ALC880 Audio works!!!

skippyretard

236 posts in this topic

FIXED - SORT OF

I used skippyretard's AppleHDA.kext file and his instructions and now I have output! Awesome. Only problem: When i shutdown my system for whatever reason, I lose sound upon rebooting. how can I make this stick?

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with my sound working at all.

I have a FOXCONN 915GL7MC-8KS motherboard

Chipset: Intel® 915GL Express + ICH6

Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 controller

Integrated, 7.1 channel High Definition (Realtek) ALC880 chipset (I can see the chip on the board)

I cannot get it to load any type of sound device at all. I've tried the original instructions by skippyretard but I get nothing.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

Is there an extremely cheap soundcard I could buy to throw in and just use without having to edit anything?

mmm im new in to these scene, in fact ive installed my mactel yesterday. Fortunately, ive chosed wisely:

mobo intel 915GLVGL

pentium 630 HT

DVD burner LG super multi

Flat panel LG 17" monitor

USB Genius luxemate keyboard (only working with PS2 adapter)

USB Genius netscroll mouse

I have installed on my machine 10.4.3 8F1111 DVD patched with Jas 4.2b (8F1111A)

Everything is working perfectly, except for sound input (ALC860 integrated), but afther reading many threads, i still cant understand how to make it work.

By the way does any body knows a guide for using osx?, im a unix/linux (sadly jejeje windows too) guy, and im trying to get this os by the balls (i want a new imac core duo, but first i want to learn to use the os).

Any help would be apreciated, So I will be able enjoy some beers this weekend wit osx :lol:

Cheers!

PS im from mexico, i speak spanish, so sorry for my limited english

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with sound not working after a cold boot. You have to delete the cache files and reboot. On the first reboot it will give you the OS X NEEDS TO RESTART error message, just hit the reset button and it should boot up with working sound again. Unfortunely, my 915 mobo got fried in a lightning storm so I'm stuck with windows for a while(OS X doesn't like my other board) Good luck!

By the way does any body knows a guide for using osx?, im a unix/linux (sadly jejeje windows too) guy, and im trying to get this os by the balls (i want a new imac core duo, but first i want to learn to use the os).

This page has a lot of useful information on OSX, tips, hints, many quite technical -

http://www.macosxhints.com/tigertips.php

1)navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAController/Contents/info.plist

2)add 0x26688086 under <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key><string>0x27D88086 0x26688086</string>

3)save and exit

4)navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/

5)delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

*EDIT* This only seems to work with ICH6

I have ICH6 and the PCI probe shows my audio device is an Intel ICH6 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW chipset. The device ID definitely is 0x26688086.

As a matter of habit, I will also perform this after deleting those cache files: kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions, then reboot.

I did follow all your steps prior to the kextcache and reboot. I still have no audio volume control. I see an HD Audio Output on the Sound output pane, but it says "The selected device has no output controls." And yup the volume slider can't be moved.

I haven't changed AppleHDAController.kext other than what you show here (btw, you left out .kext in your CD command in step 1). Are there any other files changed or deleted here? I'm confused as to why it's not working for me under 10.4.3 8f1111. I did also try copying the posted AppleHDA.kext and repairing permissions after flushing the cache files and nextcache -k'ing. This thing wants to be persnickety!!

I've tried this both with the BIOS setting the chipset features to AC97 and again to Azalia. Both NFG. Any more advice, someone? ;)

You need to make the .kextcache AFTER replacing the AppleHDA.kext and repairing permissions.

(btw, you left out .kext in your CD command in step 1)

Good catch, no one has noticed in the almost 3 months this thread has been around. I made the correction.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There!

It's good to see people up and running with their audio! I'm also trying but having no joy :)

My system is a Shuttle ST20G5, with Realtek ALC880 HD audio. I am using the 10.4.3 (8F1111) with JaS patch 4.2b

I have tried everything in the first post, amending the AppleHDAcontroller, removing the kextcache files, and repairing permissions, but I still get no sign of audio on my system. I've also tried the steps in the wiki for amending the AC97 kext which again shows nothing at all. I go to system profiler and system settings, and it just says that there are no devices. I also tried just replacing the skippyretard amended kext file onto my own without any luck.

Is there anything else I can try? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

J

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem with audio in and line out refusing to work could be related to IOAudioFamily dependency error on the azalia driver. How can we fix the dependency issue? Any ideas Skippyretard (or anyone else for the matter)?

Greetings y'all

Thanks for the all the help, but my realtek audio still refuses to work. I've tried just about everything, patching AppleAC97Audio.kext and AppleHDA.kext/* with pretty much any device id I could find. My specs:

Intel 915GM/PM mobo

Realtek ALC250/Intel High Definition Audio (from what I've determined; possibly wrong)

OS X 10.4.4

(All of this on a portable, Sony Vaio VGN FS760/W)

If anyone has resources I don't, could someone get the exact specs on my machine if possible?

I've tried patching these with manufacturer id's 0x8086 (Intel) and 0x10EC (Realtek), and various pci id's including all mentioned in this forum. AppleAzaliaAudio was not included in the extensions with this release, so I acquired it, loaded it, and got the normal IOAudioFamily depency {censored}, so that's probably not an option.

I've found www.pcidatabase.com to be an excellent resource for finding id's for specific vendors/devices.

Thank y'all...

Finaly audio input (ALC860) thanks go to Hagar. he presented the solution, i was too stupid to see it at first but it's been there all along.

in case you're interested copy AppleHDA.kext from 10.4.3 1099 to 8f1111 edit the info.plist with device ID repair permissions then reboot. Voila sound input

Haha, excellent. Managed to get my ALC250 Audio running. Copied the AppleAzaliaAudio from 10.4.3, but forgot to repair the owner:group. Silly me. Did so, loaded the necessary kext's (Azalia/IOHDAudio/Controller) and I got audio. Very nice, works perfectly so far, but haven't tried mic yet, probably won't since I don't need it.

Now all I need are decent graphics, portability options, and wireless internet :).

AppleHDA 1099 kext works but it's a mess. You get one input and an output that is detected as an input (!), volume slider works very weird (you kinda just get some sound or none) and all seems unusable in audio applications with Core Audio. So, back to azalia for a while...

Oh the wonderful world of audio on mactel!

I'm sorry that didn't work well autoy but it was ok for me (ALC860) though you're right the sliders are virtually useless.

The other thing was that I was able to record some sound which is really what I was after and it went well.

I suppose it's back to the grind

Right I read the all thread, and I it seems that there is currentlu no solution for ICH7. Is that true ?

Poor me :-(

How can you tell if you have ICH6 or ICH7 HD Audio bus?

I have tried everything, but still no success.

When I replace AppleHDA.kext I get a kernel panic on boot, but I can't warm reboot this laptop.

Please can anyone send me possible Azalia, or HDA kexts to try, even just audio out would be great!

PM me for my email address.

Thanks.

Acer Travelmate 8104wlmi 10.4.3 Realtek ALC880

HD Audio Bus 0x26688086 HDAudio 0x10ec0880

If you have 10.4.3 then you should already have Azalia and HDA kexts you use one or the other, though the HDA kext for 8f1111 currently causes a kernel panic for some when modified.

to get details for your hardware open a terminal and execute ioreg -l