OS X for SSE (qemu)

Dragon

417 posts in this topic

If you use my iso you can run it now. If you want to test it, I would be happy to get your feedback.

Btw @ndres: just edit the source where Jagermeisters post tells you to and compile.

hey guys i've downloaded the dragons slax iso and i've tried to run OSX but it didn't work i'll tell you what i've done

i burn the slax iso into a cd and boot from them, then i try to start OSX from my windows harddrive (qemu -m 384 -L . -cdrom /mnt/hdb2/Users/andres/desktop/OSX86.myz/OSX86.iso) the it tolds me can't open SDL display library, then i start fluxbox desktop (where i write this) an tried the same from a xterm window. qemu estarts OK but OSX freeze on ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0] an doesn't do nothing more i've tried with boot arguments plaform=ACPI | X86PC but nothing work what i'm doing wrong?

You can't boot from an OS X iso. It has to be a harddrive image. I had the same error when trying to boot the iso. So if you can, test with deadmoo harddrive image or you can create an image of a pre-installed OS X, by using dd.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd.htm

dd [bs=SIZE[sUFFIX]] [count=BLOCKS[sUFFIX]] if=FILE of=FILE [seek=BLOCKS[sUFFIX]] [skip=BLOCKS[sUFFIX]] [--size] [--list] [--progress]

just look up how to install deadmoo image for a guide on how to use dd.

that will create an image file which can call OSX.img and boot using qemu.

Emulating Os X it's not an option. I've emulated it on a Athlon Xp 2600 and it moves slow. I mean real slow. It's unusable for an operating system.

The only option is hacking Os X. As I understood there have been some guys who have hacked the kernel to allow SSE3 execution.

This will be the best approach. The only thing that needs to be done is making a kernel module for XNU which traps the SSE2/SSE3 code and emulates it. I think it's not a very big problem.

I've read on this forum that the guy Semthex has done the thing for SSE3. Also I've read that it has taken him some months. But the time problem here it's not with writing the actual emulating code. This can be done easy. The problem costing time for the programmer is to find the approach of doing this in the kernel and getting to know the kernel and fine tuning the solution. I think many programmers can do that task but it will take a long time because it will be the first time. I think that the best solution in the matter of time is that a guy like Semthex to do it because he have done it before and it will take him just weeks not months like it has taken him for the first attempt.

I mean if we are talking about this I can do it very quickly but XNU it's kernel I don't know.

Please excuse my English. It's not my native language.

hey dragon!

first than nothing thinks for answer

I´ve downloaded dd for windows then i run it but i don´t know how to use it, i´ve been looking up on google but i didn´t find anything about dd so con you please tell me how to use it ?

thinks a lot

http://techzoneonline.com/guides/computers...osx86/main.html

This shows the process of using dd to write the 10.4.1 image onto a drive. Switch around the if= and the of= so you create an image out of the partition.

Also of=\\.\PhysicalDrive# You can specify the partition : of=\\.\PhysicalDrive0Partition2

So your command will look something like this,

dd bs=1048576 if=\\.\PhysicalDrive#Partition# of=tiger-x86-flat.img (Replacing # with the numbers according to your setup) - See website

In command prompt, navigate to the folder which contains dd.exe like it says.

PS, it's much easier to do from linux.

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=tiger-x86-flat.img bs=512 skip=63

This will make an image of the second partition on the first harddrive. You can run this command from the ubuntu livecd.

Make sure you specify where to save the image. So change of=tiger-x86-flat.img to of=/path/to/save/location/tiger-x86-flat.img

Good luck :hysterical: I know it's complicated but you should catch on quickly.

well, i´ve done it, so i´ll tell you what i´ve done let me know where i´m wrong.

1)cd /path/to/dd

2)dd bs=1048576 if=E:\Users\andres\Desktoo\OSX86.myz\MacOSX86_10.4.6_DVDPATCHED_myzar.iso of=OSX.img

3)when i got the OSX.img file saved on the dd directory i tried to run from dragon´s slax iso

4) qemu -m 256 -localtime -usb -hda /mnt/hda1/Users/andres/Desktop/dd/OSX.img -boot c

Result: Can´t boot from disk0 or somenthing like that

So if i understand ( i don´t think so) i need to download the deadmoo image and install it to a phisical drive such like F:\ under windows then boot from them with qemu ??? its that right? cannot i create an a file like OSX.img to use it with qemu ??

please explain me.

Dragon a lot of things for help me and be so pacient with i´m just a newbie and i wanna test OSX

Pd: Sorry about English that´s not my native language.

i´ll be trying today all the day, tomorrow i´ve to do some homerwork

Soldier... I don't think your method is impossible, but I don't think it will be as easy as you think.

first, we would need to start with a darwin installation on a pc... (needs sse2 to install, but you might be able to use qemu)

Gcc generates most of(if not all) the sse2 calls. so someone "should" be able to patch gcc's source code to not generate sse2 commands. and recompile and install twice. Then recompile and update to 8.8.0(10.4.8) (This is supposedly hard to do... I have never done it.)

From there you could start with Semthex's 8.8.1 kernel and add in the sse2 emulation code... (his sse3 code also uses alot of sse2 so that would need to be rewritten to get any speed out of it what so ever.)

Keep in mind all that would have to be done in qemu or a sse2 able computer.

Now if by some chance this all worked(I can't promise that it will). You could start by creating an installer cd for this modded darwin so you could install it and test it in a sse1 only system, but you would probably need to create drivers for your system first...

Now after all that work, trust me it is way more difficult then it sounds. You should be able to install osx... not off the installer cd of course, but by using one of the old methods of copying files from an already install copy.

I'm not trying to discourage you... I agree that that is the best method to get osx86 on sse1 computers, but I think if we as a community want to get that done it would need to be a team effort... not just one programmer that works with the xnu kernel for a few weeks.

Dragon, thnxs for answer problem is that i haven´t an SSE2 computer.

I´m so agree with SenVa the best methon is integrating an SSE2/3 emulation code onto xnu kernel, but it must be work for all of us, i just don´t know how to do it but i can help testing and giving feedbacks.

It will require too much work to modify the kernel to emulate sse2. If you want to run it natively the cloest you will get is modding qemu to run sse natively.

If you want to test out my method,

Create an image of your OS X partition (@ndres download tiger-x86-flat.img)

boot from this image using qemu

Ok, so qemu is our easiest and shortet way to have OSX running on sse-less computers now my answer is, if we can install the deadmoo image to a physical harddrive is there anyway to create a script that we can add to the bootloader (windows or Linux bootloader) that automaticaly launch to Linuxbios and qemu Using a physical harddrive to save any changes made while emulating?

for me that´s the easiest way to emulate OSX on SSE - less computers and make it like just running native (obviously with LinuxBios the speed will increase a lot )

I haven't tried pointing qemu to an actual partition but using an image is exactly the same effect.

If you boot the tiger-x86-flat.img image using qemu the changes will be made to that image. At the moment on an sse2-less pc, we can boot OS X and use it just like a normal install, with a slight to medium speed loss.

Also, linuxbios will only make booting faster. So the user doesn't have to watch slax loading.

Ok. It is too slow for normal use. Not a bad idea though. Find an alternative to qemu. Use another emu. You cant emulate instructions and get half speed in return....

Well, I used to run PearPC on one of the fastest SSE-only computers ever made (Amd Athlon XP 3200+, 512MB RAM) in Vector Linux and it worked great. It booted up almost as fast as my Mac mini (although my Mac mini was way faster in everything else).

However, PearPC ran terribly slow on an other SSE computer (Celeron 1Ghz, 256MB RAM) with Windows XP.

So we would definitly need a very light window manager; KDE, Gnome are too heavy if we want maximum performance. I'd use XFCE, IceWM, fvwm or something like that.

That would be 1. SLAX Popcorn Edition (with XFCE) + 2. Dragon's PearPC Module + 3. OSX-iso or Hard Drive Image on the Harddisk + 4. Make it easy to use, make PearPC start up automaticly after boot up