OS X for SSE (qemu)

Dragon

417 posts in this topic

heres a more creative reponse.

say i have the JaS 10.4.8 install DVD, fully patched all that jazz.

i'm running it right now, since i'm quite the amateur coder, can anyone give me tips on lowering the requirements to run, through raw code or actually removing code?

if anyone is familiar with nLite for Windows, how can we implecate the same concept for mac?

yea, there has to be a way to modify the source code. how different can PPC instructions be from P3?

at my schools radio station the cheif engineer used to code for basically the entire day, he said he used to be called a vampire, coming in to start before the sun rose, leaving work well after sunset, just coding. although he is a mac buff, i'm sure he'd be able to at least give some guidance...if i make it sound more of a learning experience than a hacking lesson.

@bonnstone

Are you running it on a Pentium 3? :rolleyes:

edit: I think he's asking us if there's a nLite-like way to edit the OSX86 DVD and to remove specific componements. He's thinks it should be easy to run OSX on any PC.

@bonnstone

There's a huge difference between PowerPC and Pentium 3. They are a different architecture.

@MacRetail - we do have the source code for the kernel.

Seriously, no one is prepared to put their money where there mouth is and start a contest here? All the code is there for a more experienced kernel dev than ourselves to have a go. If we use 10.4.8 sources then its even legal....

legal...a first for this forum.

Sorry for not responding I've been quite busy for four months but now unless something pops up i should be free for awhile. So i am downloading the OS as we speak (or type). Now that your going to recompile the kernel thats probably useless. I'm still willing to test anything that you guys put out. I do know a decent amount about computers so i hope i can help.

I think the kernel supports SSE already. You can boot up OSX86 in single user mode (= Darwin) and run commando applications (like uname etcetera).

I believe it's the OSX Aqua graphical interface that requires SSE2, and we don't have the source code for Aqua. Theoreticly, it should be possible however to implentate SSE2 emulation in the kernel, like the SSE3 emulation already existing. But it's way too complicated and the speed would be very low. (SSE2 is very complex, Velocity Engine on a G4)

Perhaps we should first try to use the QEMU user emulator (first boot up Darwin, then type "qemu-darwin-i386 AQUA", starting OSX Aqua interface). I have some questions about this theory:

A. Which Darwin command starts Aqua?

B. Where can I download QEMU User Space binary files?

C. Does "qemu-darwin-i386" emulate SSE2?

D. Does "qemu-darwin-i386" run Aqua/Rosetta?

Thanks,

MacRetail

edit: you"ll find more info here

Hi all, just looking about for other options and came across this sse2 emulator. I could be wrong and dont have the know how to implement its use but if you check out The Bochs x86 PC Emulator on http://lwn.net/Articles/66390/

"Bochs (pronounced box) is cross-platform PC emulator that was written by Kevin Lawton:

Bochs is a highly portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator written in C++, that runs on most popular platforms. It includes emulation of the Intel x86 CPU, common I/O devices, and a custom BIOS. Currently, Bochs can be compiled to emulate a 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium Pro or AMD64 CPU, including optional MMX, SSE, SSE2 and 3DNow instructions. Bochs is capable of running most Operating Systems inside the emulation including Linux, Windows 95, DOS, and Windows NT 4"

Was thinking this program could be used along with one of the patched dvd's. Might be completely wrong but just trying to bring something to the project.

Hello, Im new at that topic!

In my opinion the question is if we want to make a navtive installation (SSE2 Emu in the Kernel - much work + we need good programmers) or to boot from an other OS like Linux(less work, only configuration and no programmers needed + slower and not stable[until now])...

I'll now be here and discuss with you to get this damn working!!!

Thrawnhex

With every update OS X makes more use of SSE3 instructions. OS X on SSE2 machines is becoming slower every update. My system became very slow with 10.4.9 and horrifically slow with .10. :)

Believe me, running a modern version of OS X on a SSE only machine will be painfully slow and not worth the trouble. It's already painfully slow on my SSE2 computer now. If you really want OS X then buy a mac, or build a cheap modern hack for about $250.

Just my opinion.