[How-To] ATI Radon Mobility 9600 AGP with QE/CI on 10.4.8/10.4.10

largo

140 posts in this topic

INTRODUCTION

After spending several very long and painful nights trying to get either Quarz-Extreme (QE) or Core Image (CI) to work with my Radeon Mobility 9600 AGP (ID 0x4e50), I thought I'd share my special drivers-package with you and explain how to make it work.

PREFACE

After the initial installation of the JaS 10.4.8 release things look deceptively good. Both QE and CI work, the only trouble is that the resolution doesn't. It's fixed on 1024x786 and if you want to run anything else, you simply can't. Just as an example for this post I'll assume that the resolution we want to run is 1600x1200, just change it in your head to whatever it is you desire.

FIRST TRIALS

It is fairly easy to get the 1600x1200 resolution up and running. Just install the Callisto "ATI_9600_C003_AGP.zip", the trouble is that with it, QE and CI go down the drain. In order to get it back I practically pulled out all the stops. I tried all the other Callisto drivers, I installed Nadid, Catana, Titan - you name it, I tried it - but nothing ever worked.

In the end it was a hint some guy (Sorry, I forgot your nick!) on the IRC channel had told me. He said something along the lines that I'll need the OpenGL Framework and kexts from 10.4.7 in order to make it work, but at that time I had absolutely no idea what it ment.

After learning a lot about OSX and how to install and fix broken drivers, I came back to what he said, got myself a hold of a 10.4.7 image and started to fiddle around with that. The outcome of that is the driver you find linked a few lines below.

THE DRIVER

The driver package you find linked a few lines below is a combination of the Callisto driver named above and certain kexts and frameworks from the 10.4.7 JaS release. In case that specific Callisto driver does work out for you without providing acceleration (even if you have a different Graphics Card) there is a good chance that this package will will fix the acceleration.

INSTALLATION

To ensure this driver package works out for you I did several installations of it for myself in order to learn what to do in which situation. The most important thing I learned is that IF you previously played around with Nadid, Titan, Catana or whatever meta package there is a certain chance the driver won't work out at all (it didn't for me!).

I can only recommed a fresh OSx86 install in order to make my driver bundle work, I tried this in two seperate installations and everything worked out perfectly well.

First thing to do is download the driver and put it onto your Desktop, them do the following steps (all inside the Terminal):

1. We need to set the password for the 'Superuser' aka. 'Administrator' on windows. The accout is called 'root' in the world of unix. If you have done this previously, you can skip this step.

sudo passwd root

Executing this will ask you for the password of your own account and then for the new password for the root account.

2. Once this is done type the following:

su -m

This will change your user-id in order to become the super-user. You'll have to type in the password you just set in order to gain the previliges. If it was successfull the username from the end of the commandline will change from your username to root.

3. Once you've become root we can start to install the drivers. Type the following:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

rm -rf /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

rm /System/Libary/Extensions.*

mv Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz /

cd /

tar xvfz 10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz

4. Alternatively, you might want to move (mv) the files above in order to save them in a backup folder of your choice, instead of deleting (rm) them.
  5. Once you have done this, restart your Notebook. When it comes back you should have full QE/CI support and you're now able to change your resolution in the 'System Preferences' -> 'Displays' applet.
  6. ENJOY!

DISCLAIMER and HINTS

I obviously can't guarantee that this will work out for all of you. It definitely works on my Notebook though, a HP/Compaq NW8000 (NC6000).

In case your CardID (check in 'System Profiler' -> 'Graphics/Display') isn't 0x4e50 you'll definitely have to edit the following file after the installation in order to make things work.

Get root, and edit the following file using your favourite text editor (vi, emacs, nano, whatever...)

/System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Once you've opened the file simply search for '4e50' and change it according to your own ID and then reboot.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

If you're new to OSx86 you've probably already seen that the status is pretty chaotic. Browsing the forums and finding the informations you need is extremly exhausting and this results in people asking the same questions over and over again - which makes it even worse.

I found The Genuius Bar a very good place to be and learn. No matter if a topic is suited for your hardware or not, reading through all this How-To's and Guides will make you understand OSx86 much better.

During my search for answers to my QE/CI questions, I came across people and threads that stated either of:

1. It will never work.
  2. Either QE OR CI will work.
  3. Everything will work using Catana.
  4. What do you need QE/CI for anyways? It isn't used for graphics acceleration.
  5. Install JaS 10.4.7 it will work there. (This is actually partially true)

What you learn through this is that there are more than enough people around that think they know what their doing, but they actually don't. Just if someone tells you something doesn't work, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

In my case for example, everything just worked out perfectly well.

REQUEST

In case my driver-bundle works out for you and you have a different Graphics Card as the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 AGP (0x4e50), please post a reply to this thread so we learn for which Card this bundle is effective.

THANKS

Thanks to all the guys from the IRC that helped me on my road to happiness. Live long and prosper!

Edited by largo

Hi! :wacko:

I am compleatly new to os x. I love the operating system, but running it in slow motion and at 60htz with a locked resolution will quickly drive anyone nuts!

I figured getting the omni driver would help, but the person's web site is down. I figured there was a mirror on these forums, and there probably is, but what I found first is your post.

This is a clean install of osx 10.4.8 JaS with nothing done to it more then your driver package. The install was a tad bit different then you instructed as well.

First of all, you posted:

rm -rf /System/Libary/Extensions/ATI*

rm -rf /System/Libary/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

cd /

tar xvfz Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz

But I did:

cd /

tar xvfz 10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz

Then right after that I changed <string>0x4e501002&0xffffffff</string> to <string>0x41521002&0xffffffff</string>.

After rebooting it is a tad more responsive then it was before, but not much. As I type this text right now it has a major delay.

On the good side, if I go into Displays I see a wide variety of resolutions to choose from. Unfortunately, choosing any of them makes my monitor go into sleep mode, and I have to reboot into safe mode. It does this when I try a lower resolution and when I try the same resolution in a hrtz range this monitor supports. Do you know how to fix this issue? Maybe there is a way to go into vi and make a list of resolution and hrtz that should work?

When I boot into safe mode there is no mouse glitch and everything runs smoothly without a hitch. It runs like I want it to when not in safe mode except, resolution and hrtz. I do however notice it is very cpu intensive in safe mode. Moving a window around will sometimes jump it up to 100% cpu usage. In non-safemode where it is choppy like right now, the cpu never goes above 3%.

My computer statistics are:

3200+ amd 64 (sse2)

K8NE-Delux (nforce 3 mobo)

9600xt 128meg radeon

Everyone keeps talking about QE/CI. I'm 100% new to this. What is it? I'm asking here instead of looking it up because it takes me 100 million hours to scroll a web page; very frustrating. I would just go into safe move so I could run safari decently, but safe mode has no network support, so I'm stuck right now. I really want os x, but I'm not sure how to fix up these issues!

I'll try installing AGPGart 2.2 next, but even if I fix these speed issues, running my monitor (crt) at 60hrtz is liable to give me a major headache. I can't handle it. How do I fix the resolution and hrtz?

Thank you,

Angel

EDIT: I just noticed in System Profiler it says:

Core Image: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

BUT! Everything is running very very slow, lagged, and choppy right now. ??

EDIT #2: I installed AGPGart 2.2 and not my computer is responcive!! :D Unfortunitly, I still get mouse noise/tearing (whatever you want to call it), and the resolution is still 1024x768 at 60htz. Please help me change this!!

Edited by Angel Bunny

Hey AngelBunny,

well I am not a real guru myself and if you say QE & CI is supported for you, the driver bundle seems to have done just what it was supposed to be.

I can't tell you what is the source of the problems you have, what I can do is point you into the direction of few other Callisto drivers, they are located here.

There are 3 additional things I can tell you. The first is that I only tried this on an LCD device, so I can't relly confirm that it works for CRT devices, but I can't really see why it shouldn't. The second is that maybe there is that your problems might be due some entirely different hardware, that doesn't have to do with the graphics card and that is just somewhat blocking you system. The last thing to mention is that you don't have a 'Mobility' card as I have, maybe trying the other Callisto drivers really will do you good.

The approach you're taking seems definitely right to me - it seems you just need the correct driver for it!

Hope this helps...

Hi Largo,

Tks a lot for your solution. Finally I could get Multiresolution+QE+CI in my Emachines 6811 with your package.

A few notes:

1-The only problem is that I had to install it manually. Your script did not work for my system. I don't know why.

2- There's still some mouse tearing/artifacts. but this is a very minor thing.

Tks again for your work!

Ric

PD: Whould be interesting to know what you did to achieve this. Care to share to the comunity?

Edited by ricren

largo:

The link you posted doesn't seem to give any download links callistro related: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43828

I'll try changing the resolution on an lcd and see what happens.

EDIT: I tried an lcd monitor and it still screwed up the same as the crt did. I did notice this: http://angel.timduru.org/lj/osx_res.png Does this mean when I select any resolution it is thinking I am selecting another one? Like when I select 640x480 it things I'm selecting 1600x1200 at 85hrtz? Or does that drop down menu display something different then the last resolution selected?

Thank you for the help!! :star_smile:

EDIT 2: Sorry for spamming you so much! Originally I installed osx on IDE, but my main hard drives are all sata. I got sata working, but I wanted osx to boot off of an sata hard drive. In doing so I formatted yet again (I think my 3rd time total. lol) and when I formatted I noticed something. Core Image and Quartz Extreme are both supported from the get go for me. I am back to having no choice on hertz or resolution to choose from but CI and QE are both supported. The reason I'm saying this is because, your pack I installed earlier may have done nothing for me. At least it didn't kill my system! lol Again, sorry for bothering you so much, and thanks for the wonderful work! If I would have noticed how to check if I had QE/CI earlier I probably would have avoided a good amount of work. live and learn lol

Edited by Angel Bunny

Woot!! Thanks for the package, largo. It works perfectly for my Radeon 9600M 128MB(same device id as urs) on jas 10.4.8 after installation. I'm pretty new to this osx86 thing and it saved me from more hours of searching for a solution. I tried all the guides on the forum and the driver script, but they all just gave me a black screen+frozen screen on 10.4.8 w/ 8.8.1 kernel. I guess the old guides need to be updated since replacing the opengl framework seem to solve the problem. Now running 1920x1200 compared to my old 1600x1200 cap on the original ATIRadeon9700.kext(QE/CI supported). This is definitely a keeper for me. Thanks again! :thumbsup_anim:

Angel Bunny, try this guide on changing your resolution and refresh rate if you're not using the callisto drivers since u have QE/CI by default after installing the os : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry312212

And maybe this one might fix the choppyness:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11550

Cheers!

largo:

The link you posted doesn't seem to give any download links callistro related: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43828

Whee, that is true. Don't know how that could have happened. Here is the correct one http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=31638.

Hope this helps!

A few notes:

1-The only problem is that I had to install it manually. Your script did not work for my system. I don't know why.

I didn't give out any sort of script. I am not sure what you mean and how you did install it...

2- There's still some mouse tearing/artifacts. but this is a very minor thing.

Yip, I've got those too...

PD: Whould be interesting to know what you did to achieve this. Care to share to the comunity?

As explained above, some nice guy told me that I'd need stuff from 10.4.7 to make it work. I installed a full 10.4.7 release, installed the Callisto drivers and saw that everything worked out. Well aware that this didn't work for 10.4.8, I knew that I'd need parts of 10.4.7 in 10.4.8 to make it work.

From that point I did some trial and error testing. I copied all the ATI* extrensions to a memory-stick and then replaced them on my existing 10.4.8 installation. After this worked out well, I started deleting some ATI extensions again on 10.4.8 until I figured out which of the ATI* extensions where responsible and needed to make both QE & CI work.

What came out in the end is the tar file above, consisting of everything you need to make it work. :)

Edited by largo

largo:

I tried every driver listed there and every single one gave me a black screen.

However, I did end up finding a solution (kind of). I took out the 9600xt and put in an old geforce 5200. :P It does use up more cpu when doing things, but I have QE/CI both working, all the right resolution and hertz, and the install was super simple. On top of all of that I don't have any mouse tearing! I'm happy. :P

Again, thanks for your responces. bye bye

Largo, you're the man, thanks to you now I have, my ATI 9600 PRO AGP (ID: 0x4150) working at 1680x1050, 60hz Full QE, CI. :D

image 10.4.8 Jas.Intel.AMD.SS2.SS3.

INTRODUCTION

After spending several very long and painful nights trying to get either Quarz-Extreme (QE) or Core Image (CI) to work with my Radeon Mobility 9600 AGP (ID 0x4e50), I thought I'd share my special drivers-package with you and explain how to make it work.

PREFACE

After the initial installation of the JaS 10.4.8 release things look deceptively good. Both QE and CI work, the only trouble is that the resolution doesn't. It's fixed on 1024x786 and if you want to run anything else, you simply can't. Just as an example for this post I'll assume that the resolution we want to run is 1600x1200, just change it in your head to whatever it is you desire.

FIRST TRIALS

It is fairly easy to get the 1600x1200 resolution up and running. Just install the Callisto "ATI_9600_C003_AGP.zip", the trouble is that with it, QE and CI go down the drain. In order to get it back I practically pulled out all the stops. I tried all the other Callisto drivers, I installed Nadid, Catana, Titan - you name it, I tried it - but nothing ever worked.

In the end it was a hint some guy (Sorry, I forgot you nick!) on the IRC channel had told me. He said something along the lines that I'll need the OpenGL Framework and kexts from 10.4.7 in order to make it work, but at that time I had absolutely no idea what it ment.

After learning a lot about OSX and how to install and fix broken drivers, I came back to what he said, got myself a hold of a 10.4.7 image and started to fiddle around with that. The outcome of that is the driver you find linked a few lines below.

THE DRIVER

The driver package you find linked a few lines below is a combination of the Callisto driver named above and certain kexts and frameworks from the 10.4.7 JaS release. In case that specific Callisto driver does work out for you without providing acceleration (even if you have a different Graphics Card) there is a good chance that this package will will fix the acceleration.

INSTALLATION

To ensure this driver package works out for you I did several installations of it for myself in order to learn what to do in which situation. The most important thing I learned is that IF you previously played around with Nadid, Titan, Catana or whatever meta package there is a certain chance the driver won't work out at all (it didn't for me!).

I can only recommed a fresh OSx86 install in order to make my driver bundle work, I tried this in two seperate installations and everything worked out perfectly well.

First thing to do is download the driver and put it onto your Desktop, them do the following steps (all inside the Terminal):

1. We need to set the password for the 'Superuser' aka. 'Administrator' on windows. The accout is called 'root' in the world of unix. If you have done this previously, you can skip this step.

sudo passwd root

Executing this will ask you for the password of your own account and then for the new password for the root account.

2. Once this is done type the following:

su -m

This will change your user-id in order to become the super-user. You'll have to type in the password you just set in order to gain the previliges. If it was successfull the username from the end of the commandline will change from your username to root.

3. Once you've become root we can start to install the drivers. Type the following:

cd /
      tar xvfz Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz

Alternatively, you might want to move (mv) the files above in order to save them in a backup folder of your choice, instead of deleting (rm) them.

4. Once you have done this, restart your Notebook. When it comes back you should have full QE/CI support and you're now able to change your resolution in the 'System Preferences' -> 'Displays' applet.
  5. ENJOY!

DISCLAIMER and HINTS

I obviously can't guarantee that this will work out for all of you. It definitely works on my Notebook though, a HP/Compaq NW8000 (NC6000).

In case your CardID (check in 'System Profiler' -> 'Graphics/Display') isn't 0x4e50 you'll definitely have to edit the following file after the installation in order to make things work.

Get root, and edit the following file using your favourite text editor (vi, emacs, nano, whatever...)

/System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Once you've opened the file simply search for '4e50' and change it according to your own ID and then reboot.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

If you're new to OSx86 you've probably already seen that the status is pretty chaotic. Browsing the forums and finding the informations you need is extremly exhausting and this results in people asking the same questions over and over again - which makes it even worse.

I found The Genuius Bar a very good place to be and learn. No matter if a topic is suited for your hardware or not, reading through all this How-To's and Guides will make you understand OSx86 much better.

During my search for answers to my QE/CI questions, I came across people and threads that stated either of:

1. It will never work.
  2. Either QE OR CI will work.
  3. Everything will work using Catana.
  4. What do you need QE/CI for anyways? It isn't used for graphics acceleration.
  5. Install JaS 10.4.7 it will work there. (This is actually partially true)

What you learn through this is that there are more than enough people around that think they know what their doing, but they actually don't. Just if someone tells you something doesn't work, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

In my case for example, everything just worked out perfectly well.

REQUEST

In case my driver-bundle works out for you and you have a different Graphics Card as the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 AGP (0x4e50), please post a reply to this thread so we learn for which Card this bundle is effective.

THANKS

Thanks to all the guys from the IRC that helped me on my road to happiness. Live long and prosper!

I install all for thi method, but nothing change from me...

System Profiler write CI and QE supported BUT THIS NOT TRUE!!!

Accel not work!

Cube in Virtual Desctop not rotate, VLC player crash and etc.

May be this method only write word "supported"?

=)))

I think I have a similar problem to the poster before me. It breaks OpenGL on my 9600 AGP Radeon Mobility, Resolution Change is possible. QE and CI are enabled but do not seem to work properly.

So I am back to basic 9600 Support which is PCI but with QE and CI enabled and a fixed resolution, mouselocater gets rid of most graphical mouse glitches.

The 'breaking of the true QE and CI' on my system despite it being stated as working on the system profile might have something to do with the fact that I am running a SSE2 machine. The Ati.kexts on the 10.4.8 JaS install DVD were patched to work with SSE2 cpu's.

Edited by Mark1970

Thank you largo!

This also works for my ATI x300 with the JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3!

Now the System Profiler show Quartz Extreme and Core Image are supported. The DVD Player starts, but the Video doesn't run smooth... Any ideas?

Edited by Herc

Hi Largo, thanks for your solution.

I used it with my 9600 pro 256mg (device id 4150) agp card. When the machine boots I can see AGP and Callisto loading at startup, only problem was when I tried to change resolution, my CRT monitor would die. I think this has something to do with the EDID values in Callisto.kext/Contents/Info.plist. I have my correct EDID value and I tried editing the file with pledit (plist editor pro) as root but I couldn't save the changes. So I did 'chmod 777 Info.plist' which allowed me to save the file. Only problem now is that when the machine is booting it says Callisto Loaded but then nothing else. Do you know of a way to edit this file without that happening?

Thanks and regards.

I have my correct EDID value and I tried editing the file with pledit (plist editor pro) as root but I couldn't save the changes. So I did 'chmod 777 Info.plist' which allowed me to save the file.

Have you corrected the permissions and owners of the files after editing?

For the Owner:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /path/to/kextfile

and for the permissions:

sudo chmod -R 755 /path/to/kextfile

Edited by Herc

Hi Largo, thanks for your solution.

I used it with my 9600 pro 256mg (device id 4150) agp card. When the machine boots I can see AGP and Callisto loading at startup, only problem was when I tried to change resolution, my CRT monitor would die. I think this has something to do with the EDID values in Callisto.kext/Contents/Info.plist. I have my correct EDID value and I tried editing the file with pledit (plist editor pro) as root but I couldn't save the changes. So I did 'chmod 777 Info.plist' which allowed me to save the file. Only problem now is that when the machine is booting it says Callisto Loaded but then nothing else. Do you know of a way to edit this file without that happening?

Thanks and regards.

Hi Gambl0r,

Actually I have the same card as you do the AGP 9600 Pro (DevID 4150). As of right now I am using one of the newest 104.8 Reseeds for it and everything is good, I have QI and CE, but no matter what I do following the method here even I cant get resolution change which this method is supposed to address.

I was wondering if you could tell me which Callisto you used, and what EDID values you put in the Callisto.kext Plist? I would love to be able to get my 9600 Pro AGP to drive the full resolution on my monitor which I know it handles without a problem. The other times I would have full resolution but no QI and CE.

I believe if you could tell me the information above to get yours working correctly I could have this solved on my end and then maybe I could put up a method at least for 10.4.8, with step by step using the Mobility method and yours for the people that have the desktop 9600 Pro AGP card.

thanks and hope you can help me out,

Ashley :P

Mark1970 - you have really support QE and CI on 4e50?????

Yep on Jas 10.4.8 actually, mouse glitches and fixed resolution but yes! When I install AGPGart QE and CI disappears. With the above method QE and CI appears to work but actually isn't when you try to.

By just entering device ID in the appropriate kexts QE and CI works and the fixed default resolution of 1024x768 exactly matches my laptop LCD screen.

Mind you I am running JaS 10.4.8 on a SSE2 system. My graphics card is recognized as a regular PCI with 128Mb memory, I cannot change resolution but QE/CI and QE2D work like a charm both on my AGP 9600 Ati Radeib SSE3 system as on my AGP 9700 Ati Radeon Mobility. On my G4 I have a flashed PC Ati Radeon 9800 Pro.

Managed the same thing on my AGP 9600 256Mb Ati on the Asus machine (look in my sig). Games work, I am able to run the Halo Demo. Also popcap games function properly with hardware acceleration enabled. Quake 2 also works but the mouse cursor is screwed up bad when I return from the game. Running the game in a window works without that problem.

I am quite content with the laptop solution but I wanted a better supported graphics card on the desktop system. So I changed over to a Nvidia 6600GT 128Mb AGP but wasn't pleased at first. When I installed AGPGart and after that Natit 1.0 Universal I went to 100% graphics, res change everything works. I am even able to run Prey on the Nvidia card.

Edited by Mark1970

Hi Gambl0r,

Actually I have the same card as you do the AGP 9600 Pro (DevID 4150). As of right now I am using one of the newest 104.8 Reseeds for it and everything is good, I have QI and CE, but no matter what I do following the method here even I cant get resolution change which this method is supposed to address.

I was wondering if you could tell me which Callisto you used, and what EDID values you put in the Callisto.kext Plist? I would love to be able to get my 9600 Pro AGP to drive the full resolution on my monitor which I know it handles without a problem. The other times I would have full resolution but no QI and CE.

I believe if you could tell me the information above to get yours working correctly I could have this solved on my end and then maybe I could put up a method at least for 10.4.8, with step by step using the Mobility method and yours for the people that have the desktop 9600 Pro AGP card.

thanks and hope you can help me out,

Ashley :star_smile:

Hi latexgurl, I still havn't got it working correctly. I have tried putting in the correct EDID (which can be retrieved using a program called pheonix edid editor on windows) values for my monitor into Callisto.kext/Contents/Info.plist using Plist Editor Pro, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be making a difference. No matter which resolution I try, my monitor loses connection. The only way I can boot now is in safe mode (-x). Going to try adding the Graphics Mode to my com.apple.Boot.plist to try and force the correct mode.

Output of Callisto at startup:

CallistoHAL Initialized!

Callisto: omni's ATI Driver&FrameBuffer, build 003 (fixed), 27-May-2006

Callisto: Model Radeon 9600 AP (rv370)

Callisto: MMIO range@0x18 (ffcf0000) mapped to kernel virtual address 0x2b66d000

Callisto: 256 MB DDR SGRAM found on 128 bit wide bus

Callisto: VRAM range@0x10 (c0000000:10000000)

Callisto: Found ROM @0xc0000

Callisto: Legacy ATI BIOS detected

Callisto: Retreived PLL infos from BIOS

Callisto: Reference=27.00 MHz (RefDiv=12) Memory=398.00 Mhz, System=200.00 MHz

Callisto: PLL min 20000 max 40000

Callisto: Connection on port 1 not detected, but there is connection on port 2 (swapping 2->1)

Callisto: Found Monitor: CRT

Callisto: Monitor EDID retrieved

Callisto: done with Radeon 9600 AP

If anyone has any ideas to get this working please let me know, this is the closest its ever been to working. :censored2:

EDIT: The last line of the command 'dmesg' says: display: Not usable

EDIT2: After deleting the saved screen resolution settings and removing I can boot the machine normally but with a screen resolution of 1024x768. If I try adding "Graphics Mode" in com.apple.Boot.plist I get a small screen in the top left corner and the mouse is barely visible. Everything is working other than that, QI, CI and opengl all working fine (with mouse artifacts).

See screenshot -->

post-8461-1174105830_thumb.png

Edited by gambl0r

Okay First off Largo you are my hero I think!!!

I have it all working amazingly enough!!!!

Picture Below attached.

I followed most of what you did;

Your right doing a full install without any drivers for video was the way to go first.

The Commands to Remove Delete the Ati Drivers and then the OPENGL frameworks didnt work in Terminal for me so I had to remove them manually.

Also the Download file would automatically get untared when downloading in Safari so I had to

1. Login as Root

2. Delete the ATI Drivers and just for the hell of it all the Nvidia drivers manually and authenticat.

3. Delete the OpenGL frameworks the same way.

4. Untarred the the File with the Drivers and Kexts that you worked out so that its on the desktop in just the System folder it gets untarred too.

5. Drop the Ati and callisto texts in the Extensions folder and get rid of the caches manually.

6. Drop the OpenGL Frameworks folder in the proper place

7. Edited the Plist for the DeviceID 4150

8. Repaired permissions and all the CHOWN stuff.

9. Rebooted.

Okay after that i came in and noticed I had CI and QE and when I checked displays that showed I could change resolutions. I also checked the ripple effect in the Managing of Widgets and it worked. Not as fast as I like but........

Problem though came in when I tried to change from 1024x768 it immediately came up as resolution out of range on my monitor a Gateway 2278 22 inch wide LCD when I tried to do anything but 1024x768.

I solved this by moving from the VGA connector to the DVI connector now it seems to work great soo in summary

I have CI and QE

I can change resolutions all the way up to 1680 x 1050 at 60 hz and 70 hz on DVI. It crashes the monitor if I put the monitor driven from VGA.

The About this mac comes up with the Radeon 9600 AGP Pro being recongnized now as AGP also where before it was only being recognized as PCI before.

SO you have done what I thought I was going to have to go out and get a Nvidia 6600GT to do. Get the proper frequency driving, QE and CI, and get it to work in AGP instead of PCI. I have 256mb on my card but thats little stuff. I still have some artifacts but they are small and I am Giddy to get everything to work this well.

On top of all this its working on a 775DualVSTA board from Asrock.

All I can say is this Method works for Desktop AGP 9600 Pro Radeon cards From Saphire at least with the Vend ID of 1002 and the device ID of 4150.

Thanks all for your help and if I know something that could help I will be happy to help with what little knowledge I have in this blonde wavy haired head of mine.

:thumbsup_anim:

AGP9600PROOF.tiff

AGP9600PROOF.tiff

Edited by latexgurl

hi there,

i´ve followed your guide to get my ati9600 working properly.

but now my system does not even start! :censored2:

how can i get it start again??

plz help me

i won´t reinstall it, because it took me several hours to get it working on my inspiron 8600

Edited by dualist

okay there is no one online to help me with my problem!!!

i´m so sad about it, that my osx isn´t running any more, so that i´ve decided to reinstall everything new, starting with jas10.4.8 and fix my graphics first.

after that i have to refix all the problems i had before with my dell truemobile 1300 and my broadcom bcm440 ethernet.

i hope it works?!?!?

dualist

largo your advice was fantastic. I have a 128MB Mobility 9600 (4e50) in my HP compaq nc8000 laptop and using your method I have native resolution, QE and CI support running under JaS 10.4.8.

HOWEVER, I experience garbage when scrolling in a Finder window on the native resolution (which is the rather uncommon 1400 x 1050). On lower resolutions I have absolutely no problems, but the contents of Finder windows become garbage when I scroll :star_smile:

Nonetheless, thank you for your walkthrough and for including your drivers.

largo your advice was fantastic. I have a 128MB Mobility 9600 (4e50) in my HP compaq nc8000 laptop and using your method I have native resolution, QE and CI support running under JaS 10.4.8.

HOWEVER, I experience garbage when scrolling in a Finder window on the native resolution (which is the rather uncommon 1400 x 1050). On lower resolutions I have absolutely no problems, but the contents of Finder windows become garbage when I scroll :(

Nonetheless, thank you for your walkthrough and for including your drivers.

Use mouselocator with empty mouse graphic to sort that out!

I'm going to try Largo's advice on my Laptop's 9700 Mobility.