iPhone on Vodafone?

12 posts in this topic

According to American Technology Research Analyst Shaw Wu, Vodafone is very close to closing a deal with Apple to become the carrier for the iPhone in Europe:

“Our sources indicate that Vodafone is most likely iPhone’s carrier partner for Europe...We believe Vodafone’s 200 million subscriber base (compared to 61 million for AT&T, its USA partner), broad country coverage, and investment in advanced technologies make it a strong fit for Apple.”

A somewhat more obscure rumour involving two guys in a bar in Amsterdam hints that Vodafone may already be working on iPhone integration.

Whatever the truth, it seems that we're not likely to see the iPhone in Europe until late this year, and according to BusinessWeek the US launch may well be later than expected:

"Various iPhone suppliers have been told that the iPhone may not be available until the end of June, according to Jagdish Rebello, an analyst with iSuppli, a market intelligence firm in Silicon Valley."

No! Vodaphone sucks imo. Their customer support is awful I've heared, and they aren't really as trusted as a company as Orange or O2 here in the UK.

T-Mobile would be good too, but they are also in the US so that would affect AT&T I guess.

-tj

damn that would really suck... vodaphone is SFR in France, and that's the worst operator in the country, if not technologically, at least from a marketing point of view (advertising, old image, etc.), that would in NO way be compatible with Apple.

If I was Apple, I wouldn't want to see my image and iPhone associated with SFR.

I would also HATE having to switch from my current operator and subscribe to SFR to be able to get an iPhone!

I couldn't see orange with apple as they released those SPV's and other microsoft phones, O2 have a contract with microsoft for pda type phones so that's a no no, T-mobile have the blackberries and some other microsoft stuff, vodafone would have seemed the logical choice for the UK at least.

Second place T-mobile, as their coverage in Europe when I've travelled has been absolutely amazing.

Still doesn't stop the iPhone from being a way too overpriced {censored} block though :-(

I'd rather leopard any day

Vodafone does't suck so much! At least it's acceptable! But I think iPhone will be overpriced here in Europe! On the other hand I don't prefer BBS (which presents Apple for Bulgaria) to sell this phone 'couse their prices are so huge and overpriced in compersion to the american market! For example a Macbook which costs 1099$ in America, here in Bulgaria is 1569$, thanks to BBS! I hope that Vodafone's prices won't be so different from the american one's!

Please not vodaphone. I swear that's one of the most expensive networks available in the UK. I've Orange, O2 and even 3 but I don't really want to have to go to Vodaphone.

Damn you Apple!!!

No! Vodaphone sucks imo. Their customer support is awful I've heared, and they aren't really as trusted as a company as Orange or O2 here in the UK.

T-Mobile would be good too, but they are also in the US so that would affect AT&T I guess.

-tj

well, sorry to hear that.

i´m pretty happy with it as i have a contract with d2 in germany which is vodafone since a long time - never had problems with support ;-)

O2 would really suck, nobody likes that crappy provider, i know nobody...

when I said Europe I meant, outside the UK :P

In the UK their signal well it's a bit patchy but Customer Support has always been very good towards me, always had UK Call centres answer within 5 minutes hold time and at times have given me lots of money off and free handsets when mine have broken even though I wasn't due for an upgrade :(

Vodafone have one of the best signals in the UK (far exceeding O2, T-Mobile and 3 (3 if I remember correctly is statistically the worst phone company with coverage, price rates, customer support and reliability, a lot of my friends who had 3 had billing issues countless times)

Vodafone are aimed more towards businesses as someone correctly stated earlier, they also have a deal with BT/O2 to provide signal coverage to businesses (I know this as my father had lots of problems once his company switched their phone deal from vodafone to BT/O2, after countless complaints they are now on BT Vodafone Contracty thing)

Still, i doubt it would be long until the highstreets can unlock it and you can use it on any provider :)

I actually like Vodaphone Portugal and I have only good things to say about their customer support.

For instance, if you go to one of their stores to do something (charge your pre-paid card, etc), there's a good chance some days later you'll be contacted by the headquarters to ask you how was the service, if you have any complaints or suggestions...