[How-To] ATI Radon Mobility 9600 AGP with QE/CI on 10.4.8/10.4.10

largo

140 posts in this topic

I tried this on my Kalyway 10.5.1 install and it locked up the system. No Kernel panic's just every 10 seconds or so it generate a .crash report and it would do it until I stopped it (had it going for 30 minutes at one point).

Attempted to delete the kexts starting with ATI* and Cal*, same thing occured even when trying to boot into safe mode.

I reloaded my laptop with JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3, install worked perfectly. QE / CI enabled, very very minimal tearing. Only problem with that version of the install is that even with QE / CI, it couldn't play DVD movies. It would goto a solid yellow screen.

EDIT: I am using a HP NC6000 laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, got QE/CI enabled with Tiger 10.9 using your Driver + kovergpatch 9700 v0.2

Mobility X300 PCIe.

but when i move windows, or scroll in them the graphics in them turn to scratch. will try another callisto, maybe that'll help.

thx

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

;)

I had install 10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz on my HP NC6000 notebook with ATI Mobility9600 32M@1400*1050 on Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.1_sse2.

But it got the crash report logs like this:

loginwindow_2008-02-28-235625_carys-hp-compaq-nc6000-pm184usaba-timer-vector-number.crash

Process: loginwindow [116]

Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow

Identifier: loginwindow

Version: ??? (???)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [1]

Date/Time: 2008-02-28 23:56:25.300 +0800

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.1 (9B18)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:

Symbol not found: _CGLGetPixelFormat

Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CoreVideo

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

I had my old laptop working fine with 10.4.8 and 9600 with QE and CI enabled, thanksto Largo's solution.

Now I installed Leopard -a new intaller named Leo4all which is exelent, by the way-Everything works and even better but this solution do not work anymore, at least as it is. It's a shame because the screen is 1280x800 an the video I get is 1024x768 so I see things out of shape.

Largo, I encourage you to try the Leo4all intaller, is really good, even on difficult laptops like mine (see signature).

cheers

Ric

Did you get anywhere with getting QE and CI working on the ATI x300? How do I get it running with this driver?

Thank you largo!

This also works for my ATI x300 with the JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3!

Now the System Profiler show Quartz Extreme and Core Image are supported. The DVD Player starts, but the Video doesn't run smooth... Any ideas?

Hi, I too installed these drivers on an Asus M6800N with ATI Radeon mobility 9600, 64Mb. It seems to be working but when I scroll any window, or move it around the screen, the image inside the window gets all messed up. I have to minimize/maximize to get it all back. Is this what you guys call mouse tearing? Any solution for this?

Thanks! Great job!

Hi, I too installed these drivers on an Asus M6800N with ATI Radeon mobility 9600, 64Mb. It seems to be working but when I scroll any window, or move it around the screen, the image inside the window gets all messed up. I have to minimize/maximize to get it all back. Is this what you guys call mouse tearing? Any solution for this?

Thanks! Great job!

I got this problem, too. You can partially resolve it by pressing F9 two times, but this does only work for windows that are already open.

Is there still no 'real' solution to this problem? Apart from this, everything is working fine with the driver (IBM T42, i855PM chipset, Radeon 9600 mobility 64MB).

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, please do me a favour and read through this whole thread. There is a solution for the "Mouse Tearing" in this thread and it only has 5 (!) pages. I am sure you'll manage to find it if you take another look...

Hi guys, any new dev in terms of getting this going on Leopard? My card is being recognised as AGP (with AGPGart) but no QE/CI

Here is my stuff:

ASUS W1NA

1.8Ghz SSE2

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 M10/M11 (0x4e50)

Kalyway 10.5.1 [with mbr + SSE2]

Callisto b003

AGPGart

I reloaded my laptop with JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3, install worked perfectly. QE / CI enabled, very very minimal tearing. Only problem with that version of the install is that even with QE / CI, it couldn't play DVD movies. It would goto a solid yellow screen.

EDIT: I am using a HP NC6000 laptop.

in order to fix that all you need is a different 'AppleSMBIOS.kext'. Took me a while to figure out too. Search the forum, they're there.

On a different note - I will try my best to get my hands on a Kalyway Leopard disc and see if I can do anything about the drivers. I have an NC6000 too, which is SSE2 and it seems like there are problems with such machines. I am not very 'into' the Leopard-Hackintosh happenings, so I really need to catch up on it. Can't be that complicated - can it?

I'll keep you updated. 

Oh well, I tried booting the Leopard 10.5.2 Disc, but all I get is a Kernel Panic before I even reach the first installation screen.

It seems to detect one of my ethernet-cards wrong and that's what brings it down.  :(

I'll see what I can do, if I can find different kernels and try to play around with the boot options. 

Booting in safe mode didn't help at all.

What about disabling momentarly the ethernet card from the bios?

leopard is so much nice than Tigerm, you will not regret to invest some time to make it work. You'll see.

I believe you. Today I tried the Leo4all release, didn't work  - at all. The dvd booted and then crashed after 10 seconds, I am not even able to ready why.

And yes your approach to disable the Ethernet-Card is a good one and I'd have done that if my Notebook would allow me to just 'disable' hardware. I can disable a few things, but I can't disable my network adapter - so that's not gonna work.

I'll continue to see what I can do about that...

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to get this working on Kalyway 10.5.2... Got a Radeon M10 with ID 4e50.

Everything is quite simple: all the kexts work just fine with no further modifications, and the problem stated above (panics every 10 seconds) is caused by the OpenGL.framework which is a binary for 10.4.8 but not 10.5.*.

The way to solve the issue is just not to copy OpenGL.framework. The simpler way is to run the script as usual, and the do the following:

cp -r /BackUP/OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/

Congratulations, now you have res switching etc but without QE/CI support. But it's better than nothing =)

If I could find out exactly what modifications were made to OpenGL.framework, I would try to replay them for the Leopard version, so we could have a perfectly operational driver again :wacko:

Thanks anyway largo, it clears up the point anyway =) Unfortunately this framework doesn't work on Leo(

One more problem that I have is the following: I'm presently booting into safe mode (-x) in order for my LCD to work at proper resolution (1400x1050). When I try to boot up normally, I can set this resolution OK, but when I try to move any window, the contents of it is scrambled into stripes as on a misconfigured TV.

I would be content with safe mode but unfortunately soundcard doesn't work in it %)

I need a way to get this QE working on Leopard,

or a way patch my JaS 10.4.8 ISO with the modified AppleVIAATA.kext files from Leo4Allv3, becuase leo4all is the only one that recognizes my hard drive and lets me install.

I have that ISO, how can I patch it with the kext?

...Type the following:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*<BR>  rm -rf /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework<BR>  rm /System/Libary/Extensions.*<BR>  mv Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz /<BR>  cd /<BR>  tar xvfz 10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz

Does the above have "new" typos?

Terminal did not like it. I tried omitting the "BR" tags, and tried (3rd attempt) a manual d & d, that didn't work either.

Is this subforum dead ?

I hope not!!! I just got my NC6000 and I'm stuck at the Apple Load screen after xxx 10.4.11 xxx installs.

I tried Kalyway's Leopard, but my laptop froze do to the issues with NC6000 which I need to get fixed.

read about the NC6000 issue and solutions here -> http://www.techimo.com/forum/mobile-comput...roblems-11.html and http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread94320.html

I need help getting past the apple booting screen.

I hope not!!! I just got my NC6000 and I'm stuck at the Apple Load screen after xxx 10.4.11 xxx installs.

I tried Kalyway's Leopard, but my laptop froze do to the issues with NC6000 which I need to get fixed.

Try the JaS 10.4.8, it is the easiest to install on the NC6000, a couple of patches give you "Airport", and power management (somewhat).

This ATI fix probably works on the nc6000, ....but, I think the instructions in post #1 have been rendered iffy after edits introduced some typos and ambiguities.

This tutorial's author has suggested that he may write a "how to" for 10.4.10/nc6000 in the future, ...until then, the JaS 10.4.8, plus the Atheros fix are probably your best bet.