The new Tubgirl 10.4.9 pff (for AMD)

dsc106

43 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried this PPF yet? How did it work for them?

I noticed in the notes it says nf430 SATA doesn't work... does this mean out of box, or does it mean that it will not work even after installing the nforce4 sata patch?? (is nf430 the same as nforce 4 sata?)

Any other info? I've got my system running perfect with the JaS 10.4.8 install (system specs in sig) and am just wondering if this has gone smoothly for anyone? Don't want to bother updating if my system compatibility will fall apart...

It's working fine here, patched the day it came out, everything still working after installing netkas's SSE3 Sleep enabled kernel (though sleep dosent seem to be working properly for me).

Could someone else who's used the patch post their xbench CPU score? Mine seems really low but was fine with my old goatsecx ISO, just a suspicion...

A couple of problems here and there ...

AGPGart 2.2 won't load, system freezes.

After a while I am unable to run any application (just bounces in the dock, console says WindowServer crashed), specifically

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   libSystem.B.dylib		  0x90005e95 szone_size + 378

And disk utility does not want to start, just hangs at 'Gathering information...' It is also unkillable from that point on.

Other than that, NVinject+AGPGart 2.1 give full QE/CI/QE2D and AGP support.

My system:

AMD 64 3000+ (SSE2 only)

Gigabyte K8NS-Pro

2512mb DDR 400

320gb SATA

can anyone say whether or not nforce4 SATA support works, after installing the nforce4 sata patch?

Does anyone have an nv40 card (aka geforce 6 or 7 series) working with qe/ci on this update? Does the installer have an option to install titan nv40 support, or does that need to be added seperate?

Jure - what is NVinject and AGPGart? And also, do those affect a PCI-Express card (I don't have an AGP card)?

Xeijin - what are your system specs?

*** And of course, any more reports on your experience with this release? Everyone post up! ***

I would also like to know if nForce4 SATA drives work (eg. booting from the SATA drive).

If not, does the nForce4 SATA TubGirl 10.4.8 patch work? If so, what is the patch order? (eg. TubGirl 10.4.8, then 10.4.9 patch, then serial ata patch??)

Thanks!

This is a ppf patch for OSX_1048_AMD_FINAL MD5 OF THE TARGET: 23820DF582C0615430C9FDA2C3081A79 MD5 DE4262A555315DA02356C7F4950B81DA

AFTER APPLYING THE PPF :

You'll get 10.4.9 + netkas universal sse3/sse2 kernel + secupdate-04 + iTunes 7.1.1 + QuickTime7.1.6 + Java Release5 5.0 THE CPU IN ABOUT THIS MAC SHOWS UP AS A CORE2 LIVE WITH IT SATA DOESN'T WORK on nF430/MCP51 USE PATA NVIDIA 512MB CARDS DON'T WORK / NVIDIA 8xxx DOESNT WORK ATI SUPPORT IS VERY EXPERIMENTAL, YOU'LL PROLLY GET BETTER LUCK WITH NVIDIA MAKE SURE TO LOOK IN THE CUSTOMIZE INSTALLER SECTION DURING INSTALL

This is a ppf patch for OSX_1048_AMD_FINAL MD5 OF THE TARGET: 23820DF582C0615430C9FDA2C3081A79 MD5 DE4262A555315DA02356C7F4950B81DA

AFTER APPLYING THE PPF :

You'll get 10.4.9 + netkas universal sse3/sse2 kernel + secupdate-04 + iTunes 7.1.1 + QuickTime7.1.6 + Java Release5 5.0 THE CPU IN ABOUT THIS MAC SHOWS UP AS A CORE2 LIVE WITH IT SATA DOESN'T WORK on nF430/MCP51 USE PATA NVIDIA 512MB CARDS DON'T WORK / NVIDIA 8xxx DOESNT WORK ATI SUPPORT IS VERY EXPERIMENTAL, YOU'LL PROLLY GET BETTER LUCK WITH NVIDIA MAKE SURE TO LOOK IN THE CUSTOMIZE INSTALLER SECTION DURING INSTALL

Yeah Gurgan, we all read that, and we're not clear. That's why were asking. What's nf430/MCP51 doesn't tell us if nforce 4 sata works after installing the nforce4 patch.

if you do install from dvd sata will dont work i think , I mean you can install ide drive and than you can use your sata drives with darwin nforce4 sata controller(not booting from sata drive). :)

I am using tubgirl 10.4.9 , I didnt get any problem while installing mac os.(Installed 10.4.8 than upgrade to tubgirl 10.4.9 also tried this pff release)

I just installed the Tubgirl 10.4.9 pff update. WOW! I previously had JaS's 10.4.8 installed. I was going to be content with it, but decided to give Tubgirl's update a shot. I noticed an immediate difference in speed and video quality. This update allowed Quartz Extreme and Core Image to work with my nVidia GeForce 6600GT. My hat's off to you developer guys. I don't think there's anything wrong with JaS's update...just Tubgirl works better with mine. Here's my specs:

Biostar NF325-A7 (nForce 250 chipset)

AMD Athlon 3400+

nVidia Geforce 6600GT

512MB RAM (another 512 on the way from Newegg)

I just installed the Tubgirl 10.4.9 pff update. WOW! I previously had JaS's 10.4.8 installed. I was going to be content with it, but decided to give Tubgirl's update a shot. I noticed an immediate difference in speed and video quality. This update allowed Quartz Extreme and Core Image to work with my nVidia GeForce 6600GT. My hat's off to you developer guys. I don't think there's anything wrong with JaS's update...just Tubgirl works better with mine. Here's my specs:

Biostar NF325-A7 (nForce 250 chipset)

AMD Athlon 3400+

nVidia Geforce 6600GT

512MB RAM (another 512 on the way from Newegg)

Did QE/CI work out of the box for you? If not, what drivers did you use?

I just installed 10.4.9 tubgirl on my system (see sig for specs), everything seems to be working, except my 7800gt used to work "out of the box" using the titan nv40 that JaS had included on the installer... but that wasn't an option this time so I need to set it up manually. What did you use? (note that your 6 series and my 7 series are both nv40 chips).

Thanks!

If I update and it does not work can I return back to 10.4.8 somehow or will I have to reinstall 10.4.8 fresh?

For me Jas' 10.4.8 works perfectly out of the box so I dont know if I should risk the update. Im using AMD 4200 X2 (dual core works), X1800XT video, NF4 network controller, and on board sound. SATA works after using a patch.

If anybody want to try it and be able to get back to their present install if it doesn't work, then backup your present osx install.

You can use acronis true image (which can archive the image in 4gb parts or less if you want to backup on a fat32 partition), or the free hatchery by goodtime.

In the future, make a couple of partitions... set aside a 10gb partition that you can use to try new installs and updates. That way you will know if everything on an update works with your computer, and without "risking" anything.

Did QE/CI work out of the box for you? If not, what drivers did you use?

I just installed 10.4.9 tubgirl on my system (see sig for specs), everything seems to be working, except my 7800gt used to work "out of the box" using the titan nv40 that JaS had included on the installer... but that wasn't an option this time so I need to set it up manually. What did you use? (note that your 6 series and my 7 series are both nv40 chips).

Thanks!

It is available. I guess that was my problem...I didn't realize what that "Titan nVidia" option was with JaS's release. If you hit customize when you install, the NV40 patch is under the Hackgroup's option...don't remember EXACTLY what is was called, but I know it's under a group heading such as that. I got me a Samsung 906BW 19" widescreen monitor to go with this beast. I'm in heaven. This is so awesome. A HUGE thanks goes out to all of you guys who help contribute to this project!

Awesome. I can happily report that, on my system (see sig for specs), EVERYTHING works GREAT, out of the box with this new May 6th ppf from TubGirl for 10.4.9. In fact, it works better than the JaS 10.4.8 install worked for me!! Features that were slightly broken are now fixed, and my benchmarks are faster. I have, out of box:

- Sound

- Network

- Nforce4 SATA

- QE/CI (with the "customize" button, and then install the nv40 support)

Awesome!! No complaints, better than before. So if you've got a similar system to mine all you AMD people, been holding back/unsure... get this! Works great!

Awesome!! No complaints, better than before. So if you've got a similar system to mine all you AMD people, been holding back/unsure... get this! Works great!

Sweet...I'm glad to see others are having success. I've been watching fullscreen iTunes movies that I have, resolution 1440x900, and the CPU isn't even cracking 25% and they play as smooth as silk. I was watching some stuff on YouTube with JaS's release (keep in mind I didn't apply his nVidia patch...didn't know to) and the CPU was close to maxing out. And on my G4 iMac, it WAS maxing out and at times got a little choppy. I'm freaking stoked....this is awesome!

Right, the reason for that is the GPU offloads all the work that the CPU had to do before. That is more relevant to the GPU drivers than the 10.4.9 update, however, that is awesome you got that working! It's pretty slick eh?? :P

In order to use the "10.4.9 pff update" must i update the iso image of 10.4.8 release... or is it possible to update directly from the tubgirl's file?

In order to use the "10.4.9 pff update" must i update the iso image of 10.4.8 release... or is it possible to update directly from the tubgirl's file?

Huh? Dload the original 10.4.8 tubgirl ISO. Then patch it using the ppf patch just released by tubgirl.

Yes... i installed from the original 10.4.8.. (as you can see from my signature)

now i patch it and then i'll have an iso-dvd of 10.4.9.. is it right?

What's the roadmap now?is it necessary to perform a clean install (10.4.9 patched) or can i update the 10.4.8 that i have working (like a charme)...

Thanxxx

You have to give more time than an hour to respond...

You will need to do a clean install with the patched .ISO. Well, I suppose you could try and upgrade but I think that would be a bad idea.

Thanks... but how is it possible to upgrade? from the patched iso? Sorry for the "up" but i'm ansious to understand...

I'm sorry I really don't understand your questions. Just patch the ORIGINAL 10.4.8 image with the ppf. CHECK.

Burn the .ISO to a new DVD. CHECK.

Restart computer & boot from the DVD. CHECK.

Installer starts. Repartition/erase your disc (obviously, back up data first). Now install the OS all over again. When you boot it will be 10.4.9

If that doesn't make sense, I can't help you anymore... you'll just have to try it for yourself!