WinXP on AppleTV using XOM

volvox

20 posts in this topic

Well since people are installing OS X on it by sticking the drive in another mac, couldnt you do the same thing and do a full boot camp XP/Vista install while you're at it? Then you should be able to boot Windows using the startup disk control panel. Windows wouldn't need to be hacked either to boot.

(All theoretical, I have not tried this)

I'd also like to know about this. Even with 256 meg of RAM, this thing would be a higher spec machine than the one I'm running Windows Server 2003 on right now, and having my server so small would be great!

Yep, AppleTV is a nice, small, quiet and +/- cheap set of hardware. It would be great to use it not just for TV related stuff.

Media center edition would be even better.

That's what I had in mind! :blink:

I added this topic on OnMac.net Forum so that everyone can brainstorm about this.

Why not just install OSX, then use bootcamp and install windows XP? or use parallels?

Boot Camp would not be possible. The part of Boot Camp which does all of the work is actually a BIOS compatibility support module in the firmware. This is undoubtedly absent in the Apple TV (as it was in the original firmware for iMac/MBP/Mac Mini).

Parallels is an interesting question though. "I don't know" is the answer. It depends on if the CPU supports the minimum required instruction sets for parallels. Not sure either way if it does..

Well since people are installing OS X on it by sticking the drive in another mac, couldnt you do the same thing and do a full boot camp XP/Vista install while you're at it? Then you should be able to boot Windows using the startup disk control panel. Windows wouldn't need to be hacked either to boot.

(All theoretical, I have not tried this)

Again, impossible. Lack of required firmware components.

Boot Camp would not be possible. The part of Boot Camp which does all of the work is actually a BIOS compatibility support module in the firmware. This is undoubtedly absent in the Apple TV (as it was in the original firmware for iMac/MBP/Mac Mini).

(...) Lack of required firmware components.

Exactly. Boot Camp is out of question.

XOM is the likely answer.

In my humble point of view, the problems with installing Windows on AppleTV are:

- Lack of optical drive to load the installer (the only solution to this would be to force a boot using an USB ODD)

- Windows "doesn't like" when you install it on one computer, grab the HDD and plug it on another computer (it gets unstable). But maybe if you install it on a laptop with the same chipset that AppleTV has and then plug that hdd on AppleTV, we may be able to fool Windows.

I'm listing the problems above assuming that the EFI issue is possible to solve with XOM.

Indeed....Parallels would not be fun.

Although, from the playing around people were doing with EFI months ago, could it not be possible to add that compaitibility layer in as an extra module?

Also, just a bit of brainstorming here, but why not, like someone else suggested, have a standard bootcamp setup done on the harddrive in another mac, and then stick that into the AppleTV? The catch, would be setting up the OS X partition, much like people have done with their Intel Macs, with setting up a hackish aTV install. It wouldn't be ideal, but it might be you're best shot at having the best of the aTV, OS X, and Windows/linux world in one.

Indeed....Parallels would not be fun.

Although, from the playing around people were doing with EFI months ago, could it not be possible to add that compaitibility layer in as an extra module?

Also, just a bit of brainstorming here, but why not, like someone else suggested, have a standard bootcamp setup done on the harddrive in another mac, and then stick that into the AppleTV? The catch, would be setting up the OS X partition, much like people have done with their Intel Macs, with setting up a hackish aTV install. It wouldn't be ideal, but it might be you're best shot at having the best of the aTV, OS X, and Windows/linux world in one.

Would it be possible to "restore" the disk image of an XP cd onto a small partition, boot that partition and use it to install XP?

aTV won't ever run XP unless someone writes a bios emulation module for it's EFI, forget just cloning the drive will work. XP needs BIOS, aTV doesn't have it.

Yes we realize this. That is exactly why we are talking about using XOM

Yes we realize this. That is exactly why we are talking about using XOM

Not everyone does seem to realise it, as the idea of just "cloning" or "drive swapping" or "plugging a drive into the usb" keeps inexplicably returning to the thread.

:D

People, accept it. No XOM (or similar) or CSM, no Windows.

Ok, so exactly what needs to be done to get this working? From the looks of this thread, nobody has tried this yet, posted instructions (however vague they may be), or presented any major problems. I plan on trying, as soon as my ATV ships.