Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

Hi all :)

I've got a Dell Precision T7400 workstation, and finally get its broadcom 5754 working :P

(with window$ installed, i find that inside T7400 is a 5754, and probably share more or less the same hardware with a no. of dell products, one of these is the XPS 1730 laptop in the 2nd link below, the only difference being on T7400 the device id is 167a, not 1672)

post-136853-1240736014_thumb.jpg

post-136853-1240736029_thumb.jpg

i get the 2 kexts from here

then modify with ref. to this post

first, i replace 167d with 167a in BOTH the info.plist inside

"AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext"

AND

"AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext inside IONetworkingFamily.kext"

second, with hex editor,

replace all "66 81 FA 7D 16" with "66 81 FA 7A 16",

then "F8 08 75 59" with "F8 08 74 59" of only AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Content/MacOs/AppleBCM5751Ethernet

(i once tried doing the hex replacement also on AppleBCM5751Ethernet inside IONetworkingFamily.kext, but this causes KP)

install the 2 kexts, then the usual repair permissions/clear cache/rebuild cache/touch extensions folder housekeeping stuff :P

reboot, boom! an ethernet adaptor appears in system pref.! :P

i have no problem with the mac address being all 00000000 :P

with DHCP, connect to router and internet fine~ :P

10.6 will probably break sth but who cares now :whistle:

:star_smile:thx for sharing all these wonderful stuff, you guys rock!!! cheers!!! :)

hi, i have the same hardware and i have modified this kext but this kext did no work. Please, can you atach your kext???. tank you

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all ^_^

I've got a Dell Precision T7400 workstation, and finally get its broadcom 5754 working :P

(with window$ installed, i find that inside T7400 is a 5754, and probably share more or less the same hardware with a no. of dell products, one of these is the XPS 1730 laptop in the 2nd link below, the only difference being on T7400 the device id is 167a, not 1672)

post-136853-1240736014_thumb.jpg

post-136853-1240736029_thumb.jpg

i get the 2 kexts from here

then modify with ref. to this post

first, i replace 167d with 167a in BOTH the info.plist inside

"AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext"

AND

"AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext inside IONetworkingFamily.kext"

second, with hex editor,

replace all "66 81 FA 7D 16" with "66 81 FA 7A 16",

then "F8 08 75 59" with "F8 08 74 59" of only AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Content/MacOs/AppleBCM5751Ethernet

(i once tried doing the hex replacement also on AppleBCM5751Ethernet inside IONetworkingFamily.kext, but this causes KP)

install the 2 kexts, then the usual repair permissions/clear cache/rebuild cache/touch extensions folder housekeeping stuff :P

reboot, boom! an ethernet adaptor appears in system pref.! :P

i have no problem with the mac address being all 00000000 :P

with DHCP, connect to router and internet fine~ :P

10.6 will probably break sth but who cares now ^_^

:rolleyes:thx for sharing all these wonderful stuff, you guys rock!!! cheers!!! :D

I have the 5754 card also (device ID of 167a also) but modifying the 5751 kext as above did not work. Well, it worked, but I could not get a DHCP address or net with a static address because of the MAC address being all 0's (this is environment based, as some network routers, etc, will not communicate with devices that have 0 MAC addresses).

So, I modified the 5787 en0 kext in the same way crazy drummer did it to the other one, and got it working, since it then had at least some MAC address.

I just replaced the device id's of 1693 and 1698 to say 167a, in "AppleBCM5787Ethernet.kext" with Plist Editor (turns out nothing is needed to be done inside IONetworkingFamily.kext when the 5787 kext is used).

Then I changed the hex of AppleBCM5787Ethernet.kext/Content/MacOs/AppleBCM5787Ethernet with Find and replace all of "66 81 FA 93 16" with "66 81 FA 7A 16",

then "F8 08 75 59" with "F8 08 74 59"

then "install the 2 kexts, then the usual repair permissions/clear cache/rebuild cache/touch extensions folder housekeeping stuff " :)

ended up with a nonsense MAC of ba:ad:f0:0d:ba:ad that I believe the 5787 kext defaults to, but whatever, it's better than all 0's and going through the process of more hex editing (i didn't know the mac address of the NIC to begin with haha)

but worked like a charm! Couldn't have done it without crazy drummer's and everyone's persistent hacking!

So thanks a ton, and I might as well attach the modified kexts in case someone else has a BCM5754 Broadcom NetXtreme 5754 with device id 167a from an HP 5850. (for the googlers) :P

Peace all, and Good Luck!

AppleBCM5787MEthernet5754.kext.zip

Anyone please help! I own the same exact card as A.A. and I've tried installing his .kext file but I just can't get my ethernet to show up in "Network". Am I installing it wrong??

1) I made sure there were no other instances of AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

2) Commands:

sudo -s

<root password>

cp -r -v ~Desktop/AppleB* /S*/L*/E*/IONet*/C*/Plug*/

rm -v /S*/L*/E*.mke*

diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

Is there something I'm missing? How can I provide you all with more information that shows what I'm missing?

Please - this is the last piece to my extremely frustrating Dell XPS m1710 puzzle!

Thank you.

Anyone please help! I own the same exact card as A.A. and I've tried installing his .kext file but I just can't get my ethernet to show up in "Network". Am I installing it wrong??

1) I made sure there were no other instances of AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

2) Commands:

sudo -s

<root password>

rm -v /S*/L*/E*.mke*

reboot

Is there something I'm missing? How can I provide you all with more information that shows what I'm missing?

Please - this is the last piece to my extremely frustrating Dell XPS m1710 puzzle!

Thank you.

Well I figured out why it wouldn't work. There were some extra files I'm guessing because I downloaded the .kext on a windows based PC?

I now have a functioning ethernet card.

Thanks for the help?

I've got the file I need, I just now need some good step by step instructions on how to install this bad boy. I'm extremely new with Mac OS.

Thank you!

Go to PCwiz Computer's website, and download his OSx86 KEXT installer.

That is the easy way to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

i've read trough the entire thread and still havent found a solution that works for me. I've got a Dell XPS 720 with a Broadcom 5754 and can't get the nic to work.

If anyone has any ideas or could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Info from lspci:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5754

Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

[14e4:167a] (rev 02)

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

I have the BCM 5751 14e4:16d7 on an HP tc4200 with iPC 10.5.7 and it runs ok without a mac adress sofar.

I tried adding sudo ifconfig en0 ether xx to rc.commens / local and I used that script for add to the StartUp-Folder flowing around here.

Also tried to hex the kext with the tip to get auto mac assign and DHCP workng. (By chaning 75 to 74)

But none of these tips works to get a mac adress set nor DHCP working automatically...

Any ideas? Setting the mac manually with sudo ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx... works - buts an annoying way.

Thanks alot! ;)

Haha, it seems that many people are asking for help and getting no reply?

Anyway, I have the same problems.

Broadcom 570x Gigabit Ethernet though in my laptop it only runs at 100mbps - not gigabit. Dell Latitude X300

Dev Inst ID

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_165D&SUBSYS_20031028&REV_01\4&39A85202&0&28F0

Hardware ID

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_165D&SUBSYS_20031028&REV_01

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_165D&SUBSYS_20031028

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_165D&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_165D&CC_0200

Matching Dev ID

pci\ven_14e4&dev_165d&subsys_20031028

14e4,165d is already listed in nisa's applebcm5751ethernet.kext file. However, on startup there is just one message: AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 00-00-00-00-00

Afterwards the card does not display in System Profiler. Plugging in a LAN cable shows nothing. The port does not even blink, or turn orange. It did when I used the stock apple driver but then it complained of a sanity check error. The only thing I see running is my Intel PRO Wireless 2100 card which uses the en1 interface.

• 2 weeks later...

Please can someone help me.

I've installed iAtkos V7 on a Dell Optiplex SX280 everything installed ok.

I'm trying to get the onboard LAN working (Broadcom 57xx Gigabit Ethernet) and have tried to install AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext (AppleBCM5701Ethernet and AppleBCM5751Ethernet) using Kext Helper b7.app and doing it manually - i cannot get the OS to recognise the LAN adapter. once the kext's have been installed i run the repair permissions in disk utilities and reboot but still doesnt work.

Am i doing something wrong?

Am i installing the wrong Kexts?

Can anyone shed some light on to why the OS isnt recognising the adapter??

I have a bad headache from banging my head against a brick wall.

Thanks

Installed the driver to my IBM 8808-94u. w/ Broadcom BCM5787 14e4:169b

modifyed the info adding my device / ven. then modifying the driver using a hexeditor.

Device was found on reboot. status shows as yellow. if I manually configure an IP it goes to green but still no connection.

My mac address is all 00's. When I try to do:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether (Mac address of device)

it returns:

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): network is down.

I have link lights on the nic. Any Ideas?

Did some more testing. When I switch the en0 to off it shows the cable is connected but you computer does not have an IP address

I just got the Internal NIC (14e4:1677) on my Dell D410 to work. After two days I found out that my home network didn´t allow empty MAC addresses. So I tried my Linksys WRT54GS Wireless router.... And it worked...

I used the patched AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip posted in this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=121928

Thank you guys for all your effort in making this work!

Øystein

Attached kext for 0x14e4:0x167b

Try it and post reply.

Hi.. i'm running OSX Server 10.5.7 (updated to 10.5.7 from Hazard Server 10.5.6), and i'm running into this problem with your kext:

Now the MAC Address is correctly displayed inside Network Config, but i have no network connection, i can choose dhcp or set things by hand, but nothing works.. and in logs i found this:

AppleBCM5751Ethernet:		0		0 resetAdapter - FTQ initialization failed
AppleBCM5751Ethernet:		0		0 wakeUp - reset adapter failed
AppleBCM5751Ethernet:		0		0 enable - failed

do you have any clue on this?? maybe i'm doing something wrong, i have copied your kext inside Extensions folder ex-novo! ;)

Hey i have a Dell Latitude D620

I would like my Wifi to work on my Hackintosh. I have version 10.5.6 Installed on my D620. Everything works fine, but i would like my Wifi to work.. Does anyone know how i can make this work???

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Hi.. i'm running OSX Server 10.5.7 (updated to 10.5.7 from Hazard Server 10.5.6), and i'm running into this problem with your kext:

Now the MAC Address is correctly displayed inside Network Config, but i have no network connection, i can choose dhcp or set things by hand, but nothing works.. and in logs i found this:

AppleBCM5751Ethernet:		0		0 resetAdapter - FTQ initialization failed
AppleBCM5751Ethernet:		0		0 wakeUp - reset adapter failed
AppleBCM5751Ethernet:		0		0 enable - failed

do you have any clue on this?? maybe i'm doing something wrong, i have copied your kext inside Extensions folder ex-novo! :lol:

Same problem here : iAtkos v7 and tried to install the BCM5755M.zip.

09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1673] (rev 02)

BTW, I'll try to do as suggested :

How to install:

- remove all occurrences of AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext from both /System/Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

- extract attached .zip anywhere (let's say - to the Desktop) and make sure this is the only file, starting with the "AppleB"

- in terminal:

sudo -s

<root password>

rm -v /S*/L*/E*.mke*

reboot

Then boot with the "-v" switch and post here all occurrencies with the "AppleBCM5751Ethernet"

SOME GREAT NEWS FOR M6400 USERS, I HAVE FINALY GOTTEN THE BROADCOM NIC WORKING.

1. make sure your dev id is 14e4 1680.

2. install attached kext with osx86 tools or whatever way you like and reboot.

3. you should now have the ethernet recognized but no internet and a MAC address of all 00's.

4. in windows look up your MAC address and copy it somewhere.

5. in leopard open a terminal and type: sudo ifconfig en0 (it maybe en1 or en2 or en etc.) ether 00:21:70:8A:70:E2 but replace 00:21:70:8A:70:E2 with your MAC address

6. your internet should now connect and be fully working.

you will need to do the command at every startup so just make a script and add it to startup items

I'm currently working on getting it to work in snow leopard and want to know if anyone has the sources for either bcm57xx kexts, that would be most helpful.

if you'd like to help out in the snow leo effort just let me know

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

BigPimpin: Well, his laptop does have a 5906M card, which has been talked about on and off in this thread. I am still trying to figure out how to get it to work, but, AFAIK, no one has. Has anyone yet figured out the 5906M?

Dear plz tell me if u've found something regarding Broadcom 5906M Ethernet drivers or to use in hackintosh. Alas i couldn't find yet.

Regards,

Salman