TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

The tablet has stopped being detected. I had played with it shortly in Ink and Sketchbook. I'd also tried to launch Flash. When I was testing Ink, the Finder windows started wigging out (I'd try to move them and they would vibrate between the pen and where they were resting). I turned off Ink, and everything seemed fine. Shortly after Flash crashed, TM stopped seeing my tablet. At one point, I had tested the iwi3945 driver, which created a dummy Airport adaptor (although called Ethernet by System Preferences). The Networking pane mentioned that it now saw a Serial port. It kept working after that. I deleted both 3945 and the network Serial port, and it still doesn't see it. serial0 is still a selectable (and selected) option in TM.

Hi Sam, I've read your post and had a look at your console log. I'm not sure why the tablet stopped being detected. Normally I would suggest rebooting the tablet, but I'm guessing you tried that already.

As for Flash quitting... Flash has a known bug where it will crash if it detects a tablet but doesn't find the Wacom driver. If you install Wacom's official tablet driver it should stop Flash from crashing, even though it doesn't drive your tablet.

Your tablet (on serial0) doesn't seem to be answering the "*" query, and TabletMagic is therefore assuming there's no tablet. You may have to keep the "Don't Query" checkbox turned on if yours is one of those tablets that can't be queried. Try checking that box, killing and restarting the daemon, and see if the tablet starts working. The resolution may still be off kilter. Try entering 13348 and 18968 into the text boxes provided and see if it helps.

I will continue to search for answers on my end as well.

Paringas wishes I could edit the first post of this thread -- and so do I -- but this forum doesn't allow it, so my apologies to those who must read through this whole thread to get to the latest version and instructions.

I'm terribly sorry if this has been discussed in some other post, but I have successfully installed OSX 10.4.8 on to a Motion Computing M1400 and was looking for a way to use the tablet functionality with TabletMagic. I installed the latest version, but the program reads "no tablet detected". Is this something worth pursuing, or is the machine too old to use your interface?

Hi Patrick, I'm not yet familiar enough with your system to give you a definitive answer, but according to various Linux forums you do have a Wacom serial digitizer. I suggest you try everything you can think of, and if your tablet still isn't recognized we can investigate further using a logging version of the driver.

Edited by Scott Lahteine

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of trying to get the digitizer working on my HP TC1100 tablet pc.

I have 10.4.6 installed on it using (I believe) the JaS distribution. (For some reason 10.4.8 JaS just kernel panics while booting, so I went back to 10.4.6.)

The digitizer shows up in ioreg with the ID "WACF005", which I note is pretty similar to the other HP 4xxx-series tablet user who had WACF006.

Unfortunately, even after editing the kext plist as described to use this name instead of the PNP one, deleting the extension caches and rebooting, I still don't get any new serial ports in my /dev directory. And of course, TabletMagic needs a functioning serial port to work.

I'm wondering what I could possibly be overlooking, and if anyone has any ideas I could try.

For those who have it working, what is the /dev device named? Does it show up as /dev/serial? Something else?

Thanks for any advice!

Here's a little more info on my TC1100.

Notice the entry for the digitizer in ioreg -lx:

| +-o DIGI  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy $
| |   {
| |	 "_UID" = "1"
| |	 "name" = <"WACF005">
| |	 "_STA" = 0xd
| |	 "compatible" = <"ACPI\WACF004">
| |   }

And I set up my kext plist like so:

<key>ACPI 16X50 Serial Port</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.Apple16X50ACPI</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>com_apple_driver_16X50ACPI</string>
		<key>IOKitDebug</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<string>WACF005</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<string>10000</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
	</dict>

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

and restart

But no new entries in /dev after booting.

I'm stumped! Anyone?

I'll just continue talking to myself. :D

So, after fiddling with it all last night, still no luck.

What I've noticed is that the Apple16X50ACPI kext doesn't log any messages at all during boot.

On other people's boot logs, I've seen stuff like this:

Apple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1

But nothing like that during my boot.

I do get this error message:

IOPCI2PCIBridge: bad bridge bus numbering, no room to fix, bailing out!

Followed by a couple of errors about link/load failures. So my theory is that a dependency that Apple16X50ACPI needs is not loading.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Followed by a couple of errors about link/load failures. So my theory is that a dependency that Apple16X50ACPI needs is not loading.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

That could be it... these systems sometimes require a lot of tweaks to get working reliably. But I dunno, looking at the ioreg entries, I see that the "DIGI" device is only a child of "AppleACPIPlatformExpert." I don't know how that relates to dependency though. DIGI also has a "compatible" key with the value "ACPI\WACF004." Maybe you can try the string "WACF004" ... you know, just in case.

On my system there is no such plugin. I have Apple16X50PCCard.kext instead of Apple16X50ACPI.kext, but then my system is a G5 desktop.

Hi, just to say that I've installed Tablet Magic 2.0 beta 8 rc6 on an install of 10.4.6 Jas on my Toshiba M200 Tablet PC and the app works great.

Initially, it couldn't find a serial tablet - I'd forgotten to enable the wacom serial port in OS X - duh!

Went to

/system/library/extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and changed the IONameMatch string from PNP0501 to WACF004 , deleted kextcaches and rebooted.

The pen was recognised immediately but the calibration was way out - the closer to the top left corner of the screen the smaller the gap between the pen tip and the cursor - the closer to the bottom right hand corner of the screen the bigger the gap between the pen tip and cursor.

Played around with the settings under the second tab of Tablet Magic - resizing screen area, resizing wacom tablet area etc - eventually gave up and just clicked the tab 'max' for the wacom settings - immediately the pen worked properly everywhere on the screen.

I've enabled the app to start at bootup and also enabled ink - inkwell doesn't seem much good for cursive (joined) writing - but works fine unjoined writing.

All in all, Mac osx seems to work really well on the m200 - thanks to other members for tips under the compatibility/portable computing section of 10.4.6.

Thanks to Scott Lahteine for the Tablet Magic app and also to Kashoggi for the info on how to edit Apple16X50Serial.kext. It would be nice to also have right-click functionality but what's working already is great.

Now, If only I could get the KEYBOARD working on my Amilo M3438g..... :star_smile:

stevef and Scott,

I have also installed 10.4.6 on my HP tc1100. Its great! I've been trying to use TabletMagic to get my Wacom tablet going, but have hit the exact same problems as stevef. Specifically:

IOPCI2PCIBridge: bad bridge bus numbering, no room to fix, bailing out!

I've tried a few other things, and may have some info to help.

First, I changed the Info.plist to read "WACF005", deleted /System/Library/Extensions.*, and rebooted. After reboot, Apple16X50Serial.kext still is not loaded. Running

sudo kextload Apple16X50Serial.kext

yields a successful response. However, no new devices are found in /dev, nor is the tablet recognized in TabletMagic. From reading the source, it appears that an appeal is made to the Apple IOkit stuff to actually communicate with the serial device, so this leads me to believe that it is, indeed, a problem with recognition of the serial ports. I can't see any reference to the tablet at all in the boot log, or any other device listing (like ioreg). I've attached a screenshot of the device interconnections repored in the Device Manager on XP.

post-95939-1175124697_thumb.png

Yes, right click works fine - not sure why I thought it didn't when I posted earlier - probably had 'Write Anywhere' enabled or something stupid!

I'm still amazed how easy it was to get the pen working - thanks to everyone again. I remember messing around with Xandros, Lindows and Mandrake (as they were then called) on a TC1100 a few years ago and not getting anywhere very fast.

I'd love to get this working on my Fujitsu ST4021 (pure slate) - but it only has a P3 processor (no SSE2 for the OSX GUI). Has anyone had OSX running on the Fujitsu ST50xx series?

Yeah, someone mentioned it in the old thread. However without the button panel driver (I'm not DONE yet!) or a security program for the inbuilt fingerprint reader, slate's arent as useful.

If I can get the button panel up (Mac, Alt, Rotate, User1, User2) and find a biometric control program (The integrated fingerprint readers work but need support software) we'll all be laughing.

Hi, just to say that I've installed Tablet Magic 2.0 beta 8 rc6 on an install of 10.4.6 Jas on my Toshiba M200 Tablet PC and the app works great.

Initially, it couldn't find a serial tablet - I'd forgotten to enable the wacom serial port in OS X - duh!

Went to

/system/library/extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and changed the IONameMatch string from PNP0501 to WACF004 , deleted kextcaches and rebooted.

Pegasys,

I'm really excited to find out that you got this working on an M200. I've been trying but somehow something is wrong. I'm using the 10.4.7 Jas on my M200, but when I change the string to WACF004, delete the kextcaches and reboot, I get an error saying, "System extension cannot be used. ... Apple16X50ACPI.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used...." Maybe this sounds like a silly question, but what is the right way to change this string? When I try to save the Info.plist file, it won't do it. So then I save it to the desktop and then drag it back into the Contents window. At this point it asks me to authenticate, I do, and it overwrites the old file. Is this the right way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Maybe this sounds like a silly question, but what is the right way to change this string? When I try to save the Info.plist file, it won't do it. So then I save it to the desktop and then drag it back into the Contents window. At this point it asks me to authenticate, I do, and it overwrites the old file. Is this the right way to do this?

You likely need to fix the permissions on the plist file.

Try this in Terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/

sudo chown root:wheel Info.plist

sudo chmod 644 Info.plist

That should do the trick.

In future, just use a smarter editor that allows you to save files you don't own by authenticating. BBEdit or TextMate does a fine job.

Thank you Scott! I did as you suggested, and I now have myself a Tablet Mac! Beautiful! Now I just need to find an app like One Note for the Mac and I can kiss Windows goodbye (again). I'm very happy with all the work you've put into this. Thanks.

Just for the record, I'm using this on an M200 with the 10.4.7 Jas install and the Tablet Magic 2b8rc7.

No, your bug is not mine.

So I have no idea. Run an lspci -t and ioreg -lx

Dump the lot to a text file and upload em. When I get back from my trip I'll have a gander.

Ah, the system IS recognizing the hardware. I didnt realize that ioreg didn't show full information when run with no options. My ioreg entry is the same as stevef's

| +-o DIGI  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 6>
 | |   {
 | |	 "_UID" = "1"
 | |	 "name" = <"WACF005">
 | |	 "_STA" = 0xd
 | |	 "compatible" = <"ACPI\WACF004">
 | |   }
 | |

I tried copying this string exactly into Apple16X50ACPI.kext, deleting Extensions.*, and rebooting, but still no recognition by TabletMagic. I did notice, however, if WACF005 is in the file, Apple16X50ACPI.kext is loaded, but if a bogus string is in there, Apple16X50ACPI.kext doesn't load at boot time. Where is the logging for kernal extentions done?

I'll attach the full contents. FYI, lspci doesn't seem to come with a default 10.4.6 install, but I'm going to try to build it from source.

Just tried, it says darwin isnt supported. Does anyone know where there is a darwin version of it? I'll check the sources I have. For now, here is the ioreg output.

Oops, forgot to attach.

Here we go

ioreg.txt

Don't look for it in /dev - just go into tablet magic - if you see a serial port it's working.

You're repairing permissions etc?

ALSO:

Will everyone PLEASE update your OS? Pain in the ass trying to problemsolve 5 versions of MacOS.

10.4.9 is stable and easy under SSE3 Intel. Sleep works on most systems if you disable hibernation.

Added Tabletmagic rc8 on my Toshiba M4, fresh OSX Install, but no Tablet discovered

NB is running with Vesa driver, and Kernel 1.4.8

Is there a chance getting this to work on my hardware?

greets

n.

The TC1100 caused problems with linux as well. By default the digitizer is not mapped to any serial port. The solution was to run an executable to enable the serial port then the digitizer could be used.

I don't think this is adaptable to Mac OS X. For one thing, Mac OS X doesn't have the setserial command - and neither do Fink or Darwin-ports - and I don't know if Mac OS X uses the same system of IRQ numbers that Linux and Windows use - though theoretically it should. Have a look at the darwin source code for more information on that.

From what I understand, to get non-standard serial ports to be recognized on non-Apple hardware you need to write a kernel extension, or if it's a standard variety of serial port, use the instructions referred-to earlier in this thread to modify the Info.plist file in the appropriate kext file.

Hey all, -I'm fairly new to all this, done all my searching, and now.. my cry for help:

I'm running 10.4.5 on a Motion Computing M1400 as a dual boot. (10.4.8 etc all reboot at the beginning of the install DVD)

Is there a way to upgrade OSX manually while osx itself is running? That is, without booting from the dvd?

I'd like to get a copy of the logging version of tabletmagic to try and get my digitzer working.

Can someone instruct me on getting things working with the pen, if possible?

The latest tabletmagic I have installed, only sees my USB bluetooth dongle in the list that says "automatic" -I get a tablet not found message.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help sort things out!

C

• 2 weeks later...

ioreg -lx

that command can be used to find the device name of your Tablet.

Follow the instructions given REPEATEDLY in this thread on modifying your kext.

OS 10.4.9 can be done on the fly.

Download the 10.4.9 intel COMBO update NOT the single, even if you have 10.4.8.

Use an IRC client to get the 10.4.9 kernel from irc.osx86.hu #1049

copy your /System/Library/Extensions foler do a safe place.

Run the combo update,

DO NOT LET IT RESTART WHEN IT IS FINISHED.

Replace smbios kext with the old one, and go into the terminal.

sudo rm -r /mach_kernel

mv /Users/Noob/Desktop/name_of_kernel_file /mach_kernel

diskutil repairpermissions /

Then reboot.