Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

You're THE MAN!!!

An hour ago got my BCM5752 (pci14e4,1600) working like a charm: MAC's - OK, DHCP's - OK, 100M/1000M - OK!!!

For those, desperate Dell Latitude D620 owners, or who esle, by the chance, owns this card - attached 100% working kext.

NB! Place this kext to /System/Library/Extensions AND to the "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins" folder

Do not forget to DELETE existing kext, and "chown/chmod/repare perms" of course!

I'm so happy, 'coz at workplace we don't have WiFi, and at last i can use MY OWN laptop instead this terrible monster, i have here...

:unsure:

(sorry for my english)

THANK YOU!! THANKS TO YOUR FILE MY BROADCOM NETWORK CARD (DEV ID 1600) IS NOW WORKING PERFECTLY!

YEAH!!! B)

THANKS

I guess I'm in the same boat, been searching for hours on end and have come up with nothing. I have a the 5787 but my device id is different then most I've seen on this post, mine is 14e4 169b. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried editing the kext and putting my device id in, and it appears to be connected but I have ba:ad:f0:0d:ba:ad as a mac address. Thanks in advance

seems apple got rid of AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext in snow leopard and left AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext. i tried hex patching the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext but got this:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 1680 getAdapterInfo - Device is unknown

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 getAdapterInfo - init/sanity check of nvram failed

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

thats wher i'm stuck at now so if anybody got an idea please post

• 2 weeks later...
SOME GREAT NEWS FOR M6400 USERS, I HAVE FINALY GOTTEN THE BROADCOM NIC WORKING.

1. make sure your dev id is 14e4 1680.

2. install attached kext with osx86 tools or whatever way you like and reboot.

3. you should now have the ethernet recognized but no internet and a MAC address of all 00's.

4. in windows look up your MAC address and copy it somewhere.

5. in leopard open a terminal and type: sudo ifconfig en0 (it maybe en1 or en2 or en etc.) ether 00:21:70:8A:70:E2 but replace 00:21:70:8A:70:E2 with your MAC address

6. your internet should now connect and be fully working.

you will need to do the command at every startup so just make a script and add it to startup items

I'm currently working on getting it to work in snow leopard and want to know if anyone has the sources for either bcm57xx kexts, that would be most helpful.

if you'd like to help out in the snow leo effort just let me know

Thanks a lot! Mac can now find my network card, but when I try to change the MAC address in step 5 the whole computer freezes, can any one help me?

EDIT: it worked without modifying the MAC address

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there a solution for broadcom 575x snow leopard?

You can still use the Leopard driver, patched as indicated on this thread. But as it's 32bits, it'll only work when booting in 32bits mode (arch=i386 or -x32 depends on the bootloader you are using).

You can still use the Leopard driver, patched as indicated on this thread. But as it's 32bits, it'll only work when booting in 32bits mode (arch=i386 or -x32 depends on the bootloader you are using).

There is no source for this extension? So someone could try to compile it in 64bits??

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

i've read trough the entire thread and still havent found a solution that works for me. I've got a Dell XPS 720 with a Broadcom 5754 and can't get the nic to work.

If anyone has any ideas or could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Info from lspci:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5754

Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

[14e4:167a] (rev 02)

Regards,

Chris

I have the exact same issue with my XPS 720. Any help at all would be appreciated. I'm running iPC 10.5.6 vanilla if that makes any difference.

VEN 14e4 DEV 167a (rev 02)

Hi to all.

Someone can help me?

I have Acer Extensa 5220, with BCM 5787M.

I start SnowLeopard 10.6.1 with arch=i386 , but if I use the BCM5787M.kext from Leopard, in Snow It doesn't work the Shutdown and Restart.

Can you help me?

Sorry for my english errors.

Thank you very very much.

Bye bye.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad that all development has stopped on these drivers. Spent the past year or so waiting for a fix so either sleep would work, or the kext could be unloaded, or en0 turned off without instant complete lockup. No longer expecting any developments, just wanted to express my sadness. Seemed like it was nearly there, functioning well otherwise!

Hallo i'am new at this forum.

And i'am looking for a driver for my broadcom 57xx gigabyte onboard ehternet card.

I'am using a Lenovo and MAC 10.5.7 is there any body you can help me.

Also mac os is new for me so please put some installation guide white it.

Greetings Bart Dirkx

Very sad that all development has stopped on these drivers. Spent the past year or so waiting for a fix so either sleep would work, or the kext could be unloaded, or en0 turned off without instant complete lockup. No longer expecting any developments, just wanted to express my sadness. Seemed like it was nearly there, functioning well otherwise!

the driver in snow leopard 10.6.2 is different....... it support new cards even if still not working, lets see.

btw, it seem they added support for BCM5764M (same as in my laptop) is there any current mac model using it?

atm the driver don't find the nvram, so it don't load, maybe support is still not complete (10.6.3??) or apple ones

has the nvram located at a different memory location. needs investigating.....

Attached kext for 0x14e4:0x167b

Try it and post reply.

Hi

I have a 14e4 167b Broadcom 5755 and did what you had said step by step but I could not install the Lan card. Does anyone had a successful installation of this Kext file?

I am using an Ati chipset motherboiard with an onboard Broadcom 5755 NIC my OS is iDeneb 10.5.6

Also when booting with -v I can not see any specific message about BCM 5755.

Please Help me

I should add that when I use "kextload" command OS can identify Ethernet card until next restart but even with manual IP and DNS I can not connect to network or Internet.

Brothers I need some information. Is that true that a new imacs (i5 and i7) uses by default the bcm5764 Ethernet controller? And if it's so, why is my controller doesn't detected by system? That is what dmesg told me:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 d9 BJP firmware wakeup code unknown

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 67020a02 InitNVRam - found non-5701 with serial eeprom or unbuffered flash

As can I see, controller doesn't pass some test, but first of all its failed at nvram check. Is any one of you can say me how to disable nvram check in the driver. I know there are solution for 10.5 driver to disable nvram check, but in 10.6.2 absolutely different code, so I can not do it without your help.

Brothers I need some information. Is that true that a new imacs (i5 and i7) uses by default the bcm5764 Ethernet controller? And if it's so, why is my controller doesn't detected by system? That is what dmesg told me:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 d9 BJP firmware wakeup code unknown

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 67020a02 InitNVRam - found non-5701 with serial eeprom or unbuffered flash

As can I see, controller doesn't pass some test, but first of all its failed at nvram check. Is any one of you can say me how to disable nvram check in the driver. I know there are solution for 10.5 driver to disable nvram check, but in 10.6.2 absolutely different code, so I can not do it without your help.

hello, the driver isn't so much different in snow leopard, functions are about the same,i have seen too that now they dropped support for some old chips and added the 5764, i have already patched the nvram init and check, but without nvram you can't have the card working properly because of the lack of some vital informations. Using the hexedited driver i can get my 5764M working 50% of the times, the other 50% i get a panic as the driver load. i was trying to add the missing infos writing asm code directly into the driver, but this is not easy at all.

I don't know why the 5764m fail the nvram check, maybe the apple one has a proprietary nvram, or different in size.

hello, the driver isn't so much different in snow leopard, functions are about the same,i have seen too that now they dropped support for some old chips and added the 5764, i have already patched the nvram init and check, but without nvram you can't have the card working properly because of the lack of some vital informations. Using the hexedited driver i can get my 5764M working 50% of the times, the other 50% i get a panic as the driver load. i was trying to add the missing infos writing asm code directly into the driver, but this is not easy at all.

I don't know why the 5764m fail the nvram check, maybe the apple one has a proprietary nvram, or different in size.

Hi nobb1x! It's so good that here is some one who has same problems as me. As I can see you are more powerful in driver's editing, so can I ask you send me your modified driver for bcm5764? I will test it and report about errors. Maybe we will find decision together.

i got the 5761e, and i get the same error for nvram. what else did you edit to skip nvram checks? thanks

i got the 5761e, and i get the same error for nvram. what else did you edit to skip nvram checks? thanks

the 5764 is now officially included in the Apple driver, 5761 is not, there are hardware checks inside the code...

this snap is from GetAdapterInfo, and there are many others.

__text:0000B1CE movzx eax, word ptr [ebx+3CCh]

__text:0000B1D5 cmp ax, 106Bh ; is Apple?

__text:0000B1D9 jz short loc_B229

__text:0000B1DB cmp ax, 14E4h ; is Broadcom??

__text:0000B1DF jz short loc_B229

__text:0000B1E1 movzx eax, ax

__text:0000B1E4 mov [esp+38h+var_28], offset aGetadapterinfo ; "getAdapterInfo - Vendor is unknown"

__text:0000B1EC mov [esp+38h+var_2C], 0

__text:0000B1F4 mov [esp+38h+var_30], 0

__text:0000B1FC mov [esp+38h+var_34], eax

__text:0000B200 mov [esp+38h+var_38], 1

__text:0000B207 call BCM5701EnetIOLog ; BCM5701Enet::KIOLog(uchar,ulong,ulong,ulong,char const*)

__text:0000B20C movzx eax, word ptr [ebx+3CCh]

__text:0000B213 mov [esp+38h+var_2C], offset aGetadapterinfo ; "getAdapterInfo - Vendor is unknown"

__text:0000B21B mov [esp+38h+var_30], 0

__text:0000B223 mov [esp+38h+var_34], eax

__text:0000B227 jmp short loc_B294

__text:0000B229 ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

__text:0000B229

__text:0000B229 loc_B229: ;CODE XREF: BCM5701Enet::getAdapterInfo(void)+9Fj

__text:0000B229 ; BCM5701Enet::getAdapterInfo(void)+A5j

__text:0000B229 movzx eax, word ptr [ebx+3CEh]

__text:0000B230 cmp ax, 1659h ; is BCM5721????

__text:0000B234 jz loc_BCA4

__text:0000B23A cmp ax, 166Ah ; is BCM5780????

__text:0000B23E jz loc_BCA4

__text:0000B244 cmp ax, 1684h ; is BCM5764????

__text:0000B248 jz loc_BCA4

__text:0000B24E movzx eax, ax

__text:0000B251 mov [esp+38h+var_28], offset aGetadapterin_0 ; "getAdapterInfo - Device is unknown"

__text:0000B259 mov [esp+38h+var_2C], 0

__text:0000B261 mov [esp+38h+var_30], eax

__text:0000B265 mov [esp+38h+var_34], 0

__text:0000B26D mov [esp+38h+var_38], 1