Acronis Disk Director now fully Vista Compatible

14 posts in this topic

Acronis might not really have that support completely fleshed out yet. I have version 10 (build 2,117,) which I'm almost positive should fully support Vista, but have had no such luck. Also, I've found reports in the Acronis support forums of Vista still not being recognized. Here's what gets me, Acronis, the guys that SHOULD have all the answers, approach their befuddled customers much like the White House approaches sex scandal allegations! In fact they are quite distant and offer very little help and instead of simply admitting that they don't know what is going on (or care) they take quite a while to compose a half arsed response to their customers, telling them "Thank you for using Acronis Disk Director Suite and the Acronis Support Forums! The new version fully supports Vista....." Blah blah blah, garbage! Well WTF Acronis, we know it is SUPPOSED TO work... but please for god sake tell me why it's not working and help me to fix it!

In conclusion, anyone reading this who HAS had success with the newer AOSS versions recognizing Vista. PLEASE, prove me wrong and tell me your configuration and how you managed to make it work :angel_not: I have decided to quit trying to use AOSS and move on to other booting methods like GRUB (which are MUCH faster anyways... AOSS was a slug.) SO, while AOSS satisfied my multi-boot needs for some time, my needs have now changed, as have many others, and Acronis has not kept up. :D:P

diskdirector 2117 was not officially supporting vista, although some could install it under certain conditions, and some functionalities were working well.

true, they are quite discrete on their official forum; they mostly reserve customer service on a one-to-one basis outside the forum; that way they ensure giving service to legitimate (non-pirate) users... they expect other users to answer most questions :unsure:

but for me aoss did work in recognizing vista, in a real config, but also many times in vmware systems. i didn't do anything special.

as for grub, well, do go for it: it's (somewhat) simpler and quicker, and you might get more help when there's a problem. for those who have linux, there's not much need for another bootloader.

Well I suppose that's smart on their part because I would say a large amount of people on their forums looking for help may have pirated their software... So why would they give thorough help in such an open evironment...

Question :censored2: Have you had experience tribooting Vista/OSX/XP? I've followed guides on it but have always run into issues. I guess my question now would be; Would it be wise to install vista first so that its the first os and sees no need to install it's boot manager (because it really sucked and gave me numerous issues :whistle: )

MuSiklyINcLINED.gif

i tried ADD10 and AOSS, hated both. ADD is incapable or merging partitions, and the alteration time for all other functions is slow as sin. AOSS is an absolute slug. tried it for a day, then uninstalled it, thinking i'd use GRUB instead... NOPE. The removal corrupted my boot sector and i had to reinstall all three of my OS (xp, vista, ubuntu) to get things running again. xp and vista repair efforts were utterly ineffective

blah @ acronis

Have you had experience tribooting Vista/OSX/XP?
xp and vista always install their boot managers: we just don't notice them when there's only one os installed.

For triple-booting without redundancy with two win-type os'es, you have to hide the first while installing the second, so they can boot independently; also make active the partition on which you want to install the second beforehand. After the second win install, you can unhide the first (if you want). That way, each of the windows only boots one windows, and later when the darwin loader, or grub, or AOSS, will boot one of these, there won't be a second boot menu to chose which windows.

That might not solve all the problems with double/triple/multi-booting, but at least it makes the booting part simple (less redundancy).

And if you install AOSS, do so on a non-system partition (fat32 even); eg a small logical partition in front of the extended partition. Also disable cd drivers in AOSS to make it load faster.

Does the book load look any better because I was so disappointed when I got this

Pic11.jpg

It's juat takes too long to pick up the mouse and select the OS you want. And using teh keyboard isn't really great.

And also what was the need to add all the menu options right there too when all you want to do is choose which OS you want to go into. It just clutters the screen. Ideally you should have to press F6 or something to get menu options.

Can't believe I'm going to say this but the back and white Darwin bootloader looks better.

I agree about preferring text based bootloaders (darwin's, grub, ntldr, etc): simpler, faster...

As for your questions concerning AOSS:

• disabling the cd boot options in the startup options will speed up the loading, although not as fast as a text-based loader:
    • Tools, then Options...
    • then go in Startup Options.
    • There you'll find a checkbox followed by "Do not load CD-ROM drivers". Check the box, and see if you get better time loading OSS.

[*]you can chose the "full-screen" boot menu, where there's no toolbar, menu options, etc, only the os boot selections;

[*]refer to the user manual to get more information on the product;

[*]for a OSX icon, check my guide for changing the icon; use Method 3 if you have AOSS 10.0.2160. You can also change the Acronis background image for full-screen mode; check the beginning of the thread i just linked.

(btw aceplayer, the vmware guide helped?)

I agree about preferring text based bootloaders (darwin's, grub, ntldr, etc): simpler, faster...

As for your questions concerning AOSS:

• you can chose the "full-screen" boot menu, where there's no toolbar, menu options, etc, only the os boot selections;
  • refer to the user manual to get more information on the product;
  • for a OSX icon, check my guide for changing the icon; use Method 3 if you have AOSS 10.0.2160. You can also change the Acronis background image for full-screen mode; check the beginning of the thread i just linked.

(btw aceplayer, the vmware guide helped?)

Dude, you're like a serious mind reader. I have been wondering if there was a way to get a OS X icon for a while now but just thought there was no chance. Going to start reading through your guide to get that done now. Also I'll look through the "full-screen" menu. Didn't know they had one. Where about is how you change the background? I couldn't find it.

cbmkgd, I had no idea that anyone had replied to my thread (normally get email notifications but got nothing). The post looks brilliant and I just want to thank you for 1. taking the time to help me out and 2. showing me that you'd posted it. I'm going to look through it and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot mate. Appreciate it. :P

EDIT: OMG cbmkgd full screen looks so pretty. I can't believe it. Thanks a lot dude.

I've noticed that when in Acronis my mouse moves really fast (another reason using the mouse is annoying). I've looked into all the input options and none of them helped. I think it's more to do with my system than with Acronis because a while back I used a DOS GUI program to format my system and there too the mouse moved fast where as on my friends it was fine. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Where about is how you change the background? I couldn't find it.
T'was on the first page.

Anyway, the file name (once unzipped the zip appendice) is bootmenu_logo.png. Just use an image of same name and format, putting whatever you like instead of the acronis stuff (eg blank).