MacDrive 7 Officially Released

44 posts in this topic

i dont recomend MacDrive to use... cuz this utilitie screw up ur Mac Os partition
Care to elaborate?

I've been using it for years without any major problems. Never did it once screw up my HFS+ partition. Only issue I have was due to operator error. About the only problem I could see this causing is that MacDrive gives you full access to the entire partition(s). Messing with the wrong files can lead to trouble.

The funny thing is, it seems overly generous. The "bug" i reported was a spelling mistake... said "heirarchy" instaead of "hierarchy" when checking a Mac volume.

And suddenly an error which would take ten seconds to fix scores me a free copy of MacDrive. I'm not complaining, but I wonder who decided that bug reporters get a free copy. :)

Well, since most people download betas for the express purpose of getting free (if less than 100% stable) software; they were rewarding you for actually taking the time out to point something out to them that may make them look somewhat bad. I had a similar thing happen to me on a coffee message forum once, the webmaster for a large coffee retailer emailed me a gift certificate for $50 for pointing out a simple bug in the shopping cart app, like in your case it happened to be a misspelling.......... he asked readers of the message forum to beta test the site, and any bug would get a gift cert.; even though I didn't consider what I reported to be a bug and wasn't expecting anything, it meant enough to the company to reward my pointing it out, the same I am sure is true in your case. It's actually commonplace in the software world to offer a beta tester who points out a bug a full version of the software when it's released; some larger beta tests give it to you bug or no bug.

concerning corruption:

1) make sure the HFS+ is journalled !! MacDrive does not like unjournalled HFS!

2) if you have your HFS+ on a MBR HD, go over your hard disk with PTDD Partition Table Doctor 3.5 (Windows) and Norton Partition Magic 8.05 (Windows AND DOS) and make sure you don't have any partition errors on your HD

3) regularly run Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, Drive Genius and TechTool Pro over your HFS+ volumes esp. if they are on a MBR HD. Mac OS is NOT at all meant to boot from MBR schemes, but on GUID HDs. Volumes on MBR HDs tend to corrupt.

If you run Mac OS X regularly or even as your main sys, please consider swithching your HD over to GUID, and you will have less trouble with anything, incl. MacDrive.

• 4 weeks later...

I know when using MacDrive in Windows XP it would corrupt files only when the HFS formatted drive property policy under windows were set to enable disk write caching. This I believe must be disabled on all HFS format drives to ensure no corruption issues, especially when writing to from Windows! I went on my intuition here and it does the job. Anyhow, I am going to give HFS Explorer a go for my 64 bit install.

Lates'. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...