is rock solid at 256 samples - no crackles, latency or sync errors.

Audio outputs either through laptop speakers or through headphone jack.

Input is NOT being detected thru core audio though, even though it is shown in system prefs?

Working input would be nice, any suggestions?

Newtrax, I've noticed you're running 10.4.3, that might explain why it works for you and not for me as IOAudiofamily, IOPCIdevice which audio kexts rely on, completely change in 10.4.5. Doing the same AppleHDA mod on this last version gets me nowhere, as kexts load properly but it's not able to initialize the sound. It works on 10.4.3 but then you will be stuck with that in the future.

As for the input not working for Core Audio, I'm afraid you can't do anything about that, as it is not properly linked to IOAudiofamily which then links to CoreAudio (I think it worked that way).

What is preventing us to properly load AppleHDA in 10.4.5 is just initializing the hardware, so if someone could help on that it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I'm running 10.4.3 8f1111g and I have ALC 850 ac97. I'm also running a Soundblaster X-Fi platinum. When I disable the soundblaster and then enable the ac97 onboard sound in BIOS, I still can't get sound in windows. When I switch over to Mac OS X, it's recognizes the Onboard Sound perfectly, but still no sound. What do I have to do to get it working? Do I have to full uninstall the Soundblaster drivers first and then enable onboard sound?

Newtrax, I've noticed you're running 10.4.3, that might explain why it works for you and not for me as IOAudiofamily, IOPCIdevice which audio kexts rely on, completely change in 10.4.5. Doing the same AppleHDA mod on this last version gets me nowhere, as kexts load properly but it's not able to initialize the sound. It works on 10.4.3 but then you will be stuck with that in the future.

As for the input not working for Core Audio, I'm afraid you can't do anything about that, as it is not properly linked to IOAudiofamily which then links to CoreAudio (I think it worked that way).

What is preventing us to properly load AppleHDA in 10.4.5 is just initializing the hardware, so if someone could help on that it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I have upgraded to 10.4.5 using myzar dvd.

deleted apple02audio, appleazalia, applehda kexts

and put my working editted 10.4.3 applehda.kext in extensions, disk utility repair, reboot

WORKING AUDIO! So it is possible.

Haven't tested input, or core audio yet.

I have upgraded to 10.4.5 using myzar dvd.

deleted apple02audio, appleazalia, applehda kexts

and put my working editted 10.4.3 applehda.kext in extensions, disk utility repair, reboot

WORKING AUDIO! So it is possible.

Haven't tested input, or core audio yet.

No way! You have it working on 10.4.5? What hardware you running specifically, IE like 880 etc... Also what version of the AppleHDA kext you running? Any other steps you might have left out?

EDIT-- Ok scratch that... I have it working now. The only thing is that Line in doesn't work really. I would love to get mic in working though... hmmm....

Edit2 - New AppleHDA in the new installer for 10.4.6 Testing it out... looks like there is a spot for the controller address as well now!

Edit 3- 10.4.6 Has Layout ID property error, not sure if due to two separate sections for hardware ids.

One for Controller, and one for address...:

<string>AppleHDAController</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x26688086</string>

&&&

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x27D88086 0x26688086</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

(NOTE THESE ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL string numbers... I was uh... testing these.

Here are all the hardware location strings for my realtec HD audio:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0880&SUBSYS_10430000&REV_1008\4&2642153B&0&0001

hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0880

I had the 266 string work before, but perhaps someone can lead me in the right direction on what I should put where. I forgot how to decode these things. :) Thanks!

No way! You have it working on 10.4.5?

EDIT-- Ok scratch that... I have it working now. The only thing is that Line in doesn't work really. I would love to get mic in working though... hmmm....

Edit2 - New AppleHDA in the new installer for 10.4.6 Testing it out... looks like there is a spot for the controller address as well now!

Yeah, I'm not getting anything either through the mic/line input even though it is available.

Very stable, low latency core audio output fine though!

The most important step for me was deleting other audio related kexts such as azalia that were clashing.

The 10.4.6 AppleHDA.kext sounds (pun intended) very promising!

Hi There!

It's good to see people up and running with their audio! I'm also trying but having no joy ;)

My system is a Shuttle ST20G5, with Realtek ALC880 HD audio. I am using the 10.4.3 (8F1111) with JaS patch 4.2b

I have tried everything in the first post, amending the AppleHDAcontroller, removing the kextcache files, and repairing permissions, but I still get no sign of audio on my system. I've also tried the steps in the wiki for amending the AC97 kext which again shows nothing at all. I go to system profiler and system settings, and it just says that there are no devices. I also tried just replacing the skippyretard amended kext file onto my own without any luck.

Is there anything else I can try? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

J

hey i just got the ST20G5, i can't get the 10.4.3 disc to go past the damn apple. what'd you do?

hey i just got the ST20G5, i can't get the 10.4.3 disc to go past the damn apple. what'd you do?

The main problem for the Audio in in the Codecs is that you need to configure AppleHDA specifically for each sound card, since each sound card addresses their ports differently. Since I am working on Realtek, I have to use the Realtek codec ports. I found a PDF that has all the info in the chipset, but no idea how to translate the addresses for the Mac OS.

The main problem for the Audio in in the Codecs is that you need to configure AppleHDA specifically for each sound card, since each sound card addresses their ports differently. Since I am working on Realtek, I have to use the Realtek codec ports. I found a PDF that has all the info in the chipset, but no idea how to translate the addresses for the Mac OS.

i'm talking just the first-time installation apple. i've gotten the 10.4.1 and 10.4.3 image working beautifully on my sony vaio, but i can't get anything out of it on this machine. it's a shuttle st20g5, athlon x2 4400+, sapphire x1600xt, ocz 1gb, and a regular old 40gb ide drive.

Have you managed to find out any information about the integer values in the Info.plist for AppleHDA.kext? I'm sure it's what is holding us back on this, though I could be wrong. i downloaded the PDF files and nothing relevant seemed to be in there!

Have you managed to find out any information about the integer values in the Info.plist for AppleHDA.kext? I'm sure it's what is holding us back on this, though I could be wrong. i downloaded the PDF files and nothing relevant seemed to be in there!

This is what I meant:

Exerp from the new AppleHDA Version 1.1.4a9 ::::::

<key>AnalogOut</key>

<dict>

<key>SignalProcessing</key>

<dict>

<key>Volume</key>

<dict>

<key>SoftwareVo$

<dict/>

</dict>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>CodecID</key>

<integer>2206496386</integer>

*******End Exerp

The Codec ID listed here needs to match the sound card that is in your machine in addition to the Controller address. If we were to (Or someone) find out what the values need to be for certain cards, the kext would see the LINE-In and Mic features. Something that would be reallllly cool!

I have no sound, my hardware,

Gigabyte K8N51GMF-9

OSX 10.4.5

All work :D except for the sound

ALC 0880

Ven_id 10ec dev_id 0880

I edit Appleazalia and appleHDA with 0x10ec0880 but no kext load, and I got no sound, I dont know what else can I do.

Please Help me

It may be a conflict since you have modified Azalia and AppleHDA kexts try one or the other just back them up to somewhere safe then remove/replace each in turn

ps don't forget to repair permissions or it'll never work

I edit the applehda first and then the appleazalia, and later both of them but no sound after all, yes i repair permissions after edit them.

Is there something I miss, Is someone with the same hardware get it work?

Please help!!!