Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

Finally working on a Dell D610 Laptop (ID 1677)

Many thanks to Lowlife re the nisa-it post and download.

Working great when I first ran kextload and manually set the IP - but on the first reboot the system froze up completely.

At least I know it works, just need to figure out why it's freezing now.

Any news related to the zero mac address problem? I have the same laptop and using 10.4.9 on it about a month, didn't get to have a mac address yet. Did you get any way to have mac address?

BTW, we should open a DELL D610 thread.

hi all, i got my 5751/5752m (dev1677) working in leopard now, but with only 00:00:00:00:00:00 mac,

and to low-life, your method is very very interesting, and insightful ;)

but i found a solution which does not require so lightning fast typing, thats,

after the kext loaded, just type this in console

sudo ifconfig en0 192.168.0.111

or any ip address you like, then this command has the same effect as the system preference does.

hope this helps, and hope we all could find a solution to over come that 00*6 problem.

copied the .kext file into the extensions folder of my acer travelmate 3012 with Broadcom BCM5789 Vendor-Id/device-id: 14e4/169d, but nothing changed??

there came some "authenticate" and overwrite messages with password boxes... i clicked them through so that file must be fine under the correct folder. repaired permission via disk util... rebootet - but there is no lan card in my about this mac :-(

it's a kalyway v1.4i rev3 10.4.10...

any ideas? what shall i post for help?

Ok, here is the deal. I have setup my Broadcom network card. I can access the internet now via a webbrowser and anything. Only thing not working is browsing networkshares.

So I have to use the setmac script I found in this thread. This is not working for me since it has to be executed as root.

So what I do now is the following.

I open terminal and type in:

su

(password)

ifconfig en0 ether my:ma:ca:dd:re:ss

Then after I execute this command i can access all networkshares and copy files etc etc. Thing is, it is ok to do some times, but after a while it gets boring, how can I automate this command so i don't have to go over this all time when I login.

Thanks in advance

Cupe

You can make a script using the macosx automator under /Aplications or you can make a script by yourself and launch it under the preferences/user/startup items.

By the way, which version of the driver have you installed? the version for 57xx i'm using hangs while i try to set up the mac address

• 2 weeks later...

Nisa-it,

Edit: Okay, It doesnt work. I dont even have a MAC Address (not even 00:00:00:00:00:00)

Leopard is constantly telling there's no cable connected at the build-in ethernet (network settings)...

But the wierd thing is that, it IS connected..

ifconfig returns:

Macintosh:~ root# ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
lladdr 00:24:1b:00:16:5a:3c:00 
media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>

Good morning all! I am, as so many are, new to the forums and am seeking any help that may come my way so I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post. Here is my specific problem:

I have a fresh install of uphuck v1.4i r3 on a HP NC2400 laptop. The laptop uses an onboard Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet controller (14E4 169C). I have installed Nisa-it's AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext and the NIC is detected however, as has come to be expected with many cards, the MAC address displays all 0's. I can get the adapter working but am looking to simplify the process of doing so. These are the steps I am currently taking to enable the hardware:

(In Terminal)

sudo -s

ifconfig en0 ether MY:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS

I recieve the following error:

ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Network is down

I then bring the network up using:

ifconfig en0 up

I can then change my MAC address using the first command:

ifconfig en0 ether MY:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS

After these steps are taken I can verify that my MAC address has been changed successfully by running ifconfig however 'Network Utility' still shows all 0's and the system will not connect to the internet until I enter the following command:

ipconfig en0 BOOTP

This change will not hold through a reboot. What can I do to either permanently change my MAC address, or simplify this process? I hope I have been clear enough in my explanation and again, I thank you for any help that may come my way. Take Care.

Hi Gellius31,

you don't have to patch anything...

If you have other device-id as i am post before, please post ist here...

I would like to expand the list of supported chips

best regards...

Homar

How does one check their device-id? I have a Dell D820, and I still havent been able to get my network running on it. It doesnt appear in the network device list on the system preferences panel.

It looks like and upgrade of this driver is not expected and the zero mac address problem is not going to be resolved.is there anyway to get the sources and try to compile them to have a hardcoded mac address?

Maybe customizing a mac address in the driver like mac spoofing could be a solution to avoid the zero mac address for passing through network switches.

Cool guys, I finally got my BCM 5721 builtin card with the BCM5751Ethernet.kext to work on my DELL SX280.

Unfortunatly I cannot have the kext in the Extensions directory as it crash the system but I realized that if I load the kext after the boot it work great.

I have put an new plist in the LaunchDaemon to do the kextload and that works fine.

What left to do is the MAC address which is 00:00:00:00:00:00 but it still work on our network due to our configuration.

What I also found, is that using that mac address allow me to have free internet access in some internet cafe!!! Yep, won't work everywhere but all of them that uses the MAC address as the ID of the client computer will most probably let you thru without getting their loggin page... therefore Free Internet Access!!!

that works especially for e z e x c e s s from a n t l a b s (dont spread the news!! if you still want to enjoy free internet !! :-)

:P:D:D

Hi Folks,

the second try for getting Broadcom 5751 (1677) works.

Now MacOS can read the correct mac-adress and works several under DHCP and manually setting IP.

i'd be pleasure, if getting some response how it works on other system then my.

best regards...

Homar

....sorry for my bad english

How_to:

1. unpack AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

2. copy AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

3. open Terminal

4. sudo -s

5. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

6. chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

7. reboot

does this driver support Leopard??

Thanks

hey all

has any one figured out a fix on how get around "Network is down" when you are trying to set the mac address?

and do i use the mac address i got from doing "ipconfig/all" in windows OR do i use the mac address from my router's page??

they are 2 different one...

thanks

Hi Guys,

I have been reading all posts for last 3-4 months to get around my problem of getting on network. here are some details.

I have successfully installed Leopard 10.5.0 + later the 10.5.1 patch with original ToH image. My machine details are below:

Dell PowerEdge SC1430 with 2 Xeon 3.00 GHz CPUs, 4GB PC5300 FB-DIMM, ATI RN50 (ES1000) graphics, Broadcom 5750A1 ( BCM5750A1) Gigabit Ethernet Card, added Creative X-Fi Sound Card.

I just first want to get my machine on the network ....

I applied AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext and patched string to my device id 1677 (correctly) .... My Network Adapter is not even detected on the PCI-X bus

The All Messages option in the Console Log shows below:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet:		  0			 0	getAdapterInfo - Broadcom 5701 ethernet card installed in a PCI-X bus: unsupported configuration
AppleBCM5701Ethernet:		  0			 0	start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up
IOCommonGate::disable() called when not gated
Backtrace 0x41bed6 0x5da946aa 0x3e810c 0x3e81d9 0x4164af 0x4164e6 0x413c24
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.iokit.AppleBCN5701Ethernet(2.2.3b1)@0c5da93000->0x5daa7fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4)@0x54689000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.6.0)@0x5d62d000

I also created the link to com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily and added device pci14e4,1677 into the Info.list

Anybody can help resolving this ????

Also, Is there a work around for ATI ES1000 (aka RN50) to get on higher resolutions ?

Thanks a lot in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for Broadcomm BCM5787A Gigabit Ethernet driver (devid: 0x1693). I'm very far into installing IATKOS 1.0 r2 onto Acer Extensa 5620 laptop- getting ethernet running is last critical step. Any help would be appreciated.

I've tried the following but no success:

- used Broadcom Ethernet kext (AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip)

- Drop you new .kext file ( driver ) in extensions then delete your .kextcache and .mkext

- open terminal,

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

- then repair permissions.

any help is appreciated.

mabre,

Try *BCM57* and *IO*Home*Network* kexts from Kalyways Leopard 10.5.1 DVD rip ... It works fine for my broadcom gigabit card.

If I can extract the files, I would be happy to attach them for you

rest of the steps remain the same

Thanks

luv2rip

luv2rip, thanks for your reply. I've tried to find "BCM57* and *IO*Home*Network* kexts" on Kalyways Leopard 10.5.1, with no success. Any further hints/assistance is appreciated- can you extract???

I've also tried to install Kalyway- but seems to crash on X3100 video (which the laptop has).

Any assistance appreciated...

Thanks Nisa-itI have the bcm5755 on a Dell D830 and had to add the device add to your info.plist and works 100%14e4:1673added it above your 14e4:1677 id.I am confused I see the next id below the 1677 as 1648? should that be in a numerical order or it really does not matter?

Hi Folks,the second try for getting Broadcom 5751 (1677) works.Now MacOS can read the correct mac-adress and works several under DHCP and manually setting IP.i'd be pleasure, if getting some response how it works on other system then my.best regards... Homar....sorry for my bad englishHow_to:1. unpack AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip2. copy AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/3. open Terminal4. sudo -s5. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/6. chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext7. reboot
Nisa-it bcm5755M 14e4:1673 Id works 100% on Dell Latitide D830.Just added the id above your 14e4:1677.I noticed just below that id you have 14e4:1648 isn't that out of numerical order or does that matter?Nisa-it bcm5755M 14e4:1673 Id works 100% on Dell Latitide D830.Just added the id above your 14e4:1677.I noticed just below that id you have 14e4:1648 isn't that out of numerical order or does that matter?

Nisa-it or whoever can help. bcm5755 id=14ee4:1673 from a Dell Latitude D830.

It seems as though my adaptor will not enable. Here is my dmesg:

BCM5751Enet: Ethernet address 00:1d:09:b5:f0:f5

AirPort_Brcm43xx: Ethernet address 00:1e:4c:31:26:07

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 resetAdapter - FTQ initialization failed

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 wakeUp - reset adapter failed

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 enable - failed

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 enable - failed7

ifconfig -a

en1: flags=8823<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether 00:1d:09:b5:f0:f5

media: autoselect (<unknown type>)

supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>

So as you can see it is assigning a Mac address so all goes well there. Then the initialization part is not working. I even turned my airport off even switched en0 with en1. RIght now en1 is assigned to Ethernet and en0 assigned to wlan.