thedopefishlives

483 posts in this topic

ok, final update for this year: the driver has indeed support

for OLD and NEWMAP. which is quite nice. still, the driver is

very complicated, hunderds of routines acessing the memory etc

i dont know if just overwriting the pcie-gart routine to do the right

think will work. nonetheless it would need extensive testing,

which takes usually ages..

so i dont think the driver will work anytime soon... (summer 08?)

ok, final update for this year: the driver has indeed support

for OLD and NEWMAP. which is quite nice. still, the driver is

very complicated, hunderds of routines acessing the memory etc

i dont know if just overwriting the pcie-gart routine to do the right

think will work. nonetheless it would need extensive testing,

which takes usually ages..

so i dont think the driver will work anytime soon... (summer 08?)

As I already work on Radeon IGP driver during half a year I think summer 08 is a good estimation.

I have a misunderstanding with memory configuration and looking for any advice.

As I know from AGPGart investigations Video driver can works with agp gart table and with PCI gart table with only the speed difference. So if we write a 200M driver working with PCI gart table instead of IGP gart table it would be not a big loss.

I need explanation about Radeon chip registers

0x170 - RADEON_AGP_BASE

0x174 - RADEON_AGP_CNTL

0x1c0 - MPP_TB_CONF

0xf8 - CONFIG_MEMSIZE

0x14c - MC_AGP_LOC (MEM_INTF_CNTL)

0x178 - MEM_IO_CNTL_A0

0x17c - MEM_IO_CNTL_AB

0x910

0x19e4

0x402c

0x4018

0x42c8

These registers are used for R300-R420 for initial configuration.

Moreover registers 0xf8 and 0x14c set by BIOS before video driver.

Any help?

RV630 Register Reference Guide may be helpful for you (first oficial ATI GPU documentation batch).

Debugging the Radeon 200M command processor (a thread in linux DRI devel forums)

sorry i can't do more for you now, i'm still searching for more info.

Thank you! You are very useful so now I am obliged to make a driver for you... I shall try.

RV630 has a different set of registers but with some similarities.

What I found:

I know that 9700 driver uses regs 30, 34 as indirect registers for install gart table for chip RV420.

Linux's hackers said about regs 168, 16c for Radeon 200m. Are they successful?

In the new documentation I see again indirect registers 30, 34!!! Let linux go the own way!

9700 driver uses reg 0xAB0 as Gart address for R300 chip.

In the new documentation it is undefined but the group Axx is DMA registers. As I know Gart translation is DMA operation. It is a good variant for Radeon 200M.

Happy New Year everybody users of ATI Mobility Express 200M !

we are having some very good news from Slice team, look for yourself:

post-52558-1199429737_thumb.png post-52558-1199429744_thumb.png post-52558-1199429751_thumb.png

first picture represent 200M with SidePort only memory mode configured in BIOS.

second picture represent 200M with UMA only memory (32M) mode configured in BIOS.

third picture represent 200M with UMA only memory (128M) mode configured in BIOS.

this pictures are based on ATISlice.kext + ATIRadeon9700.kext combination

(PCIID's must be fixed manually, but you are welcomed to provide yours to be added)

the work is far away from the finish yet, however...

following side effects and features absence discovered:

- SidePort mode is slowing down for every 1-2 seconds (for unknown yet reason)

- UMA 32M runs out of video memory too fast (single Safari session cause serious slow-down looks like a swap activity)

- UMA 64M not verified yet (you may do it and then report results)

- UMA 128M cause Safari scroll malfunction (only 15% of bottom view area actually scrolled down, only 15% of top view area actually scrolled up)

it's a common malfunction of all dialogs using SmartTextViewer control element.

(System Profiler for example use same control element for bottom-right corner subwindow of it's dialog)

- screen saver does not accelerate yet at all

- resolution change not supported yet

Wow! Incredible work, Slice. Simply incredible.

I've got Leopard now, so I think I'll download that thingie from the link you posted a few pages back and give you my results from that. I hope they help in some way - you've just gotten me extremely excited! No, more than that!

My device ID, by the way, is 5955, though I guess you don't need to know that since it's the one you're working with! :D

this pictures are based on ATISlice.kext + ATIRadeon9700.kext combination

(PCIID's must be fixed manually, but you are welcomed to provide yours to be added)

the work is far away from the finish yet, however...

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

DEV ID = 5A62

I'm installing Leopard and Ubuntu right now on my laptop to start running pciutils, etc, to try and help out.

I'm so excited that there might be a way to get my 200M working!

Attachment at post #307

explanation to test at #310

here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1235&st=307

Take into account that it is test version. I am waiting for your reports with different settings.

For AGP gart-width=32

for PCIE gart-width=64

Is there anybody have an idea what keys may be added to info.plist to be more close to original Mac?

Attachment at post #307

explanation to test at #310

here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1235&st=307

Take into account that it is test version. I am waiting for your reports with different settings.

For AGP gart-width=32

for PCIE gart-width=64

Is there anybody have an idea what keys may be added to info.plist to be more close to original Mac?

So even though you specified Radeon 9xxx, 200m (might) work too?

As you see with Ole2 report!

Awesome. Well, I gave it a go, and the kext doesn't even load... Am I maybe missing something?

I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly. Also, should I remove Callisto first?

I changed my device ID to 5955, and since it shows up as PCIE in System Profile, changed the width to 64.

Awesome. Well, I gave it a go, and the kext doesn't even load... Am I maybe missing something?

I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly. Also, should I remove Callisto first?

I changed my device ID to 5955, and since it shows up as PCIE in System Profile, changed the width to 64.

It would be better to remove Callisto but I am not sure that it is a problem.

Give me file

sudo dmesg >dmesg.txt

Installed the kext, but nothing happened. I edited it to include my device ID, 5955. Should I have done so? It seems like the computer now detects the presence of 8MB of VRAM, but nothing more. Still no QE/CI, although I can tell that the kext was definitely loading when I booted -v, as more info on the 200m and my monitor came up than usual.

Should I have AGPGart installed or something? All I have is Callisto, nothing else. Should I remove Callisto and see what happens? I think I will. If my display still works without Callisto, I'll get rid of it for good and simply continue testing your kext as it releases.

I went back and changed the ID in ATIRadeon9700.kext. Still no dice.

The system is just ignoring the files... like with a lot of my extensions.

You probably have encryption system that I dunno...

Installed the kext, but nothing happened. I edited it to include my device ID, 5955. Should I have done so? It seems like the computer now detects the presence of 8MB of VRAM, but nothing more. Still no QE/CI, although I can tell that the kext was definitely loading when I booted -v, as more info on the 200m and my monitor came up than usual.

Have you ATIRadeon9700.kext?

Should I have AGPGart installed or something?

No, you have PCIE so you need no AGPGart

All I have is Callisto, nothing else. Should I remove Callisto and see what happens? I think I will. If my display still works without Callisto, I'll get rid of it for good and simply continue testing your kext as it releases.

You both have Callisto. May be this is a problem?

I do have ATIRadeon9700.kext. Is that bad? Or should I alter my device ID into the kext or something?

I tried with and without Callisto. Some strange things occurred with the VRAM recognition. With Callisto, the system detects 8MB of VRAM. Without Callisto, it detects all 128MB. However, even though it says it's there, when I try to install Logic Studio 8 it says I have 0MB of VRAM.

Without Callisto, the name of the card in the system profiler changes from "ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M (PCIE)" to "ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M (RS400) (PCIE)". Is there a significance to the RS400?

QE/CI didn't work in both methods. Also, without Callisto I was only able to set my resolution as 1024x768. EDIT: I see now that this is a not-yet-implemented feature. :D

EDIT2: I realized that I never set the width to 64 since this is a PCIe card. However, doing so does nothing both with and without Callisto.

I do have ATIRadeon9700.kext. Is that bad? Or should I alter my device ID into the kext or something?

I tried with and without Callisto. Some strange things occurred with the VRAM recognition. With Callisto, the system detects 8MB of VRAM. Without Callisto, it detects all 128MB. However, even though it says it's there, when I try to install Logic Studio 8 it says I have 0MB of VRAM.

Without Callisto, the name of the card in the system profiler changes from "ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M (PCIE)" to "ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M (RS400) (PCIE)". Is there a significance to the RS400?

QE/CI didn't work in both methods. Also, without Callisto I was only able to set my resolution as 1024x768.

EDIT: I realized that I never set the width to 64 since this is a PCIe card. However, doing so does nothing both with and without Callisto.

Too many questions. I gather informations but didn't propose you a final solution. I work.

I think 9700 needs to be binary patched as I said before.

VRAM=8Mb - is it true according your hardware? I think no. So Callisto is wrong. Memory configuration is the main purpose of ATISlice but in next version soon.

Name of the card is gived as by Callisto so as ATISlice. If you want I can write "Bill Gates" for your DeviceID. :P

Without Callisto you can't change resolution. It is a main function of Callisto as well as ATINDRV or RadeonFB. For now it is not my aim.

About width I think driver can work in both cases but with different speed.

QE/CI didn't work. It is pity. May be you need also use another versions of ATIRadeon9700* and OpenGL.framework :(

Just got back from Time Machine... this kext messed up my install, I think. I'm not mad at you :), I hope this helps somehow. Read for details:

Alright, yesterday, I had Callisto b003 running perfect for me... perfect, changeable resolution, but no QE/CI. I had ATIRadeon9700.kext, but not running at boot.

So here's my procedure from then, and what happened afterwards:

I downloaded ATISlice.kext.tar.gz. Unzipped, and changed the device ID to 5955. Installed it properly, rebooted. And nothing. The kext didn't even load.

Then, I saw I needed to change the device ID in Radeon9700. Did that, rebooted, and neither kext loaded.

I did some Googleing on how to make a kext load at boot. I came across something that said you need to add to the plist:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>

EDIT: Don't add this code, it loads the kext even in safe mode.

So I did that to both kexts. Still didn't open at boot. So then I got to playing with kernel flags, and remembered -f.

-f allowed the kexts to force-load, and be added to Extensions.mkext on next startup. On boot, in verbose mode, I saw something like "ATIRadeon9700.kext dependencies could not be determined... or something. ATISlice also loaded... I saw it pick up the card, do something with GART, and show a bunch of 0's with some other number, in an array, like this:

0003x0 03948 00928 0000 000x49

0x9484 00394 10030 85900 93800

It was like four lines long. I'm assuming that's normal, though... drivers, lol.

It also said it would open with VGA, which it didn't. I got a VGA: matching specific fails. or whatever.

Then along came Callisto. It did it's thing, I log in, open System Profiler, and see still no QE/CI, and only 8MB of VRAM. My system with just Callisto shows 32MB. So, I thought about deleting Callisto. Did that, rebooted, and nothing was different except Callisto didn't load. Obviously.

When I got to the Finder... everything was insanely slow. I would move the mouse, the cursor would dissappear, and show up like 20 seconds later. But I was determined. It took nearly 10 minutes to get System Profiler up, and the name showed "ATI Radeon x200m PCIE (RS400), with 256MB VRAM. The resolution was 1024x768, 32-bit, but still no QE/CI. I wanted to see if changing the mode would enable it but... the system was just too slow, I couldn't do it. I also knew replacing Callisto would prolly fix it, but I have a backup and just used that.

One thing has come to mind.. I forgot to change the gart-width to 64. Could that possibly do what happened? Also, I know the slow-down was graphics related because it only happened when windows were refreshing or animations happened. If the desktop was still for a while, I could move the cursor at full-speed. However, just hovering over the close/min/zoom buttons would make it {censored} up again.

Also, I have my card running with UMA/Sideport, giving it 192MB of VRAM, which explains how ATISlice displayed 256MB, when without UMA x200m is only 128MB.

I bet if I did exactly what Ole2 did, I could get it working. :censored2: